Home
Feature Article
MLB 14 The Show: Best Franchise Challenges

With the additions of online franchise and quicker games, MLB 14: The Show is making it more appealing than ever to jump into its deep franchise mode. However, for some, the question then becomes: Which team should I pick?

For most, the answer is simple: their favorite team. But what if you are want a more specific challenge than getting the home nine to the World Series?

Here are some good (and tough) places to start:

Biggest Challenge: Houston Astros

If you want a team with almost no hope of seeing the post-season, Houston is the place to go. The Astros have lost 100+ games three years in a row, but have some young talent which could be developed into a consistent and talented core.

Best Team to Blow Up: Philadelphia Phillies

Outside of third base, left field, and center field, the Phillies are old...not necessarily bad, but definitely old. And, due to some big trades over the past few years, their farm system isn't great either. In real life, management seems reluctant to rebuild; in The Show, it may be possible to unload the aging stars for a new youth movement.

Don't Underachieve: Los Angeles Angels

With players like Mike Trout, Albert Pujols, Josh Hamilton, and Jared Weaver, it shouldn't be hard to improve on last years 78-84 record. Of course, in taking over this team, there are some large contracts to deal with...including any potential extensions with the young superstar Trout.

Don't Underachieve, part 2: Washington Nationals

Like the Angels, the Nats look great on paper (better, actually). But their struggles against the Braves (6-13) and teams with winning records (24-41) led to a fairly pedestrian 86 win season in 2013. This is a great franchise to mold into a perennial contender, assuming you can do what is expected.

Best the GM/Manager: Tampa Bay Rays

The Rays are a good young team with some nice pitching depth and a solid offensive core. But much of their success is due to both the shrewd financial wrangling of GM Andrew Friedman, and the clever game-management of Joe Maddon. In choosing to "franchise" with the Rays, you will have to use the same intelligence to duplicate their winning ways. Not easy with a tiny budget in the AL East.

Who Needs Luck?: Pittsburgh Pirates

The Pirates had an incredible year, reaching the post-season for the first time since the early 90s. But, statistically speaking, the team got a little lucky. Based on their runs scored/allowed, they should have finish third in their division, behind both the Cardinals and the Reds. Still, games aren't played using statistics...and players choosing the Pirates will have the opportunity to show that 2013 wasn't about luck.

So, if you aren't interested in a particular team in MLB 14: The Show, the above should get you started.

What team do you plan on using in The Show's franchise mode, and why?

MLB 14 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 21 ASUBoy93 @ 03/10/14 03:57 PM
I am just happy to finally be able to play The Show now that I have switched from Xbox. But to keep on track, I plan on using either the Marlins or the Cubs. Would love to finally win a WS for Chicago and of course using Miami would be a real challenge, especially trying to keep Stanton.

# 22 metsfan4life1 @ 03/10/14 04:12 PM
I'm from the belief that you should use the team you root for. I understand why others use other teams though. I'll be playing with the Mets, of course.

# 23 tessl @ 03/10/14 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisksaint
Don't see why Miami wouldn't be a good team to use if you're trying to build. Good solid young rotation with a few good arms in the minors. Stanton, Yelich, Ozuna provide some decent young hitters that are in the majors and Moran in the minors.

The idea that they have nothing to work with is just uninformed. Who knows about real life, but in the game get a few more hitters in the lineup and you should be good to go.
With default rosters...

They have the lowest payroll in the NL which will make it difficult to retain guys like Stanton - one of the new features is wins/losses impacting budget.

They have excellent late relief. Starting pitching consists of the best young starter in MLB and then some guys with little MLB experience which will equate to low durability ratings in the game. Low durability is a major problem - you will need to train durability exclusively for 3 years or more.

Lineup:
No third baseman.
Catcher will be hurt by the 3 year average, his only good year was 2013
Shortstop is okay defensively but can't hit
Second Furcal will have poor ratings, Solano will be the starter
First a serviceable platoon
Outfield Stanton is a star but no protection for him in the lineup
Yelich was excellent for 1/2 a season but will have same durability issues as starting pitching

If you use created rosters then anything could happen, they could be the '61 Yankees, but with default rosters they have 5 or 6 positions of need in the lineup plus a lack of durable starting pitching.

# 24 nusie @ 03/10/14 04:30 PM
I think the Mets will be a good challenge. Added some offense in Granderson, and the rotation, especially once Harvey comes back...Harvey/Colon/Wheeler/Snydergaard/Gee

# 25 RecordBreakerCF @ 03/10/14 05:13 PM
Hey nusie, you do know Matt Harvey won't be back until next year, right?

# 26 HustlinOwl @ 03/10/14 05:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecordBreakerCF
Hey nusie, you do know Matt Harvey won't be back until next year, right?
beauty of The Show he can be available from game one this year

# 27 SilverBullet1929 @ 03/10/14 05:15 PM
As a real life Marlins fan, I can honestly say most of what's been said is false and misinterpreted by the media. The Marlins have a lot of talent to work with both in the majors and waiting in the minors, the 2014 lineup is ages better than the 2013 debacle. The starting pitching is sooo underrated although I can imagine that being lost in the Show considering how overalls are likely calculated. Did you know the 2013 Marlins had the lowest team ERA in club history including our two championship seasons? Jose Fernandez is as good as anyone these days, including Kershaw.

As for the ballpark I guess its a matter of opinion but its gorgeous and unique, its not like it sucks playing there. The uniforms are neon? The Giants and Orioles both use orange uniforms and nobody calls them neon. Besides that they have home whites, road grays, and a black alternate so what's the problem? I know the cap logo is different and untradtional but that's about it.

As for Loria, he's not in the game, ignore that idiot.

Finally, I'm not here to fight for the Fish... I'm just saying they're a "better than you'd think" option for a franchise. With them being my hometown team, I absolutely love using them in the show and I honestly hope some of you consider giving them a shot.

Either way, have fun!

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

# 28 Eski33 @ 03/10/14 06:13 PM
My Tigers.

Other possibilities:
Oakland
Toronto

Like the unis!!!!!!!

# 29 pirates1fan @ 03/10/14 06:56 PM
Love my Pirates. I hope to be able to prove it wasn't a fluke season. I am concerned about the team in the short term, but I think their farm system has a lot of potential for just a year or two down the road. Can't wait to see what I can make it. May can't come soon enough.

# 30 tessl @ 03/10/14 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet1929
As a real life Marlins fan, I can honestly say most of what's been said is false and misinterpreted by the media. The Marlins have a lot of talent to work with both in the majors and waiting in the minors, the 2014 lineup is ages better than the 2013 debacle. The starting pitching is sooo underrated although I can imagine that being lost in the Show considering how overalls are likely calculated. Did you know the 2013 Marlins had the lowest team ERA in club history including our two championship seasons? Jose Fernandez is as good as anyone these days, including Kershaw.

As for the ballpark I guess its a matter of opinion but its gorgeous and unique, its not like it sucks playing there. The uniforms are neon? The Giants and Orioles both use orange uniforms and nobody calls them neon. Besides that they have home whites, road grays, and a black alternate so what's the problem? I know the cap logo is different and untradtional but that's about it.

As for Loria, he's not in the game, ignore that idiot.

Finally, I'm not here to fight for the Fish... I'm just saying they're a "better than you'd think" option for a franchise. With them being my hometown team, I absolutely love using them in the show and I honestly hope some of you consider giving them a shot.

Either way, have fun!

I'm considering the Marlins but with default rosters given the way mlbts calculates attributes as a 3 year average the Marlins will be the worst lineup in the National League and their starting pitching will have low durability.

They need to get some love from the new generated player system or with an aftermarket roster.

# 31 Ghost Of The Year @ 03/10/14 07:40 PM
Any one of the 30 teams are excellent choices, even the Damn Yankees.

# 32 SilverBullet1929 @ 03/10/14 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
I'm considering the Marlins but with default rosters given the way mlbts calculates attributes as a 3 year average the Marlins will be the worst lineup in the National League and their starting pitching will have low durability.

They need to get some love from the new generated player system or with an aftermarket roster.
Yeah I was thinking this too, so much of the positives I see with my Fish are things that don't translate well in The Show. Hopefully their future does keep improving and in a couple years they'll be so much more enjoyable in the game.

# 33 AntiBandwagoner @ 03/10/14 08:00 PM
Gonna try and return the Cubs to relevancy. I'm a first time buyer of The Show so just about every team intrigues me a bit it seems.

# 34 SilverBullet1929 @ 03/10/14 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiBandwagoner
Gonna try and return the Cubs to relevancy. I'm a first time buyer of The Show so just about every team intrigues me a bit it seems.
Agreed. Every time I read a thread like this where others explain the teams they have in mind or whenever I just read some MLB news I think I could probably take half of MLB and come up with an interesting general idea for a franchise.

# 35 Armor and Sword @ 03/10/14 09:19 PM
I have always played with the Yankees except for MLB 12 where I used my hometown Marlins. I also did a 5 year Marlins chise on MVP 2005 (was an awesome one too…..won back to back WS).

Anyway my Marlins chise in 12 was a lot of fun…..I missed the post season by 2.5 games in year one…..and never went back to it as I played every pitch of knights amazing 1994 turn back the clock roster as….you guessed it the NYY. Lost in 4 to the go go White Sox in the ALCS…..heart wreching to say the least after such a superb regular season and ALDS. Huge let down.

I will again take on the NYY in my quest for my first WS victory with any team on any version of The Show. I am in the ALCS right now with the 1999 NY Yankees……I had made the ALCS in 2009 two straight years only to lose in 7 both years…..2011 made the ALCS…lost. On 13 I made the ALCS and lost in a game 7 to Boston (as I did in 11).

So for 14 I plan on tackling the NYY again but now……it will be easy to stick with the franchise with cross platform and carry over saves regardless of which version I end up getting for 15!

April 1st can't get here soon enough.

Now…..if I were going for a true rebuild…..Padres, Phillies, or Marlins.

If I wanted a really young team with a deep farm system…..I would not hesitate to take on the KC Royals in the AL and Miami in the NL…..both teams have a ton of upside and youth.

# 36 MrOldboy @ 03/10/14 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curahee
I love that a Developer uses OSFM!

Except now I have to think about a dev possibly using the Cubs as I work on them. The pressure.

# 37 CBoller1331 @ 03/10/14 10:52 PM
Maybe quick counts and player lock will result in me actually finishing a season for once....then again, I'm so OCD about sports games ill still probably try to play straight through, and as usual get bored with the same team, take a break and never come back....

Probably will try the Cubs, Nats and Rangers this year

# 38 tessl @ 03/10/14 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet1929
Yeah I was thinking this too, so much of the positives I see with my Fish are things that don't translate well in The Show. Hopefully their future does keep improving and in a couple years they'll be so much more enjoyable in the game.

The advantage they have is some young players, especially the pitching who can be developed with training into solid players. Their starting pitchers are all under team control for several years.

# 39 KBLover @ 03/10/14 11:59 PM
I'll probably do the Nats and either the BoSox or Rays.

As for another...perhaps the Rockies. Like the ball park, like the jerseys, and seems like a reasonable but not frustrating challenge.

# 40 I3RIS3H @ 03/11/14 12:04 AM
I'm going to try to take my Royals to their first postseason appearance since 1985.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.