Home
Feature Article
Who is Better to Play With in FIFA: Ronaldo or Messi?

It’s one question football fans have debated million times over in pubs across the world: Messi or Ronaldo?

One is held up as the bright light of the sport, conducting himself with class and dignity against the increasing tide of cynicism in the sport — diving, haranguing referees and transfer demands if players don’t like their manager, their teammates, or their tealady. Leo Messi is, of course, above all that, plying his trade quietly and shunning controversy in the Camp Nou. And it’s not like there’s a need to be loud — his skills do all the talking he needs anyway. Slipping by defenders, picking passes, and calmly slotting balls into the corner of the net.

Cristiano Ronaldo? Even if many don’t like his theatrics, the fact is that theatrics are indeed his domain; and while the bad stuff may make you pull your hair out, the good theatrics can leave you breathless. No, his Matrix-like flights into the air at the slightest of contacts won’t be missed if he cut them out, but his offensive, on-the-ball theatrics are what shuts even the most ardent of his detractors up. Whereas Messi, many times, has a knack for the sublime, Ronaldo dazzles with an in-your-face flair. A 30-yard dash past four defenders, culminating in his trademark dipping knuckler that cuts through the air like a machete through jelly.

So who is better? It’s hard to tell. And, like it is in real life, it’s the same situation in FIFA 12. The short answer — and perhaps the cop out to this question — is that it honestly depends on the team you’re fielding and how you want to play. Keep in mind that at this point, with both players rated 90-plus, we’re really just splitting hairs, so it’s not like you will ever regret having Messi or Ronaldo on your team.

If you’re looking for a skillful wizard to play at the center of the pitch, it’s Messi. Let’s look at what areas he is rated highest at: dribbling, vision, finishing, balance, acceleration, agility. Yes, he’s listed as a right winger in addition to a forward, but really, he serves the team best when you play him as a withdrawn center forward, deep enough to link up with Xavi and Iniesta, yet still high enough to make a run off the defenders. His attributes are tailor made for this role. In addition, he’s perfect for a congested area like the middle because of his combination of great close control and agility, skipping away from challenges with ease when the defenders crank up the pressure. The only places Messi falls short are in his physical attributes. He’s short, slender, and if he doesn’t evade the challenges coming his way, he’s likely to get nudged off the ball.

Cristiano Ronaldo, on the other hand, is more suited to play as a winger in a more direct team. Just like in real life, where Messi dismantles opponents with subtlety, Ronaldo kills with brute force. His pace and dribbling makes him ideal to run at defenders from wide, where there is more space, and ride challenges with his strength. After that, depending on how his defender plays him, he can cut inside and unleash a monster of a shot, or go wide and put in a cross, either of which he does with ease because of his two-footedness. Moreover, Ronaldo can also score with his head too, as his jumping and heading accuracy are both fantastic. As for weaknesses, Ronaldo’s in FIFA are, well, just like his weaknesses in real life. His defensive work rate is low, and (compared to Messi anyway) he lacks creativity.

All that means we’re no closer to a conclusive answer. Objective analysis aside, however, I must admit that I personally would prefer having Ronaldo on my team. It must be said that in real life, it’s definitely the other way around. I like Messi because he’s classy, sublime and it’s never about him. But I also like to win in FIFA, and not only does having Ronaldo suit my playing style better, but also that his flaws are easier to mitigate in the game than Messi's.

To start, there are no attributes in FIFA 12 for sulkiness and diving, and this makes Ronaldo a whole lot more likeable already. My preference for Ronaldo also have to do with my tactics: defensively sound, with moments of quick and hopefully lethal counter attacks. That’s not to say Messi wouldn’t excel in the role — again, we’re splitting hairs — but this sort of game in FIFA is just made for a player like Ronaldo. My style isn't tiki-taka, so his more varied scoring arsenal is preferred over Messi's intricate skills.

But most of all, Ronaldo’s biggest flaw both in real life and in FIFA — his lack of tracking back (he’s rated low in defensive work rate in the game) — is so easy to circumvent: just take control of him. This also applies to his lower creativity compared to Messi: If you’re controlling him and you see the pass is on, well, it doesn’t really matter what his creativity rating really is, does it? Now compare those to Messi’s weak spots: his lack of height and strength. Unless you go into the editor and dramatically bulk him up and give him a few inches, there’s nothing you can do to have him score ten or fifteen headers a season.

What about you, OSers, who do you prefer to use in FIFA, Messi or Ronaldo?

FIFA Soccer 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 StickSkillz @ 05/15/12 03:21 PM
I say Ronaldo because
1. Ronaldo is stronger than Messi
2. There skills are pretty much even besides strength

# 2 speedtrucker @ 05/15/12 04:31 PM
agreed with almost all of your thoughts except the beginning where you tried to drive home the idea that Messi doesn't dive... he plays for the biggest bunch of actors on the planet. don't get me wrong CR7 drives ppl crazy and while I'm a Real Madrid fan I don't try to hide the fact that RM does their part in the theatrics but you don't see RM fans trying to put a CR7 above it. yes Messi has been known to fight through physical play but he also shows that Barca flair as diving 101 masters, don't forget Messi also shows his class by firing a ball at RM fans less than 10 feet away last year.

# 3 fakeimmigrant @ 05/15/12 05:00 PM
All this post is going to do is bring out the Barca fans who will insult Real fans and vice versa.
BTW, I'm a Barca supporter so I do have my pick but like most pundits, let's wait until one of them lifts the World Cup in order to crown a victor.

But, considering they play different positions, it would be dangerous to play with both on the same club.

# 4 UK0wnag3 @ 05/15/12 05:57 PM
No doubt they're both world class talents but Messi has Iniesta, Xavi, Fabregas, et al, to play with, whereas Ronaldo only really has Xabi Alonso as a world class talent IMO. But it's very hard to separate them, though I do prefer to watch Messi.

# 5 bigsmallwood @ 05/15/12 05:57 PM
I'll take Messi

# 6 squadron supreme @ 05/15/12 08:51 PM
@UK0wnag3
Way to piss on Mesut Oezil, Karim Benzema, Angel Di Maria, and Gonazlo Higuain

# 7 ps3veron @ 05/16/12 05:33 AM
I have hardly played with either (except when I am taking Argentina or Portugal) but I would think that Messi has slightly better acceleration (speed bursts) whereas Ronaldo is the sturdier one.

Personally, I'd take Messi, only because he didn't play for Man United :P

# 8 UK0wnag3 @ 05/16/12 07:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigturboweeni3
LOL, you obviously don't watch soccer...

higuian and benzema? does madrid not have the best goalie in the world in casillas?

...and again, the QUESTION is who is better to play in the GAME, not real life. ronaldo is faster than messi, and his shots are better as well. ronaldo wins! (coming from a messi fan)
I don't watch soccer, I watch football. But anyway, it's all subject to opinion, hence the "IMO". Casillas is a world class goalkeepe but I'm talking about Messi gets to link up with Xavi and Iniesta in the middle of the park, who, again IMO, are world class. I don't consider Benzema, Higuain or Ozil world class. Benzema and Higuain are decent finishers, but from watching them I don't think world class. And for Ozil, he is very good, but I personally think he isn't quite there yet. Again, you'll probably disagree but that is all in my opinion, based off of watching them play, not FIFA ratings or anything like that.

# 9 BIG CAROLINA @ 05/16/12 07:54 AM
Now I see why we are not allowed to have comparison threads. I see where this is going to go.

# 10 daspartan13 @ 05/16/12 12:37 PM
I'd rather have Ronaldo because his shots from outside the box are more effective for me and because of his size, he is more interchangeable in other positions

# 11 willz1985 @ 05/16/12 12:59 PM
Neither, Papiss Cisse All the way.

HE SCORES WHEN HE WANTS!!! HE SCORES WHEN HE WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANTS!!!!!!

# 12 Moses Shuttlesworth @ 05/16/12 09:35 PM
I've always thought Ronaldo is without question head and shoulders above everyone else in FIFA. His combination of speed, strength, technical ability and shot power are enough to beat anyone.

Not to mention he is a FK machine.

Messi is also a lot shorter and does not have the advantage on heading in crosses and the like.

# 13 AussieChiefsFan @ 05/19/12 05:26 AM
Messi. His speed, shooting and accuracy cant be messed with.

# 14 Altimus @ 05/22/12 09:27 AM
Love Messi, favorite player but... I think Ronaldo is better in the virtual pitch.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.