Home
Feature Article
Two Buttons People Are Not Pressing Enough in NBA 2K16

In a hundred or so head-to-head online matches of NBA 2K16, I can only recall two or three opponents who have taken advantage of the new handoff mechanic that Visual Concepts has assigned to the B button on Xbox One and the Circle button on PlayStation 4.

If you see a play in NBA 2K16 that's named “Weave” or “Give” (like the two sets being demonstrated above), it usually means that the primary action involves one or more handoff actions. Across the league, NBA coaches are increasingly incorporating dribble handoffs into their offenses. This type of action lets athletic players (like Victor Oladipo) catch the ball in motion and continue their forward momentum without breaking stride.

Multiple handoffs and weaves also put constant pressure on defenses, forcing defenders to make quick decisions about how much they should help and whether or not they should switch. These decisions must be made at a faster pace than they would in a traditional screen and roll situation, which helps expose defenses that have sluggish feet, slow brains or undisciplined hands.

If I had to guess the reasons why so few people are using handoffs in NBA 2K16, it's probably because the give and receive animations can both be a bit clunky at times. On top of that, you really need to call a set “Give” or “Weave” play to use the handoff action to its fullest potential -- and of course, most people online prefer not to call any plays at all.

The manual backdoor cut command Visual Concepts added to the Y button on Xbox One and the Triangle button on PlayStation 4 seems to be a significantly more popular addition to NBA 2K16. But even then, I would say only 15 to 20 percent of my online opponents are utilizing this new offensive tool.

The fact that you can have success calling these backdoor cuts without setting up a designed play is probably what's made them more popular than handoffs in the NBA 2K16 online community. All you need to do is bring your center up to the elbow, spread the rest of your offensive players around the perimeter, and you will potentially have several wide open paths to the basket -- until your opponent adjusts his defense and starts sagging back to protect the paint.

You could make a pretty convincing argument that these manual backdoor cuts are actually too overpowered in NBA 2K16, since they're only supposed to work against "tight/deny" defensive settings and the "limit perimeter shots" point of emphasis. But because of NBA 2K16's iffy off-ball AI, slow defensive locomotion, and lack of off-ball contact animations, these cuts will work more often than they should against "gap/moderate" defensive settings and the "protect the paint" point of emphasis.

All that being said, and given how regularly Visual Concepts changes NBA 2K's controls, I hope NBA 2K17 decides to keep both of these mechanics. If the developers can make the handoff animations more fluid and improve the CPU defenders' reactions to backdoor cuts, then that would make these two elements even more enjoyable to use.

NBA 2K16 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Ray Vibes @ 02/23/16 03:18 PM
I've completely forgot about the handoff. Need to start taking advantage of that.

# 2 DBMcGee3 @ 02/23/16 03:22 PM
This is one of the only things Live does better than 2k, in my opinion.

# 3 Syce @ 02/23/16 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGaryColeman
The button they ain't pressing enough in Park/Pro-Am would the Pass button!
i would agree

# 4 LO6IX @ 02/23/16 05:04 PM
Come to think of it, I have never seen an opponent use a handoff. The manual cuts, I've seen.
I use handoffs a lot. If I'm running a swing set, I usually take the hanoff instead of the swing pass. When plays break down I use manual handoffs. I use it in the Park and Pro-Am too. 2K17 should have handoff screens and shot animations off of handoffs. They also need to give us the ability to attack going downhill.

# 5 Hustle Westbrook @ 02/23/16 05:40 PM
I use it all the time.

I love it because sometimes when I'm at the top of the key off-ballers are patiently waiting to jump the passing lane and steal one of my passes. This is a much safer option. This and the manual cut feature are awesome.

# 6 jeebs9 @ 02/23/16 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO6IX
Come to think of it, I have never seen an opponent use a handoff. The manual cuts, I've seen.
I use handoffs a lot. If I'm running a swing set, I usually take the hanoff instead of the swing pass. When plays break down I use manual handoffs. I use it in the Park and Pro-Am too. 2K17 should have handoff screens and shot animations off of handoffs. They also need to give us the ability to attack going downhill.
This is actually what they need. It's the one thing that is missing from the hand off. Is the screen part after. The player just stands there. But I do shoot on handoffs once in a while. If my opponent goes under. I'll usually pull up for a 3. That's when the player should screen up. Even mixing in some offensive fouls would be a nice mix.

# 7 jeebs9 @ 02/23/16 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustle Westbrook
I use it all the time.

I love it because sometimes when I'm at the top of the key off-ballers are patiently waiting to jump the passing lane and steal one of my passes. This is a much safer option. This and the manual cut feature are awesome.
I didn't start using the manual cut up until a month ago online. I thought it was cheesy at first. But after playing some of my offball friends offline over the holidays. I found it to be super effective vs humans playing off ball. Because I've notice humans just can't react fast enough playing with big man.

# 8 Mbunn1993 @ 02/23/16 05:58 PM
I love using the manual cuts but I still struggle to select the guy I want to cut in time. I feel like even when I try aiming the left stick toward who I want, It always selects someone else for me. I just need more practice with it

# 9 NINJAK2 @ 02/23/16 09:00 PM
Had no idea about the manual cuts. I use handoff mechanic occasionally..

# 10 worstsportsgamer1977 @ 02/23/16 09:47 PM
i use the hand off button but i usually just use it to bring the wing from the corner so i can make a cut or get the offense moving. I use the cut button as well but not alot because i do not know how to use it on a specific teammate. the few times a game i do use it, is when the defense is not in a zone which is rare but it happens. in which i attack the rim via the baseline. usually when i use the cut.

# 11 BA2929 @ 02/23/16 10:30 PM
I probably over use both these buttons. Especially the cut to basket.

I really only use the handoff button when I'm trying to get some movement going with my wing players.

# 12 ATLBrayden @ 02/24/16 01:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGaryColeman
The button they ain't pressing enough in Park/Pro-Am would the Pass button!
That's what I thought this was gonna be about lol.

# 13 Smirkin Dirk @ 02/24/16 05:36 AM
I love the handoff. You can use the big to set a screen and have the guard blow right through.

# 14 Real2KInsider @ 02/24/16 08:34 AM
Turbo TBQH

# 15 jeebs9 @ 02/24/16 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Kidd
I love the handoff. You can use the big to set a screen and have the guard blow right through.
The Screen aren't exactly like real life. But I think 2k see this a great step forward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
Had no idea about the manual cuts. I use handoff mechanic occasionally..
Maybe because I always loved the Kings offense. But I love the handoffs. I hope that they include dribble handoff next year.

# 16 iTofu @ 02/24/16 03:44 PM
I like calling for a screen then using that as an opportunity to use both of these buttons.

# 17 iceberg760 @ 02/24/16 05:50 PM
Great article Jason -- for me, league play i saw alot of the back door cut b/c i was overplaying the ball...but just quick games online--it's nonexistent...

# 18 jeebs9 @ 02/24/16 05:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceberg760
Great article Jason -- for me, league play i saw alot of the back door cut b/c i was overplaying the ball...but just quick games online--it's nonexistent...
I don't know if what settings your online league was on. But that wasn't my experience. We played on HOF SIM. I'm guessing you played on the same settings. But I felt the offense was stuck in mud in my league. When someone sets their defense to deny. Your players won't move at all. I still don't enjoy playing in my online league

# 19 Mrcabone @ 02/25/16 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbunn1993
I love using the manual cuts but I still struggle to select the guy I want to cut in time. I feel like even when I try aiming the left stick toward who I want, It always selects someone else for me. I just need more practice with it
How do you use manual cuts?

# 20 jeebs9 @ 02/25/16 06:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrcabone
How do you use manual cuts?
You press triangle. There is a little light circle around the players. The player will cut to the basket.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.