Home
Feature Article
OS Fact or Fiction: NHL 13 will be the Sports GOTY

NHL 13 will be the Sports Game of the Year.

Glenn Wigmore - Fiction:
The NHL franchise these days is always a quality product, without a doubt. It brings to the table a strong suite of modes, very solid visuals, constantly improving gameplay mechanics, and incredibly addictive online options such as EASHL and Hockey Ultimate Team.

All that said, the game is not without some nagging issues. The fighting engine continues to be awful, as it really doesn't represent what fighting is in hockey or how it works. The bells and whistles in the presentation haven't seen much of an upgrade in years, and the commentary, while robust in some respects, is also getting a bit long in the tooth. Additionally, the online modes continue to be hampered (although a lot less now) by some shoddy AI and annoying exploits.

This year's revised skating engined and GM Connected feature both sound like meaningful upgrades in a lot of ways, but it's hard to stack up the steady plod of upgrades that NHL receives to the visual and gameplay might of titles such as MLB 12: The Show, NBA 2K12 and FIFA 12.

I truly enjoy the NHL series a great deal, and I always feel that the product is top-level stuff. However, to be a true GOTY, I feel the product needs to address the lingering issues, add something truly revolutionary, and get people who aren't just hockey fans talking about the product.

NHL 13 a Sports GOTY candidate? Not so fast says Kelvin and Glenn.

Kelvin Mak - Fiction: Well, mostly fiction, anyway.

Even though I seem like OS' resident cynic, there is a part of me that holds out hope that all their promised improvements will pan out (and not introduce any new glitches). If two of my biggest gripes-- CPU defenders' gap control, the inability to cycle the puck down low because of the none-too-bright AI teammate positioning-- are indeed fixed, then I'll be a lot more convinced.

But that's a hard ask, and, even if they all lived up to the billing, there are still a few things that has been neglected for a while, and need to be patched up. My list is pretty much in line with Glenn's: the fighting engine, Thorne and Clement's commentary, and the still too magnetic puck. The last one is a biggie for me: The day I see teams chipping and chopping for loose pucks in the neutral zone is the day I'll be voting for the game as GOTY.

Make no mistake, I'm not saying I won't have a great time with NHL 13, because from everything I've seen I probably will. It's just that to be the Game of The Year, a game has to thoroughly simulate the sport that it's representing, and be the best one amongst a crowded field, at that. That's the main reason I'm saying mostly fiction-- it's because there are other games out there that do the job better for their respective sports.

What about you OS'ers? Will NHL 13 be the Sports Game of the Year in 2012?

NHL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 canucksss @ 08/16/12 12:41 PM
while it is a good read and a wishful thinking that EA will deliver the goods as promised. but it is still early to even think about having NHL 13 win the GOTY.

perhaps, IMHO, the thought of having NHL 13 win the GOTY is after 2-3 weeks after the release.

# 2 Majingir @ 08/16/12 12:55 PM
Madden and NBA haven't even been released yet, so it's hard to tell if it can win or not.

I think the lockout could impact if NHL gets sports game of the year or not, cause NHL will be less on peoples mind with a lockout.

Though I can't remember last time I've seen this many changes on a sports video game in a single year.

# 3 Retropyro @ 08/16/12 01:00 PM
Can't say yet, it's not out and neither is most of it's competition. Though I don't think NCAA will be much of a challenge and neither will The Show. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE The Show, but there is not a whole lot different from MLB 10, 11 or 12.

# 4 bghost @ 08/16/12 01:16 PM
Possible, but can we at least let the games release before we make a prediction ?

# 5 liberaluser @ 08/16/12 01:22 PM
Worst round table discussion ever, fact or fiction? You guys complain about fluff like hockey fights and not how by the numbers boring and meatless the franchise and be a pro modes are. Fifa is actually making its career mode much more interesting this year instead of some online gimmick

NHL may win "most improved" awards but even if the Show and NBA 2K make small incremental improvements, they are still better sports games.

# 6 gopher_guy @ 08/16/12 01:30 PM
It will be Sports GOTY for me, definitely

# 7 drewst18 @ 08/16/12 01:37 PM
Don't mean to be rude but the second I read the fighting engine continues to be awful I stopped reading Glenn's post...

The gap control is a big one, the cycle works ok especially in EASHL mode when you get a good team going. I know online is not for everyone, but if you can find a good group of 12 guys you can get a pretty good game going and not have to deal with AI issues.
Just seems a little early to judge. I personally prefer NHL to NBA as the player movement in NBA is so off. Like my animations are set for 2 or 3 steps and can't break out of them, get guys running out of bounds stuck in an animation, don't see that in NHL.
Regardless of awards I am extremely excited for NHL 13 and GM connected.

# 8 gopher_guy @ 08/16/12 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewst18
Don't mean to be rude but the second I read the fighting engine continues to be awful I stopped reading Glenn's post...
Really? Is the fighting that big of a deal to people?

Maybe it's because I am more a fan of the college game where there is no fighting, but the fighting in NHL 13 is probably the very last thing on the list of things I would like to see done with the game.

# 9 garyjr33 @ 08/16/12 02:23 PM
I would love for it to fully deliver and I am more excited about NHL this year than I have been in the last 4 years. However, I doubt it will win sports game of the year b/c not that many people like hockey even though it is the best sport on the planet. Oh well. NHL will more than likely be great this year.

# 10 Vikes1 @ 08/16/12 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberaluser

NHL may win "most improved" awards
This seems very possible. And if really true....that'll be a great thing.

Especially for the die hard NHL gamers.

# 11 Brandwin @ 08/16/12 02:31 PM
It also depends on what type of sports you like. I don't watch hockey, I wouldn't know what's authentic or not, so it would never be sports game of the year for me.

I expect The Show, NBA 2K13 or Madden 13 to take that award for me.

# 12 13whitebread @ 08/16/12 04:13 PM
For me the commentary needs a new overhaul something a little more fresh than Gary and Bill can give us. It was a good run but with NHL moments live you wont hear Gary thorn in an NHL games lets get current and get another pair its time especially next year not going to happen obliviously this year.

# 13 drewst18 @ 08/16/12 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewst18
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopher_guy
Really? Is the fighting that big of a deal to people?

Maybe it's because I am more a fan of the college game where there is no fighting, but the fighting in NHL 13 is probably the very last thing on the list of things I would like to see done with the game.
Thats what I was getting at, no way fighting should be mentioned, let alone first mentioned in a game that has brand new skating engine and added one of the biggest changes in game modes with gm connected

# 14 statum71 @ 08/16/12 06:47 PM
Its looking like a game I'm gonna enjoy this year.

But I cannot understand why EA continues to neglect anything similar to a halftime report.

Madden 13? a few cut scenes with background music
NCAA 13? the pause menu
FIFA ? the pause menu

And looks like NHL 13.......STILL no Intermission Report. Its 2012........really?

# 15 THE YAMA @ 08/17/12 12:26 AM
Going to be tough to beat out FIFA 13 for that honor.

# 16 CujoMatty @ 08/17/12 02:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by balcobomber25
The same thing that happened to Madden is happening to the NHL franchise. They built up a superb game that killed off the competition and now suffers from the same problems year after year. NHL is hardly a bad game its just each years version is starting to feel like nothing more than a fresh coat of paint and a roster update. The commentary was top notch 5 years ago but now its getting old and annoying. EA had a golden opportunity this year to switch the broadcast booth and use the guys from NBC Sports or Hockey Night in Canada but failed to do so.

This game needs a major overhaul for it to be enjoyable again. The franchise mode didn't change at all last year it was the same exact mode with the same broken trade logic and the same boring coma inducing off season. My biggest complaint with the game though is the lack of overall excitement in the playoffs. The Stanley Cup Playoffs are one of the most exciting and gut wrenching moments in all of sports, millions of non hockey fans flock to NBC to watch playoff hockey. In the game the playoffs and Stanley Cup feel like just another exhibition game.
Couldn't agree more. Ive been feeling the series has been stale for awhile now. The gameplay changes all look incredible but when push comes to shove, after a few days I know I'll be feeling been there done that. New commentating and better presentation seem to me the easiest way to keep a series fresh. Who knows I'm not at all familiar with what goes into developing a video game. Just my .02

# 17 LuGer33 @ 08/17/12 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by liberaluser
Worst round table discussion ever, fact or fiction? You guys complain about fluff like hockey fights and not how by the numbers boring and meatless the franchise and be a pro modes are. Fifa is actually making its career mode much more interesting this year instead of some online gimmick

NHL may win "most improved" awards but even if the Show and NBA 2K make small incremental improvements, they are still better sports games.
If you don't lose your mind over graphics and commentary, that's entirely debatable. NHL has a 100000000000000x better online suite than either of those games.

# 18 13whitebread @ 08/17/12 05:23 PM
Quote:
The same thing that happened to Madden is happening to the NHL franchise. They built up a superb game that killed off the competition and now suffers from the same problems year after year. NHL is hardly a bad game its just each years version is starting to feel like nothing more than a fresh coat of paint and a roster update. The commentary was top notch 5 years ago but now its getting old and annoying. EA had a golden opportunity this year to switch the broadcast booth and use the guys from NBC Sports or Hockey Night in Canada but failed to do so.

This game needs a major overhaul for it to be enjoyable again. The franchise mode didn't change at all last year it was the same exact mode with the same broken trade logic and the same boring coma inducing off season. My biggest complaint with the game though is the lack of overall excitement in the playoffs. The Stanley Cup Playoffs are one of the most exciting and gut wrenching moments in all of sports, millions of non hockey fans flock to NBC to watch playoff hockey. In the game the playoffs and Stanley Cup feel like just another exhibition game.
His analogy is very good hear he hits the commentary dead on. Its unfortunate but a lot of things are true it needs a big overhaul stop settling for average. and i do not want to hear oh it costs to much money for new commentators. I don't care spend it instead of the CEO making millions no sympathy from me.

# 19 Eski33 @ 08/17/12 07:00 PM
If fighting weren't in the game I wouldn't miss it. I think NHL has the potential. To me, it is a top tier sports series right next to NBA 2K, The Show and FIFA.

# 20 FluffyTonka @ 08/17/12 08:48 PM
Quote:

100% spot on.

Anything short of a complete engine, AI, animation, commentary overhaul is just another marketing exercise.

NBA2K13 has some serious improvements to make after a few severe AI shortcomings last year, and Madden is disappointment after disappointment.

FIFA holds the crown, with the Show not too far behind. Any talk of GOTY at this stage, is just more fluff from the marketing department.

I find the game designer/ teams who talk up GOTY before any season titles are even released, are usually the ones who know in their heart of hearts their game falls short.

I mean ... why talk about it? Why not wait for the game to release and let the game speak for itself? The gaming community is smart and savvy. If your title walks the walk, word gets out on forum boards like these, and everyone flocks to buy your title.

Marketing fluff and corporate speak 101 won't cut it with us if the game is below par.

It'd be great for us to be recognised as such.

[/rant]

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.