Home
Feature Article
OS Fact or Fiction: NCAA Football 14 Edition

NCAA Football 14 is the best NCAA Football game since NCAA Football 2006.

Matthew Coe: Fact. NCAA Football 14 is easily the best college football game we've had on XBOX 360 and PS3, making it the best NCAA Football since NCAA Football 06 on XBOX and PS2. Its taken us awhile to get here, but finally right before the next generation consoles launch this fall, we get the best game in the series. I'm gonna say that NCAA Football 14 is also the best NCAA Football game ever made on consoles. I say this because despite some defensive issues and other gripes, we've never had an NCAA game that played this well. The option/pitch/shovel game has never been represented like it has been in this years game. From a gameplay standpoint alone I'm saying NCAA 14 is the best in the series history.

Robert Kollars: Fact. I love this years title from EA and it is creeping towards becoming my favorite college title ever. If you include the new foot planting system, the new blocking schemes(that actually work this year)new option playbooks, and an AI that is competitive on offense, it is really is a great package - albeit one that still has a few issues that need to be ironed out. I have had great enjoyment though playing with multiple teams as they play true to their real-life counterparts, and the Infinity Engine 2.0 and coordinator cam have really added to the overall experience.

Bishop Tart: Fact. Coming off of NCAA Football 13, I didn't really have high hopes for '14. Thankfully, EA and Tiburon surprised me with just a better overall game. The inclusion of the Infinity Engine is great for the franchise, and the majority of the kinks have been worked out for 2.0. The new gameplay improvements and skill trees in dynasty mode make this the best NCAA Football game in quite some time. Now, let's just hope this continues into the next gen console cycle in 2014.

Dynasty mode is much better than last year.

Matthew Coe: Fiction. The mode isn't a huge improvement over last year and some have felt that the streamlined recruiting has actually taken away from the experience in NCAA Football 14. Recruiting still needs to be overhauled in my opinion with a long list of improvements that I'll save for a blog. The mode works as well as it ever has, but I don't think we got the significant presentation upgrades for dynasty mode that I was hoping for, nor did we get any changes in dynasty that make it head and shoulders above last year's mode.

Robert Kollars: Fiction. While I do believe recruiting is better, it is that way only because of the new recruiting system and coaching trees. Once you dig deep into dynasty again this year, you will notice that while the menus have changed, it is largely the same. That doesn't mean I think it is a bad mode, just slightly improved over last year. The fact is Dynasty mode is a lot of fun to play, but there is still a lot they can add to it that would take the immersion factor to a much higher level.

Bishop Tart: Fact. Adding in skill trees for coaches makes it a better dynasty mode to me. I really, really like that feature. I'm not a huge fan of the new recruiting system, but I did get a hang of it after a few weeks into my first season. All in all, dynasty mode is the main mode I play each year. That's no different with '14 and I'm really enjoying it.

The simpler recruiting is actually harder and much deeper than last year.

Matthew Coe: Fiction. Based on limited exposure to this years recruiting in NCAA Football 14 I can't say that I feel the mode is deeper or necessarily more difficult. It's a little bit different, which makes it seem tougher at first. Given time, I think we'll all adjust and find recruiting no more difficult than last year. I actually do like some of the changes in recruiting but I certainly don't feel that it's as deep as it could be or deeper than last year. I'm glad that EA Sports changed up recruiting a little, but again, it needs a major overhaul in my opinion.

Robert Kollars: Fiction. I am a big fan of the new recruiting system, but not because it's more difficult or has been completely overhauled. I love it it for the simple fact(s) that it is less time consuming, deeper, and more realistic than what it has been in the previous titles. In the past it seems like the system had been tedious for the sake of being tedious, with no real advantage. This year the recruiting system has been simplified, and yet it allows less manipulation by the user to load up on their class every year. In prior versions of this title the recruiting system became a time-consuming chore quickly, albeit a necessary one. This year it requires the user to think about point allocations, the visits they set up and the time-frame in which they do it, and recruit specifically for their team's needs. With all that being said though, it doesn't mean it's necessarily harder or extremely deeper than previous iterations, but rather a much smarter, and streamlined system for the user to work within.

Bishop Tart: Fact & Fiction. Over the years recruiting, at least to me, was something I could figure out almost instantly. With this years iteration it took me a few weeks into my first season to figure everything out. The tutorial that they have is not all that great and it was just making sure I read and understood everything that was on screen. So I think the recruiting this year is a little harder than previous years, but not really deeper.

The Spread Option is represented well in NCAA Football 14.

Matthew Coe: Fact. Having never run the spread option at a high level in real life I can only base this opinion on how it looks and feels in the game. The results are impressive. Reading your keys both pre snap and right at the snap are crucial to success, as they should be. Quick decisions are required based on those reads to run the spread option well. I love the way that NCAA Football 14 has represented the spread option. I know there is room for improvement but it would be crazy not to give EA Sports credit where credit is due. They did a fine job with the spread option.

Robert Kollars: Fact. While it may feel a bit over-powered at times, I still love the true "threat" that the option game brings to the table in NCAA 14. The better the school you play who run's it, the harder it is to stop. So it's not difficult for the sake of being difficult. Just as I hate watching my Irish play a true option team in real life because of the unpredictability of it, I feel the same way when playing NCAA 14.

Bishop Tart: Fact. Although I think it is a little too easy to run this year, the spread offense is well-represented for teams that run it. I never really had an issue executing a play when running that style of offense. The spread option is also one of the most fun to use and being able to read certain players on the defense helps.

NCAA Football 14 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 The_Wise_One @ 07/15/13 05:20 PM
Dynasty isn't leagues better with coach skills but I still think it is a big time improvement. Agree with everything else.

# 2 illini4life @ 07/15/13 05:32 PM
Definitely the best NCAA football game since 06. In my opinion it's not better than 06, but the fun factor is there. I wasn't planning on buying this years game. Especially after the garbage EA put out last July, but I have to say this game is great. IE 2.0 is absolutely fantastic.

# 3 mjavon @ 07/15/13 05:52 PM
I can't speak for 06 as I was a Gamecube kid back in the day, but 14 has definitely been my favorite to date. It still has a few GAPING holes, but since no patches have been introduced yet I feel like I have to give it the benefit of the doubt... for now. The running game is perfect both offensively and defensively. Players feel like they have momentum, making cutting back against the grain an actual possibility.

I personally like the new recruiting. In previous years, I would have a top 5 recruiting class every year on Heisman. Now I struggle to land 12-15 solid recruits.

The passing game and pass protection need work, but by playing with the sliders you can get at least a pretty realistic game.

# 4 BBallcoach @ 07/15/13 08:15 PM
I love this years game. The gameplay feels very fresh. I loved Madden last year with IE1.0 but IE2.0 in the NCAA feels better and it feels like CFB. I like dynasty this year. Especially playing as as an OC/DC and your head coach filling out his skill tree can be frustrating but feels realistic, where coaches dont always agree but fight for the greater good of the team

The recruiting, seems tougher but like they said not deeper, but thats fine. It's still very deep they just trimmed the nuance out of it. All in all this is my favorite NCAA since 06. 06 was a great game and features stuff the NCAA wont allow anymore. So based on the similarities of the games. i would have to say 14 does those things better

# 5 phant030 @ 07/15/13 08:28 PM
With option, needs to be a pitch rating and maybe a generic option rating so every qb cant be effective @ it. Poor pitch rating can eliminate great human decision making and bring a poor option qb back to earth. Option rating can do the same for CPU decision making making their QB 'regular'

# 6 acarrero @ 07/15/13 08:58 PM
Easily the best of this generation. I too wonder about some of the reviews it got. Did they not play the game enough? Why is is that OS gave the best review it got? It's the first time in many years where I feel like this is a different experience from year before. It's the infinity engine, combined with the new camera angles and what I consider to be the most accurate online rosters yet.

# 7 BK_NC @ 07/15/13 10:02 PM
Nice article. I to agree this is the best NCAA of this generation. Need more time with the recruiting though. I put a lot of time into the system last year and got to like it and now I have to basically relearn recruiting. If it doesn't turn out to be better, then its another EA bullet point for the sake having a new bullet point on the box and for marketing but I still need to put more time into it before indal judgement.

As far as other outlets go and their reviews, I've come to the conclusion that I don't really trust some of the bigger outlets anymore when it comes to sports games. I just don't "know" any of their reviewers anymore with so much of the press the past decade moving off to the dev & publishing side of the business. So I'm not sure I fully trust their reviews. For a sports game I want to read a review from someone passionate about sports games and sports in general. They don't have to have to be experts in every sport but at least be knowledgeable about them and have a history of playing sports games over the years. That is one reason I seek out Operations Sports and other communities and the reviews they do along with the journalists featured on sports gaming podcasts such as the Press Row Podcast panelists because I can get to "know" them and learn if I want to put my faith in their opinions regarding sports games.

# 8 friscob @ 07/15/13 10:39 PM
First football game I've enjoyed in a few years. IE2 looks great and has vastly improved what we saw in M13. Think the coach tree was a great addition that added another layer of depth to dynasty. Option is a blast to run and the improved run blocking helps make it that way. I do agree w/ a previous poster that they need option ratings for QB's to limit its effectiveness.

Defensive AI needs a lot of work. QB accuracy and ability to read the field need to get toned down. Really don't like the new recruiting system. Never thought it was that tedious either. Wish they would have just improved the old one instead of completely revamping it.

Read IGN's review and started laughing. One of his complaints was the players not having names... we all know why this can't happen. He avoided talking about gameplay and basically just sounded like he was mad that it isn't next gen. Enjoyed some of the more cynical reviews that point out why EA is so hated.

# 9 Gopher @ 07/15/13 10:47 PM
Didn't buy last years game for the first time since 01. I heard it was pathetic so I saved my money.

Fact, best game since 06 but not as good obviously. BRING BACK 06's SOUNDTRACK!

# 10 tril @ 07/16/13 12:46 AM
I buy an new NCAA game every 2 years. I
This years game is good, but boring at the same time. That may be because IM not in college football mode yet..

Agree with everything that was said in the article.

# 11 OmahaKnights @ 07/16/13 12:52 AM
Not to hijack the thread, but that picture where Arkansas State's beating Cal, Wisconsin, LSU, Bama, and Oklahoma State for a high-level recruit is basically what's killing dynasty for me at the moment.

This game could have been so solid, but they really need to go back to the drawing board with this new recruiting system. I just can't take a game seriously where Georgia State's loading up on three stars and Virginia Tech and Mississippi State are battling for a 48 OVR recruit.

# 12 BigRick47 @ 07/16/13 05:24 AM
Love the game but really hate the fact that every team, big or small, runs a hurry up offense from their first possession! How realistic is that? That is only done by certain teams like Oregon or in certain situations or late in e game, but not right off the bat. I can't ever scheme my defense because their is no time and when the CPU does throw up the play calling screen you only have 3-4 seconds and the computer will run a play while you still are looking for a play, but on the offense side, it takes human users forever to get your team to the line of scrimmage, call a play and then have the animation of your QB change the play taking 5-7 seconds off the clock. I wish they'd fix that en I'd be happier.

# 13 BleedGreen710 @ 07/16/13 05:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRick47
Love the game but really hate the fact that every team, big or small, runs a hurry up offense from their first possession! How realistic is that? That is only done by certain teams like Oregon or in certain situations or late in e game, but not right off the bat.
That never happens on my game..

# 14 tril @ 07/16/13 05:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRick47
Love the game but really hate the fact that every team, big or small, runs a hurry up offense from their first possession! How realistic is that? That is only done by certain teams like Oregon or in certain situations or late in e game, but not right off the bat. I can't ever scheme my defense because their is no time and when the CPU does throw up the play calling screen you only have 3-4 seconds and the computer will run a play while you still are looking for a play, but on the offense side, it takes human users forever to get your team to the line of scrimmage, call a play and then have the animation of your QB change the play taking 5-7 seconds off the clock. I wish they'd fix that en I'd be happier.
this too, so far every team Ive played runs a hurry up offense.

# 15 BleedGreen710 @ 07/16/13 06:11 AM
For me the only ones who run no huddle are the teams like Oregon who run it in real life..

# 16 BigRick47 @ 07/16/13 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedGreen710
That never happens on my game..
it even did it in the demo, every team ran the hurry up from the start, I don't know how yours isn't doing it, but I think it's something that can/should be patched. It's mildly frustrating for an otherwise very enjoyable game.

# 17 The_Gaming_Disciple @ 07/16/13 09:21 PM
This year NCAA is much more improved than the past few years. However, with certain bugs and glitches that are inexcusable it really has hurt the hype for this game. Additionally, the lack to minor detail and failed promises by the EA staff has also hurt the game as well. Looking forward to seeing what Madden has to offer this year, being that their IE2 engine will be much more polished than NCAA. Running animations are a breath of fresh air, now EA just needs to work on better tackling. Too much time is focused on sights and sound as well as presentation. For all the time that is supposedly being given to these areas, their is no excuse for these things to be half worked on in the game.

For example: Notice how after a play when you look into the crowd often the fans are facing away from the field i.e. that is you can see their backs and not faces...it's the minor details that make the difference. Overall, I still am enjoying the game...now let's fix the grey face mask fiasco...le'go!!!

# 18 canesfins @ 07/17/13 03:18 PM
I like this years game. Dynasty mode with the new coach level system and new recruiting keeps things fresh.

# 19 skundy @ 07/17/13 03:49 PM
NCAA 14 is he best it has been in years. Want to make it even better? Use these sliders and really get in the game.

http://www.operationsports.com/forums/ncaa-football-sliders/642305-real-deal-gridiron-heisman-sliders.html

# 20 jpb07 @ 07/18/13 06:33 PM
Thanks for the info. While I was dead set against buying it; the NCAA licensing news from yesterday, this article, and the $52 price tag on Amazon convinced me to give it a shot. I've got both next gen consoles ordered along with Madden for the PS4 so I'll wait to hear about how good draft class integration is before considering a current gen purchase.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.