Home
Feature Article
MLB 15 The Show: Diamond Dynasty Stock Watch (5-18-15)

Players On The Rise

Youth was the big winner this week. Anthony Rizzo received a plus-five overall to go to a 91 overall. Manny Machado received a plus-three overall to go to an 86 overall. Bryce Harper continued his ascent as he's now a 90 overall after getting another plus-three boost. And Gerritt Cole received a plus-four boost to rise to a 90 overall.

Michael Pineda and Marcus Semien both should be pointed out as well. Over the last two weeks those guys have received plus-eight in the overall rating category. Pineda has now become a Gold, and Semien has become a Silver.

For the collection hounds out there, Michael Brantley received a plus-two rating this week, which boosted him to an 89 overall. This means he is no longer needed for the Cleveland Indians collection as Kenny Lofton's rating is an 88. Therefore, you do not need to own any Gold players to finish the Indians collection.

Tier Changes
  • Manny Machado went from Silver to Gold
  • Steve Pearce went from Bronze to Silver
  • Kevin Gausman went from Bronze to Silver
  • Michael Pineda went from Silver to Gold
  • Kevin Pillar went from Common to Bronze
  • Marcus Semien went from Bronze to Silver
  • Colby Lewis went from Bronze to Silver
  • Dallas Keuchel went from Silver to Gold
  • Will Harris went from Bronze to Silver
  • Aaron Harang went from Bronze to Silver
  • Starling Marte went from Silver to Gold

Full List Of Changes

Manny Machado +3 boost in Overall rating (86 Overall)
Steve Pearce +4 (80)
Kevin Gausman +5 (78)
Brock Holt +4 (74)
Andrew Miller +3 (89)
Dellin Betances +1 (87)
Jacoby Ellsbury +1 (86)
Michael Pineda +4 (85)
Josh Donaldson +1 (90)
Kevin Pillar +3 (70)
Chris Colabello N/A (65)
David Robertson +2 (88)
Corey Kluber +1 (90)
Michael Brantley +2 (89)
Joakim Soria +3 (83)
Wade Davis +3 (89)
Chris Young +5 (77)
Eduardo Escobar N/A (68)
Sonny Gray +1 (87)
Marcus Semien +4 (78)
Colby Lewis +2 (78)
Dallas Keuchel +2 (86)
Will Harris +3 (78)
A.J. Ramos +2 (83)
Ichiro Suzuki +1 (79)
Bryce Harper +3 (90)
Aaron Harang +3 (78)
Anthony Rizzo +5 (91)
Kris Bryant +2 (83)
Gerritt Cole +4 (90)
Starling Marte +2 (86)
Kolten Wong +3 (83)
Michael Wacha +1 (83)
Justin Turner +4 (77)
Wil Myers +2 (82)

Players On The Decline

The NL East took the brunt of the damage this week. Gio Gonzalez, Jayson Werth and Chase Utley all were downgraded from Gold to Silver. The biggest loser overall this week was Steve Cishek whose overall dropped minus-six on the week. The Blue Jays rotation also took a shot as R.A. Dickey and Mark Buehrle both were dinged in ratings. 

The collection hounds got a gift with Michael Brantley going up enough to not be needed anymore for the Cleveland Indians collection, but Yadier Molina going down minus-four this week means he's now needed for the St. Louis Cardinals collection. 

Tier Changes
  • Steve Cishek went from Silver to Bronze
  • Jayson Werth went from Gold to Silver
  • Gio Gonzalez went from Gold to Silver
  • Chase Utley went from Gold to Silver
  • Homer Bailey went from Gold to Silver
Full List Of Changes

Hanley Ramirez -1 (90)
Jake McGee -3 (85)
R.A. Dickey -3 (81)
Mark Buehrle -2 (81)
Anibal Sanchez -1 (85)
Danny Farquhar -3 (78)
Elvis Andrus -1 (83)
Julio Teheran -2 (82)
Steve Cishek -6 (74)
Stephen Strasburg -2 (88)
Jayson Werth -4 (83)
Ian Desmond -1 (86)
Gio Gonzalez -1 (84)
Chase Utley -4 (81)
Homer Bailey -3 (83)
Yadier Molina -4 (86)
Carlos Martinez -2 (79)
Addison Reed -5 (72)
Matt Kemp -1 (85)

Market Changes

(Note: Everything in this section is based on rough estimates and approximations. The data is taken from last Wednesday and then put against changes on Monday morning after the roster update. The values are then rounded to account for general fluctuations that are common on the market. In other words, this will not be exact.)

No need to worry about the disclaimer above this week. The developers released a Developer's Choice pack over the weekend, which turned the market upside down. More or less most of the players found in those Developer's Choice packs all sunk like a rock in cost on the marketplace. In other words, it was a good time to buy low, and probably will stay that way for much of this week.

However, with the market going so crazy in terms of cost of players being so out of whack, I'll bypass doing a Stock Watch section for the week.

Players To Watch

Could Rise

-Jason Kipnis received a small boost a couple weeks back, but I would think he will go Gold in the near future.

-Todd Frazier has been stuck as an 84 overall for weeks, he also seems about due to go Gold.

-Ryan Braun lost his Gold status weeks back, he seems like he could return to Gold by next week.

-Brian Dozier is another player who sits right on the cusp of going Gold.

-Shelby Miller seems an obvious candidate to rise to Gold some point soon.

-A.J. Burnett is retiring after the season so not sure how much ratings growth he has, but he's been one of the best pitchers in the NL.

-Garrett Richards has come back and looked great, I would expect him to go Gold soon.

Could Fall

-Yordano Ventura has really struggled. He had a lot of hype coming into the season, but he might be downgraded soon. 

-Matt Garza has also had a rough go of things, and he might potentially lose his Silver status in time.

-Chris Tillman is maybe the most likely to be dinged in ratings in the near future as his starts are being skipped right now.

-Coco Crisp has not been playing well since being activated. As a veteran, he's more likely to be dinged as well.

-Xander Bogaerts could be facing a downgrade if he doesn't pick it up.

-Mike Napoli is still showing power, but he's still scuffling overall.

MLB 15 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 kac @ 05/18/15 03:55 PM
I know it must be hard to rate players but some of these changes make no sense there is no way that Michael Brantley should be rated higher than Kenny lofton he is a good player I just don't see him as a better player than lofton was.

# 2 kac @ 05/18/15 03:57 PM
And look how Barolo colon has been pitching and he didn't get a boost.

# 3 Benz87 @ 05/18/15 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kac
And look how Barolo colon has been pitching and he didn't get a boost.
Brewers lit him up for 6 on Friday putting his ERA at 3.86 - nothing special.

# 4 jm2054 @ 05/18/15 04:26 PM
I feel the legends should get monthly changes to reflect the way real players are doing doesn't make sense some of these guys be better then the legends

# 5 kac @ 05/18/15 04:26 PM
Didn't know that still just one bad start he's 6-2 3.86 era 51.1 ip 42k. Compared to garitt cole 5-2 2.40 era 48.2 ip 53k stats are similar he's only one bad outing away from having the same era as colon and I believe colon is only rated a 82

# 6 kac @ 05/18/15 04:45 PM
Just look how overrated some of the redsox players are Mike naploi is rated a 76 and he's having a horrible season that's not including the crap season he has last year there are guys who have better numbers and had a better season last year rated lower than him

# 7 jm2054 @ 05/18/15 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kac
Didn't know that still just one bad start he's 6-2 3.86 era 51.1 ip 42k. Compared to garitt cole 5-2 2.40 era 48.2 ip 53k stats are similar he's only one bad outing away from having the same era as colon and I believe colon is only rated a 82
Ya but Cole is way better then Colon and you know that.
Also Cole would be 7-0 easy but gets zero run support most games

# 8 kac @ 05/18/15 05:03 PM
Yea I know he's better I'm not saying he should be rated the exact same I just wonder how they come to the decision to rate players a certain way .

# 9 Knickfan2526 @ 05/18/15 05:08 PM
How Lucas Duda is still a bronze blows my mind. 30 home runs last year and a good start this year and he's still rated lower than some guys who absolutely don't deserve it

# 10 jm2054 @ 05/18/15 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kac
Yea I know he's better I'm not saying he should be rated the exact same I just wonder how they come to the decision to rate players a certain way .
I agree with that I feel they kinda just focus in groups of guys each week and ignore most players.

# 11 ronc524 @ 05/18/15 06:42 PM
Yeah some players are outperforming other high ranked players without getting boosts, it makes you wonder.

# 12 RedJeff @ 05/18/15 08:59 PM
They nerfed Starlin Marte's speed and baserunnung. I don't see a drastic change in any of his stats. The only thing that was really noticeable is his speed and base running/stealing. And still managed to make him a gold. Doesn't make sense.

# 13 jm2054 @ 05/18/15 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDanzaFan
I'm wondering the same thing. What exactly did they upgrade?
Power vs lefties and contact

# 14 gator3guy @ 05/18/15 09:36 PM
What does Freddy Galvis have to do to get a bump? Hit 4-****ing-hundred?

# 15 ChaseB @ 05/19/15 01:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kac
I know it must be hard to rate players but some of these changes make no sense there is no way that Michael Brantley should be rated higher than Kenny lofton he is a good player I just don't see him as a better player than lofton was.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kac
I think a big thing here is youth vs. experience. On some level, you don't know what Cole is, and sure the stuff and everything is better as well which helps. With Colon, maybe his stats are somewhat close, but at the same time, you know what Colon is at this point, you know? He's a really good control pitcher who keeps getting results, but I don't know how much you can push him up or down. Now I know you're saying how is he (I guess 7 points lower than Cole at this point?) but people are still not really sure what Cole is, and his peripheral stats (beyond just W-L and ERA) are super good right now -- including a 2.40 FIP to Colon's 3.60. So I think when you look and see that Cole has his best numbers of his career and was always expected to be really good, he gets a certain cache and boost that Colon probably just doesn't get because he's been around for years and years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kac
Just look how overrated some of the redsox players are Mike naploi is rated a 76 and he's having a horrible season that's not including the crap season he has last year there are guys who have better numbers and had a better season last year rated lower than him
I think with video game ratings in general, you just don't usually see as aggressive pushes down as you do up, which I think is a valid complaint. On some level, you do want more than just the last month or year to matter with overall ratings, but with week to week roster updates it does cloud matters a bit more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knickfan2526
How Lucas Duda is still a bronze blows my mind. 30 home runs last year and a good start this year and he's still rated lower than some guys who absolutely don't deserve it
Fair. I'm also shocked Steve Pearce got an update -- just to call one guy out -- as he's really scuffled this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronc524
Yeah some players are outperforming other high ranked players without getting boosts, it makes you wonder.
Sort of like I said above, I guess it's a matter of how much do you weigh "what have you done for me lately" vs. "what have you done over your career" elements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDanzaFan
I'm wondering the same thing. What exactly did they upgrade?
Would you guys like me to highlight more of the changes to players in these articles on Monday? I can't guarantee I'll grab everybody, but I generally have a good idea of who could go up or down week to week so I can be more diligent about getting before and after grabs to have to look through when I write this up.

# 16 berenjena @ 05/19/15 01:23 AM
Such a ****** for selling Dallas Keuchel

# 17 pittsburgher86 @ 05/19/15 01:46 AM
Quote:
-A.J. Burnett is retiring after the season so not sure how much ratings growth he has, but he's been one of the best pitchers in the NL.
Actually, rumors are beginning to circulate that if he continues to pitch well this year, he may return for another season.

# 18 ChaseB @ 05/19/15 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsburgher86
Actually, rumors are beginning to circulate that if he continues to pitch well this year, he may return for another season.
Yeah? As a Pirates fan I would be down with that.

# 19 Beat LA @ 05/21/15 06:46 PM
I know this is probably bias, because I watch him every day, but I think Brandon Crawford should at least be a high silver card with the way he's been hitting. His defense is still top notch, but he's leading all shortstops in RBI and OPS.

# 20 ChaseB @ 05/22/15 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat LA
I know this is probably bias, because I watch him every day, but I think Brandon Crawford should at least be a high silver card with the way he's been hitting. His defense is still top notch, but he's leading all shortstops in RBI and OPS.
Yeah he shredded the last month for sure. He should at least be a Silver.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.