Home
Feature Article
MLB 14 The Show: A History of Left-Handed Infielders

Last week, I jokingly commented on MLB 14: The Show's fact sheet, which included the addition of "left-handed infielders." To me, this seemed not only an odd thing to add, but an odd thing to publicize.

If you are unfamiliar with why left-handed infielders are so rare, it has to do with fielding and throwing runners out. Lefties field with their right hand, but need to throw to the left (first base) to get the out. This leads to an awkward transition, bad throws, and extra time for the runner. Think about the throw a right-handed first basemen needs to make on a 3-6-3 double play, or a right-handed quarterback who rolls to the left for similar throws.

To be fair, a number of commentators have said that they welcome the addition since they're lefties and like to create themselves in Road to the Show as an infielder. That's totally fine, and a good justification for why we play video games in the first place. Frankly, it's more likely that a left-handed shortstop makes the major leagues than it is for me to hit a fastball.

But just how uncommon are left-handed infielders?

Using the always helpful baseball-reference.com, I ran a search for infielders (2B, SS, and 3B) who threw with their left hand since 1900. Here are some of the more interesting results:

• When looking at players with at least five games played at any one of those three positions, only two players show up: Mike Squires and Hal Chase.
  • Decreasing the number to three doubles the list, adding George Sisler and Don Mattingly.
  • If we drop the criterion to just one game played, the list "swells" to 14, including names like Lou Gehrig and Terry Francona.

Let's dig into those first two names (Squires and Chase), both who are listed as playing at least five games at an infield spot other than first base. First, history (by way of baseball-reference.com) records these two as being primarily first basemen.

• Squires started four games at the hot corner for the 1984 Cubs, including one complete game. That year, he compiled 37 innings over the course of 13 games, recording three putouts and nine assists in 12 chances -- good for a 1.000 fielding percentage.
  • Ironically, in 1980, Squires caught two innings -- another position not usually manned by southpaws.
  • He also spent time in the outfield and got the chance to throw a third of an inning.

• Chase is a bit more interesting, if only because over the course of his career, he played every position but catcher.
  • Like Squires, Chase threw a third of an inning (1908 Yankees).
  • Regarding infield though, outside first base, Chase put in the most amount of time at second base. Over the course of his career, Chase played 35 games at second, including 13 complete games for the 1916 Reds.
  • While we don't have the total number of innings he played there, he did make 18 errors in those 35 appearances. His fielding percentage for just second base is .890 -- respectable for a lefty playing second base, I guess.
  • Again, during his career he spent parts of three games at shortstop and one at third, as well as covering all three outfield spots.

For more context on some of these players and why they were playing infield, check out this old but fascinating blog, The Immaculate Inning, which discusses most of these left-handed infielders.

So ... left-handed infielders aren't common, and statistically, they are just a footnote in MLB history. But thanks to MLB 14, you can try to beat the odds (and physics, I suppose) and get your left-handed infielder to "The Show."

MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 BSUFAN @ 03/03/14 02:05 PM
It really is kind of odd thing to add to the game but I give them the benefit of the doubt that they know what they are doing.

# 2 eaw913 @ 03/03/14 02:16 PM
It definitely is odd, but I think it is a cool addition. It also brings in new animations and added realism. We'll see.

# 3 nemesis04 @ 03/03/14 02:18 PM
I don't think SCEA is advocating an army of left handed infielders. Maybe it is being taken out of context. Maybe it really means now if you stick a lefty at a righty position he will stay a lefty at the position and suffer the consequences. Also means they specifically have left handed throwing animations for those positions which they did not have in the past.

Also I thought these extra fact sheets were for the hardcore crowd? I doubt this would be a back of the box highlight!

# 4 CPRoark @ 03/03/14 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
I don't think SCEA is advocating an army of left handed infielders. Maybe it is being taken out of context. Maybe it really means now if you stick a lefty at a righty position he will stay a lefty at the position and suffer the consequences. Also means they specifically have left handed throwing animations which they did not have in the past.

Also I thought these extra fact sheets were for the hardcore crowd. I doubt this would be a back of the box highlight!
This is all pretty tongue-in-cheek. I'm certainly not complaining...anything that adds an extra dimension of realism/flexibility to the game is welcome by me!

# 5 Curahee @ 03/03/14 02:28 PM
The big things is really 2-fold.

#1 if you are a lefty in real life, this gives your CAP an opportunity to play an IF position as a lefty.

#2, in dire situations, this give the user the opportunity to place a lefty at an IF position if necessary and keep him a lefty, rather than the CPU auto-changing him to a righty.

Will I ever use it? No. Im a righty and I have no need for it.
But #2 might pop up one of these days and why not keep him a lefty if he really is a lefty.

# 6 nomo17k @ 03/03/14 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
[...

If you are unfamiliar with why left-handed infielders are so rare, it has to do with fielding and throwing runners out. Lefties field with their right hand, but need to throw to the left (first base) to get the out. This leads to an awkward transition, bad throws, and extra time for the runner. Think about the throw a right-handed first basemen needs to make on a 3-6-3 double play, or a right-handed quarterback who rolls to the left for similar throws.

I actually think this awkwardness factor is exactly the reason the proper animations for left-handed fielders in "inappropriate" positions should be included in the game. The only difference is that SCEA probably should've advertised the new feature *not* as "now we can use left-handed infielders!!" but as something along the line of "left-handed players playing out of natural positions are properly punished by their awkward mechanics."

As you correctly point out, left-handed players are rare in certain positions because they cannot make certain plays naturally and efficiently as right-handed players. So if somebody tries to put them in those unnatural positions, they really should have a good reason to do so, like their offensive contribution significantly surpasses their flaws in fielding.

Without the proper animations, we have been getting free lunch for putting left-handed players into positions for which they should be punished in playing. This has not been the case till MLB 14 (although they may have gotten generic reduction in fielding attribute ratings...).

So I am curious as to how this affects the game play. How much do you get penalized for playing a left-handed second baseman when turning two? Does the game have appropriate animation representing the awkwardness?

I hold my judgement till I actually see the implementation.

# 7 Woodweaver @ 03/03/14 04:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomo17k
I actually think this awkwardness factor is exactly the reason the proper animations for left-handed fielders in "inappropriate" positions should be included in the game. The only difference is that SCEA probably should've advertised the new feature *not* as "now we can use left-handed infielders!!" but as something along the line of "left-handed players playing out of natural positions are properly punished by their awkward mechanics."

As you correctly point out, left-handed players are rare in certain positions because they cannot make certain plays naturally and efficiently as right-handed players. So if somebody tries to put them in those unnatural positions, they really should have a good reason to do so, like their offensive contribution significantly surpasses their flaws in fielding.

Without the proper animations, we have been getting free lunch for putting left-handed players into positions for which they should be punished in playing. This has not been the case till MLB 14 (although they may have gotten generic reduction in fielding attribute ratings...).

So I am curious as to how this affects the game play. How much do you get penalized for playing a left-handed second baseman when turning two? Does the game have appropriate animation representing the awkwardness?

I hold my judgement till I actually see the implementation.
You are correct. Your précis is exactly why this change was made.

There was never any penalty for playing a left-hander in the infield. He was just forced to right handedness while on defense. There still is not any penalty other than the awkwardness and delay inherent with playing these positions left handed.

# 8 BROman @ 03/03/14 05:58 PM
As a lefty, I always played in the outfield & 1st base, but I played one season on a middle school team devoid of good infielders, so I had to play some 2nd & 3rd. 2nd wasn't that bad except for trying to turn DP's- I never did once. 3rd was ridiculously hard- almost every throw required a spin, so I played way off the line as a result, as a throw after fielding a ball backhanded was not going to end up well. Anyways, I'm interested to see if they've taken all of this into account.

# 9 mb625 @ 03/03/14 06:10 PM
My little brother, who is left-handed, is pretty set on playing shortstop. He's in 7th grade this year, one year away from playing in high school (they do things a bit differently in Iowa, with the summer season and all) and I keep telling him that he will likely be moved to either first base or outfield, due to his left-handedness... Guess history is on his side.

# 10 cardinalbird5 @ 03/03/14 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curahee
The big things is really 2-fold.

#1 if you are a lefty in real life, this gives your CAP an opportunity to play an IF position as a lefty.

#2, in dire situations, this give the user the opportunity to place a lefty at an IF position if necessary and keep him a lefty, rather than the CPU auto-changing him to a righty.

Will I ever use it? No. Im a righty and I have no need for it.
But #2 might pop up one of these days and why not keep him a lefty if he really is a lefty.
It could apply to DD as well, which kind of falls back to number 1, RB.

# 11 cubby blue @ 03/03/14 09:54 PM
Squires played for the White Sox that year not the Cubs. FYI

# 12 CaseIH @ 03/04/14 01:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke_21
There are lefty infielders, they're called first basemen
Exactly, that is the only place for a lefty in the infield is 1st base. Actually it is best to have a lefty at 1st base over a RH'er too.

Not sure why they are adding this in, so a lefty can play 2nd,ss,3rd or catch considering you wont see it in the majors leagues. But it fine with me, as long as generated players dont end up being LH'ed playing those positions in my franchise. I am also LH'ed too

In LL while I was our main pitcher I did play 3rd base quite often. We also had a LH'ed catchers mit, and the coach put me at catcher at times too which I loved, because Johnny Bench was and always will be my favorite player. In LL this kind of stuff really dont matter, because you typically have to put your best players at this positions to have success, but once you get older their are enough quality players the coaches dont have to do that. Actually once I got to highschool, my coach had this thing with his pitchers not playing any infield positions which I hated, cause I wanted to go back to 1st base when i wasnt pitching. So it was either play the OF or sit on the bench if it wasnt your day to pitch.

# 13 tril @ 03/04/14 07:54 AM
I never payed much attention to this in baseball games, until SCEA said they've included left handed fielders this year.
This is a nice little touch added by SCEA. adds another element of strategy to the game.

# 14 Curahee @ 03/04/14 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalbird7
It could apply to DD as well, which kind of falls back to number 1, RB.

Ive been granted a name change!

# 15 nbcards @ 03/04/14 01:01 PM
Glad to see it finally make it in. As a lefty I use to play 1b and 2b and now I can actually be a 2b in mlb the show

# 16 yougo1000 @ 03/04/14 09:00 PM
Don't get why people are saying lefties can't make plays. I was a LH infielder and did pretty well.

# 17 MLB Bob @ 03/04/14 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yougo1000
Don't get why people are saying lefties can't make plays. I was a LH infielder and did pretty well.
I dont get why people dont understand why its more difficult at an elite level for lefties to make plays...lol

# 18 dbacks_Nation @ 03/05/14 07:57 AM
How will this affect the draft and computer generated players? I'd hate to go one by one after the draft in order to make all infielders right handed.

# 19 jaredsmith83 @ 03/05/14 10:49 AM
As a lefty, I kinda want to make myself a utility player just to see if I can get inserted in all the infield positions during RTTS.

# 20 Curahee @ 03/05/14 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacks_Nation
How will this affect the draft and computer generated players? I'd hate to go one by one after the draft in order to make all infielders right handed.
There will be no left-handed computer generated IF players.
YOU have to make the player Left-Handed. The CPU will not do it for you.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.