Home
Feature Article
FIFA 16 Demo Impressions

Kevin Groves: The first thing that comes to mind when playing FIFA 16 is how it seems like a much more polished version of FIFA 14. While FIFA 15 struggled to achieve a proper balance, especially in defending, FIFA 16 has restored my faith in the ability to defend as a unit. While tactical defending could use a "teammate pressure" button, your CPU teammates for the most part do a great job at cutting off angles, blocking passes/shots, and in general being a nuisance. If the CPU does manage to break through your ranks, your goalkeeper is much better equipped to come up with a huge save as EA Canada has added many new keeper animations. Keepers in general also do a much better job stopping shots at their near post (a major flaw in FIFA 15).

Defense wasn't the only aspect that saw an upgrade. Attacking AI has also been improved as AI players make intelligent runs, show in space, and provide an outlet when the opposing team starts closing down. On the ball, "No touch dribbling" is a feature that will take a little time to master, but in tinkering with it in the demo it feels like it will bring another dynamic to 1-vs-1 challenges. The new "ping driven passes" is a feature that has divided the community opinion so far. With its ability to move the action further up the pitch much faster, bypassing the importance of build-up play, this new feature could easily be abused online. Thankfully, it appears that EA has attempted to balance this with heavier first touches by the recipient, but the final verdict is still out and won't be determined until the masses head online after the game's release. Crosses during open play are also much more dynamic as you can whip them in with real pace and bend. Strangely enough, getting this type of bend is hard to duplicate on corner kicks and set pieces.

Under the hood, all of the same sliders I have to come to love/loathe appear to be in the game with a few added Team/Player Instructions also at our disposal. No doubt the OS Slider/Custom Team Tactic fanatics will start their tinkering early this year with the hopes of giving us a great offline sim come September 22.

Lastly, I have had nothing but positive and enjoyable moments when playing with the Women's teams. The action, flow and overall feel of the women just seems spot on. Much like real life, the star players stand out and the animations seem to correspond well to what we saw on TV earlier this summer. Hopefully EA will continue to expand upon the teams and modes included in the game. A tournament mode would be a welcome inclusion!

The demo is not without its flaws, but so far the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Chase Becotte: Feel is always a tough thing to talk about with a game, but I played FIFA 15 right before playing the FIFA 16 demo just to go right from the old to new, and the "feel" is really whats stands out. And the change in feel exists on a couple levels.

First, players have more weight. The bigger players are a little less mobile but more physical. The little guys can pull off some quick turning more easily -- I still think that overall quick turning on the ball is still a little too easy -- but feel weaker on the ball. And overall, the physicality feels more controlled yet weighted. Players are not flopping around in ridiculous ways when they collide with others, and there's more fighting for loose balls without feeling like it's a no-holds barred, no-calls needed affair out on the pitch.

The feel continues on with the overall way players move away from the ball. It seems like there are acceleration animations in the game now, so players hustling after boomed through balls really look like they're hustling to run them down.

Beyond the players themselves, the ball really feels like it's finally an object in this world. FIFA in the past has actually made great strides in making the ball feel like it's independent from any one player, but now the ball feels and acts more like it has weight; it acts like it has actual physical properties. This may have something to do with changes to shooting and heading the ball as well, but just the way the ball is reacting off heads and feet is so much different (in a good way) than in the past. For example, I had a beautiful cross at one point that my striker got to and headed into the ground. The ball connected with his head and bounced hard off the ground and then back up into the air before beating the keeper -- something I don't really remember ever seeing in FIFA 15.

Moving beyond the feel of the game, KG mentioned "tactical defending" and is spot on with the mention of a lack of "teammate pressure" button, which I will upgrade to "teammate take the friggin' ball so I don't have to control every player on defense" button. Switching to "legacy" defending helps this, and I assume "tactical" defending acts this way so it's not abused online as people swarm every player with the ball, but it seems like maybe it's time to go back to the drawing board and define a new user-controlled way to defend the pitch. That being said, defending has certainly been upgraded. Fullbacks and outside midfielders/wings still don't pinch in enough -- and the center defensive midfielder still comes too far up the pitch even when you change his tactic to "stay back on attack" in the menu -- but the back line holds together and works together. It also feels much better linking up the defense to the midfield as they seem more in sync with each other when moving back up the pitch.

Speaking of moving up the pitch, passing percentages still seem high when moving up the pitch. When you play the AI on higher difficulty levels, all the teams still seem to hover around 90 percent passing (whether it's the Sounders or Barcelona), but user vs. user games should be more in the muck as lanes are covered better, and I feel like I have more weapons at my disposal to stop attacking runs. The last point on passing is I'm slightly concerned about driven passes. I love the creativity they bring to the game now, but I feel like players of all types are a little too good at corralling these lasers. I don't have a problem with the longer-distance passes being handled, but the handling of driven "ping-pong" passes when players are closer together seems a bit out of whack.

I also echo what KG said about playing with the Women's teams; it's a blast. Whether it's a placebo effect or something else I'm not sure, but the USA vs. Germany games I've played have been my favorite in the demo. The game feels a little more open, and just does a good job of mimicking both the style of play and individual stars on these Women's teams. I try not to gush much in previews because the play sessions are limited, but it really has been a joy playing with the Women's teams.

All that being said, a big thing with FIFA this year and beyond is how do individual teams feel? It's fair to say FIFA has made progress making star players stand out as authentic individuals, but the same can't be said about individual teams. While we can only play eight-minute games in the demo, I have doubts that teams will feel really different from one another. Obviously there will be team tactics and such to tweak the way each team plays, but I feel like this is the next great gameplay undertaking the FIFA developers have to look into solving in the future.

FIFA 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Matt10 @ 09/12/15 01:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX117
The lackluster shooting is a deal breaker for me honestly. I can deal with everything else but the shooting needs to be different in the final game for me to get it.
Lackluster, how?

# 22 stevostl @ 09/12/15 01:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedache
That's something I noticed immediately. And I also noticed how much I've been using it in FIFA15 because I keep trying to do it. Obviously L1 is now off the ball controls. And I haven't really found any trigger combinations to step on the ball and make a quick turn yet.

In other news, I do agree that we may see the classic change in release version. This wouldn't be the first time to have an impressive demo and then a patch would alter the release version to make it more arcade. And yes, you can modify sliders to tune it but not for online games, which is something I like a lot.

But I really like the new physics, and I agree about the Womens game being fun. I think more than 90% of my games have been USA vs GER. And I have yet to win in regulation.

let go of the Left stick and tap L1 slightly.. it will do it

it's there.. I just did it

# 23 kaptainkev562 @ 09/12/15 02:16 AM
Gameplay is great but why is protect the ball not working ? Anyone else experiencing having trouble protecting the ball with L2 ?

# 24 TX117 @ 09/12/15 03:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
Lackluster, how?
It just feels very soft and 'empty' (for lack of better word). Close range shots.. i was just trying to bang them in but they'll always do this slower finesse like shot and i just don't like it.

# 25 dcar87 @ 09/12/15 06:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabs485
The slow down actually hurts the game because now it's even harder for players to differentiate themselves.

Every player feels the same and every team plays the same. CPU rarely uses skills moves or uses creative ways to attack.

I can't seem to understand no touch dribbling and the fact that they mo capped Messi and he moves nothing like himself is embarrassing. In PES Neymar moves and shoots like he does in RL.

With that being said, I think the greatest addition to the game was improved defense. Interceptions are great, passing is rewarding as you can not longer just pass it forwArd

I've seen AI playing the ball back which is good but for some weird reason they refuse to pass it back to the keeper. In many instances I had the CBs surrounded but they either clear the ball away or lost possession rather than passing to the keep. It's not a big problem but it's annoying that you know they'll never pass it to the keeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They actually do pass it to the keeper this year. Happens to me almost every game. I had one in which they passed back 3 straight times when pressuring the defenders.

On another side, this game must be played with broadcast cam, a totally different experience that takes advantage of it's superb graphics and animations.

Enviado desde mi iPad utilizando Tapatalk

# 26 ezio @ 09/12/15 06:49 AM
Quote:
It just feels very soft and 'empty' (for lack of better word). Close range shots.. i was just trying to bang them in but they'll always do this slower finesse like shot and i just don't like it.
I agree with this. I noticed it right away. However, sometimes I can get off good shots. It is weird.

# 27 TheAwesomeGem @ 09/12/15 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezio
I agree with this. I noticed it right away. However, sometimes I can get off good shots. It is weird.
Same here.

# 28 Matt10 @ 09/12/15 08:10 AM
Are you guys using assisted shooting, or manual? I think FIFA's shooting is one of the best around (especially with shot power at 48, shot error at 55 and GK at 40).

See my previous streams with those settings:

# 29 TeleTex82 @ 09/12/15 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
Are you guys using assisted shooting, or manual? I think FIFA's shooting is one of the best around (especially with shot power at 48, shot error at 55 and GK at 40).

See my previous streams with those settings:

Looked pretty good Matt. Much better than 15. Still a little too much ping pong by the cpu, and it still becomes impossible to disposses when it decides you're not getting the ball, no matter how well you time your challenge.

# 30 kadzier @ 09/12/15 09:41 AM
Two HUGE improvements over last game I can see already:

1- crossing has finally been balanced more. In 15 it was nerfed to be all but useless; unless you got the perfect situation the defender had the advantage every time. This time around I actually feel like I can get goals or at least decent hits on the ball.

2- second chance efforts off rebounds has also been improved. In 15 it seemed like rebound goals or even second chance efforts were impossible, as the CPU always seemed to be in the right position for a clearance. Now it feels way more balanced

# 31 stlducks @ 09/12/15 11:16 AM
I have played a handful of matches and while 16 does seem better than 15, after playing PES FIFA does not feel right. The player models, ball movement and pace of PES, IMO, make FIFA feel to arcady and unenjoyable now.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

# 32 stevostl @ 09/12/15 12:20 PM
Hey matt I tried your settings last night that I saw you post at pro evo and it played good.. the only thing is I had a hard time getting pass defenders I noticed.. . but specifically I liked playing on Semi shooting and passing in using your controls

I thought it was good.. I think FIFA plays pretty good enough in the demo even on default speed and professional and assisted controls..

I really don't see any problems with shooting in FIFA except the auto finesse shot sometimes.. but other than that i think it's fine compared to PES basic shooting which needs to be patched imo.. In PES you are forced to play with manual shooting which is great imo or else your going to score goals like crazy this year until it's patched. I don't see any glaring issues with the shooting in FIFA to be honest except for the auto finesse shot but I don't think that is that big of an issue hurting the gameplay.

today after I get done watching the United vs Liverpool match I will try your settings again.

# 33 SpritePuck @ 09/12/15 12:39 PM
The shooting to me seems fine. But I rarely get really close shots to riffle home unless on a first touch which always seem work. Finesse shooting occurs after a touch or two. So, somehow the way I play I just hardly never see it happen.

I have found the player does affect this. For example in the women's game Morgan will rocket the ball home (especially if play it to her left foot) while Holiday tends to soft touch or finesse the ball. Which in this case is pretty accurate to how they score. Of course situation can change this an odd height volley by Morgan may be just a fairly soft redirect into the net. IDK it just seems fine but admittedly better in the women's teams.

I will say this is a typical gaming thing. If used to FIFA shooting one will see less issue. If used to PES then yep it is different. The auto finesse, never has cost me a goal and in my opinion only happens in appropriate situations. But fairly I just do not see it that often. We should have an option to blast the ball low and hard. It happens for me sometimes but I do not consistantly do it or know what exactly keeps it low..

L1 does what it did in 15 but there is a catch
To trap or stop the ball and face the goal one still uses L1 on PS4. The catch is you can not be using the left or right stick as these activate dribble feints.

# 34 SpritePuck @ 09/12/15 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlducks
I have played a handful of matches and while 16 does seem better than 15, after playing PES FIFA does not feel right. The player models, ball movement and pace of PES, IMO, make FIFA feel to arcady and unenjoyable now.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
Strangely this happens to me but oddly it also in some elements is the opposite. The pace of PES I like. The shooting animations run me nuts and seem off. The players also look too stocky or something. IDK it is odd but when I jump back and forth a lot, I kinda stop liking either one. Sometimes PES player positioning seems awesome other times it seems FIFA is better. Camera wise FIFA is for me better. Tactics wise PES gives me better results for the way I play. But the issue in that is it gets predictable and I can do the same build up over and over like robotic. Both are awesome this year but fairly both have some misses. I would not say FIFA feels more arcade like. My brother says it does though and I have a theory that individual play style changes which or if either feel more arcade. On low difficulties they both seem arcade.

Passing in one in my opinion is far superior to the other and that in the end will be what makes me play it more.

# 35 mfp @ 09/12/15 08:26 PM
Quote:
I agree, shooting does feel a bit off. That's not to say that sometimes it's not awesome, because for the most part I think it's great, but sometimes it doesn't feel quite right.

But I wouldn't worry too much - quite a few people who've played the final code have specifically singled out shooting as one of the things improved in the retail code.

# 36 Scarface-93 @ 09/12/15 08:45 PM
Am I the only one who felt like the demo on normal speed was way faster than FIFA 15?
Had to lower it to slow so the game felt somewhat realistic, now if the retail is gonna be even faster, i'm not too excited about this

# 37 Matty Aqua @ 09/13/15 12:31 AM
played a few games with the demo, overall i'd have to say it feels a lot more smoother, players seem to animate more like humans, but doesn't feel like a large upgrade over FIFA 15.

At this point of time, i feel they may have balanced out the difficulties between Pro and World Class, as I felt World Class was so over powered in previous games, yet Pro was just too easy.

# 38 Matt10 @ 09/13/15 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevostl
Hey matt I tried your settings last night that I saw you post at pro evo and it played good.. the only thing is I had a hard time getting pass defenders I noticed.. . but specifically I liked playing on Semi shooting and passing in using your controls

I thought it was good.. I think FIFA plays pretty good enough in the demo even on default speed and professional and assisted controls..

I really don't see any problems with shooting in FIFA except the auto finesse shot sometimes.. but other than that i think it's fine compared to PES basic shooting which needs to be patched imo.. In PES you are forced to play with manual shooting which is great imo or else your going to score goals like crazy this year until it's patched. I don't see any glaring issues with the shooting in FIFA to be honest except for the auto finesse shot but I don't think that is that big of an issue hurting the gameplay.

today after I get done watching the United vs Liverpool match I will try your settings again.
Do you mean on Evo-Web? I hadn't posted any sliders for 16 (that I know of) yet. The ones I did post are from my stream session on the OS Sliders for 15 thread:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...postcount=3644

I'm so ready for the full game now!

# 39 El Niche @ 09/13/15 02:08 PM
Hey Matt. Looking forward to your sliders. I found the demo fun, a little hard to defend coming from pes. The AI just passed ping pong balls with me running around to catch it. Still getting pes first but hopefully with good sliders fifa will be great. I hope that the final game there are differences of playing styles of the teams. So far it seems all the teams play similar

# 40 Resurrection403 @ 09/13/15 04:21 PM
so on world class ive juiced up the cpu passing error to 75, improved my marking to 55 and lowered CPU to 45. seems to play very tight and may be the right mix so far.

who knows how the retail will be though

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.