Home
Feature Article
NHL 13: Grading the Realism

True Performance Skating has revolutionized hockey gaming, but how does the rest of EA Sports' NHL 13 fare when compared to real hockey?

Skating: A-

Gone are the days of being able to spin around in circles, instantly hit top speed or turn on a dime. In its place, is the most realistic skating ever coded into a video game. Momentum and acceleration are perfectly captured, creating a true separation between top skating forwards and oafish defensemen.

True Performance Skating's only misstep is how it has replaced the old vision control button (left trigger) with an unnecessary backwards skating button. Without the ability to face the puck and keep your player's body square, it's much more difficult to line up one timer shots or play as a power forward in front of the net. Defenders can also get awkwardly spun around with their back to the puck if they try to skate while holding the left trigger.

Offense: B+

End-to-end dekes and cross-ice one timers had been the dominate offensive strategy in EA's NHL games since the inception of the skill stick in NHL 07. NHL 13 has finally made enough tweaks to its offensive system that playing a realistic style of hockey will beat people who only know how to play "video game hockey."

Performing stick dekes now slows down skaters enough that those moves are only effective on breakaways and penalty shots. Connecting on one timers is more difficult than ever now that CPU defenders and goalies like to jab their stick into passing lanes to disrupt plays.

The biggest sore spot on offense remains your bumbling AI teammates, who have trouble moving around to the open space on the ice, and whose shots tend to get blocked or miss the net entirely.

For as poorly as your own AI teammates perform, CPU teams still have no trouble zipping the puck around the ice with superhuman accuracy or firing wrist shots top shelf. It has become routine to see computer teams with 70 to 80 percent pass completion, which is just unacceptable for a hockey simulation.

Defense: B-

I appreciate EA Canada's attempt to loosen up the puck and make NHL 13 a sloppier brand of hockey, but the game's poke check has simply gotten out of control as a result. Online team play games now consist of a heard of players chasing the puck around the rink mashing the right bumper, poking it out of one corner and into to the next.

Players can get away with spamming poke checks because penalties are rarely called. A typical game of NHL 13 has no more than one or two penalties at most, if any are even called at all. This is not to say that players never get tripped up, because they do, it's just that the ref (who's still missing his three on-ice colleagues) refuses to blow the whistle whenever obvious trips or slashes occur.

Checking penalties are equally sparse, with blatant interference rarely being called, regardless of whether it occurs on a skater or a goalie. NHL 13 introduces unintentional collisions to its physics capabilities, which should have finally gotten obstruction calls into the game. But after almost 100 matches played, I've yet to see a single penalty called whenever one player skates in front of another and causes a crash by blocking off his path.

It seems to be a company-wide thing that EA Sports games just cannot get collision physics correct. NHL 13 is equally as guilty as Madden NFL 13 and FIFA 13 in making average collisions look like The Ultimate Warrior is delivering a running clothesline to Hulk Hogan. NHL 13 is particularly goofy in the way players' bodies will flop around and convulse after being hit.

Even more perplexing, is the fact that CPU defenders all play like they have 99 checking power, 99 balance and 99 strength, as they can knock you off the puck and into the ice at any time, from any angle, without regard for the involved players' size or weight. If you try to mimic some of the hits that CPU players can land, your players will just bounce off the CPU puck carrier like he has some kind of protective force field around him.

Goaltending: C-

The design philosophy behind the NHL series' goaltending has traditionally been to make the goalies so good that they can hide the fact that the defense in front of them is awful.

This is done because most human players don't know, let alone care, how to play proper defense, and because the AI simply isn't advanced enough to keep a human-controlled offense out of prime scoring territory.

While skaters received an overhaul this year in how they move on the ice, goaltenders are still largely weightless in their movement, allowing them to warp from one goal post to the other without regard for momentum and inertia. Goalies are so superhumanly quick in their lateral movement that it literally looks like they are telporting across the crease. The transitional animations from an initial save to a secondary save can occur so rapidly that they defy the laws of human movement. In short, the infamous “robo goalie” is still very much alive in NHL 13.

New cross-body, diving desperation saves have also been added to goalies' arsenal of save animations, and unsurprisingly, they are also too quick and too effective. In the Hockey Ultimate Team mode, I have seen minor league goalies who are rated only a 60 or 70 overall making diving stick saves like they were Jonathan Quick.

The majority of goals that are scored in NHL 13 seem to be the result of either weird puck bounces or the popular short side, bad angle wrist shot. The new "anticipation AI" was marketed as a way to let goaltenders cheat over a bit and defend against one timers. In reality, all it has done is opened up the short side even more -- and as anyone who's played EA's NHL series in the last five years can tell you, there were already too many weak angle short side goals before goalies started over-anticipating.

Faceoffs: C-

NHL 13 continues to stick with its simplistic rock/paper/scissors system for determining who wins faceoffs. Contrary to hockey rules, there is still no penalty in NHL 13 for drawing early, or for jabbing your stick seven or eight times before the puck is even dropped.

In laggy games, faceoff spammers can take advantage of the latency and beat people who are trying to take draws legitimately.

Too many draws in NHL 13 are won cleanly, and the animations for tying up or stick lifting your opponent play out the same way every time. AI teammates are often unresponsive to tie ups, preferring to stand outside the circle and watch while the two centers dosey doe around the loose puck.

Like NHL 13's boardplay, there is nothing dynamic about the current faceoff system, giving it the feel of an archaic, last-generation mechanic.

Netplay: D+

Now in its second year, the tweaked "net battles" jostling system still feels like it does more harm than good to NHL 13's realism. EA Canada has decreased the offensive player's ability to shoot while being held up, but it's still far too common to see laser one timers delivered in spite of a jostle.

As with boardplay, the suction effect built into the netplay animations remains a major nuisance. A player can be skating full speed one moment only to be pulled into a jostle and brought to a standstill. Net battles also sap a tremendous amount of energy from both players involved in the animation. During online team play, simply getting caught in one extended jostle can drain your player's energy level for the remainder of the period.

Boardplay: D

The most glaring flaw in NHL 13's gameplay is the lack of dynamic interactions around the boards. Boardplay in NHL 13 remains completely binary, with only one defender and one offensive player able to engage in an awkward pinning animation. The offensive player being pinned cannot be hit or in any way interacted with aside from a simple poke check from an unengaged player.

Human skaters can exploit the boardplay button's invulnerability by pinning themselves to the boards to completely avoid incoming body checks. AI skaters still foolishly allow themselves to be pinned by oncoming defenders when they could have easily chipped the puck up the ice or around the boards. Throw in the tremendous suction effect that comes with the boardplay animation, and it feels like a feature that belongs in a PS2 game, not a PS3 game.

Simply looking at this hit chart from last year's cup-clinching game between New Jersey and Los Angeles shows that most hockey hits occur along the boards, but if you only play EA's NHL games, you might think the opposite: that hits only occur in the open ice.

Overall Grade: B-

Hockey is a sport of chaos and unpredictability, yet historically, most hockey video games have suffered from being too predictable and repetitive.

By erasing many of the repeatable scoring tactics and cheap skating maneuvers from previous editions, NHL 13 has made offense more fun and unpredictable. Still, the robotic goaltending and lack of realism in faceoffs, netplay and boardplay are keeping EA's NHL series from becoming a true hockey simulation.

NHL 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 onac22 @ 09/18/12 12:33 PM
Very solid write up. I agree with all that was said.

A couple of honorable mentions: The crazy rubber rebounds that fly from goalie to corner, to point, back to goalie, back to corner, to opposite point back to goalie and so on until a goal is scored.

My last improvement is a change to fighting. I'm not a big fan of running around fighting everyone in sight but the engine is old and unsatisfying to watch even on EASHL. I would rather watch the third person and see the scrap.

# 2 tvman @ 09/18/12 12:37 PM
QB mentioned that tripping penalties had been increased after the latest 1.02 tuner to help deal with all the poke checking. Was this review done before or after that tuner?

# 3 addybojangles @ 09/18/12 01:04 PM
Really good write-up!

I'm super glad you address the POINTLESS left-trigger to skate backwards - as someone who held LT maybe 80% of the time in NHL 12, I keep doing this. I just want to be facing the puck!!! Not skating backwards...

And really good points on how they addressed skating but totally left pretty much everything else out. The goalies are totally masking the mindless AI defense and the jostling in front of the net is awful. I really want to like NHL 13, and true performance skating is a huge gamechanger, but you can't neglect everything else and expect an outstanding product.

# 4 drewst18 @ 09/18/12 01:24 PM
Not often I say this about the front page articles, but very well put from start to finish. Seems like you know your hockey and aren't some random writing about a sport you know nothing about...

# 5 FBeaule04 @ 09/18/12 01:37 PM
This article is showing what most people are discovering when playing more and more games.

True Skating is great, while not perfect, it's great, but took so much effort that EA neglect almost everything else in the game.

Last year (NHL 12), we had a Ferrari frame with a Lada motor, but a brand new cupholder (Goalie Fights) and glovebox (Breaking glasses). This year (NHL 13), we have the same Ferrari frame with a Lada motor, but we got new tires for a gift.

Next year, only hope they find a Ferrari motor to put in that damn frame, and not coming on with brandnew sunshades and carpet!

# 6 RUFFNREADY @ 09/18/12 02:14 PM
Spot on in your write up, my good man! One thing i would like to mention is the tangible puck and the "USER"; dont you find if you are skating towards the puck to get it, and find that your player skates right by it for no reason? But if the cpu AI happens to do this, they never skate over or pass a puck?
cheers

# 7 plaidchuck @ 09/18/12 03:01 PM
So the consensus is skating= good everything else= the same? Kind of what I figured after playing the demo.

# 8 Vikes1 @ 09/18/12 05:00 PM
Good write up.

First off, I judge the game just on off-line play vs the AI.

I found myself agreeing with most everything except the goalies. Personally now...I know their far from prefect, but I really don't have much of a problem with the cpu goalies. But the human team goalies...seem terrible.

Even with NHL '13' weakness, I'm going to have a great year with this game. As long as I can solve my goal tender problems.

# 9 savoie2006 @ 09/18/12 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck
So the consensus is skating= good everything else= the same? Kind of what I figured after playing the demo.
I wouldn't say the same, as there are some improvements throughout, but not near as groundbreaking as the Skating. The new Customize AI feature helps the lackluster AI a bit, but should be an enhancement, not a saving grace. The checking and boardplay is somehow worse in my opinion . The new GM Brain is cool as far as what it options it gives you and it acutally shows you what players teams are willing to part with. Plus you can edit what you are looking for from type of player to ratings in certain attributes, really COOL.

# 10 pc21 @ 09/18/12 06:32 PM
The early reviews on OS was that the game was awesome and much improved from NHL 12. I fork out 59.99 plus tax and all I get is a game with an improved staking engine. EA is so sub-par. There is no real fluidity to the game as there is in say MLB 12. Line changes look like cheap cartoon movements of an era gone by; players have the same mirror image movements on the bench and the game actually struggles to load from screen to screen. I thought I was purchasing a Ferrari but ended up with a lemon. I guess Sony is so far ahead in its MLB platform that it has ruined by ability to appreciate anything less.

# 11 savoie2006 @ 09/18/12 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pc21
The early reviews on OS was that the game was awesome and much improved from NHL 12. I fork out 59.99 plus tax and all I get is a game with an improved staking engine. EA is so sub-par. There is no real fluidity to the game as there is in say MLB 12. Line changes look like cheap cartoon movements of an era gone by; players have the same mirror image movements on the bench and the game actually struggles to load from screen to screen. I thought I was purchasing a Ferrari but ended up with a lemon. I guess Sony is so far ahead in its MLB platform that it has ruined by ability to appreciate anything less.
In NHL's defense, it much easier to replicate the sport of baseball than it is hockey, which is probably the most difficult.

# 12 Flyermania @ 09/18/12 06:54 PM
For me, the game has improved in a lot of area. Goaltending still needs a LOT of work. But with penalties lacking for yet another year, the best I can rate this game is a "C". Penalties are such a huge part of hockey, and this game just doesn't have enough of them. Plain and simple.

# 13 xx19kilosoldier @ 09/18/12 07:05 PM
The penalty issue which has appeared for the third straight year in the NHL series rate this game a D in realism for me.

Power plays and penalty kills are an INTEGRAL part of hockey, so much so that having this aspect broken again is unacceptable. Its akin to having strikouts or base on balls not working properly in a baseball game.

So realism for NHL 13: D

# 14 CujoMatty @ 09/19/12 10:25 AM
I really like the game but the goaltending is hurting the experience for me. Lately I've been messing with sliders in order to make the game more challenging and its become very apparent that EA relys heavily on goaltending to make the game harder instead of making the AI play better. I want to lose some games but I just can't stand losing 6-2 when I've outshot the computer 42-15 and my goalie is rated 90. I understand it happens but not every other game. I find it very hard to feel like I've really earned a loss which is such an important aspect of sports gaming. If I lose at madden or MLB or basically any other sports game I generally feel like it was deserved, not always but most of the time. In NHL however alot of the time it feels like im getting jipped

# 15 Mikey88 @ 09/22/12 01:47 AM
Great write up, pretty much sums up my feelings about the game.. I dont think offline versus CPU is even worth getting into. The AI is just not good enough. Online however seems like where this game comes alive.
I still like NHL 10 more than i have the last 3 years of NHL games combined in terms of game play. Obviously, 10 wasn't perfect but it was closer to the real thing and hey there were actual penalties being called regularly! wow what a concept! I have some random thoughts...

-Anyone else feel like the ice isn't big enough? They want to bring this game up to speed with realism, make the ice feel proportionate to the real thing.

-The hitting has also gotten progressively WORSE since 10.. in 10, if you lined up a guy properly you could send him flying.. in 13, no need. just bump him lightly and he'll hit the ice.

-There was a better tradeoff in 10. When you spammed poke check or stick lift too much, you risked getting high sticking or tripping penalties. Not this time around.. Hopefully they can fix it.

And the goalies - probably the worst thing about this game as mentioned in the article. Just plain unrealistic in the way they move, the way they can go post to post in a completely unrealistic way.. EA really needs to make this part of the game as realistic as possible IMO even before the hitting.

I have to commend them at least for getting the skating down pat. Great job by them but the rest of the game needs the same amount of attention to really bring this game to life.

# 16 MetalCavs @ 09/24/12 03:06 PM
Good write up Jayson, while the skating tune up is a good bullet point for this years version of NHL , not addressing other legacy issues with this years title only will ensure that without any competition the hockey series is and will suffer the same fate as Madden. Good thing they'll always be customers that need to justify their yearly investment in the only game on the market and are willing to overlook such issues.

# 17 canucksss @ 09/24/12 04:10 PM
nice write up. but i have to disagree with your overall rating for NHL 13. it does not deserve a B-, imho. its C- for me. it could have been a B+ or even A- if the penalty issue is non-existence. to be in higher rating, goalie fatigue must be included and netplay and boardplay must be at least improved.

# 18 xcanadaman9x @ 09/25/12 01:14 AM
Would it be more realistic if you didn't play it until the lockout ends?

# 19 statnut @ 09/28/12 12:38 PM
When an AHL goalie shuts down Havlat, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Fleishman, Gomez, Hagelin, etc, stopping 31 shots through three periods and OT, something is wrong. And these were a variety of shots, rebounds, slap shots from the point, wrist shots, backhanders, one-timers, etc.

# 20 Eddie1967 @ 09/28/12 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoie2006
In NHL's defense, it much easier to replicate the sport of baseball than it is hockey, which is probably the most difficult.

Come on man, that is a weak excuse. Yes it may be hard but they are in the business of replicating the sport and how many years has it been now? If that's the excuse then they may as well quit. Yes the game has improved over the years and I realize it may never be perfect but when it comes to realism the game should be much farther ahead then it is right now.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.