Home
Feature Article
The WWE Network And How It Could Tie-In With WWE 2K15

The creation of the WWE Network by the WWE, after years of relying on the pay-per-view (PPV) model, is the sign of a company both savvy and scared. On the one hand, they're embracing the service-based model that so many other companies have discovered (HBO, Netflix, iTunes, Amazon), and they're leveraging their considerable back catalog to provide loads of content and attract new fans. Conversely, it can also be viewed as a move of necessity and self-preservation, as the PPV market has been cannibalized by the WWE itself and hindered by the strength of the UFC.

It's an interesting parallel with the other digital arm of the WWE brand — the game license. The wrestling giant was forced to scramble when THQ went into bankruptcy in late 2012, tapping 2K Sports (Take Two Interactive) to make future sports entertainment titles. WWE 2K14 was a solid start for the WWE and 2K, as sales were about 1.4 million units across both platforms, according to VGChartz. Then again, if the WWE had their way, they'd still like to be with THQ, a company that wasn't exactly loved by the fans but who had stewarded the brand effectively, with their versions of the game selling 2 to 2.5 million copies per title.

But the digital market is fluid, and business models change with the evolving nature of consumer demands and expectations. The interesting prospect about this new reality for the biggest wrestling company on the planet is that it actually might end up providing some interesting opportunities between subsequent versions of the video game and the newly announced network.

Subscriptions Included with the Game

One of the most obvious possible benefits to this arrangement could be the inclusion of a subscription (several months free, some type of discount, etc) when you purchase a new copy of the next game. The smart move would be to include a few months free in the “standard” version of the game and an annual subscription with the “premium” edition (Madden 25 tried something like this with NFL Sunday Ticket). The company could even include certain on-demand content on the network that was only available to owners of the game. There are really endless ways they could create incentive for purchasing a new copy with this network, and the affordable price point they've already established ($10 a month) bodes well for this line of thinking.

In my opinion, the current reality of nickel-and-diming for paltry DLC offerings (moves, costumes, characters) just cheapens the brand of both the game and the company. Linking a subscription to this new network and the new version of the game helps create some meaningful value for owning a new copy, and it differentiates this product from others in the game space. If gamers are able to save money on the network by purchasing a new copy, they're likely to partake in both ecosystems, which helps the WWE's bottom line and gives customers a break financially. Everybody wins.

Community Involvement

This possible connection between the WWE Network and the next 2K release also presents some very intriguing opportunities for the community. With the toolset for WWE 2K14 already providing some entertaining material from users — such as character creations, venues and storylines — the possibility exists that the WWE might actually interact with this community in some way for its WWE Network. The likelihood is that many users will access the WWE Network from a gaming device (all consoles will, eventually, be supported), and many super fans would potentially have the game and the network, especially if my idea detailed above comes to fruition.

Maybe the company would dedicate a couple of hours a week in their live programming to highlighting storylines and characters from the community. One would presume that the fidelity of this next game will be enhanced greatly due to the next-gen tech, and this would facilitate high-def visuals that were a lot more suitable for a TV broadcast. The company could also pick and choose what they wanted to show, avoiding copyright problems from characters that infringe on various intellectual properties.

There could even be a “Be-A-Booker” promotion, where users of the game could create storylines and angles that would potentially play out on actual WWE programming. If recent events for the company are any indication — main star CM Punk walking out on the company; all-day creative meetings where nothing is off the table; a generally cantankerous attitude towards their own fanbase — maybe an idea like this wouldn't seem so crazy, especially if the WWE Network really takes off and lots of people buy the next game. At the very least, live-streamers of future games (through Twitch, Youtube, etc) should be considered as possible programming options for this network.

Making New Fans of Wrestling and Wresting Games

Another benefit to this network and subsequent 2K releases is the education of new fans, people who may have shied away from either the games or the actual WWE programming in recent years. I think this point was driven home quite clearly when WWE '13 was released, as the Attitude Era content resonated with people who don't normally pick up wrestling games. There was an “old school” audience being drawn to the game, and I think the same could be done for the network, as new fans of the game could go back and check out on-demand content on the channel to learn the history of the WWF/WWE and what led up to this point. Similarly, fans of wrestling from 20 or 30 years ago could reconnect through the WWE Network, and it might actually lead them to the game, if the tie-ins are executed correctly.

The WWE is clearly looking to galvanize its existing fans and create some new ones, so I think they would be wise to consider all possibilities when it comes to drawing people to either property. By creating an umbrella experience for both the digital service and the new games, they would span all generations, gathering most of their fans into one big bucket and exposing them to as much content as possible.

Will Any of This Happen?

It's hard to say whether the WWE would want to marry these two properties so closely, but with the company embracing the service-based realities of today's content needs and having some creative headaches, I would hope they would at least entertain some of these ideas.

Potentially rewarding creative people in the community with some type of input or access seems like the logical next step for an industry that has been pulling back the curtain for years, and linking all of the WWE digital services and products would corral all of their fans into one place. I'm intrigued with the developments on the WWE Network front; now I want to see the video game follow suit with some equally compelling ideas that complement that experience.

WWE 2K15 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 willz1985 @ 02/06/14 02:30 PM
i would be very surprised if the game didn't ship with some sort of discount or a month's trial to the network.

# 2 Mr2Nice @ 02/06/14 02:46 PM
I'd just include a free month, nothing more nothing less. No reason for them to include multiple months of free network service. They are already doing a 10 bucks a month and if you ask me that is heck of a deal.

# 3 Gramps91 @ 02/06/14 04:11 PM
It would be pretty cool. I wouldn't mind getting a free month or so.

# 4 CyberRudy25 @ 02/06/14 07:11 PM
I can't wait until this comes out for ps4.

# 5 CarryTheWeight @ 02/07/14 01:05 AM
Great article, Glenn. CAW wrestling shows, however, aren't anything new. They've been around as long as video capture devices and have come in many forms.

Some leagues or shows, whether offline or online, are pretty standard fare: they record the game and it seems like gameplay videos. Others go out and add their own broadcast flair, angles and creative ideas and they really develop a following and life of their own. As someone who does this in his spare time, I can say from experience that it really blends my love of broadcasting, gaming and wrestling.

When I saw that portion of your article, I was happy to see that you'd like to see something like that on the Network, and why not? It could bring a lot of attention to the awesome creative minds out there that do just that.

I also think live broadcasts of "WWE-Sports" events could be a revolutionary idea and an attempt to cash in on the growing "E-Sports" phenomenon that games like Starcraft and League of Legends hold. By nature, this type of stuff is free publicity for WWE and may draw a large amount of viewers if it's treated like something legitimate and not as something corny. The sky's the limit, and, hey, wouldn't the Network like that type of publicity?

I wouldn't be surprised to see "WWE Countdown" air a videogame-related show counting down the top 10 WWE video games in history. Hey, it could very well happen.

Anyway, there's lots to think about here and I appreciate your brainstorming efforts in this post. WWE Network may be revolutionary in more ways than one.

# 6 MaxCheeba @ 02/07/14 01:57 AM
Damn, I bet they wont have CM Punk in the game..

# 7 cusefan74 @ 02/07/14 07:57 AM
Giving me a free month of the network wouldn't get me to buy the game. On the other hand though, having the network should give you a discount on the game itself would be better. I wouldn't pay $60 to save $10.

# 8 Wiggy @ 02/07/14 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarryTheWeight
Great article, Glenn. CAW wrestling shows, however, aren't anything new. They've been around as long as video capture devices and have come in many forms.

Some leagues or shows, whether offline or online, are pretty standard fare: they record the game and it seems like gameplay videos. Others go out and add their own broadcast flair, angles and creative ideas and they really develop a following and life of their own. As someone who does this in his spare time, I can say from experience that it really blends my love of broadcasting, gaming and wrestling.

When I saw that portion of your article, I was happy to see that you'd like to see something like that on the Network, and why not? It could bring a lot of attention to the awesome creative minds out there that do just that.

I also think live broadcasts of "WWE-Sports" events could be a revolutionary idea and an attempt to cash in on the growing "E-Sports" phenomenon that games like Starcraft and League of Legends hold. By nature, this type of stuff is free publicity for WWE and may draw a large amount of viewers if it's treated like something legitimate and not as something corny. The sky's the limit, and, hey, wouldn't the Network like that type of publicity?

I wouldn't be surprised to see "WWE Countdown" air a videogame-related show counting down the top 10 WWE video games in history. Hey, it could very well happen.

Anyway, there's lots to think about here and I appreciate your brainstorming efforts in this post. WWE Network may be revolutionary in more ways than one.
Thanks for your well-though-out response. I'm certainly aware of CAW wrestling shows and promotions (even though I don't really follow them), and I was more writing from the lens of the WWE Network and how those shows might fit in with that ecosystem.

I certainly hope the WWE considers all possible ways that it can interact with its fanbase, and using the WWE Network and WWE games are a possible path for that.

Thanks again!

# 9 scottyp180 @ 02/10/14 06:19 PM
My idea to integrate the wwe network into the videogames would be to have "the wwe network" mode similar to the "attitude era" mode and "wrestlemania moments". I know this is extremely unlikely and unrealistic but my thinking was that since the wwe network allows to watch any ppv from the history the "wwe network mode" could essentially allow you to reliveany ppv. Again this is highly unrealistic but they could choose some memorable ppvs throughout history or have online polls to see what the fans want. They coildeven use dlc to add move matches, events, wreslters or rely on the community to recreate some ppvs, venues, wreslets, amd matches. This is just a quick idea but I think some kind of network mode along these lines would be a great addition to the series.

# 10 Blackwood Bully @ 02/11/14 06:12 AM
I would really like to see more Legends from Mid-South, WCCW, Mid-Atlantic, AWA. Since They have all of these tape libraries, I would like Them to use this as a platform for the younger generation that plays video games to show off some of these legends.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.