Home
Feature Article
NBA 2K15's Gameplay is Fresh Enough to Be Good

Although fans of sports video games have watched the choices dwindle dramatically over the years, one of the titles gamers can always count on being available is an NBA game. The options may limited, but no one has done NBA games better than the NBA 2K team. NBA 2K, while not perfect, has been consistent in bringing the most authentic style of NBA hoops to your console and PC for some time. With the release of NBA 2K15, we wanted to take a look at the gameplay additions and tweaks, and see if the newest edition is a slam dunk, or if it hits back-iron as time expires.

One of the first on-court gameplay improvements users will notice in NBA 2k15 is that there are fewer elite players, in fact only four players rated over 90 to be exact. Fans expect to be able to dominate with certain stars, and this was true in previous versions. In previous titles there wasn’t a huge separation or difference with a good NBA player like a Luol Deng, David Lee, or Pau Gasol, versus the truly elite players like a Lebron James, Chris Paul, or Kevin Durant. This year though, one can absolutely feel the difference in power, skill, and ability of those higher rated players, which is very welcomed.

Another improvement just as important(if not more) than the above mentioned, is player movement. Without question NBA 2K14 was a beautiful game to look at, but it’s odd and awkward animation choices at times made for a lot of frustrating gaming moments. For the most part those frustrating animations have been removed, and the overall player movement has been vastly improved. The game and players now move in a much more fluid style, the animations look much more natural and consistent with what one would see in a real game. If one was to put the controller down and let the CPU control both teams, 2K15 looks very natural in motion and mimics what fans would see in a real game on the court.

The NBA 2K series has been panned by critics and OS'ers alike for its unrealistic court spacing and player bunching. It made the game look like it was being playing on a junior-high court, as opposed to a regulation sized NBA court. I am thrilled to report that this issue has been dramatically improved in NBA 2K15. Now players and teams have a true understanding of what action is taking place on the court, and more importantly, act and respond accordingly.

In the same vein as realistic court spacing and player movement, is the approach of play style the game takes this year. Except on the lowest of difficulty levels, it is very apparent the game strongly rewards you for playing the game less like a video game, and more like the teams and players do in real life. Seemingly gone are the days of constant iso moves and plowing your way to the rim, as now the game encourages the users to play within the scheme of the team’s style, and the players ability. While this may not be a welcomed addition to some users, it is a most welcomed improvement for those who enjoy the team concept aspect of the NBA as a whole.

In NBA 2K14 I had a big issue with the passing system that was implemented, and I wasn’t alone in that. The directional passing lacked intelligence, and there was very little “zip” on the ball through its course of travel, which sadly made for a high number of unnecessary turnovers. This looks like an area that 2K has addressed in 2K15, but probably still needs to tweak it a bit more. Icon passing will always be the best method, but directional passing has improved to a degree, and there does seem to be more effort made behind a pass. Regardless of what style of passing you use, you have to be smart about taking care of the ball on each and every possession though, and no amount of tweaking will ever supersede that.

Last but not least I feel the need to address the rebounding. It seemed in 2K14 there was a large discrepancy between the thought and effort the CPU opponents made towards crashing the glass, than my CPU controlled teammates, who seemed more interested in who is the crowd. When I played my first game this year I initially felt like very little was done to eradicate this issue, and I made a strong note of that. As I played further though, I started noticing that maybe it wasn’t so much that my teammates didn’t feel compelled to attack the glass for a rebound, but rather they were doing it based off of where I had positioned my player of choice, to do the same. I found myself rushing the lane with my 6’2” point guard and coming away disappointed that my three defenders underneath couldn’t stop the opponents one player from grabbing the free ball. I finally made a conscious effort to let my CPU teammates do their job(s), and was rewarded with much better rebound numbers, and numbers that matched the teams ability. Aggressive is good when rebounding, but not if its approached with reckless abandonment.

NBA 2K15’s gameplay may not be perfect, but it offers users an extremely authentic experience. Sure, basic tenants of the gameplay are still there and the game feels similar to previous titles, but this year’s version has been tweaked and improved upon enough to make it feel fresh. There are enough improvements and tweaks that even hardcore fans of the series should find legitimate reason to warrant a purchase. In an era in which the competition is extremely limited, 2K has a found a way yet again to push the boundaries and stay innovative with NBA 2K15, even when they didn’t necessarily have to.

What are your thoughts on the gameplay in NBA 2K15?

NBA 2K15 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 WaddupCouzin @ 10/09/14 11:03 AM
Good read!

I'm not sure what forums you're looking at but typical post in the 2K forums start with, Let me Tell you what I don't like about this game! Lol. I'm all for constructive criticism, but you can't have any thread in this forum without it turning into a whining fest about how this game stinks. So no, I dont think people are too easy on this game at all.

# 2 spankdatazz22 @ 10/09/14 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizDevConglomerate
Or, release full titles bi/tri yearly, and DLC updates in between. Only charge for the license rights to rookies and anything new league wise. But yeast after year for minor upgrades is old as taking a taxi. Now we just UBER.
Why don't you as a consumer simply choose to purchase the game every 2-3 years? Then you're more likely to see a more dramatic difference as you desire. Personally, I don't play the game daily. But usually if you compare what the game plays like at release versus what it's tweaked to be over the year, I always notice a difference.

Even in games that release every few years (Halo, Uncharted, etc.) I don't think you see overly dramatic differences between the iterations. And the games will still have issues, although they'll definitely be more polished. Sports games need feedback imo though. I just don't see a DEV team fully accounting for the myriad problems that occur when millions of gamers of differing skill levels and playing styles begin playing the game, even if they're given 2-3 yrs.

# 3 morningstar777 @ 10/09/14 11:25 AM
I think when anyone reviews games from now on the reviews should be based on online AND offline play. And the overall score should reflect that.

# 4 KennyJ1976 @ 10/09/14 11:45 AM
I wanna know why all these sports games insist on removing playoff mode from the gameplay options? I know it's not as popular as some of the other modes, but I guarantee that many gamers including myself that likes to simulate the real world playoffs still play this mode to warrant its inclusion . Haven't really tried the other game modes yet, waiting on opening night rosters before I start.About to check out online to see if the servers are finally up to par. Hopefully 2K will go the NHL 15 route and add playoff mode in a patch.

# 5 Jakeness23 @ 10/09/14 11:46 AM
I think the gameplay is more of the same honestly. It's too animation driven instead of user driven. Your teammates help D is awful; they switch or try to double team at the worst possible moment, passing is somewhat improved, but the CPU still all of the sudden jumps in the way of a pass down to the post a lot. You have to wait for an animation to play out before you can react which makes your players look slow but the CPU is able to react quickly. I don't know what experiences y'all have been having, but it is the same old 2K to me; feels just like 12, 13, and 14. 11 is still the most fun I've had with a basketball game. I think after 11, the reviewers started handing stuff out to 2K instead of reviewing them critically and objectively.

# 6 rundat21 @ 10/09/14 11:49 AM
How do u manual cut? I press L1 player icon and when I go to cut him with the right stick my player still does dribble moves.

# 7 WaddupCouzin @ 10/09/14 11:58 AM
And so it begins... Lol!

# 8 SaC_KiNg09 @ 10/09/14 12:05 PM
Gameplay has definitely been improved. I watched a bunch of YouTube videos before purchasing the game, let me tell you, this is one that you have to see and FEEL in person. The videos that I watched online kind of did a disservice to what is actually some great on-court action this year.

Watching the CPU-CPU videos online kind of put me off as the offense being ran looked stagnant and I even saw CPU players passing up open shots to drive in the lane. On All-Star simulation, no slider changes, this was definitely not the case. Wide open shooters shot the ball, I saw change of pace from the offense, and a variety of fast break opportunities.

Also, another star of the show is movement and momentum. The players move so smooth, and you can rush an open shooter and not pay the consequence of the player blowing by you. Defense is greatly improved as the movement isnt as sticky in 2k14 and this allows you to really play some defense.

I don't normally comment on games but I must say 2K did and outstanding job this year. A worthy $60 purchase.

# 9 Retropyro @ 10/09/14 12:36 PM
My biggest complaint has always been, the cpu defense and the fact that it "mirror's" you. Attributes like speed, quickness, dribble skill don't mean anything.
I'm hoping that this year that is not the case.

# 10 Jakeness23 @ 10/09/14 02:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaC_KiNg09
Gameplay has definitely been improved. I watched a bunch of YouTube videos before purchasing the game, let me tell you, this is one that you have to see and FEEL in person. The videos that I watched online kind of did a disservice to what is actually some great on-court action this year.

Watching the CPU-CPU videos online kind of put me off as the offense being ran looked stagnant and I even saw CPU players passing up open shots to drive in the lane. On All-Star simulation, no slider changes, this was definitely not the case. Wide open shooters shot the ball, I saw change of pace from the offense, and a variety of fast break opportunities.

Also, another star of the show is movement and momentum. The players move so smooth, and you can rush an open shooter and not pay the consequence of the player blowing by you. Defense is greatly improved as the movement isnt as sticky in 2k14 and this allows you to really play some defense.

I don't normally comment on games but I must say 2K did and outstanding job this year. A worthy $60 purchase.
What game are you playing? I feel like defense is a step back if anything. Players don't move smoothly to me, they react slow and then when they do finally move it's way too much. I like that there's weight to the players, but they all weigh the same! Kemba Walker shouldn't react as slowly as Big Al.

# 11 Maxbeatzz @ 10/09/14 02:46 PM
I've played online about 20 times with the t-wolves I average thirty points...thirty with zach livine! All dunks does that seem legit? I think it pretty much plays the same overall or maybe it's because it's still preseason.

# 12 yelwarraef @ 10/09/14 06:34 PM
Fewer elite players? According to my last game, monte Ellis is comparable to Jordan in his prime.

# 13 BadRad25 @ 10/09/14 08:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeness23
What game are you playing? I feel like defense is a step back if anything. Players don't move smoothly to me, they react slow and then when they do finally move it's way too much. I like that there's weight to the players, but they all weigh the same! Kemba Walker shouldn't react as slowly as Big Al.
I totally agree with Jakeness23, the defense in this game seriously lacks in mobility for player use. I can say the same for the offensive side. Players feel extremely heavy, not to mention there is a lack of responsiveness when imputing commands to do dribble move, timing a jump to block a shot, staying in front of the cpu when playing D, and the canned animations you're still forced to deal with in many situations. I'm a huge supporter of 2K basketball since Dreamcast and this game just seems to fall short on a gameplay aspect when it comes to feeling in control of your players/mobility. I do however like the presentation additions to the game but, even that can improve in time ( What happened to the halftime show?). Fast players like D.Rose, Westbrooke, Lillard, etc should be able to switch directions quickly like they do in real life. Instead they too feel very heavy and sluggish. I'm not bashing 2K at all, I just want them to focus on the small but seem to be big problems in terms of gameplay and overall player control of the game

# 14 CWilson04 @ 10/09/14 08:32 PM
" Seemingly gone are the days of constant iso moves and plowing your way to the rim, as now the game encourages the users to play within the scheme of the team’s style, and the players ability"

I don't mind the iso moves and driving to the basket. You shouldn't be force to play a teams style. If you take the Cavs..this is YOUR controller team. Do as you please. The issue is balancing the AI defense. They either react so good that the defense is literally making perfect defensive movements with their back to the basketball (impossible) or they don't react properly when they do see the player with the ball. Now not every possession can a defender react, otherwise every team in the league would be great at defense when there's only 4-5 good defensive teams out there to begin with. The balance needs to be found but the game (not sure if it's in 2k15) needs to get rid of the "I have eyes behind my head) crap. You pass the ball and all of a sudden the defender who is facing the crowd knows you're passing the ball and magically turns around. It's the VERY small things that 2k has refused to fix over the years.

# 15 Phil_Lapineau @ 10/09/14 10:06 PM
I like that defenders are a lot less mobile and have more momentum. It means that on the ball, you have to actually keep a safe distance from the ballhandler to guard against the dribble drive just like 99% of NBA defenders do in the post-handcheck era.

# 16 thedream2k13 @ 10/09/14 10:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtkiii
Agreed...that would be helpful as I rarely play online. So I couldn't care if the servers are bad which would drop the score from 9.0 to 8.8. Two scores would be great. Nice suggestion!
Yet my player is down because the servers are down hmmmm

# 17 BA2929 @ 10/09/14 11:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeness23
I think defense is fine. You really have to feather the stick though, or your guy flies around and gets out of position. I think a majority of you that are having issues with defense are controlling your guys like 2k14. That doesn't work in 2k15.

Just an opinion.

# 18 macmizzle13 @ 10/10/14 04:00 AM
After so many years, why can't the pacers have navy blue colors for away accessories? I know they may appear black but look closely 2k. It's blue. Irks me!

# 19 onyx030 @ 10/10/14 08:15 AM
what i just dont get about this game is that still things like warping/glitches happen. I've seen examples where the ball goes through players in the paint. Seriously???

How can I expect to play a normal game if those kind of bugs exist after all this time? Why should I purchase a game in which my efforts can be diminished like that? Imagine the AI wins a close game like that after you play 47min of a match. This ruined previous versions.

Why is it so hard for 2K to once include real physics? When you see them year for year add all kinds of game modes and other features, can you just please for one year concentrate on eliminating this silly non-sense? #breaktheinternet .... right.

Sorry, but if you have time to mo-capping cheerleaders, do 2K-TV and all the other stuff like that, gameplay related serious bugs like warping and glitches are inexcusable to say the least.

What's your experience with 2k15 gltiches and warping?

# 20 SirDAB @ 10/10/14 12:13 PM
Always played and enjoyed 2K basketball but there are things that don't make sense from a 2K series maturity perspective.

A few examples:
> Defensive-oriented teams should demonstrate their major strength no matter controlled by human or CPU. There's a noticeable differences playing with the Bulls than against the Bulls (CPU controlled). Literally watching Noah, Gasol, etc allow uncontested passes and shots against much smaller players when human controlled. At a minimum, put hands up more consistently.

> Why are players allowed to literally run off the court, especially underneath the basket. Also, out of bound play defenders are out of bounds....

> Underneath the basket human-controlled put-backs almost always result in human controlled big men trying to lay the ball into the basket; no dunks? Omer Asik, Anthony Davis laying up rebounds\put-backs....please....

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.