Home
Feature Article
Six Deceptively Good Fighters in EA Sports UFC

Everyone has their go-to characters in a fighting game, and EA Sports UFC is no different. Particularly before the most recent patch, there were a predictable number of fighters you might see for the various weight classes. Names like Werdum, Aldo, Barão, Jones, GSP and Rousey are familiar if you’ve played any of online for EA Sports UFC, but here are six names that might not be as common. Some of them are a staple of certain players online, but I still see them so rarely that I think most people haven’t realized what they bring to the table.

Check it out…

Stipe Miocic
Ratings: 92 striking, 88 ground, 86 submissions
Perks: Fluidity, Marathoner, Stop Hitter

Some users have known this since he was added to the game, but Miocic can bring it. With his 92 striking and great perks for throwing punches and not losing stamina, he is capable of beast mode. Stipe is even pretty respectable on the ground, as he can drop people and finish the fight if he gets to a dominant position. The fact that he’s a heavyweight and has “marathoner” is tremendous, and if you’re patient, you can really push the pace more than almost any other heavyweight. He’s certainly not unbeatable, but he’s able to stand with the very best in the division, which might not be apparent to some people scrolling past him. He’s got some of the smoothest combos at heavyweight.

Vitor Belfort
Ratings: 92 striking, 92 ground, 91 submissions
Perks: Phenomenal, Chess Master, Heavy Handed, Fluidity

This isn’t to say that Vitor would ever be considered a “sleeper” fighter by any standard, but he isn’t somebody who gets picked much online during light-heavyweight matches. The thing is, Vitor has crazy power in his hands, and the “fluidity” and “heavy handed’ perks allow him to use that speed and power to even more devastating effect. Rounding out his attack is very solid ground and submissions, both of which are buffed by perks that speed up those areas and make him a threat. He certainly can gas when standing, but he can make anyone look silly real quick.

Luke Rockhold
Ratings: 90 striking, 90 grappling, 90 submissions
Perks: Vicious Kicks, Answering, Relentless Assault, Carved of Wood

Rockhold is just a very smooth striker and well-rounded at all facets of the game. He won’t look out of place in any situation, and he’s able to land some decent combos with his buffed kicks and “Relentless Assault” perk. He’s one of those guys who can push the pace and back people up, but then he can score a decent takedown and land more damage. He might not finish the fight on the ground, but he can certainly make it worth his while for taking someone down. He’s just a really balanced fighter.

Matt Brown
Ratings: 92 striking, 87 grappling, 88 submissions
Perks: Higher Altitude, Weathering Storms, Swing for the Fences, Razor Wired

I really dig the addition of Matt Brown to the game, and I’ve had some great wars with people online as well as with the CPU offline. Even though he’s a pretty wily brawler, you can enjoy some limited success with him by taking people down. You won’t want to stay there long, but it’s a nice way to ensure you’re scoring points in all areas. His stand-up is pretty ruthless, and all of his perks allow him to throw some crazy uppercut and hook combos without much fear.

Chan Sung Jung
Ratings: 90 striking, 90 grappling, 97 submissions
Perks: Carved of Wood, Desperate Measures, Vengeful, Bobble Head

What I love about Jung is that most people just don’t see him coming. He’s got sick submission skills, so that keeps you out of danger that way but also gives you a specific path to victory if people get greedy on the mat. The great thing is that his striking is quite strong as is, and his perks are all geared around inflicting and surviving health events. Sometimes he can get a bit lost in a combo war with another skilled striker, but if he gets people backing up, he can be a big threat, especially if you mix in the odd kick. His ground game is serviceable enough to survive most challengers, too.

Liz Carmouche
Ratings: 85 striking, 86 grappling, 89 submissions
Perks: Marathoner, Swing for the Fences, Warrior of Attrition, Vicious Kicks, Answering

Once again, Carmouche is definitely somebody who people will pick online from time to time, but considering how small the pool of female fighters is, I’m surprised she’s not a more popular choice. While many people will flock to Rousey or Zingano, Carmouche can quietly end fights and win decisions as much as her higher-rated peers. Having five perks makes up for a low striking rating, and two of those help conserve and regenerate stamina. She also has devastating wobble ability and vicious kicks, and she can even scramble decently on the ground when things get rough. Don’t overlook her.

EA Sports UFC Videos
Member Comments
# 1 ballin2k0 @ 11/22/14 03:43 PM
please add a tournement mode -win ufc title and defend ufc title please the game needs more modes im stuck with quick match or my career the game feels hollow.

# 2 Dgame1985 @ 11/23/14 01:57 PM
I always use Liz, Rockhold, & Stipe. Another person who's good that nobody really uses is Gunnar Nelson & Francis Carmont with stand up.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.