Home
Feature Article
PES 2013 Demo First Impressions

And we’re off.

Like the Christmas shopping season, it seems like it gets earlier and earlier every year with football game demos, doesn’t it? Either way, PES leads us off with its first of two demos. Except for those poor North American PSN users, everybody else should have access to it by now. It’s not a bad strategy on Konami’s part: release it early, tempt a few action-starved FIFA fans into giving the game a try, plus get some feedback from the fanbase and make some changes.

So what’s new? Plenty, though you may not notice it from the outset, because from far away it looks the same game as PES 2012, which, also looked a lot like PES 2011. That’s my roundabout way of saying that the graphics are still not exactly up to snuff. However, that’s not to say that there wasn’t any work put in. Players’ animations look cleaner and less herky-jerky, and the color palette also looks a little sharper than previous years. But these are, of course, subtle changes, and not the bigger ones that many fans have been hoping for.

In fact, subtlety seems to be the watchword for this year’s release, if this preliminary demo is anything to go by. For the second release in a row, Konami seems to have bet the farm on its gameplay, and true to the PES legacy, this year’s version is another one where you’d think not much has changed, but then proceed to continuously find new things the more you play. Here are some:

- The first thing that made me quite happy, upon playing a few games, is the fact that counterattacking is much more fun this year. Two reasons: First, the stellar AI returns improved over last season. Your teammates are, most of the time, where you'd expect them to be, and they help you create space by making runs down the flanks and channels. There also seems to be slightly less boneheaded runs this year, which makes hitting opponents on the break more lethal.

More importantly, Konami has finally embraced the “full manual” mantra, meaning that I can overhit a pass if I want to, giving me that much more freedom to build my play. Shooting can also be set to full manual, but that currently seems a little more finicky than ideal, or it could be just that I’m not very good at it. Either way, full manual passing and shooting frees up the game a whole lot more than one would think at first sight.

- While the AI is, for the most part, intuitive, not all the flaws have been eradicated. There are still moments where the game has decided that a pass is going to a certain player, at which point that player would be the only one conscious of the fact that a pass is being played, and others—who may be in a better position to receive the ball—simply let it roll past, staying in their predetermined courses. These moments are pretty sparse in occurrence, but it does go to show that the AI isn’t quite perfect just yet.

- Even though my last point hinted at the dreaded s-word—scripting—to be fair there seems to have been some improvements on that front as well. The ball, weirdly as it may sound, seems more alive this year. I’ve seen more cases of deflections and mishits. Scrambles around the goal—one of the biggest joys in the heydays of PES 6., for those who remember—are also more frequent and exciting than they’ve been for a long while.

- One of things that PES always did well is differentiating players. This year is no different. Yes, player ID, one of the most touted features of this year’s release, is neat—basically Ronaldo sprints like Ronaldo, Nani does his somersaults, and John Terry lumbers around and lunges into tackles as you’d see him every weekend—but it would all be fluff if there was nothing backing those animations up. Thankfully, there seems to be. Depending on player attributes, it’s night and day trying to play a through ball (especially with manual controls) with Andrea Pirlo and Scott Parker, and it’s just as dramatic trying to receive said through ball with Mesut Ozil and, oh, I don't know, Andy Carroll.

- AI Management seems to be less one-note, as well. Their substitutions aren’t restricted to only the “like-for-like” types. The England manager, for example, was smart enough to substitute Wayne Rooney in for Oxlade-Chamberlain, who was playing left wing, and then switch Rooney into CF, where Ashley Young was playing. However, the substitution patterns still seem too predetermined, as in the same ones would crop up every game, around the same time. But this may just be the case of it being a demo.

- One thing I didn’t see enough is the differentiation in each team’s playing style, especially at 0-0. To be fair, it’s always hard to judge based on a five minute game, where possession stats can get really skewed. But still, playing as England against Germany, in the higher difficulties, I’d like to see the CPU press the issue a bit more. After a goal is scored, however, things get better. The AI pushes its team forward to go for a goal, or marshals everybody back to defend a lead.

- Finally, and most importantly, after the countless false dawns and “breakthroughs” that ultimately proved to be fruitless, this is the massive one that we’ve all been waiting for: Goalkeepers are now competent. No, really. They can save a shot without spilling it now.

Overall, I’m cautiously optimistic about this year’s game. There is nothing that’s surprising about this first taste demo, and I say that not necessarily as a negative thing. Konami hasn’t promised us a revolution and the game certainly didn’t deliver one. But it’s good ol’ PES—gameplay, gameplay, gameplay. Whether there’s been enough improvements to the engine to compensate for the usual PES weaknesses (presentation elements, namely) remains to be seen, but it’s certainly a solid enough demo to make me look forward to playing full version.

Pro Evolution Soccer 2013 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 cadalyst17 @ 08/01/12 12:15 PM
I have to say, I love it! It plays more like FIFA in a methodical manner but not as methodical as FIFA. I personally think it strikes a good balance; not losing what makes PES....PES

# 2 THE YAMA @ 08/01/12 12:22 PM
After playing the demo, I'm still in FIFA's corner.

# 3 DBMcGee3 @ 08/01/12 01:41 PM
Does anyone know which leagues, if any, PES was able to get licenses for this year? That's always such a HUGE advantage for Fifa. If the gameplay is equal, I'll take the game with all the real teams and players, please and thank you.

# 4 ps3veron @ 08/01/12 02:32 PM
I loved the demo! Its a definite throwback to old school PES.

I also had some amazingly diverse goals, some thing I still don't see with FIFA.

Hoping not much changes in the 2nd demo and release editions.

# 5 Yeats @ 08/01/12 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps3veron
Hoping not much changes in the 2nd demo and release editions.
At this point, that's our greatest fear after last year.

Absolutely amazing demo, which I'm truly surprised by after last year's mess of a game. Very tepid demo review, which I'm surprised by given how amazing the demo is. Then again, Konami has lost so much goodwill the past few years, it's understandable gamers would remain so skeptical.

# 6 aloncho11 @ 08/01/12 03:23 PM
Yeah, this review doesn't do justice to the demo. The impressions thread is much better...

# 7 Knickerbocker @ 08/02/12 06:27 AM
I've been playing Fifa HC for quite some time now but I must say that Fifa doesnt even compare to the football experience the demo brings. It actually gives you freedom to create and not do the only 2 or 3 things that fifa forces u too. Kudos to Konami hope PES will return to former glory. My grade to demo: A- (there are flaws obviously.

# 8 Yeats @ 08/02/12 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelstrom
Well, at least Konami is releasing the demo early, so they can work out the bugs, unlike EA Sports, which doesn't seem to hire game testers, opting to instead USE customers as their game testers, by having them buy the game, play it, complain about the problems, which brings them to the attention of EA developers, then attempt to fix the game post-release.

Hey, it works out great for EA. Their "game testers" are paying EA $60 (each) to "test" the game for them.
Holy mackerel bro, was that really necessary?

# 9 CoreySA @ 08/02/12 09:01 AM
As a huge FIFA game and someone who hasn't paid much attention to PES the last few years (I was a huge fan back in the day), this demo impressed the **** out of me. Really, really solid. I feel like they nailed tempo and pacing and it feels much more fluid.

I wouldn't say this game is topping FIFA in any way, but for the first time in a few years I'll be back to picking up both titles!

# 10 Yeats @ 08/03/12 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profit89
Going back to FIFA12 feels incredibly scripted. Every game plays the exact same way. It doesn't feel free.
I love the PES demo, but your comment isn't entirely accurate. Try this in both games: Kick the ball upfield with your GK. In the PES demo, your forward runs on a rail towards the ball and there's no way to stop him: the controls are locked. In FIFA, all you have to do is pull back on the L stick and your forward stops running: the controls are free.

Both games have their postives and negatives, and PES isn't any more free than FIFA in many ways.

# 11 Tha_Kid @ 08/04/12 03:02 PM
pretty sure you can cancel out with RT&RB

# 12 Yeats @ 08/04/12 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Kid
Oh okay, thanks. I was hitting LT and RT together with no success.

# 13 MizzouRah @ 08/05/12 01:36 PM
Fantastic demo, there is some studdering on the x360, but overall I love what I'm seeing.

# 14 Qb @ 08/06/12 02:12 PM
Quote:
Well, at least Konami is releasing the demo early, so they can work out the bugs, unlike EA Sports... Hey, it works out great for EA. Their "game testers" are paying EA $60 (each) to "test" the game for them.
Quote:
Downloaded it; played it; love it! Winning 11 08 was my first soccer game. I prefer it over FIFA... It's too bad that there isn't a serious competitor for EA Sports in the American football realm.

This is not the forum to discuss EA Sports' business plan or practices, especially in such hackneyed terms. Please stick to the topic, which is discussion of Kelvin's impression of the PES2013 demo.

# 15 AKK_PACMAN @ 08/07/12 09:18 AM
So far so good

# 16 AKK_PACMAN @ 08/07/12 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profit89
FIFA doesn't compare to PES2013. And I think it will take a hell of a lot for FiFA 13 to surpass it as well.

PES2013 is incredibly realistic simulation and at the time fun. A remarkable balance that they have struck.

The game plays out so realistically: the way the players move into spaces, the individuality in player movement and animations, the way players make runs... It plays out like your watching a game on the tele. So much variance. Every goal and play is unique. Going back to FIFA12 feels incredibly scripted. Every game plays the exact same way. It doesn't feel free.

PES 2013 on the PC.... The only way to play !!!
if only pes could get the licences so that they do not have to have the fake teams. For me, even without the licenses pes has a more realistic feel along with being able to play in the champions league

# 17 Yeats @ 08/07/12 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Kid
That doesn't seem to be working, my players still run on rails tracking errant passes etc. Extremely annoying considering I have all controls set on manual. That's not manual game control, bottomline.

# 18 Yeats @ 08/07/12 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKK_PACMAN
if only pes could get the licences so that they do not have to have the fake teams.
PC version, install mods, problem solved.

# 19 CybrSlydr @ 08/12/12 09:28 AM
Played a bit of the PC demo - colors were a bit muted. Like it was foggy. Biggest hurdle, by far, learning their control layout. I kept trying to use FIFA controls to play... lol Flow is pretty good, ball is quite lively.

I'm intrigued.

# 20 KG @ 08/12/12 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CybrSlydr
Played a bit of the PC demo - colors were a bit muted. Like it was foggy. Biggest hurdle, by far, learning their control layout. I kept trying to use FIFA controls to play... lol Flow is pretty good, ball is quite lively.

I'm intrigued.
I usually change my controls to the FIFA default layout.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.