Home
Feature Article
OS Reacts: CM Punk in 2K Showcase Mode

CM Punk being in a WWE video game after the events at the beginning of the year is kind of a big deal. Throw in a classic HBK/HHH feud, and DLC add-ons and you have the making of a pretty awesome feature in WWE 2K15. How awesome? Check out reactions from around the site...

Phil Varckette: This sounds fantastic. Best friends turning into worst enemies always makes for a good rivalry. When Shawn Michaels made his return to wrestling after a near-career ending injury, a feud with HHH was perfect.

I do have to say I'm surprised CM Punk is being featured so prominently this year. But his feud with John Cena was great, and brought out the best in both of them. Cena showed us he can put on a 5-star match when needed, and Punk showed us nothing less than what we expected from him.

I feel like this mode will be a great addition to this years game. 33 matches in the feuds should make for some great gameplay, and add in the fact that WWE is producing this themselves, well, that makes it all the more enticing.

I can't wait to get my hands on this game come late October.

Chris Sanner: I went from thinking this mode was nothing more than a sideshow to now thinking it's going to sell the game for me. There are few wrestlers I like more than HBK, so a mode that features him in his return and his feud with HHH is just awesome. There were so many matches these two were involved in from 2002-2004 that were instant classics, so needless to say, people will have a lot of material to sort through. My biggest question will be if the Wrestlemania XX Triple Threat Match featuring Chris Benoit will be included in the game.

As far as Punk/Cena, this is as good of a recent feud to include in the game as any. I haven't gotten to watch WWE as much the past few years, but everything I saw from this feud was hot and the matches seemed to be top-notch. Given WWE production value being in this, I have zero doubts this mode is going to be a hit.

Scott Burress (@extremegamer): The implications of CM Punk alone being in the game isn't big, but the fact he's in the new featured mode of WWE 2K15 is huge. That means WWE at some point is going to have to acknowledge him, leading to more chants of his name at live wrestling events. One has to wonder if this could have real WWE storylines down the road as well bringing back CM Punk to the fold maybe?

With HHH and HBK, you have one of the best rivalry's in wrestling history but it comes with a caveat. The feud goes form 2002-2004 with 2004's feud ending with Wrestlemania XX and the Chris Benoit triple threat main event for the World Heavyweight Championship. There's been no word on if Chris Benoit will be in the game and no indication he will be but still strange to have this storyline without Benoit. Chris Benoit is back on WWE programming on the WWE Network with many of his best matches on display. Don't forget, 2K did once put OJ Simpson in a video game for All Pro Football 2K8.

DLC will also be incoming, would love to see Austin/Rock or Undertaker/Mankind down the line as well. Could have some fun with any of those. Both of those have been done before in the past few WWE games, but could really be fleshed out in this mode.

Glenn Wigmore: These are probably two of the easiest rivalries for them to do since 2K and the WWE have unlimited access to those who were involved in the feuds, save for CM Punk. Also, these were recent feuds, and that requires a lot less remastered video and rights management. This doesn't mean that I don't think these two rivalries will be interesting to play through, but it's a fairly calculated move to in terms of why they picked the ones they did.

The CM Punk and John Cena feud will actually work fairly well, as this period of time (2011-2013) encompasses CM Punk's massive title reign and lots of back and forth with Cena. Even better, there are a lot of novelty matches in this time frame, and other wrestlers will likely become involved (The Rock, HHH, The Shield, etc). I assume all matches won't be just Cena versus Punk, so some of these other players will likely be "linked" to the rivalry.

HHH and HBK will also have some good matches in there, including the start of their rivalry where HHH turned on his would-be DX buddy. There is the first-ever elimination chamber match in that feud, as well as the "Three Stages of Hell" match. I sort of doubt that they'll include the Wrestlemania triple-threat match that had Chris Benoit, as 2K could likely write around it. Sure, this isn't really the most "storied" feud, but there are some good matches in there that will be spiced up by flashy presentation and fun in-match spots.

From the Forums

R9N9LD: Triple H vs Shawn Michaels is fine...but Cena vs Punk... :|

Off all the incredible rivalries Austin/Rock, Austin/Triple H, Undertaker/Shawn Michaels, Undertaker/Kane, Sting/NWO, Rock/Mankind etc. these are the two they come up with?

I hope and pray that the DLC rivalries are better.

TheBleedingRed21: HHH and HBK is a great choice.

The other, ovbiously they are going to have a more recent rivalry for newer fans. They wouldn't choose two rivalries that are older that the younger generation might not remember.

King_B_Mack: Wow, I stand corrected lol. This should be interesting to see how it works out. I like the HBK/HHH rivalry as that's never really been explored in-depth before. The Punk/Cena is eh for me as it wasn't really all that great. The only great thing about that is going through the Summer of Punk which HHH/Nash ruined anyway. Definitely interested in the DLC rivalries and how they'll work as well.

MoneyOvaHuds: I think they might let Benoit in the game and they will profit off it because regardless of what happened "off the mat" he's still popular and respected for what he's done in the ring. Nobody will condone what he did, and they shouldn't. I'm still a fan of Beniot's in-ring work and will forever be thankful for the shoes he put on. I hope they do add him for realism, you can't run from the past as much as you want to; (it's) better to stare it in the face. Sometimes the blacklash isn't as bad as you think . With Punk and Sting confirmed for this game already just adding Benoit will already make this one of the must-own WWE products .

From Twitter:

@ovfd55 - Kinda shocked Punk there,would think they want to distance from him so fans chant stops

@CM_Hooe - A big point of the 00s HHH/HBK rivalry was the WM20 triple threat w Chris Benoit. Do you think he makes the roster?

@Gleasonavenue - surprised

What are your thoughts on the inclusion of HBK/HHH and Cena/Punk as the two free rivalries in WWE Showcase?

WWE 2K15 Videos