Home
Feature Article
E3 Grudgematch: Need for Speed Most Wanted vs. Forza Horizon

When I first got my hands on Forza Horizon, all that ran through my mind was how much like an arcade racer it felt. It wasn’t Forza. But thankfully a developer was there to adjust the settings and create a more difficult experience for me (the demo was set to its easy mode apparently). The next day I was finally able to get into Need For Speed: Most Wanted, one of my most anticipated games at E3 this year. Once I was able to drive around in Most Wanted’s world, I knew Forza was nothing near an arcade racer. But still, the two games actually feel like they’re competing with each other for once; that they’re actually targeting the exact same consumer.

So who do I think is going to win this battle? I decided to just roll with a grudgematch … with myself.

Which game races better?

I love me some NFS, but when it comes to pure racing, Forza knows exactly what it's doing. The control and handle feel very similar to what you’re used to in previous games, which will keep the long-time fans loving it.

It comes with the option to make racing slightly easier, something players have had an issue with in the past. The fact that this was put into the game shows how serious Forza is to expand their target audience. And you know what, I think it just might work.

NFS is still just as fun as I remember, but Forza just gets the upper hand when it comes to that pure enjoyment of racing.

Both games have free roam, but which is executes it better?

First of all I want it to be known both demos cut off before you could really explore anything. Forza takes place in an open world that is supposed to resemble Colorado. What they claim is that it is the largest open world in a racing game to date.

NFS has brought back the open world we all know and love from the first iteration of Most Wanted. And the best part about it is that random cop chases have returned. Sorry Forza, but the way those cops chase me keeps me going. NFS wins this one.

Everybody loves customization, but does either game have an edge in the department?

I knew there was no chance in me being able to explore even the first customization option in either of these games, but that doesn’t mean the question shouldn’t be asked.

Forza is practically known for their limitless options in creating cars. It’s so deep and immersive that I’ve met people who buy Forza just to create these cars. NFS on the other hand has never had too many options. In the first Most Wanted, the options to change anything and everything were there, so if they build off of that, they just might find some new fans. But until NFS actually shows they’re ready to go all-in with customization, Forza will always be the heavy favorite in the matter.

What about multiplayer?

Racing is always about beating your friends and having the fastest time on your favorite track. NFS nails it. They're bringing back the autolog feature from their last game and SSX, which turns your gaming experience into a new form of social media. I've always been a huge advocate for implementing social media in sports gaming, and NFS is the reason why. Autolog keeps track of your friends times and rankings. One day, this feature will be in every game. NFS wins.

Be honest, which was more entertaining?

NFS hands down. But that’s my opinion. I’ve always been a big fan of the arcade racing games, and the original Most Wanted is easily the best racing game I’ve ever touched. So this might be a slight bit of nostalgia, but the way the demo took my into a race that flowed directly into a cop chase reminded me of the days back in my dorm room. You can’t beat that in my book.

After playing Forza and NFS, which game has the look and feel of winning?

NFS is fun, it’s awesome, it has free roam and cop chases. Who doesn’t like a good cop chase once in awhile? It’s the complete and total package for a NFS game.

But, I honestly think that Forza is going to take the cake once it is all said and done. It may not be that arcade racer where you can speed around corners, but the option is there. In NFS, you have one option: arcade. Also, with free roam and a more of an adventure feel in Forza, it doesn’t seem like much will be able to top it when it comes to racing games.

One thing is for certain: it will be one competition worth watching.

Forza Horizon Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Retropyro @ 06/12/12 02:37 PM
I've been hoping for the day that Forza would mash up with NFS: Underground 2 & Most Wanted, Horizon looks like it might make that happen.

I'll be getting both, NFS for the arcade fun and cop chases and Horizon for the customization and challenge.

# 2 KOwusu @ 06/13/12 04:17 PM
I remember spending 2 hours customizing decals on NFS: Underground 2

# 3 lnin0 @ 06/13/12 08:18 PM
NFS > Burnout so Forza Horizons gets my vote. Horizons looks closer to the classic NFS games than any NFS games of recent memory. Horizons also looks like it might have a soul - unlike the rest of the sterile, lifeless Forza series.

Most Wanted looks exactly like Burnout. Which is good if you are a BO fan but bad if you are a NFS fan. Not even sure I see the point of EA putting the NFS name to these obvious Burnout games. Was Burnout not a well enough known brand? Did they feel two arcade races, all be it fairly distinct from each other, were cannibalizing each other so they shrunk taking the biggest brand name and best developer they had?

# 4 geisterhome @ 06/16/12 03:38 AM
who even has several friends playing the same game? most of my buddies are videogamers and still it happens quite seldomly that more than maybe one of them plays the same game as me at the same time. i mean we are not 14 anymore, all got jobs, girlfriends etc, just a lot of stuff to do.. of course i have a lot of ppl on my xbl list but its just not as much fun to "compete" against someone i never met in real life-
just wondering if thats significantly different for most of ppl here? i mean i wouldnt get anything much from implementing social media into my sports-games.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.