Home
Feature Article
Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 Demo Roundtable

Kelvin Mak: There's a lot to like in the PES 2012 demo.

The biggest flaws in last year's game, such as defenders being unrealistically faster than attackers and teammate/goalkeeper AI are fixed for the most part, but goalkeepers still have the odd moment of braincramps and butterfingers. They don't happen anywhere near enough to hamper the experience, but the flaws are there.

The player AI works as well as advertised. It's good to finally have some support, especially when I'm on the counter and see my fullbacks storming down the flanks, outnumbering the opposition. It's a glorious sight to behold. On that note, one thing the PES franchise -- even during its trainwreck years -- does really well is the feeling that a goal can come from anywhere. That feeling is still alive and well in this demo. I saw a good variety of goals, via some surprisingly clever player movements.

The game speed seemed a little quick on default, but I've found that (-1) is ideal if you don't want as much helter skelter like play. This game rewards patience and possession, that's for sure.

By and large, it's nice to have the ability to control off the ball players on set pieces, but what annoyed me is that when I switch players, the AI always follows the player I'm controlling. Normally this makes sense, but when I station two players in close vicinity, and the best bet for the AI defender is to stay somewhere between the two, it doesn't. Instead, it instantly follows the player I control (even before I move him) like it can read my mind.

I'm scoring plenty of long range screamers, more so than in the first demo when the ball felt a lot more "floaty", but it almost seems like they're a little too easy to come by now. To be fair, I haven't played on top player yet, so maybe that changes things.

Now on to presentation. Yes, the franchise is known more for what's under the hood than what meets the eye, but still, the animation and graphics are getting a little stale -- especially compared to that other game. This, of course, won't break the game, but it's still something worth pointing out.

And please, for the love of God, Konami, can you at least give us the option to skip the almost feature length promo movie upon our eigth viewing?

Jayson Young: The FIFA 12 demo sure is pretty, but I love that PES 2012 actually features intelligent AI which forces teams to build their attack gradually instead of abusing than the old turbo down the wings and crossing volley strategy that's plagued soccer games for years now.

PES 2012's AI's defending almost seems too good at times compared to the limited user control on defense. The slide tackle and standing tackle buttons are dreaded dice rolls where the player briefly loses control and sweats it out for a few seconds while the game consults Paul the Octopus on which animation to randomly pick. Konami's PES series is really starting to fall behind FIFA in the areas of defensive control and player contact. 

PES 2012's jerky, zig-zaggy running also looks years behind FIFA's movement engine, which undermines PES' life-like head shots of stars like Bayern Munich's Philipp Lahm and Bastian Schweinsteiger whenever the camera zooms in on replays.

This may be a year where soccer fans want to pick both Konami's and EA's games, as based on these demos, each offering is going to be a high quality title with unique strengths and weaknesses. FIFA 12 looks like it has the edge in presentation, animations and online play, while PES 2012 offers smoother passing, smarter AI and a style of play that's less about individual skill and more about team soccer.

Caley: The first thing I noticed about the PES demo was how weighty the passing game felt. I'm not sure if it's due to the physics or animations, but passing seems spot on, at least in terms of heft and weight of the ball. It seems to decelerate and roll at just the right pace.

I also loved the how reactive passing feels; rarely did I push the ball to the wrong man or feel like the AI cheaply read my pass. This ease may disappear as the difficulty is increased, but on default it was extremely responsive.

On the other hand, the responsive passing and quick pace of the game made it feel a little too "pin-bally" at times. I think a slower setting would ramp up the tactical elements of the game, and showcase what seems to be terrific AI.

Graphically, it looks a little muddy, especially on the replays. I think the player faces look good enough, but they have a little of that "dead-eye" going on. 

I'll agree with Jayson in saying that defense is hit or miss, and that the controls didn't seem as intuitive as FIFA. I'll also agree that PES 2012 is a game to keep an eye on, especially if you've stuck with FIFA out of habit.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 mf756193 @ 09/21/11 12:34 PM
This game is so much better than Fifa 12. It's just a shame that they can't get more licensed teams in the game!

# 2 ps3veron @ 09/21/11 12:39 PM
Fantastic game I must say, feels like the old ISS' all over!

# 3 ty5oke @ 09/21/11 01:09 PM
Great game and really enjoyed the demo. Not sure I agree with the defense remarks made in the article or maybe I just misunderstood. Its tough to defend at times but you just need to get the timing down correctly. I try to make sure to use the standing tackle when the ball is away from the CPU's foot, otherwise I get burnt. The training mode is a good way to practice defending.

As mentioned in the impressions thread, the only minor flaws I've been seeing are keepers could be better and CPU could possess the ball better.

# 4 Soho @ 09/21/11 02:51 PM
I didnt liked the PES at all .. i played both demos many times and my choice were FIFA
Pes looked way too dark , and fast as hell, player spacing was bad..
I liked PES more when i played soccer years back
But first time i buy FIFA.. cuz i liked graphics.. and gameplay more than PES
Sure maybe PES as better AI
But Fifa have better user control over game
U can control ur nearest teammates to help u to defend some 1 and defenive arsenal of moves what there have is just amazing
IMO PES is for casual gamers
and FIFA is for simballers

# 5 EvanRG @ 09/21/11 03:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soho
I didnt liked the PES at all .. i played both demos many times and my choice were FIFA
Pes looked way too dark , and fast as hell, player spacing was bad..
I liked PES more when i played soccer years back
But first time i buy FIFA.. cuz i liked graphics.. and gameplay more than PES
Sure maybe PES as better AI
But Fifa have better user control over game
U can control ur nearest teammates to help u to defend some 1 and defenive arsenal of moves what there have is just amazing
That last part is quite the statement Soho.

There are some things that people unknowledgeable of PES should know:

- Option Files that can be transferred by USB drive -- allow for the game to contain fully licensed leagues, teams, kits, logos, players (with actual appearances) and stadiums.

- PES offers a speed option that allows the game to be slowed down. I recommend -2 because 0 is way too fast on default.

- The player movement and speed takes a while to get used to coming from the quick and bouncy Fifa, but after a while you realize it mimics actual soccer very well.

I love that both games are bringing the heat this year, but it's disappointing to see Fifa's marketing machine and Konami's lack thereof because there is a lot of misconceptions with PES -- specifically about Licensing and the sort.

# 6 Qb @ 09/21/11 03:18 PM
Quote:
Please don't make these types of blanket polarizing statements. It's easy enough to state factual strengths and weaknesses of both games without resorting to this.

# 7 Greene_Flash03 @ 09/21/11 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Please don't make these types of blanket polarizing statements. It's easy enough to state factual strengths and weaknesses of both games without resorting to this.
I feel bad for you Qb... lol

I just hope they just release these games so people can stop comparing... lol

# 8 clipperfan811 @ 09/21/11 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanRG
That last part is quite the statement Soho.

There are some things that people unknowledgeable of PES should know:

- Option Files that can be transferred by USB drive -- allow for the game to contain fully licensed leagues, teams, kits, logos, players (with actual appearances) and stadiums.

- PES offers a speed option that allows the game to be slowed down. I recommend -2 because 0 is way too fast on default.

- The player movement and speed takes a while to get used to coming from the quick and bouncy Fifa, but after a while you realize it mimics actual soccer very well.

I love that both games are bringing the heat this year, but it's disappointing to see Fifa's marketing machine and Konami's lack thereof because there is a lot of misconceptions with PES -- specifically about Licensing and the sort.
I honestly think that a mix between the control of FIFA and PES 12 would be just right, neither gets it well enough.

I compare PES 12 to NBA 2k10 in that you often feel out of control of the player. It's an extremely difficult line to tightrope but let's not kid ourselves PES needs some extensive tuning to it's movement engine.

I also agree with you about Soho's last bit, It's definitely the other way around but guys who blatantly prefer PES and slam FIFA are turning a blind eye to some decently serious flaws in order to soak in that ai. It's not like PES plays perfect and just looks ugly or FIFA just looks gorgeous and plays crap. There are certain gameplay elements that I greatly prefer in FIFA but there's no getting around that the offensive buildup ai is a step above in PES.

Let's hope both games continue to push each other to someday achieve football Nirvana!

# 9 EvanRG @ 09/21/11 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by clipperfan811
I honestly think that a mix between the control of FIFA and PES 12 would be just right, neither gets it well enough.

I compare PES 12 to NBA 2k10 in that you often feel out of control of the player. It's an extremely difficult line to tightrope but let's not kid ourselves PES needs some extensive tuning to it's movement engine.

I also agree with you about Soho's last bit, It's definitely the other way around but guys who blatantly prefer PES and slam FIFA are turning a blind eye to some decently serious flaws in order to soak in that ai. It's not like PES plays perfect and just looks ugly or FIFA just looks gorgeous and plays crap. There are certain gameplay elements that I greatly prefer in FIFA but there's no getting around that the offensive buildup ai is a step above in PES.

Let's hope both games continue to push each other to someday achieve football Nirvana!
I'm still fairly new to PES considering that I picked it up last December and never previously played it for the very same reason that many Fifa players don't. They don't think it's a viable alternative.

So the game still feels very fresh and enjoyable. Another big part of why I love PES is the presentation element and graphics. I guess I'm in the minority but the game intros and especially the fact that Konami has the ACTUAL pre-game video and music for champions league matches adds to the experience so much.

The instant replays are also something that I love. The camera angles and blur effect that PES has makes it very TV like in its presentation.

The whole package of PES just feels more like an experience whereas I am so used to the whole EA presentation (or lack thereof) having played all of their games for dozens of years.

I guess that in a nutshell is why I am a fan of PES at this current time.

# 10 Soho @ 09/21/11 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Well fifa u have to read game and know controls if u want to understand the game
PES u just play its simple and easy
thats why there is so many PES lovers out there atm
My last game was PES 2005 or so havent played soccer games since then only demos last year...
So u cant call me FIFA fan,,,

# 11 clipperfan811 @ 09/21/11 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanRG
I'm still fairly new to PES considering that I picked it up last December and never previously played it for the very same reason that many Fifa players don't. They don't think it's a viable alternative.

So the game still feels very fresh and enjoyable. Another big part of why I love PES is the presentation element and graphics. I guess I'm in the minority but the game intros and especially the fact that Konami has the ACTUAL pre-game video and music for champions league matches adds to the experience so much.

The instant replays are also something that I love. The camera angles and blur effect that PES has makes it very TV like in its presentation.

The whole package of PES just feels more like an experience whereas I am so used to the whole EA presentation (or lack thereof) having played all of their games for dozens of years.

I guess that in a nutshell is why I am a fan of PES at this current time.
I'm pretty new to football games, I've only owned FIFA 09 and played the demo's for FIFA 10,11,12 and the demo for PES 12. I'll have to try out a full version of PES to really get into an in dept discussion BUT.

I definitely can see where PES has graphical advantages over FIFA I just think as a whole and more importantly in some key animation implementations (which greatly affect gameplay) FIFA comes out with the edge.

I agree with what they were saying in the roundtable discussion about PES looking like it's a few years behind in certain movement systems. And at the same time I think that certain FIFA animations are way too fast and don't look realistic at all.

Either way it's exciting to jump into a previously untapped genre for me, so I can't wait to see how both series improve.

# 12 EvanRG @ 09/21/11 04:54 PM
I didn't say everyone is unknowledgeable, but if I had a nickel for everytime someone brings up the licensing issue then I'd be a millionaire.

To each his own I guess. Both games are fun -- I find things that I like in PES more, but overall I think we are spoiled to have two dedicated groups of developers!

# 13 PeruvianPlaya954 @ 09/21/11 08:35 PM
Quote:
Well fifa u have to read game and know controls if u want to understand the game
PES u just play its simple and easy
thats why there is so many PES lovers out there atm
My last game was PES 2005 or so havent played soccer games since then only demos last year...
So u cant call me FIFA fan,,,
Sorry to burst your bubble, but there are more casual gamers playing FIFA than PES. To me, FIFA is the easier of the two games to master because it is less about tactics and more about quick button pressing.

# 14 kelvinmak @ 09/21/11 08:54 PM
Having played the demo for while now, I think part of why PES is getting a rep as an arcade game is the way the CPU continually pushing forwards. A few people have noted it in the impressions thread, and perhaps tweaking the tactics to a slower, more possession based one might help-- because right now it's just too quick.

Having said that, I really do think the off the ball movement this year is impressive, and in the long run, if they do fix the way the AI's gung ho style, can keep the game fresh for a much longer period than PES 2011 did.

# 15 jesmith29 @ 09/21/11 09:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelvinmak
Having played the demo for while now, I think part of why PES is getting a rep as an arcade game is the way the CPU continually pushing forwards. A few people have noted it in the impressions thread, and perhaps tweaking the tactics to a slower, more possession based one might help-- because right now it's just too quick.

Having said that, I really do think the off the ball movement this year is impressive, and in the long run, if they do fix the way the AI's gung ho style, can keep the game fresh for a much longer period than PES 2011 did.
Since this is all being based on the demo, what are the chances the full game would have it fixed?

I've played the 1st demo on PS3, really like it, but defense is alot different from 2011.

# 16 ty5oke @ 09/21/11 09:14 PM
Quote:

I guess I can see that point being made. To me, the variety of goals in this game has me believing that its more sim than the other game. Guess it just depends on what part of the game you'd most want to reflect the real life sport. The weight of the ball and variety of play/goals makes this game feel more lifelike to me.

# 17 kelvinmak @ 09/21/11 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesmith29
Since this is all being based on the demo, what are the chances the full game would have it fixed?

I've played the 1st demo on PS3, really like it, but defense is alot different from 2011.
Jon Murphy's tweeted that he's passed a list of bugs onto the team to be worked on. But I think in this day and age you're pretty much obligated to tweet that. Whether they'll actually fix it for the full game-- your guess is as good as mine.

I mean, this is nothing new. If you play PES 2011 using the tactics from the box, without any editing on your part, they were always sort of meh too. More than a few times I've encountered teams playing with some really strange strategies. I had a Master League going as Man Utd and imagine my surprise when I saw much weaker teams trying to suffocate me with high lines and heavy pressing (a lot of them in the Champions League too, of all places) which of course, is suicidal unless they're Barcelona, or Liverpool at Anfield, as I'm sure you would remember from last year

# 18 richie923 @ 09/21/11 11:01 PM
Quote:
I think most people feel the exact opposite.

FIFA doesn't look like a game of soccer. You never see this fast paced action in soccer. There is no build up play with FIFA.

# 19 RoyceDa59 @ 09/21/11 11:19 PM
I hope the gun ho attacking style was passed on to Jon Murphy as a bug and they fix this before they final release because it is the only thing holding me back from enjoying this game to its full extent. It is more noticeable when playing more than 10 min matches.

# 20 KG @ 09/21/11 11:57 PM
Quote:

I've seen decent variety. Rangers have hoofed long balls up to their ST. Spurs have attacked me from the wings and Inter has worked it methodically through the center of the pitch. None of the teams in the demo are high possession teams in real life. I'm happy with the variety of the CPU attacks in the demo. We'll see what happens in the retail version.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.