Home
Feature Article
Madden NFL 12 Reviewer Impressions: Presentation

One of the most cosmetic changes to come to Madden in years are the various presentation enhancements throughout the game. No longer are we treated with bad camera angles and a non-broadcast feel -- we now have something that's finally catching up with the rest of the pack in our genre. But don't get too excited yet, Madden NFL 12 still has a good bit to go.

New Camera Angles

I think Madden is close to doing about as good of a job as any sports game on mirroring the correct camera angles in games. The angles themselves are very well done and the lens 'effects' used, such as the distortion for a wide angle lens, are just phenomenal. There is some good variety in the camera work as well. Each game has a different feel thanks to the different camera angles and whatnot, whereas in prior years Madden was way too repetitive in regards to camera angles and cutscenes.

But the new angles aren't perfect. They'll show off the other parts of the presentation that aren't as good. Players will still walk aimlessly around after a play and run into each other, the close ups of the crowd look laughable, and a lot of the other shots are ruined because the players just don't act real. It's as if Madden continually tries to convince you that you are watching an NFL Broadcast and even when it becomes obvious you aren't, it keeps trying.

Another positive about the cameras are the new team intros -- they're authentic and they look pretty darned good. There is some variety as well, and perhaps a bit more variety in the camera angles within each intro in future years would really make this a real strong point with the game. As it is, each team has an authentic entrance which usually plays out in a very similar manner each game, the only caveat is that the camera work is if not completely the same, very similar each time you start up a game. Visually, the camera angles help make Madden one of the finer looking games in our genre.

But small steps here people. Small steps. The camera angles are indeed a very nice addition to the game and have made what was once a horribly boring game to play a little more exciting. 

It's so pretty

Madden NFL 12 is one of the best looking games in our genre. The stadiums, the lighting, the players -- they all look absolutely splendid. If you add in the right time of day, the way shadows are cast over a field can be just jaw dropping. The art team deserves a lot of praise for a lot of what makes Madden look just fantastic.

And let's not even stop there, the graphical overlays and the menus -- it's a visual buffet festival throughout the entirety of Madden NFL 12. Play a game in the late afternoon with Cowboys Stadium open with clear skies, that's the kind of visuals I think we all envisioned for this generation of consoles. 

Now there are some legit gripes, but they may lie in hardware limitations mores than anything else. The crowd can look really bad for sure, as can the sidelines. It's probably impossible to model 200 people on the sidelines and 80,000 good looking fans -- so I'm giving the Madden team a complete pass on that. 

Gary JOHNSON is a BAD announcer (at least in Madden)

Whatever the camera angles do for the game to start engrossing you into an NFL broadcast, you are continually reminded that the announcing is potentially the worst in this generation of consoles. Sorry Smackdown vs. Raw, you might've been one upped by Madden of all franchises -- although I'm not sure I'm ready to completely go that far yet.

Gus Johnson and Chris Collingsworth are either continually changing volumes, pitches or tones. Sometimes they are consistently behind a play. If they aren't doing any of that, they're calling players by the wrong name or worse, just calling them by their jersey number. And should I mention that Arizona has dropped the 's' from their name and followed the route of the Stanford Cardinal.

Everyone who isn't a hardcore college football fan still wonders what the heck that one's supposed to mean.

The commentary is really a poor showing in so many ways. At best, you can say the camera enhancements and commentary are a wash. At worst, you can say the commentary is so bad that the presentation often feels it's taken a step backwards.

The Other Sounds

There are some glitches within the sounds, and the crowd at times feels completely artificial and lifeless -- but the rest of the audio of theMadden package isn't too bad at all. The sound is not on a level that's great, but it's very solid.

A better way to put it is that everything else could use some work, but you aren't going to spend time saying the crowd noise, stadium music, etc. is atrocious. Granted, I was always taught that audio is 51 percent of your picture, but so long as the rest of the audio never sinks to the commentaries low of this year I think I'll feel OK about Madden.

Other Odds and Ends

The rest of the presentation and design of the game can really be summed up as a mixed bag. There are numerous gaffes in terms of uniforms and field art. There are even some things to do with other little details within the game. These are things that the hardcore fans of certain teams will see and be annoyed. But fans of the other 31 teams (or casual fans) will completely overlook them. So to make a big deal out of those issues is a big exercise in missing the point -- but I'd hope that in the future these are issues that are indeed cleared up.

Wrapping it Up

The Presentation has indeed taken a huge step up, but let's not lose perspective here people. Madden NFL 12's presentation is nowhere near great -- the audio issues and the other various issues hold the game quite a ways back from a level thats either great or classic. Madden NFL 12's presentation is good. It still lags far behind some other games in our genre which can be considered as having a great presentation to the user, the commentary alone guarantees that outcome.

But for those who's biggest gripe with Madden over the years hasn't been the gameplay, but the presentation, you are going to see an NFL game that finally looks like an NFL Broadcast. Just be sure to mute the commentators because the illusion is quickly broken the moment they begin to speak.

Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 roadman @ 08/28/11 02:20 PM
Yep, that's what I heard, the commentary is horrible. Hopefully, with FIFA's sound technology, the future Madden's, starting with 13, will be vastly improved.

# 2 DubTrey1 @ 08/28/11 02:25 PM
Clear, detailed and to the point reviews like this here on OS allow those of us who are on the fence - save 60$ for a game we had "hoped" was better than it turned out to actually be. Great impressions and review.

# 3 mirrored32 @ 08/28/11 02:31 PM
"Gus Johnson and Chris Collingsworth are either continually changing volumes, pitches or tones. Sometimes they are consistently behind a play. If they aren't doing any of that, they're calling players by the wrong name or worse, just calling them by their jersey number. And should I mention that Arizona has dropped the 's' from their name and followed the route of the Stanford Cardinal."

as a recording engineer, it is quite easy to error on year to year implementation of voice over recordings. You can setup the same environment and the same mic and the next year something changes slightly. yeah i agree there should have been a redo on the voice over for the commentary, though it has been said publicly that Madden 13'f focus was to be on commentary. So I suspect commentary didn't get a lot of love this year.

with that said, it is pretty annoying that the execution of what i feel makes up for a 1/3 of the games emotion is lost with not quite jittery commentary, and loss of player names and talk. bad edits make for a not as much fun experience. the attention to details isn't there. not a Super Bowl execution from the team unfortunately.

# 4 JayD @ 08/28/11 02:32 PM
I just hope they get rid of Gus Johnson soon, can't stand that guy!

# 5 Radja @ 08/28/11 02:36 PM
i had to turn down gus johnson a bit from 11 just to enjoy the game. when he is at standard volume, he takes far more away from the game than he adds.

a three yard pile up should not sound like he just broke off for a TD. when you play 2k11 and follow that up with madden, you feel from commentary standpoint you went back to the PS1 days.

# 6 TearsOfPurple @ 08/28/11 02:45 PM
Yeah, no arguing the commentary sucks. At least next year we are getting new commentary engine (FIFA's?). I can live with it for a year, not like that's a big deal to me, I just like having the commentary on for the noise. I really don't pay attention to it otherwise.

# 7 vstro @ 08/28/11 02:47 PM
It seems pretty sad that this years game isn't even out yet (officially) and we're already talking about hoping for features in next years game.

# 8 bonannogiovanni @ 08/28/11 07:00 PM
My real disappointment is the lack of the extra point show. It was introduced 2 years ago, it was horrible, but at least it was their first try to make something similar to 2k5 sportcenter, they should have built from that, instead last year it was an exact replica, well, I thought, they decided not to touch franchise mode in 11, you'll see what they've got in store for us in madden 12...... nothing, removed, we're back at 09.
Having said that, I'm a happy camper nonetheless, Madden 12 is the best Madden presentation-wise, no one can deny it.

# 9 steelernation28 @ 08/28/11 07:06 PM
Maybe next year? Maybe next year? Maybe next year? Maybe next year? Maybe next year? Maybe next year? Maybe next year? (06-12) I'm tired EA. That's like the 'Bungles' battle cry. Next year, yeah right. Ha ha the joke is on me for actually looking forward to this game.

# 10 CFav @ 08/28/11 11:41 PM
A friend of mine grabbed the game early and he says the commentary is absolutely a bugged filled mess(That's his words, not mine btw). I can't back that up myself as I haven't played it, but he's been in the industry for awhile and doesn't tend too blow smoke.

That's all I've heard about so far...

# 11 gerg1234 @ 08/29/11 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFav
A friend of mine grabbed the game early and he says the commentary is absolutely a bugged filled mess(That's his words, not mine btw). I can't back that up myself as I haven't played it, but he's been in the industry for awhile and doesn't tend too blow smoke.

That's all I've heard about so far...
The commentary is beyond terrible. If I had a dollar for every time they talk about the CB going for the pick and missing on passing plays I would have the game paid for by now. They even said it on a few HB Slip Screen plays!

Collinsworth puts me to sleep too.

# 12 zmcman1 @ 08/29/11 12:46 AM
"If they aren't doing any of that, they're calling players by the wrong name or worse, just calling them by their jersey number."

Gary Johnson, Chris Collingsworth, lol

# 13 SteelerSpartan @ 08/29/11 03:42 AM
While there are still many things I want fixed with this game.....

Im very much thankful that EA went out and got a TV crew to show em how its done....this was a very wise investment, and I hope it only gets better from here regarding those

# 14 kbmnm247 @ 08/29/11 04:19 AM
Now I know why there was no commentary in the demo

# 15 TreyIM2 @ 08/29/11 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonannogiovanni
My real disappointment is the lack of the extra point show. It was introduced 2 years ago, it was horrible, but at least it was their first try to make something similar to 2k5 sportcenter, they should have built from that, instead last year it was an exact replica, well, I thought, they decided not to touch franchise mode in 11, you'll see what they've got in store for us in madden 12...... nothing, removed, we're back at 09.
Having said that, I'm a happy camper nonetheless, Madden 12 is the best Madden presentation-wise, no one can deny it.
Ditto. It was the start of something that could have been great with continual work. Maybe they pulled it to improve on it for next yr. Doubt it but, eh, whatever....

I have to say that the presentation as far as the new cam angles and intros is nice but, of course, they get tired after a while. Been playing this game since Friday and I can't help but to feel bored of it after the demo excited me so much yet I'll stop there. It's about presentation here, right? And YEA the commentary sux!! Heh...

# 16 Nab_Impervious_XII @ 08/29/11 08:44 AM
Gus Johnson is an amazing commentator. This is obvious to anyone who's watched a Gus Johnson commentated NFL game in real life. This is completely on EA's sound department which has been coasting the past few years.

# 17 RaychelSnr @ 08/29/11 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmcman1
"If they aren't doing any of that, they're calling players by the wrong name or worse, just calling them by their jersey number."

Gary Johnson, Chris Collingsworth, lol
If we are really being true to the Madden NFL 12 Announcer Formula you actually meant Gary Johnson and Announcer # 2.

# 18 cyborg.ninja24 @ 08/29/11 12:18 PM
The replay system, announcers, and lack of a halftime show is laughable. I do love the new camera angles. Player intro is nice the first few times but gets old fast.

# 19 SGMRock @ 08/29/11 12:29 PM
I see way more stuff this year being called wrong by commentators. Its bad enough they sound lame as ever but do they have to say stuff like.

"And the Lions look to score again after getting the ball in excellent field position." Hmm after the defense just downed the ball on the 1 yrd line on a punt!!!!! Happens a lot, he said that when I had the ball at the 10, or 15 or 7....

He says lots of other things that are way off too. Collingsworth, don't get my started...

I like the camera stuff, I like the starting lineup things coming out on the field too but after seeing them 1x you just skip them. :P

I think its cool they show the offense and defensive lineup but its the same thing everytime. They always talk about the same player. So that also gets old, also in order to see a lot of the precentation stuff you have to make sure you don't press buttons to fast after plays or it skips them and you don't realize it.

The halftime thing shows some of the big plays but it needs some sort of voice overlay to have it be cool. Just showing the plays makes it pretty vanilla.

# 20 malky @ 08/29/11 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelernation28
Maybe next year? Maybe next year? Maybe next year? Maybe next year? Maybe next year? Maybe next year? Maybe next year? (06-12) I'm tired EA. That's like the 'Bungles' battle cry. Next year, yeah right. Ha ha the joke is on me for actually looking forward to this game.
Dude, this is the most honest post I've seen in a long time, couldn't agree more! I hate that maybe next year stuff!

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.