Home
Feature Article
NBA 2K Hairstyle Disasters

Players come at sports video games from a lot of different angles these days. You can run a fantasy draft and make the dream team you’ve always wanted. You can try to take your favorite team as-is and do your best to better them. You can play with friends or strangers around the world. But ever since I can remember, my favorite part of any title has been designing my own player to draft onto my favorite team or (more recently) run through a game’s career mode.

And since the beginning, the NBA 2K series has been disappointing me with its hairstyles.

Don’t get me wrong: NBA 2K has made great strides in the field of virtual follicles since the early days and 2K12 boasts 41 different hairstyles (plus players on PC have access to all kinds of mods). But at least seven of those 41 are literally described as “balding” or else appear to involve a receding hairline. I understand that LeBron James has made this look popular, but more than a sixth of the hair options devoted to it? Come on.

There are a handful of acceptable hairstyles. Any of the ones labeled Stubble (including, strangely, Dark Recessed Stubble, which actually looks like a normal hairline) are solid if unremarkable, as are Straight Short and Natural Part; the Mohawk isn’t half bad if you keep the length short; Wavy can be good if you keep the length long; and Short Dreads has been a standby since its rookie season in NBA 2K10.

But I’m not here to talk about the good. I’m here to count down the worst of the worst.

If you are a human being who wears this hair style, may God have mercy on your soul.

4. The Patch

How do we even begin to explain The Patch? NBA 2K seems to be fond of honing in on a few of the more unusual NBA hairstyles and providing them as options, which seems to be how we got Short Dreads (Chris Bosh circa 2007—he might also be responsible for Tied Dreads), Mohawk (Chris Andersen), and Mop Tail (Nene). But Drew Gooden sported this odd look during the 2006-07 season and it’s been haunting NBA 2K ever since. That’s five years since any reasonable human being has had this hairstyle and yet it’s still taking up a roster spot in NBA 2K12. It’s time to amnesty this hairstyle and put in something better. According to Gooden, he grew what he called the ducktail because he loves the ‘80s. And yet the term “ducktail” describes a ‘50s haircut that doesn’t resemble Gooden’s in any way. Maybe he was talking about the show “Duck Tales”?

...trying to figure out if it's man or woman.

3. Straight Tail
This hairstyle is even more inexplicable than The Patch because I don’t think it’s even based on an NBA player’s hair. It seems vaguely related to the sort of soccer-y tied back hairstyles of Sasha Vujacic and Mike Miller and yet somehow it’s inestimably worse. It’s the sensitive-ponytail-guy haircut. There are these strange panels of hair in the front that aren’t tied back but don’t move, and then the back is tied into the tiniest possible tail that only gets grosser when you increase the length. It’s that awful stage of hair between short and long where you can’t do anything with it. And NBA 2K has immortalized that awkward, awful moment.

Poor guy was a victim of a Rogaine experiment gone bad.

2. Natural Patches
I can understand the genesis of The Patch, because an NBA player actually had that style. I can understand (maybe) where the Straight Tail began: as an attempt at a longish, tied-back hairstyle. But I can’t for the life of me figure out what the minds at 2K Sports were thinking when they designed the Natural Patches hairstyle. I can only picture a guy in a brainstorming session saying, “What about one where there are just little bits of hair randomly placed on the head? You know, like an electrolysis accident or like he has mange? Oh and push the hairline up more. No: more.” It just doesn’t look like a hairstyle any reasonable human being would have on purpose. In closing, let me just note that Natural Patches is a brand of essential oil body patches. Maybe selecting this hairstyle should give a boost to your mental focus and energy?

We shall call it...the half mullet!

1. Medium Flat
Medium Flat is a tricky one. It has a boring name, it’s in the middle of a bunch of other hairstyles you probably just scroll through as quickly as possible (Balding Flat, Short Flat), but don’t sleep on its true awfulness. Like several of the NBA 2K hairstyles, it’s based on a famous haircut, but I’m pretty sure it’s Buffalo Bob’s from Silence of the Lambs. You’ve got a vaguely receding hairline but with the added bonus of wispy strings of yarn hanging over the forehead. That should be enough to put this cut into contention for the top spot but then if you increase the length the back turns into a mullet. A hint of balding with a mullet in the back and scraggly loose strands up front? Just tell me which basket to put the lotion in.

It's Time for Change America

2K Sports needs to clean house and put in some more player-inspired cuts that are more reasonable and/or fun. What about Brandon Jennings’ fauxhawk (which looks great in NBA 2K12 and worlds better than the Natural Fauxhawk)? And although the Mohwak as is can be a good option, we need a frohawk more like what Russell Westbrook and James Harden sported last season. T

he dreads department is also wanting, so why not base one off Kenneth Faried’s voluminous mane? And if those are too far out, one need only look at the player models of Kirk Hinrich and O.J. Mayo to see sensible, reasonable hairstyles that look natural and not like helmets (short Afro) or shards of glass (Messy). Maybe NBA2K13 will finally deliver on what this generation of consoles so long ago promised: the kind of great leap forward in virtual hair our fathers never could have dreamed of.

NBA 2K13 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 nova91 @ 09/05/12 11:29 AM
The game needs more legit black guy hairstyles.

# 2 RedSceptile @ 09/05/12 11:31 AM
Not specifically black guy hairstyles, just hairstyles in general.

# 3 sschevyridah @ 09/05/12 11:35 AM
i dont know why they just dont the haircuts from actual players and throw em in the created players section. they are already in the game

# 4 Scramz718 @ 09/05/12 11:35 AM
Agree they should get rid of the bad ones and add some logical hairstyles

# 5 kmiree16 @ 09/05/12 11:38 AM
Same with tattoos and nicknames. They're all so terrible.

# 6 LionsFanNJ @ 09/05/12 11:39 AM
I want Faried dreads for my CAP dammit. Faried REAL LIFE dreads not that dumb style they have in game.

Also before the PC master race starts...I don't have a pc strong enough.

# 7 cmebfresh @ 09/05/12 11:40 AM
i think they need to add the taper fade

# 8 shindiana @ 09/05/12 11:42 AM
Thanks! I've been saying that for years.

Hair style, body types, faces in general all need major work!

Have you seen ronnie's myplayer in the GM office? NBA 2K13 is bringing back all those fake looking haircuts for another year!!!!

# 9 ultima86 @ 09/05/12 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschevyridah
i dont know why they just dont the haircuts from actual players and throw em in the created players section. they are already in the game
THIS....amd their tatts

# 10 madden316 @ 09/05/12 11:56 AM
I also want to be able to add facial features, like freckles, and small moles. Just something that makes the CAP's look less like porcelain dolls and more like real people.

Edit: And there's no such thing as to much customization, when it come's to a game mode where you play as one guy for his entire career.

# 11 Remario92 @ 09/05/12 11:57 AM
I also would like to change the haircuts of real players.

A guy like Nick Young changes his hairstyle every ****ing week..

# 12 BRxSKINSx @ 09/05/12 11:59 AM
The same generic tats and hairstyles year after year..... 2k has to know we're sick and tired of em, and they still haven't changed em.... I'd rather they put in a couple real life hairstyles than those fake generic ones.... Give us the option to use real life NBA player hair styles at least...

# 13 mymannemcee @ 09/05/12 12:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remario92
I also would like to change the haircuts of real players.

A guy like Nick Young changes his hairstyle every ****ing week..
Weren't we supposed to get a "dynamic hair update" from the 2K Insider during the entire season last year? James Harden had a clean cut and a small beard all year.

# 14 richmo @ 09/05/12 12:05 PM
Preach!
afs

# 15 BRxSKINSx @ 09/05/12 12:05 PM
The natural patches is da best hairstyle out there.....

# 16 keator @ 09/05/12 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmiree16
Same with tattoos and nicknames. They're all so terrible.

especially for the people who dont have a last name that can be said in the game. I dont want my player being called dimes, or buckets.. Lame

# 17 rudeworld @ 09/05/12 12:21 PM
This is why my CAP always rock a normal cut or cut it all off and wear a head band (except 2k11 cause of the glitch of wearing it during pressers and walking into the arena.... that was wack)

# 18 SouthBeach @ 09/05/12 12:34 PM
Wow. You guys are trippin'.

Y'all don't want the George Costanza/George Jefferson Cul de Sac?

# 19 BlakkMajik3000 @ 09/05/12 12:40 PM
The hairstyle for waves absolutely sucks. No option to get "360 waves" like most people with waves have. Brandon Knight had the perfect hairstyle for this in 2K12, but you couldn't use it on your own player.

I also didn't like the afro hairstyle. All you could use was some Ben Wallace type afro, but you could never have the cleaner more "rounded" afro like Josh Childress.

C'mon 2K. Visit some barbershops and see what hairstyles people (all races) are really wearing and put those in the game, and get rid of the junk hairstyles that have been wasting space for years.

# 20 Ciroc Obama @ 09/05/12 12:50 PM
2K amazes me with how great and realistic their game is but the CAP is one of the worst for a game across any genre, they still don't have a decent looking short cut with a shape up which is the hairstyle used by about 60% of the players in the league. Every year in franchise mode the rookies come out looking more and more ridiculous, I'm hesitant to even draft some of them when they barely resemble the human race. The CAP needs a complete makeover, not to mention every player no matter what the skin tone has the same generic face.

« Previous12345Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.