Home
Feature Article
NHL 15: Twenty Additional Details

I played some more NHL 15 today at E3, and here are 20 new observations:
  • There appears to be a discrete practice mode as well as a “skills training” mode. The sense I got from talking to producers is that these would be more like tutorials rather than skill games found in FIFA.
  • Crowds will have props, such as multi-fan signs spelling out player names (such as K-O-P-I-T-A-R).
  • Some player emotions do repeat themselves fairly often, but it is still neat to see players puff out their cheeks after a long shift, chat on the bench, grimace when looking up at the scoreboard or leer at someone on the ice from on the bench (there might be more in final release; hard to know).
  • The suction effect on board play has been lessened.
  • The goalie stance appears mostly the same as before, but the new animations, lighting and player fidelity create some subtle differences in the way the goalie moves and looks.
  • They have added a few new goal horns, but believe it or not, it's actually hard to license every single one.
  • Did I say the benches look ridiculously good? Well, they do. All 13 other players are there, the backup goalie sits in the right spot (mini bench), there's a trainer (different look for each team) and two coaches. On top of that, you've got Ray Ferraro between the benches. Awesome stuff. The crowd detail next to the benches really sells the whole thing. Looking at it in replay is just absurdly good.
  • The game uses a lot more motion blur during cinematics (referees skating in to make a call, etc.). Not sure how I feel about that, but it might need to be reduced a bit.
  • There will be a second “dynamic” camera (read: new) to go along with the already great camera option they've devised for this year.
  • Giving the goalie a snow shower is now possible, as players carving towards the net produce a pretty good spray.
  • I asked about attributes, and it seems they will still be in the familiar categories for players. It doesn't seem like there will be any increased clarity for what each stat category actually does (or doesn't) for a player, which is a bit unfortunate.
  • If there was any doubt, hybrid icing is in.
  • Because of the new cloth and puck physics, the puck can get stuck in a player's equipment.
  • This is preliminary, but from my time with the game, hitting from behind on a rush seemed to be less effective at dumping a player.
  • The poke check is actually doable while you turn, so this allows greater fidelity on the move and creates less of a robotic look.
  • The L3 button does still speed burst in a straight line, but the effect seems slightly less than before.
  • For what it's worth, the E3 demo was set on pro and simulation (not hardcore), and the penalty volume was decent (tripping, interference, boarding, etc). It's not where I'd like to see it, but we'll have to see on harder difficulties and with hardcore mode enabled.
  • You now see the arena spotlights flashing over the goalie after he's been scored on, which adds to the realism.
  • The goalie glove save (around the world) looks great.
  • Both consoles will have feature and resolution parity.

NHL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 asu666 @ 06/12/14 11:12 AM
Thanks for the additional details, I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on the retail release.

# 2 GrandMaster B @ 06/12/14 11:32 AM
Why is there no gameplay video of NHL, but there is for Madden?

# 3 Money99 @ 06/12/14 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMaster B
Probably because Madden's release is a month sooner.
And we may still get some gameplay vids later this week.

# 4 Majingir @ 06/12/14 11:54 AM
Quote:
Crowds will have props, such as multi-fan signs spelling out player names (such as K-O-P-I-T-A-R)
lol,what is this,WWE? Don't think I've ever seen that in NHL before.

Quote:
For what it's worth, the E3 demo was set on pro and simulation (not hardcore), and the penalty volume was decent (tripping, interference, boarding, etc). It's not where I'd like to see it, but we'll have to see on harder difficulties and with hardcore mode enabled.
I really hope penalties was fixed. Hopefully the demo had the penalty slider set very low as well, cause it sucks how past few years the penalty slider,even on max,produces maybe 1-2 penalties per team,per game.

# 5 Moose Factory @ 06/12/14 12:23 PM
Any word on Career Mode? Last years "Live The Life" was a massive text-based disappointment.

Gameface? (Fifa, Madden, Tiger Woods and now UFC have it).

# 6 Comp @ 06/12/14 12:32 PM
Quote:
If there was any doubt, hybrid icing is in.
Good, now I won't get stapled into the boards anymore post-icing whistle.

# 7 RUFFNREADY @ 06/12/14 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandMaster B
Found some NHL 15 gameplay at E3 2014; here is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX9hRqnT5sk

# 8 canucksss @ 06/12/14 01:10 PM
Thanks for posting these info's...hopefully...hopefully....we can see a vast improvement of this game especially in the PS4/X1 gen. (no intention of belittling the 360/ps3 owners).

# 9 DjRaY @ 06/12/14 01:21 PM
Is be a Rammer guy implemented?

# 10 jboe235 @ 06/12/14 01:39 PM
While I like the fact that they've overhauled the crowds and atmosphere of the arena, it was needed, it seems like they've gone really overboard with it. 9,000 unique fans(why so many painted faces?), signs, etc. are great, but I would have much rather seen at least some of the time/effort/resources/whatever into improving player models and uniqueness. Hopefully in upcoming years...

# 11 13whitebread @ 06/12/14 01:59 PM
I only play offline so all this presentation stuff plus new commentators is really up my ally. I want to be immersed into the game and I think from what I have been reading so far there has been a lot included off of my wish list

# 12 murph17 @ 06/12/14 02:10 PM
gamespot streaming live NHL 15 in about 10mins
http://www.gamespot.com/e3/live/

# 13 renatus @ 06/12/14 03:37 PM
"Both consoles will have feature and resolution parity."

This is for ps4-Xbox1 not ps4-ps3 right?

Knowing ps3 wont have realistic arenas was the first time i felt an hitch to get a PS4

# 14 PensDynasty87 @ 06/13/14 08:07 AM
Since when do NHL fans at a game wear face paint? Holding up signs, yes I've seen that but face paint? Come on EA watch a NHL game for crying out loud!

# 15 Money99 @ 06/13/14 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jboe235
While I like the fact that they've overhauled the crowds and atmosphere of the arena, it was needed, it seems like they've gone really overboard with it. 9,000 unique fans(why so many painted faces?), signs, etc. are great, but I would have much rather seen at least some of the time/effort/resources/whatever into improving player models and uniqueness. Hopefully in upcoming years...
The thing that worries me about 9K unique fans is how many resources something like that absorbs.
After NHL07, the EA team continued to add more and more to the point where AI suffered.
The development team claimed that they maxed out the power of the PS3 and 360 and so anytime they added a new feature, they were forced to take away from AI and simply give the CPU boosts and cheats to stay competitive.

My worry is that 2 years into next-gen, we'll start hearing the same thing
"Sorry guys, we have to make every player as good as Bobby Orr in order to make the CPU challenging. But hey, we just added 12K new unique fans, so enjoy".

Having better graphics, presentation, GM mode, etc is awesome.
But if they have to take away from the AI, then it's not worth it.

Rammer said in his interview that with the power of next-gen, they have the resources necessary to give us a more true-to-life gameplay experience.
Every developer blows smoke so Rammer can get a pass on that. But I pray (again), that this isn't another case of PR gone wild.
Please EA, it's time to deliver. 4+ console generations and counting and we're still waiting for players and teams to play like their real-life counterparts.
I swear, I think NHL94 still had it better than any other version. Without the PA involved, players were allowed to be ranked under 70. It was great watching Baumgarnter sloth around the ice like an 18-wheeler. He was worthless except to drop the mitts.
We need that back.

# 16 adayinthelife @ 06/13/14 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
The thing that worries me about 9K unique fans is how many resources something like that absorbs.
After NHL07, the EA team continued to add more and more to the point where AI suffered.
The development team claimed that they maxed out the power of the PS3 and 360 and so anytime they added a new feature, they were forced to take away from AI and simply give the CPU boosts and cheats to stay competitive.

My worry is that 2 years into next-gen, we'll start hearing the same thing
"Sorry guys, we have to make every player as good as Bobby Orr in order to make the CPU challenging. But hey, we just added 12K new unique fans, so enjoy".

Having better graphics, presentation, GM mode, etc is awesome.
But if they have to take away from the AI, then it's not worth it.

Rammer said in his interview that with the power of next-gen, they have the resources necessary to give us a more true-to-life gameplay experience.
Every developer blows smoke so Rammer can get a pass on that. But I pray (again), that this isn't another case of PR gone wild.
Please EA, it's time to deliver. 4+ console generations and counting and we're still waiting for players and teams to play like their real-life counterparts.
I swear, I think NHL94 still had it better than any other version. Without the PA involved, players were allowed to be ranked under 70. It was great watching Baumgarnter sloth around the ice like an 18-wheeler. He was worthless except to drop the mitts.
We need that back.
This this this.

Not to mention the whole "maxing out" the power is a load of bull****. It likely has a lot to do with the fact that these poor bastards have to work on such incredibly short schedules with yearly iterations, but that's just not true. It can't be.

No, I don't know a lot about making games, but I really, truly cannot see how a game like GTA V can exist if the NHL series is "maxing out" the PS3/360.

# 17 Dolphins88 @ 06/13/14 02:45 PM
It's called cutting corners and laziness.. They would rather give us 9k fans than make each player and team play differently. I mean they should get a real stats and rating system and make each player play differently. W the systems now they should have way more stats for each player/ team making them more unique. For instance shots ratings should be for wrist, snap, slap, backhand and differentiated with power, quickness/ release, etc.
Speed players should be more noticeable.. Eg doughty , Keith , Kane , suban etc should be a lot faster than guys like stralman, franson, Orr , etc. so that means you have to use your players strengths.. You won't be pinching w a slower guy unless your late in game down

# 18 akula @ 06/20/14 05:23 AM
i'd rather they work on AI and goalies than visual stuff, but guess what? it's relatively easy to add authentic arenas (IN COMPARISON folks) vs. adding a complex per-player AI system or authentic goaltenders..

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.