Home
Feature Article
NHL 15: Hands-On Impressions

It was clear from playing NHL 15 (on PS4) at E3 today that the team at EA Vancouver still needs to optimize some things, but what was there had me believing in a lot of their new vision for the series. I got to run through several games, and the teams on offer include LA, New York, Montreal and Chicago. Producer Sean Ramjagsingh said that the dev team has “about a month to go” in terms of production. Still, while it was early, there was a lot of great stuff to see in this build.

The upgraded player models, lighting, crowds, arenas and NBC broadcast presentation all add immensely to the feel of the game, which everyone pretty much agrees has looked stale for a while. Probably the most immediate thing that is noticeable with the new game presentation is the camera angle, which defaults to a slightly lower iso angle that tilts a bit when the action heads into the corners. The effect on all of this (height, iso, tilt) is very subtle, and I found myself liking it almost immediately. It really allows you to see more of the crowd, which now has way more frenzy, detail and emotion when they rise up to pound the glass or celebrate a goal. On some replays, the crowd would fly up, blocking the camera and animating uniquely and passionately, which was a welcome change from some of the robotic and simplistic crowds seen previously.

As has been seen in the recent screenshots, the arenas have a tremendous amount of detail, and the unique angles, sight lines, scuffs and scoreboards are all captured from some new replay and camera angles. In particular, some of the shots of the penalty box really bring the game to life, as there are Gatorade cups and stick tape on the side boards and fans right next to the player in the bin. The scope and detail on some of the wide shots for the arenas is really something to see.

Just the same, player detail is much, much better than anything seen before. Of particular note is the lighting and how it falls down from a player's helmet, as well as the sweat on player faces. To be fair, all of these skaters still have a bit of a “computer man” look to them, but actually seeing “Captain Serious” Jonathan Toews modelled correctly is a treat. It was even cooler seeing him talking to his teammate on the bench and having it look correct (lip-synching and gaze). Overall, some faces aren't spot on, but they are much closer than they were before.

In fact, that emotion was really evident whenever a goal was scored, as players like Patrick Kane would go down on one knee to celebrate and then crash into the boards, hugging a teammate and freaking out. I saw players smiling and yelling and generally acting like they'd scored a goal, and it felt a lot better than NHL 14. Speaking of goals being scored, the puck now flies in and out of the net in awesome fashion, which I know will make a lot of people happy. And as for those nets, the net cam on replays looks absolutely ridiculous, since the detail on the ice and players (and the new variety of goals) really make it look real. This was especially impressive later in periods when the ice was scuffed and full of powder.

For the new NBC broadcast package, the general look and feel of the overlays and replays is quite good. The flyovers for each arena are awesome, as they are in FIFA, and the green-screening of Mike Emrick and Ed Olczyk in front of the in-game arena works as a neat trick. As for the commentary innovations EA talked up (recording scenarios rather than scripted lines), it was hard to really tell at the show. Honestly, what I did hear sounded alright, but they seemed to be falling behind the action somewhat, which isn't a great sign this close to the game shipping. We'll have to hear more to know for sure.

As for gameplay specifically, the shot whip definitely feels different on wrist shots, as the release seems quicker and more direct. There were some great shots that wrung off the post and deflected past the goalie in the games I played. I suspect the demo was set to a lower difficulty, but the shooting and passing felt good (even though things were sluggish in this build and the framerate wasn't 60). There was still some legacy NHL stuff, such as goalies diving for the puck and missing and then having it tapped in for a goal. I found these moments few and far between, but a handful of animations or sequences did still remind me of the past.

As for the new puck physics, I'm happy to report that the puck carries much differently in NHL 15, with lower bounces and more realistic deflections. This created some interesting situations along the boards and around the net, and it resulted in some additional goal variety and unique scoring chances. I was happy to still see shots miss from time to time, and the puck would react much “flatter” than previous games, as it would hit the glass and roll the correct direction without bouncing wildly or accelerating randomly (not that there aren't some odd bounces, though).

In general, the offensive action feels crisp and interesting, and it's full of an energy and diversity that the franchise could really use. The added visual presentation certainly helps with the emotion, but the variety of shots, goals and hits make everything seem that much more dynamic. The skating feels nice as well, and exploding by defenders was made all the sweeter when you zipped home a nice goal. Passing definitely seems to have been nerfed a bit, as the new physics mean that some plays just won't work, even if you force them.

The other touted feature — 12-players being live for collisions — seemed fine, but it's not as dramatic as was being talked up. There were some entertaining pile-ups and trips in front of the net, and I was happy that players no longer ran into an invisible wall when nearing the goalie. To this end, the goalie was live, and players would go crashing into him when driving the net. I didn't see any crazy 8-man pile-ups or anything, and that's probably a good thing. This is probably one of those features that likely requires a lot of games played to really see what it means. As for the hitting from last year, it mostly appears in tact. However, a couple of things to note: a good deal of the hits now put the hitter down to one knee or didn't result in as ridiculous a hit, and the hitting does not result in fights as often, which is welcome.

Rammer also talked up the “Vision AI” as not being a one-and-done for EA, and he showed a series of slides detailing how the vision cones work for each player (what they see). The thought is that the players will judge all of the possible scenarios and passing lanes and then make the correct play. It was hard to really gauge this feature, as most of my gameplay was against human competition.

Defense felt mostly how it has in the past, with defensive strafing, the puck chop and a slightly deeper poke check animation than before. I was able to backskate about as well as before, and I had no problem lining up hits, using the kneel block or disrupting plays with poke checks. In fact, the poke check almost seemed to be dialed up again, so we'll have to see whether that ends up being where they leave it. Players did appear to hold their positions better on rushes and control the gap on point plays, but I need to see more action along the boards to know whether the puck support has really changed enough for my liking.

All in all, I was really happy with a lot of what EA showed. The NBC presentation seems like a good foundation for the future. The revamped players, arenas and crowds add a lot to the emotion and feel of the game (as does the great new camera angle). The improved crispness in offense and puck physics also help to create some diversity in how things play out once you cross the blue line. I really hope they clean up the framerate and sluggishness, but I have every belief that the final game will move and play how it should. If it does, there are going to be a lot of happy hockey fans in September.

Some quick-hit notes from talking to producers:
  • There will be a demo.
  • Ray Ferraro is modelled in the game (contrary to some reports), and Rammer confirmed that they'll place him in the correct spot for each arena, down at ice level.
  • Ferraro will be brought in throughout the season to record new audio.
  • Each team will have several intros from the main commentary duo, and EA is switching things around occasionally to help certain intros feel different (removing/adding screens, info, etc).
  • There are new celebrations after goals (both in terms of user-input and in the replays).
  • There were no five-man celebrations yet, but some producers claimed that they were working on celebrations right now and that there would at least be some three-man huddles (and you now see the whole line skating towards the bench after a goal, which looks good).
  • Benches have multiple coaches and backup goalies sitting in the right spot, which looked great.
  • When specifically asked about manual goaltending, a producer told me that it's still “being tweaked”.
  • Board play and fighting seem roughly the same, but the fidelity of the game adds a different feel to both situations (for the better, I'd say).
  • Less fighting from big hits, though.
  • The poke check animation seemed different, with a deeper lunge from the player
  • The four officials on the ice are live at certain points, as the referee (on multiple occasions) actually blocked a shot when drifting in front of the net, which is a bit worrisome.
  • That said, I don't know if the officials are always live, as the producers said they mainly "try and get out of the way".
  • The puck bounces in and out of the net now, and it looks tremendous.
  • The game uses the now-familiar EA menu system (blocks), as in FIFA, UFC, etc..
  • The goalie stance appeared about the same, but I'll be honest that I can't be sure (I'll double-check this).
  • Hitting doesn't cause fights as often, as EA realized it was tuned a bit high last year.
  • Players who slide on the ice will get ice powder on their jersey.
  • The game will be 60fps at launch.
  • They weren't talking modes, but the implication seemed to be that HUT, EASHL and all of the usual suspects would be in the game.

Do you folks have any questions I should ask in the next two days?

NHL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Serac @ 06/11/14 10:59 PM
A few things I'm curious about

What about odd man rushes ? The AI I was with while on an odd man rush always had no idea what to do, and just rushed the net, never opening up for a pass

In Be a GM, drafting was ridiculous - you would never find late round gems, and a change in "potential" could be good for such instances, if this wasn't fixed

And on that note, I'm still waiting on the hiring of coaches and other bench employees and how different coaches could affect different teams, but I suspect that's ahead of our time still

# 62 Majingir @ 06/11/14 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianlast
I feel like the biggest problem is that you (and the CPU) aren't really forced to do much to trigger penalties.

Spamming the poke check button used to mean tripping calls, but they seem to have done away with that. Body checking infractions are rarely called. Hooking and slashing only seems to be called when you press stick lift from behind the player. Holding only gets called if you pin against the boards for too long.

It's really a problem in all EA Sports games. I wouldn't mind seeing some canned penalty/foul animations being triggered through some combination of player ratings and context, but perhaps I'm in the minority there.
But the thing though is that before NHL12, this wasn't even a problem, it suddenly became a problem in NHL12 and has still happened in 13 and 14 and EA just ignores it as if hockey rarely has penalties or something

# 63 meep316 @ 06/11/14 11:54 PM
"There were no five-man celebrations yet"
Why the hell not....???

# 64 Aggies7 @ 06/11/14 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep316
"There were no five-man celebrations yet"
Why the hell not....???

I was really hoping they would add this but I believe I read there is 3 man celebrations so I will take that this year.

# 65 Smirkin Dirk @ 06/12/14 02:14 AM
Still concerned about lack of differentiation between star players/teams and 4th liners.

# 66 canucksss @ 06/12/14 02:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggies7
I was really hoping they would add this but I believe I read there is 3 man celebrations so I will take that this year.
it makes us wonder...how difficult is it to include this 5-man celebration in the game? It was there in the past right EA?

# 67 Moose24x @ 06/12/14 02:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Kidd
Still concerned about lack of differentiation between star players/teams and 4th liners.
Wouldn't get my hopes up.

# 68 bigwill33 @ 06/12/14 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksss
it makes us wonder...how difficult is it to include this 5-man celebration in the game? It was there in the past right EA?
Who knows? May be a frame rate issue. It may be a clipping issue. Or it may just not be a priority to them. If it were easy to implement you would assume it would be in, but they never address what the issue is, which is part of the problem to me.

My fear would be that when they do implement it, finally, that it will just be a cut scene and get repetitive. That may be another reason why it isn't in yet, perhaps it just didn't look or work right.

# 69 Grand-Al @ 06/12/14 03:31 AM
Is the CHL still in the Game ? Their contract was only 4 Years. If not that would be a big big blow.....

# 70 jfinger2013 @ 06/12/14 06:39 AM
Ask about the career mode and what if any new changes did they make to improve it, also about the dynasty/franchise mode did they improve the trade logic

# 71 shogunofharlem3 @ 06/12/14 10:08 AM
No full stick control on defense????? Ugh.

# 72 Eski33 @ 06/12/14 03:14 PM
Any discussion of classic teams? Will Hartford Whalers jerseys still be represented? Classic logos ion ice?

# 73 dodgerblue @ 06/13/14 12:01 AM
Will each team play like they do in real life so that there is more variety in games? If so, how is it accomplished (coaching, strategy, player skill sets).

# 74 meep316 @ 06/13/14 12:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwill33
Who knows? May be a frame rate issue. It may be a clipping issue. Or it may just not be a priority to them. If it were easy to implement you would assume it would be in, but they never address what the issue is, which is part of the problem to me.

My fear would be that when they do implement it, finally, that it will just be a cut scene and get repetitive. That may be another reason why it isn't in yet, perhaps it just didn't look or work right.
The stuff they do in video games nowadays, the power of these consoles, there is absolutely no excuse to not have it. No way it's a framerate issue or anything like that. EA just doesn't pay any attention to detail.

It's why for years now, we still have not been able to save our lines for online play. And with how terrible the people who do the rosters are, you then have to sit there in pre game edit lines for 10 minutes, making necessary changes just to make your lines playable. They just don't care.

Gotta make sure fans have face paint on, though.

# 75 hockeyyt988 @ 06/13/14 12:52 AM
Glenn,

Fantastic read; thanks for the update.

My only question is will the custom sound feature be included on ps4? I know sony hasn't enabled mp3s but when/ they do, it would be nice to have this feature included.

# 76 bigwill33 @ 06/13/14 01:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meep316
The stuff they do in video games nowadays, the power of these consoles, there is absolutely no excuse to not have it. No way it's a framerate issue or anything like that. EA just doesn't pay any attention to detail.

It's why for years now, we still have not been able to save our lines for online play. And with how terrible the people who do the rosters are, you then have to sit there in pre game edit lines for 10 minutes, making necessary changes just to make your lines playable. They just don't care.

Gotta make sure fans have face paint on, though.
I actually asked about the ability to edit lines online and save them a few years back and they told me it was by design that you can't. They figured that users that did would have an advantage over other users that didn't. Wasn't what I wanted to hear, but at least it was an honest answer, I suppose.

# 77 meep316 @ 06/13/14 02:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwill33
I actually asked about the ability to edit lines online and save them a few years back and they told me it was by design that you can't. They figured that users that did would have an advantage over other users that didn't. Wasn't what I wanted to hear, but at least it was an honest answer, I suppose.
That is literally the dumbest thing I've ever heard, lmao. What does that even mean?? How would one person have an advantage? Everyone would be able to edit their lines and save them....

Do they mean that users who edited their lines to create better combinations that actually fit, would have an advantage over those who used the ****ty EA Lines? That is stupid. By that logic, you might as well take out dekes, and saucer passes, and any advanced controls at all. After all, people who use them, will have an advantage over the people who don't. Bizarro world stuff.

Not to mention the fact that the edit lines screen is a disaster. You have to click on a guy, then scroll through pretty much your whole team. Then go to the next line, replace the other guy you just put on that line. It is absolutely awful. It'd be one thing if it were like HUT, where you can hit Y and quickly interchange positions, but even still, that would be dumb.

They have wingers playing center on the PK, defensemen playing the wrong sides. Ugh it is so annoying just thinking about how inconvenient the entire system is. So, so bad. It's like nobody over there thinks logically at all. How is there not one person who doesn't put their hand up and just be like "This is terrible and it has been terrible for years. We have to fix this, right now." ??

Also there should be a 3rd PK unit, or at least an "alternate" option for the PK. If one of my PKers is in the box, I don't want the computer choosing who replaces him on the PK, they never pick the right guy. They'll put Gaborik on the PK or something.

# 78 bigwill33 @ 06/13/14 03:59 AM
Keep in mind this was the answer given to me a few years back, when I was working here at OS on the regular. Things may have changed since then, but I doubt it.

They said the thinking behind it was that not everyone will set up their lines for a random vs. game online and that those who have it saved would have an advantage over the players that do not. I am guessing that they think the casual gamer would get frustrated playing an advanced gamer.

The other thing that they mentioned was that the rosters they had in the game were a true representation of what was going on in the league (laughable, I know) and as you alluded that people could stack lines. You would often see a player set up his fourth line with stars on it or place the top players on the pk to try and attack. The game wasn't good enough to handle this correctly (this part is my words, not theirs) and gave people that did this an unfair advantage.

Again, the hope was that people would just not bother editing the lines, or it would at least be even at the start of each game if you could see that your opponent was editing their lines so that you could take the time to do your lineup as well. The other idea was that the one pause in a vs. game was not a significant enough time to set all your lineup so that prevented some of the "unfairness".

I agree with you, however. There should at least be an option to save your lines for online play. Maybe you can only be matched up against others that have it set to the same, I don't know. But the lineups they have in this game are atrocious at best and the roster updates, when they finally occur, leave so much to be desired it is laughable.

In addition to what you are saying, you should get to choose who takes the draw when you are shorthanded. How you lineup should have more options for a face-off, they don't even let you have the winger flanked out wide to get to the point on a defensive zone draw. Not many teams put the winger inside of the d-man off of a own zone face-off.

They should also let us select any line towards the end of a PP or PK. If I make a final clear out of my zone I probably want a real line coming over the boards and not the other PK line. Same thing goes on the final rush up ice for a PP. No real team would trap themselves with tired or specialty players out in those situations.

These types of things are not even on the radar at EA. That is what I complain about. Unfortunately the casual fan, the ones that have the poll on the main page here that state they think NHL15 is the most promising EA game, don't know, understand, or care about most of what you and I just stated. The majority of the people that pick this game up in the US are the ones that played in that 2 minute video from E3 that was taken down by EA. They just want to fight and check and take slap shots to score 10 goals a game. They want to play the puck with the goalie every time and don't have a clue about match ups or face-off techniques. EA realizes this and to not cater to that crowd, which may be the majority at least here in the states, would be to take a large chunk of revenue out of their pockets on a game that is far down on the pecking order to begin with in terms of profit and marketability.

Having competition would do the consumer some good. But the best thing we can do is raise awareness and speak our minds to let EA know what is flat-out wrong with the NHL series. I do believe that is important to do this in a kind, productive, and professional manner in order to be efficient and respected, however. The main issue for me is that I lost their ear sometime a year or two after Littman was taken off the product and I haven't really gotten it back.

# 79 Dolphins88 @ 06/13/14 02:29 PM
I would take better realistic gameplay and differentiation in players/ teams over detailed fans and player models. I mean I remember nhl games on PC when certain players like Lemieux or Sakic or lines like legion of doom and detroits finesse team were on it was tough to defend against and it mattered. Hopefully EA gets this right.

# 80 Dolphins88 @ 06/13/14 02:32 PM
NHL 14 gameplay just seemed too generic.. Every player and team plays the same way and w same skills. It's just not exciting. Seriously get this right and I mean is rather see white towels waving then close ups of fans w face paint.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.