Home
Feature Article
Madden 15: Four Ways To Keep it Fresh

It's difficult beyond impossible to keep playing a game well after that sports season is over. Just the other night, I put Madden 15 in the PS4, excited to play it because it hasn't been touched since the Super Bowl.

After three and a half quarters of a 9-minute game, it was turned off.

The struggle is real. By the time hockey and basketball season are over, it'll be the dog days of summer in sports video game land.

But there's hope for Madden. There are ways to defeat the system and make it enjoyable up until August when you're standing in line at midnight waiting to get Madden 16.

Ultimate Team: Has this happened to you, too? Connected Franchise doesn't seem appealing, nor does playing those who like to abuse the game online. Ultimate Team can be a real pain, especially if it's hardly been touched all year. There are people who dedicate their lives to MUT, having cards that seem impossible to grab. Try beating the 99 overall Michael Vick if you have a defense full of 65-rated cards.

After a few games, and hopefully after a few wins, MUT becomes an avenue that is enjoyable. The ability to create your own team comprised any which way you seem fit looks more fun than it did in the beginning of the year. A word of advice to those who are just starting MUT: Don't jump online right away. Play the solo challenges and build your coins/roster that way. If you dive head first into MUT, you might find yourself playing a team comprised of maxed-out legends and lose by 50 points.

Connected Franchise Fantasy Draft: You've spent the majority of this season playing with the default rosters in the game. Tom Brady on the New England Patriots gets tiring and Aaron Rodgers would probably look better wearing a Cleveland Browns jersey.

One of the best things Madden did was bring back the fantasy draft in Connected Franchise. It's a free-for-all the likes of which can't be explained, unless you actually do it.

In the span of 20 minutes, you can turn the Jacksonville Jaguars into a team that has Peyton Manning, Dez Bryant and Rob Gronkwoski. And after you win a Super Bowl with the Jaguars and move them to London, then that defense you created of J.J. Watt, Richard Sherman and Darrelle Revis will become the best defense EVER.

For an even better time, gather a ton of friends and turn it into a Madden Fantasy Football party. If enough drinks are consumed before the start of this epic fantasy draft, there's a good chance someone like Derek Carr will be selected with the first overall pick.

The Gauntlet: When in need of killing about 30 minutes of your day, there's nothing like putting yourself to the test against absurd boss battles.

The Gauntlet Mode was probably the most underrated addition to Madden when it launched. It's not a mode that gets talked about a lot, because of the modes that are already in the game. But it's a lot of fun, and can be addicting if you think you can get beyond the first couple of boss battles.

What better way to start your day than running through a ridiculous crowd of blockers, tacklers and media while trying to not get tackled?

It's a very enjoyable mode, and hopefully Madden keeps it in the game next year.

Create Commentaries or Start a Blog: The YouTube community continues to grow with more game commentators. I personally enjoy watching other people's work with games and how they go about it.

If you like that idea, then try it out. Record gameplay footage, commentate over it (play-by-play or just talk about the game) and put it on YouTube for the world to see. Plus, you probably get paid for it by consistently doing it and getting more views, so there's a plus.

And let's face it: We all have those moments where we're tired of hearing Jim Nantz and Phil Simms (especially Phil Simms) commentate during a game. Wouldn't it be cool to just do our own play-by-play and make it sound more exciting?

Madden NFL 15 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Hammerhunker @ 02/23/15 12:51 PM
#5- Download Capa's Classic Roster set! He is the Knight of classic football rosters. He has just completed phase I and has begun phase II. I have spent the last 2 weekends and my snow day today playing Madden with his set.

# 2 dynastymgrguy @ 02/23/15 01:17 PM
Good read. So true on all levels. For $50+ dollars, if I don't play MORE than one connected franchise season, I consider my spend a waste. So, I do this to keep things interesting: http://www.truefannetwork.com/gobengals/ (this is not an advertisement!!!!)

# 3 cadalyst17 @ 02/23/15 01:37 PM
I keep it fresh by playing it on the broadcast camera :-)

# 4 SVCbearcat10 @ 02/23/15 03:22 PM
Just buy The Show. After NBA and NHL are over, you're into baseball season. Why not buy what is widely considered the best sim of the sport it's representing?

# 5 bigdooky15 @ 02/23/15 03:23 PM
The CFM Fantasy Draft is usually what I do after the real life season ends, I always do 1-3 different franchises to test them out and pick the one I want to play the most.

# 6 jpollack34 @ 02/23/15 06:29 PM
The only way to keep games alive, relevant and fresh nowadays for an extended period is to support and foster the editing/modding community. Heck I play more Super Tecmo Bowl over Madden because of this - a thriving editing community re TSB.

I know that EA is trying to pigeon hole consumers into gaming their way - by in fact doing the opposite as we see the removal of editing options year on year. Not going to work. They are on the wrong side of history.

# 7 Sub_ZERO2777 @ 02/23/15 06:55 PM
Create and edit the draft class like for the 2016 draft we should be able to edit the players name , another thing I hope they fix is re-work the offseason the cap is off causing teams no pursuing to sign their great players but will sign a 72 overall . and during the draft teams draft by needs for example the seahawks wouldn't draft a QB in the first couple rounds maybe in 6 or 7 but maybe when Wilson is like late 20s .

# 8 jjazwick @ 02/23/15 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadalyst17
I keep it fresh by playing it on the broadcast camera :-)
I could not agree more! Playing on broadcast camera has given Madden a different feel. I have a great sliders set "HuskerFan 214 Broadcast Camera Sliders on the sliders forum.

# 9 Vermin @ 02/23/15 11:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynastymgrguy
Good read. So true on all levels. For $50+ dollars, if I don't play MORE than one connected franchise season, I consider my spend a waste. So, I do this to keep things interesting: http://www.truefannetwork.com/gobengals/ (this is not an advertisement!!!!)
Nice to see you're still doing this after all these years. I just can never find the time any more. I'm trying to get a page running with my old MVP 2005 franchise but even that is stalling before it gets underway.

# 10 cadalyst17 @ 02/24/15 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjazwick
I could not agree more! Playing on broadcast camera has given Madden a different feel. I have a great sliders set "HuskerFan 214 Broadcast Camera Sliders on the sliders forum.
Thanks! I will check out those sliders

# 11 charter04 @ 02/24/15 02:37 PM
The Online CFM I'm in keeps the game fresh for me. We are nearing the end of year 4 and it's still a blast.

I have also become a huge fan of MUT. I used to laugh at playing that mode but, I'm hooked.

# 12 jinntu @ 02/24/15 05:04 PM
It's all about perspective and the way you play. I love managing franchise more than the games themselves (Though I DO love the individual games) I never play in the current season anyway. I'm a franchise mode guy and most of the time by the time the current season is over I'm 5-6 years ahead cause I love building teams and seeing who might become dynasties ect.

# 13 DeuceDouglas @ 02/24/15 07:13 PM
I started playing a 32-team and made it through one season before I just gave up on controlling them all. The UI is just horrible for trying to do it. The only thing that actually works with some ease is the draft but managing the depth chart and injuries takes too long. I keep getting an urge to do it again but it's such a process.

# 14 jjazwick @ 02/24/15 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtkiii
I try it from time to time but how do you know who is open when passing
You will have to set Coach Mode to ON and this will help with the passing game. Some plays you read coverage and make throws and sometimes I let the CPU make the pass. it is about 70(me)/30(CPU) making passes.

# 15 JasonZimmerman @ 02/25/15 08:41 AM
Quote:
I always play in broadcast view, but what's annoying and plain stupid, is that 3/4 of the teams fields are upside down! This has been an issue in the past, then they fixed it, now its back again.

# 16 NoleFan @ 02/25/15 11:23 AM
Two words... COACH MODE

Plus, I just got my PS4/Madden 15 about 3 weeks ago after not having a console at all for 8 months so I'm still in hog heaven. Actually in the preseason of my 3rd year of a JAX CFM.

# 17 Dregs @ 02/26/15 05:25 PM
I'm doing an upcoming NCAA and Madden, respectively, series using the Lions and moving them to Chicago and re-create the Chicago Blues, a spinoff of my created team the Chicago Bandits that I had in the pre-Madden 13

# 18 DJazzyJefff23 @ 02/26/15 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynastymgrguy
Hey man, is that a 32-Man league you're a part of? Very impressed with the website.

# 19 TMalone2010 @ 02/27/15 02:58 PM
Quote:
I tried the broadcast camera I couldn't do it I didn't like throwing it down field blindly

# 20 Armor and Sword @ 02/27/15 03:59 PM
If your on PS4 I woulg highly recommend (to those that appreciate the golden age era of football) to DL John E Kools 1983 roster (for use as one season only in CFM), Iteachpercussions's 1989 set which can be used in a multi year connected franchise , and Cap's glorious Capa's Classic's (which is now in phase 2).

Awesome classic football to be played.

I also agree fantasy draft is another great way to play CFM. Or taking a team you never really play with that is a rebuild or an elite team if you have always played with weak sisters.

The game is still going strong for me and this has not happened since the PS2 days.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.