Home
Feature Article
MLB 15 The Show: How To Stop Striking Out

One of the biggest problems I hear about MLB 15 The Show is the unfortunate consistency of striking out. This is an issue that has plagued me at times, as well. However, I have learned a few ways to reduce your strikeout rate that could benefit you, too.

First and foremost, always use the guess pitch feature and pick low in the zone. I feel like most people have trouble with the low curves and changeups. At least this way, if you pick the right zone and pitch, you will be tipped off where the pitch will be. Then you just have to pay attention to the pitch's final location in the pre-determined zone. Note, if it’s coming in too low let it go by.

Never be afraid to jump on the first pitch. A lot of pitchers will throw something in the zone on the first pitch. No point in taking a strike down the middle. It could be the best pitch you see during the entire at bat.

Also, keep in mind the AI will make you chase when you're down in the count. Watch for hard breaks going into the dirt and way outside. Despite the frustration this can cause, it's something SCEA should be proud of: AI that knows how to react to a specific situation.

Try to remain calm when you are down in the count. Don't get too anxious and know there is a very high chance the next pitch will be out of the zone. Get yourself back in the count. Hitting in this game becomes exponentially easier when you are ahead in the count. The pitchers will be forced to come right at you will usually fastball in the zone that you can crush. You also have to be able to master the check swing. Check swings are especially important on low or low and away pitches.

These are just a few tips on how to stop striking out in The Show. What strategy do you use to keep the ball in play?

MLB 15 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 bxphenom7 @ 06/09/15 10:42 AM
I haven't used the guess pitch this year just see to get better at picking up the breaks, and it works well. The best thing to do on 2 strikes is see the pitch out, and if it's a fastball you'll just foul it off or take it the other way. That's always my mindset on 0-2, not to mention using contact swing at that point. Now if I could only find a way to consistently get good timing on changeups lol

# 2 tbook24 @ 06/09/15 01:42 PM
go to a contact swing with 2 strikes to get more plate coverage

# 3 Armor and Sword @ 06/09/15 03:04 PM
Learn from your previous AB's. Use the pitch history early and often. It is an on the fly scouting report for you.

Be patient as other have mentioned. It cannot be stressed enough. It also allows you to see a pattern being established.

Go with the pitch. Especially on 2 strike counts as mentioned above. And for the most part use the contact swing on 0-2 and 1-2 counts, to fight pitches off and work the count back into your favor.

Experiment with different cameras. Finding your perfect batting view is crucial to long term success (I use Catcher zoom 3 and swear by it).

Don't be afraid to take the first pitch a lot. Especially online. Most of the time when I play DD most first pitches are out of the zone. I do this for several innings and then the next thing you know I am getting fastballs down the pipe on 0-0 to mash.

I don't use guess pitch. I feel it actually makes you a weaker hitter over the long haul.

Also...you will go through major hot streaks as well as major cold streaks. When your going cold (I was two weeks ago...in a bad way) step away from the game for 48 hours. It will do wonders. Trust me.

# 4 COMMISSIONERHBK9 @ 06/09/15 11:27 PM
Do u guess location and pitch or just location ?

# 5 UNDERTAKER1215 @ 06/10/15 11:41 AM
If it's low let it go, if it's high let it fly.

# 6 Kas905 @ 06/10/15 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor and Sword
Learn from your previous AB's. Use the pitch history early and often. It is an on the fly scouting report for you.

Be patient as other have mentioned. It cannot be stressed enough. It also allows you to see a pattern being established.

Go with the pitch. Especially on 2 strike counts as mentioned above. And for the most part use the contact swing on 0-2 and 1-2 counts, to fight pitches off and work the count back into your favor.

Experiment with different cameras. Finding your perfect batting view is crucial to long term success (I use Catcher zoom 3 and swear by it).

Don't be afraid to take the first pitch a lot. Especially online. Most of the time when I play DD most first pitches are out of the zone. I do this for several innings and then the next thing you know I am getting fastballs down the pipe on 0-0 to mash.

I don't use guess pitch. I feel it actually makes you a weaker hitter over the long haul.

Also...you will go through major hot streaks as well as major cold streaks. When your going cold (I was two weeks ago...in a bad way) step away from the game for 48 hours. It will do wonders. Trust me.
Yes and yes. Break from the game really is (at least for me) best cure for hitting slumps. When I go back for few days, I'm batting so much better, dont know why that is.

# 7 Armor and Sword @ 06/10/15 02:56 PM
It really is true. I am on a 10 game winning streak between a couple of my current franchises and seeing the ball so much better.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.