Home
Feature Article
FIFA 12 Demo Roundtable

What do you think of the FIFA Soccer 12 Demo?

Jayson Young: FIFA 12's player movement and contact animations put every other sports franchise, except Backbreaker to shame. The fluidity of movement is simply amazing, especially coming off playing robotic, unrealistic-looking games like Madden and NCAA Football.

FIFA 12 achieves broadcast realism with its television camera view, top-notch commentary, gorgeous lighting and boisterous stadiums.

Teammate AI remains the FIFA series' weakest point. There's still the feeling that you have to do everything yourself, and are stuck playing 1 vs. 11 against the CPU while the rest of your team plucks daffodils and stares emptily into space.

Overall, FIFA 12 seems to be an early game of the year favorite, well ahead of the mediocre American football titles that have shipped the last two months.

Kelvin Mak: I like it, but I don't love it.

First off, it's an incredibly good looking game. The presentation is beautiful, as are the stadium and the pitch itself. Players have a variety of animations, and I especially loves the little dink passes from the more skillful ones. This is the closest I've seen in a soccer video game to visually replicate the real thing.

The new collision system is a work in progress, which is expected. I don't think anybody thought that right out of the gate EA would get this one even close to perfect. At its best, the collisions look and function great, with players tussling and tumbling when they lose balance. But at its worst, it reminded me of something of a cross between NHL 12-- smashmouth bodychecks with no fouls called-- and The Three Stooges.

Tactical defending is a solid concept, and it was the one thing I looked forward to trying out. But the execution, so far in the demo, falls just short. I found it a little difficult to contain the opposition on the ball, but that's not my main gripe as a good half hour or so in the tutorial taught me to be patient. My main problem is that the my AI teammates can get very bloody passive (read: clueless). It's sort of like the pendulum has swung too far the other way, as in previous FIFAs you wouldn't have been able to breathe once you passed the halfway line, now it seems like you get too much time. This is especially evident when the opposition enters my defensive third and on crosses. My best bet to get an AI centerback to do his job and apply pressure, so far, is to get on my knees and pray. Hopefully this is something that will be fixed by slider or tactic tweaks. But even with the missteps, this is still a necessary step forward for the series.

Speaking of tactics, it's hard to spot how the game plays when I'm playing with one eye on the clock with the three minute halves, but I see encouraging signs that not everything needs to be funneled down the wings. With precision dribbling, which was a blast to use in tight areas, I've played some beautiful interchanges with Xavi and Iniesta before sending Messi clear to slot it home. 

So after playing the demo, FIFA 12 is basically exactly what I thought it would be -- a year of necessary innovation that hasn't worked out all its kinks just yet.

Dustin Toms: I'm going to be honest right off the bat. I haven't played FIFA since '09, so I'm a little behind in the times when it comes to soccer gaming (last one I played was PES on the 3DS).

With that out of the way, I can say I'm somewhat impressed with the FIFA 12 demo. I know the franchise has been highly praised in the past, and I think that praise will continue.

The commentary is refreshing, especially after playing Madden for the past two weeks. They do a great job at keeping the game interesting while calling the match at the same time.

The tactical defense is pretty slick as well. Unlike Kelvin, I felt it was a little too easy to contain your defender. It gets more difficult as you up your level, but with skill, time and patience, it won't be hard to master whatsoever.

I wish I could go more in depth, but I haven't played FIFA for a couple years so I'm not sure what has been in the game. But it definitely seems like a good game to grab. With that said, the game is fun but not great. It feels too easy right now, but the three-minute halves don't let you get a feel for the game at all.

Caley Roark: Like my colleagues, I found a lot to like in the limited time I had to play the demo. 

First, the tactical defending, even if it isn't 100 percent effective, should make defending a bit more fun. In the past, it was too easy to ride the A button the entire game. Sure, that wouldn't have meant consistent success, but it didn't demand much though either.

The new system feels a lot better, but it also seems a little "under-tuned," for lack of a better word. I thought the tutorial felt great, but in-game, the defending seemed watered down in comparison. Like Kelvin points out, the AI doesn't help much, and you are often left trying to double the pressure while actually moving to cover someone else.

I think offense feels really good, especially the passing and the deflected shots. I felt like the AI defenders gave me too much room to maneuver, but when it came down to crunch time, I didn't ever seem to have good lanes to shoot through. Almost seemed like they were playing a "bend but don't break" defense.

Beyond that, presentation is great, but has been for a while in this series, so it didn't feel that new to me. 

FIFA Soccer 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 ZoneBlitz @ 09/19/11 02:20 PM
Really? Has anyone of these fine reviewers played PES 2012?

FIFA looks great but has nowhere near the depth of play as PES 2012. In FIFA you really can't tell the difference between teams, and there is no real strategic passing. The players are very passive and, like one roundtable reviewer said, it really is 1 vs. 11. It is a good game, but I don't think it's great. Graphics alone is increasingly not enough to carry a $60 title.

# 2 EvanRG @ 09/19/11 03:19 PM
Dear Editors and writers for Operation Sports,

I hope I don't sound condescending, but have you played Pro Evolution Soccer?
Make whatever assumptions you want, but it would seem that the journalistic approach is to look at both sides of the competition. The editor for my paper would fire me if I failed to get both sides of a story. I do hope that you are going to do a roundtable for PES as well.

It also doesn't look very beneficial to have people who openly admit to not playing a soccer game for several years because that'd be like me trying to give my opinion on the newest Rugby World Cup game.

It frustrates me when we complain about a lack of competition in other video game sports like Madden or NCAA football, yet when we have a great competition in this genre, we do not even give both games a proper look-over.

# 3 Qb @ 09/19/11 03:56 PM
You do indeed sound quite condescending, as you (and others) have in the demo impressions thread of late. We get it, you don't like FIFA and prefer PES. Simple enough and leave it at that. There's no need to talk down to those who don't share your opinion or to challenge others to prove you wrong (that was someone else, I know).

The part that I find amusing is many people in the soccer forums here are fond of both games to some extent, myself included. As I've said in other threads in the past few days, any attempt to create two camps to butt heads for supremacy is not going to happen.

# 4 dmacgreg37 @ 09/19/11 04:17 PM
It's not JUST graphics alone. You also get several hundred real teams. I owned both games in 2011, and like both for their own areas (Fifa - graphics, depth of teams, personally found the play to be more fluid and less robotic, and PES for depth of mode in dynasty/master league, customization). But it's certainly not just graphics that are better on FIFA.

# 5 Panicshade @ 09/19/11 04:32 PM
I have seen prior news articles here about PES 2012 so I know that OS does report about it but I still haven't seen an official "Demo is out" post from OS about the PES 2012 demo. Also there hasn't been an article on PES 2012 for almost a month. I think that is what has some people irritated. I think instead of a FIFA only roundtable it should have been a comparison of both games' pros & cons.

My question is will there be an article focusing on PES 2012 so it gets equal time for discussion or not?

# 6 VladCanada @ 09/19/11 05:05 PM
I too would like some more articles about PES. A Roundtable look at it would be very interesting.

# 7 EvanRG @ 09/19/11 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
You do indeed sound quite condescending, as you (and others) have in the demo impressions thread of late. We get it, you don't like FIFA and prefer PES. Simple enough and leave it at that. There's no need to talk down to those who don't share your opinion or to challenge others to prove you wrong (that was someone else, I know).

The part that I find amusing is many people in the soccer forums here are fond of both games to some extent, myself included. As I've said in other threads in the past few days, any attempt to create two camps to butt heads for supremacy is not going to happen.
Well be that as it may, I am not knocking on Fifa in any way. In fact, I didn't even mention the quality of Fifa in my post so you have no idea if I even enjoyed it or not.

Yes, I made the switch to PES last year after Fifa grew stale and I wanted something different, but I have given my money to Fifa several times in the past and have only just started playing PES last year. I purchased both games and made the decision to pick the one I enjoyed the most (i.e. an informed decision not based on input from others)

The point is that OS does not look good by ignoring PES totally in it's official posts. It's sad that we as users have to initiate all the talk about a well-known game that is quite popular.

P.S. PES has a game speed setting (try -2).

# 8 clivo1050 @ 09/19/11 06:15 PM
I think the passing is better and the graphics are more realistic in PES, but I have a hard time finding what else it does better than FIFA.

FIFA has much better control, goalies play much more realistic and has much better online modes.

# 9 clipperfan811 @ 09/19/11 06:36 PM
I like QB's take on this, there's really no benefit to creating two groups that bash each other just for being on the opposite team.

I've played both demo's pretty extensively and both games have plus and minus over each other. And it's not just PES =ai FIFA = graphics, they both have some nice aspects on each front. TO ME there is a clear choice as far as one being more entertaining TO ME. I hope both games continue to push each other, as long as that happens we all win, period.

# 10 EvanRG @ 09/19/11 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by clipperfan811
I like QB's take on this, there's really no benefit to creating two groups that bash each other just for being on the opposite team.

I've played both demo's pretty extensively and both games have plus and minus over each other. And it's not just PES =ai FIFA = graphics, they both have some nice aspects on each front. TO ME there is a clear choice as far as one being more entertaining TO ME. I hope both games continue to push each other, as long as that happens we all win, period.
Well said, I'm disappointed QB feels that I was trying to "pick sides" or alienate players into groups but that's actually what I was trying to say is wrong right now. When OS only does ONE roundtable for Fifa and forgets about PES completely, wouldn't that insinuate that they have in fact picked sides?

# 11 Qb @ 09/19/11 08:58 PM
No, I think it means they did a demo roundtable for FIFA12. Why does everything have to be such a big deal?

As for your stance Evan, remember I'm reading most of the posts in both forums. I saw a few of your posts in the impressions thread (grouped with others), then this one, so forgive me if that caused me to misunderstand your post.

# 12 Bahnzo @ 09/19/11 10:47 PM
I'm glad to see that at least Kelvin Mak agrees with me that the new Tactical Defending goes too far. A good idea that EA overdid w/o balancing the game. It looks great on the outside of the box, but really needed more refining before being included in the game. One of those decisions where I'm sure the Marketing department rules out over everyone else.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.