Home
Feature Article
NBA Live 16 LIVE Run and Summer Circuit Interview with Sean O'Brien

We had an opportunity to interview NBA Live 16 Executive Producer Sean O'Brien and ask him some questions about the new NBA Live 16 modes. More specifically, the two new online modes in LIVE Pro-Am: LIVE Run and Summer Circuit. We also covered a few other things you will be interested in. Read it over and let us know your thoughts!

What makes LIVE Run and Summer Circuit unique? Can you give us more details on each mode?

Sean – Think of it this way. LIVE Run is very similar to the mode you had in NBA LIVE 10, but now you’re using created players. Summer Circuit is a PvE co-op experience at various venues across North America with multiple levels per venue. 

How easy will it be to find/create a game in either mode? Is there any sort of matchmaking?

Sean - We are attempting to create a place where matchmaking as a player is both easy to do, as well as intelligent from the standpoint of matching up players of similar levels so that online play can be fun and challenging on a level playing field.

Can you have AI teammates or do you need to have all of your friends ready to play? Can you just play with random users?

Sean – All of the above. You can choose to run on your own, with friends and/or with random users depending on the session you choose to play in. We tried to make it so that there’s something for everybody.

Are there any height/weight restrictions per position?

Sean – YES!

Will we see teams stacked with 7 footers or will there be some restrictions there as well?

Sean – NOPE! There are height/weight and skill caps based on the size and position of your created player. No 7-foot athletic wing players draining 3’s in NBA LIVE!

What sorts of rules are in place? Can players foul out? If so, what happens?

Sean – We created a pick up basketball environment where games are to 21 (think LIVE Run from NBA LIVE 10), limited fouls and stoppages in play in an attempt to create play sessions that range from 9-12 mins in length.

Can you challenge other teams in any way? Setup private matches, etc.?

Sean – Summer Circuit is a structured environment with specific challenges and opposing teams; on the other side, LIVE Run allows you to hook up with friends in a private lobby or find some like-minded players with similar abilities to run.

How many total real life venues will be playable in LIVE Pro-Am and will there be additional venues added throughout the year via DLC?

Sean – There are seven venues that will be available at launch with a plan to create more venues and places to play moving forward.

Can the venues be used in other modes, practice or exhibition games?

Sean – LIVE Pro-Am venues are only available to be played on within Summer Circuit and LIVE Run games.

What brands of clothing, shoes and accessories are available?

Sean – We partnered with brands like Jordan, adidas, NIKE, Converse, and more to provide clothing, footwear and accessories that can be earned and unlocked in the LIVE Spot. There are also some exclusive tattoos created by Randy Harris available which will provide players with access to ink that only NBA superstars have.

Are you limited to certain apparel until you reach higher ratings for your player or is everything unlocked from the start/available for purchase?

Sean – You earn specific reward points (RP) that allows you to purchase apparel in the LIVE Spot, and there is also certain exclusive apparel and footwear that is only available if you progress your character to a certain level based on player archetype. 

If you start your character in Pro-Am, do his attributes carry over into Rising Star? For example: If you work your way up to an 80 rating in Pro-Am, will you start as an 80 in Rising Star?

Sean – Yes. Your OVR rating carries over from mode to mode.

What are some of the options that can be edited in Pro-Am?

Sean – Most importantly, GameFaceHD. Seriously. Download the app on Sept 8 and try it out with the free demo. Assuming normal usage, you’re 5 mins away from scan to playing with your created player that looks just like you in-game. Then you can edit hair, facial hair, accessories, shoes, clothing as well as how you play with various unlockable animation packages and skill points.

How do you earn points to level up your player? Do offensive categories earn offensive points, with steals/blocks/etc. earning defensive attribute points?

Sean – All of the above. We attempted to create an environment where your play style matters, how you play both on offense and defense matters as well as a teammate grade that is impacted with how you play with others.

Can you design and/or upload your own tattoos or do we simply choose from a list made by world-renowned tattooist, Randy Harris?

Sean – The latter. Based on the amount of RP you’ve earned, you’ll be able to choose to unlock exclusive tattoos created by Randy Harris. We think there’s something special about earning the opportunity to get a tattoo by Randy, as that’s a privilege that’s really reserved for NBA superstars in real life.

What about gear, can any of that be edited and/or uploaded via user creation?

Sean – No user-creatable assets right now. Definitely something we’re interested in evolving moving forward.

Can you use NBA players in either mode?

Sean – You can’t play as an NBA player in either mode, but you compete against NBA players in some of the tournament levels in all locations within Summer Circuit.

For those without access to a smartphone, will there be the traditional Create-A-Player suite in the game where users can try to re-create their likeness?

Sean – Yes. There are dozens of traditional create-a-player heads available to choose from if you don’t have a smartphone or access to one, as well as multiple hair styles, facial hair options, etc. 

Is there a leaderboard system in place for either mode?

Sean - LIVE Run Leaderboards are tracked on a weekly basis and rank users by Pro-Am score, which is calculated using a combination of your stats and teammate grade. We do it that way so that just putting up numbers and being a ball hog doesn't automatically bump you up in the rankings, you need to also play smart and be a good teammate. You can also sort the leaderboard by wins and losses but since the rankings are individual we use Pro-Am score to set your spot on the board.

How many created players can you make for use in Live Pro-Am?

Sean – Right now we’re giving you the ability to create one created player to be used in LIVE Pro-Am.

Are there animation packages such as crossovers, signature jump shots, celebrations, etc. that help differentiate your player from others on the court?

Sean – Yessir! We’ve got a full suite of animation packages that will help you express yourself out on the court.

Which 6 teams will be available in Tip Off mode on September 15 and will we be able to adjust sliders?

Sean – Sliders are finally back in NBA LIVE. (hold your applause). The six teams (as of right now) that will be available to play in Tip Off in the free demo available on Sept 15 are Cleveland, Chicago, Washington, Golden State, LA Clippers and OKC.

With Skill Points and Reward Points available to improve your player, can you purchase upgrades with real-life currency? Can you earn SP/RP in other game modes? If so, which ones?

Sean – Rising Star is the only other game mode other than LIVE Pro-Am where you can earn SP/RP and this is a game where you have to earn your XP.  No $$ to buy your created players. We call it sweat equity. You’ve got to spend the time in the game playing and progressing in order to level up, which we feel makes for a level playing field for all players.

We’d like to thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule for this interview, is there anything else you’d like to add?

Sean – My pleasure Steve. I can’t tell you how excited I am for people to play NBA LIVE 16 for free starting Sept 15. Happy to spend some more time with you answering questions when the demo drops and players have had a chance to spend some time playing.  

NBA Live 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Hassan Darkside @ 08/13/15 09:44 AM
Sounds like they took a lot of the criticism directed at 2k's MyPark mode and applied it to their Pro-Am mode. Not a bad philosophy.

# 2 stillfeelme @ 08/13/15 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassan Darkside
Sounds like they took a lot of the criticism directed at 2k's MyPark mode and applied it to their Pro-Am mode. Not a bad philosophy.
Yep this question cleared up some clear points.

Quote:
Will we see teams stacked with 7 footers or will there be some restrictions there as well?

Sean – NOPE!!!! There are height/weight and skill caps based on the size and position of your created player. No 7-foot athletic wing players draining 3’s in NBA LIVE!!

# 3 Teddy_Long @ 08/13/15 09:50 AM
6 teams available in the demo?

# 4 hesko @ 08/13/15 09:51 AM
seems to be a pattern with this from my prospective, but hey they did it! much props to ea if the comp won't listen.

# 5 The 24th Letter @ 08/13/15 09:54 AM
Shots fired

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 6 Dr. Banner @ 08/13/15 09:55 AM
Sounds good.

# 7 KennyJ1976 @ 08/13/15 09:55 AM
Is competition back? Sounds like it, but we'll see in September.

# 8 nova91 @ 08/13/15 09:55 AM
Quote:
Can you use NBA players in either mode?

Sean – you can’t play as an NBA player in either mode but you compete against NBA players in some of the tournament levels in all locations within Summer Circuit.
Concerns answered.

Now all I need to know is how long that demo will be available because I will definitely try it out when I get time away from school.

# 9 mrprice33 @ 08/13/15 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nova91
Concerns answered.

Now all I need to know is how long that demo will be available because I will definitely try it out when I get time away from school.
From the 15th on, I believe.

# 10 nova91 @ 08/13/15 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
From the 15th on, I believe.
The LiveRun and SummerCircuit demos right? Also, on as in until release or on as in indefinitely?

# 11 m1ke_nyc @ 08/13/15 10:09 AM
These guys most definitely listened to what the community hated about these modes in the other game and made sure those issues didn't exist in their game. Great interview. Trailer looked awesome. Still wanna play first but looks like Live is back.

# 12 TDYRX @ 08/13/15 10:10 AM
Glad you have to play to gain XP. Pay to win is what kills modes like these in other games.

# 13 mrprice33 @ 08/13/15 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nova91
The LiveRun and SummerCircuit demos right? Also, on as in until release or on as in indefinitely?
It's Live Run, Summer Circuit, and 6 teams in tip off. I'm not sure if it'll be available indefinitely, but I don't see why they'd pull it.

# 14 HypoLuxa13 @ 08/13/15 10:18 AM
All of these features sound great, but just lip service until we get our hands on the demo and see how this year's game plays. Tons of content in a game that still plays and feels like junk is self defeating.

# 15 Gilley @ 08/13/15 10:19 AM
I love it. It looks like we have competition!

# 16 KareemEasy @ 08/13/15 10:20 AM
Props to EA for that, they leave micro transaction for mode like Ultimate Team.
The VC in 2K is a mess

# 17 fatboirob @ 08/13/15 10:21 AM
Competition, competition, competition!!! Can't wait to boot up that Demo on the 15th...... Hopefully Live is back!!

Sent from my HTC0P3P7 using Tapatalk

# 18 clipperfan811 @ 08/13/15 10:38 AM
It sounds good and the trailer looked really nice. It had a totally different vibe than 2k which is great. Hopefully both games continue to push each other to get that much better. Football is seeing that now too with FIFA and PES and the fans are the ones really benefiting.

# 19 lakers24 @ 08/13/15 10:47 AM
I hope this is good, I really do because we need a change of pace. As a sports gamer I'm tired of 2 things: 1, not having the options I used to have just a decade ago and 2. the games I do have left being ruined by micro-transactions and being damn near broken and unstable for periods of time.

# 20 huntt26 @ 08/13/15 11:01 AM
Sounds pretty cool. Hopefully the gameplay follows suit.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.