Home
Feature Article
Improving Kinect Sports Gaming

Though the connection between motion controls and sports seems like a natural fit, we’ve seen few great examples of these types of games. 

Most would argue that the Wii peaked with Wii Sports, just as the PS Move hasn’t really topped Sports Champion. I have yet to play a Kinect sports game -- outside of the fitness genre -- that really captures all that is interesting about our favorite genre. 

If Kinect sports games are to survive, let alone thrive, developers need to do a better job. Otherwise, this exciting technology will go down as a footnote in gaming history, a fad like the Powerpad or lightguns.

Here are five key items developers should focus on if they want to make the next (or first?) great Kinect sports game.

Make a good sports game first

For now, if you want a Kinect sports game, you have two primary choices: mini-game collections and fitness games. There are very few Kinect titles that try to truly emulate a sport in its entirety, from real rules to league play to team management. 

As good as the football event was in Kinect Sports 2, it lacked any of the real depth or strategy of a football game. Simply adding the persistence of a league (with fictional players and stats) would have dramatically increased the title’s replay value. 

Be creative

I’m getting tired of Kinect games that have you steering an on-screen avatar by leaning in certain directions. Certainly the technology is capable of more; non-sports games like Gunstringer and Dance Central have done pretty interesting things with the Kinect. 

Kinect Sports 2 and the first MotionSports utilized the device in some unique ways, even if the overall quality of those titles was lacking. However, those few games tend to be the exception. More recent games like Hulk Hogan’s Main Event and MotionSports Adrenaline seem to have resorted to waving and jumping in place. 

It’s OK to make something that isn’t for kids

While the Kinect definitely seems marketed towards families, it would seem that enough of those families have at least one older sports fan to make an adult-oriented title profitable. And by adult, I don’t mean that it has to be laced with obscenities and violence. 

For instance, I would say that great sports games, like NBA 2K12 and MLB: The Show 11, probably go over the head of most youngsters. That isn’t to say they can’t or don’t enjoy them; I just imagine that most kids don’t understand the complexities of the Rule-5 draft or three-team trades. 

We’ve seen a lot of games geared toward the youngest members of the family. It’s time to let the Kinect grow up a bit.

Where's the single player?

Every time I review a Kinect sports game, I seem to reiterate the fact that multiplayer is inherently more fun than single player. Yet in the best sports games, playing the AI can be as challenging and more realistic than playing against a buddy in the room or another state. 

Again, Kinect Sports comes close here, utilizing a leveling system that extends across play sessions. Yet that system pales in comparison to single-player modes like Road to the Show.

Integrate the technology

I think the best way developers can utilize the Kinect is by gradually incorporating it into existing games. For instance, the speech technology exists to let us call for audibles and hike the ball in Madden. Perhaps flashing finger signs could let us quickly call for pitches in baseball or plays in basketball, mirroring what real athletes do. 

This methodology certainly doesn’t stretch what the device is capable of, but will raise the Kinect’s value for those looking for greater immersion or interesting interface options.

Final Thoughts

It’s hard to predict where the Kinect goes from here. Recent family-oriented games, like Once Upon a Monster and Disneyland Adventures have shown developers dedication to quality Kinect titles. And while not topping sales charts, games like the The Gunstringer and Child of Eden have boasted unique settings and control techniques. 

Hopefully, it’s just a matter of time before we get a breakout Kinect sports title; or at least one that isn’t a mini-game collection or fitness title.

In your opinion, what would it take to make a great Kinect sports title?

Kinect Sports: Season 2 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 fsufan4423 @ 11/29/11 11:46 PM
It's probably going to take Kinect developers a while to make quality games, look how long some of the major company's have been doing sports titles and have yet to put out a decent game.

I just got one for the kids for Christmas, so I'm eager to test it out. Maybe I could add more feedback then.

# 2 BaylorBearBryant @ 11/30/11 02:50 AM
The Bigs was a great game for the Wii. A little bit of sports, a little bit of arcade, a lot of motion controls. I say that's a good model.

# 3 Cardot @ 11/30/11 12:39 PM
It seems that when they try to take an existing sports game, and remap the controls into motion gaming that it just doesn't work. round peg/square hole type of deal. I think they need go the opposite direction. Start with a foundation of fun gameplay elements and motions. And from there, build on things like ratings, stats, seasons etc.

# 4 dcal @ 12/04/11 01:44 PM
I think you are right about slowly integrating it into existing games. The technology is already in place for recognizing voice and getsures, as you pointed out. How cool would it be to point in the direction of a linebacker in Madden and call out "55 is the mike, 55 is the mike!" and have the protection automatically shifted based on your gesture and voice call.

# 5 Pete1210 @ 12/05/11 06:20 PM
For serious sports games Kinect would best be used in addition to, not replacing, the regular controller.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.