Home
Feature Article
PES 2017: What Do We Know About the Game After E3?

E3 2016 is over, and what a hectic week it was. For those of us who eat, sleep and breathe soccer, we were treated to all sorts of entertainment. Euro 2016 and Copa América continued to provide plenty of memorable moments, and a whole host of new info was unveiled for this year's FIFA and PES releases. I love this time of year

We already knew some information about PES 2017 before E3 rolled around due to an announcement back on May 25. It was via this announcement that we were informed of a number of gameplay changes that we'd be seeing this year, including Adaptive AI, Real Touch and Precise Pass features. Shortly after, the first hands-on previews started to surface, and the majority of feedback was very positive. Not a bad start.

Then, E3 2016 gave us even more content to analyze. There were plenty of interviews and new pieces of information, but we haven't seen any gameplay just yet. Still, there's a lot to mull over, so let's take a look at some of the highlights.

Defining A New Tagline

PES Global Product and Brand Manager Adam Bhatti has been doing the rounds over the past week, and he's been talking about PES 2017's new tagline: Control Reality. In simple terms, it showcases the PES series' intention to create the best possible experience on the field while mirroring the real-life sport we so desperately enjoy. From what we've heard, it's clear the team is once again focusing on gameplay above all else. The in-game presentation has also been improved, which is an area that was in desperate need of a touch-up.

Share, Share, Share!

One of the big new announcements that is sure to please a large portion of the PES fanbase is Edit Data Sharing. While last year's image importing feature was greatly received, we were longing for more. The ability to transfer other players' edited teams and players opens up PES 2017's creative potential even further. If I had to pick one disappointment about this feature, it's that it will seemingly be exclusive to the PS4. Could this change before release? We'll see.

Rewriting Wrongs

As a fan of the series since its inception, I was happy to see that PES 2016 got such positive feedback at release. Unfortunately, a lot of that momentum was lost soon after as a failure to update the game's rosters on time left a lot of fans unhappy. It was a real kick in the teeth for everyone involved, and assurances have been made that this year's game won't suffer the same issues. In fact, we're going to be getting weekly roster updates from day one. Let's hope things go smoothly.

MyClub & Master League

The big difference in MyClub is the addition of an Auction House. That might sound like it has been ripped straight out of FIFA's Ultimate Team equivalent, but PES' Auction House will be centered around scouts instead of the players themselves. The chances of landing your ideal signing will be improved based on a number of factors, and it should make things a little less frustrating for those who want to sign specific players.

There's a whole lot of new info about Master League, too. We've got more Team Roles, improvements to Player Growth, and finally, the ability to play games during day and night-time hours based on scheduling. My biggest gripe with PES 2016's Master League was its transfer system, but a bunch of new changes including dedicated budgets will hopefully solve those issues this time around.

It's interesting to see that while EA Sports has taken the route of announcing relatively little at this time, Konami has decided to unveil a whole host of things about practically every feature in PES 2017. These are two very different strategies, and it'll be interesting to see how they pay off in the long run. Ultimately, there's a lot to look forward to here. Until we get our hands on PES 2017 for the first time, the judgment will have to be reserved for now.

Member Comments
# 1 DBMcGee3 @ 06/23/16 01:19 PM
I'm thrilled about the file sharing, which essentially nullifies any roster negligence from the team of chimps at Konami. Hopefully they'll have figured out the issues with Data packs corrupting these files. Nothing worse than getting your roster exactly where you want it, only for a Data pack to come along and scramble everything.

Overall I'm really excited for the game this year. It sounds like they have truly fixed the GKs, which in my opinion have plagued the series for years. If they can at least improve upon the fouls issue, and if in fact the adaptive AI does what they're claiming, I think I'm all in.

# 2 asu666 @ 06/23/16 01:27 PM
Let's hope fouls work this year. So far, I'm feeling pretty good about the information leaking out.

# 3 stocksy @ 06/23/16 01:46 PM
The file share could save this series as the first poster said the corruption and lack of updates is a massive problem.

Fouls, Keepers and konami's own stupid restrictions to editing are all issues I'm still worried about

# 4 Turbojugend @ 06/23/16 02:43 PM
Coming from someone who used save injections on the PS2 and Xbox 360 versions of PES, the file sharing announcement is huge with me as well. Hopefully there is an abundance of league and team save slots, I'd love to have the entire Football League in PES.

# 5 stocksy @ 06/23/16 03:23 PM
Agree with the above. They need to allow us to build structures and have multiple leagues in a country and then play seasons rolling....

Remove limits and let us make our own footballing worlds to play in

# 6 RoyceDa59 @ 06/23/16 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stocksy
Agree with the above. They need to allow us to build structures and have multiple leagues in a country and then play seasons rolling....

Remove limits and let us make our own footballing worlds to play in
Would be nice but I just wish they brought back the stadium creator, have access to a bucnch a teams almost means nothing if the majority of them play in the same stadium.

# 7 dtlm6 @ 06/23/16 09:13 PM
Is that Arsenal in the picture at the top of this article? Is that their way of showing us that we can design authentic team uniforms?

I very much want the ability to make leagues (Bundesliga, Premier League, Football League, MLS).

# 8 Fedor_52 @ 06/23/16 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtlm6
Is that Arsenal in the picture at the top of this article? Is that their way of showing us that we can design authentic team uniforms?

I very much want the ability to make leagues (Bundesliga, Premier League, Football League, MLS).
I think Arsenal is one of the licensed teams

# 9 dtlm6 @ 06/24/16 01:55 AM
Is there any information on new licensed teams on PES. Arsenal was not licensed last year. However, PES has about 3-4 Bundesliga teams. Why does PES have a generic Premier League but not a generic Bundesliga?

# 10 stocksy @ 06/24/16 02:57 AM
That is one of the many many strange situations that only Konami can answer.

I'm not sure why they don't have generic leagues for all major nations and structures all in place. People would edit it and this would get even more popular.

It seems an easy win to give us more and more fake unlicensed leagues

I agree wit stadium editor comment.

I would also do away with the 2 kit limitations - not for unlimited but two isn't enough.

# 11 Radja @ 06/24/16 03:05 AM
more fouls. way more fouls. if they fix that, i will be happy.

# 12 bestbrother @ 06/24/16 09:11 AM
Quote:
Is there any information on new licensed teams on PES. Arsenal was not licensed last year. However, PES has about 3-4 Bundesliga teams. Why does PES have a generic Premier League but not a generic Bundesliga?
I think and im not 100% on this, its due to the fact that if they have a fake German League, then they are not allowed to sell the product in Germany.

Football Manager dosent have the German league licence, but does include it in their game (albeit 'fake'). However Football Manager as far as im aware is not sold in Germany because of this fact.

Based on that, their choice is; either include a German fake league and not sell in one of Europes bigger markets, OR leave it out but have an editable option and still make sales in Germany.

The best thing about PES though is the 'WE / PES' Leagues which we can manipulate and turn into a Bundesliga, which will be even better this year with option files

# 13 itbeme23 @ 06/24/16 01:20 PM
Having just switched to PES from FIFA a couple of weeks ago, I probably don't have as much knowledge and insight about the game as a lot of guys on these boards.

HOWEVER....

I will say that PES is by far, the best soccer (err....football) game I've ever played. PES 2016, with the sim settings adjustments I was able to find in the forums, just FEELS like soccer. It really makes FIFA look like an arcade-y mess. Players and passes have weight to them, which is something that FIFA lacks in a big way. I'm not a soccer expert by any stretch. I grew up playing more conventional American sports like basketball and football. I started really getting into soccer during World Cup 2010, and I've been playing FIFA every year since. After being thoroughly disgusted with FIFA 16, I made the switch to PES. I can confidently say that I will not be going back, especially with the news that I've been hearing about PES 2017.

My main gripe with both games (although it's less with PES) is the lack of fouls. In FIFA, there would be stretches of 5-10 games where I would have matches with ZERO fouls called. Again, I admit I'm not a soccer expert, but that's just completely ludicrous. I've always contended in every sport, fouls and penalties have the potential to change the game in a huge way. I think this is especially true in soccer. Take Messi's free kick (absolutely ridiculous, by the way) against the U.S. on Tuesday. Before that, it was a 1-0 game, nearly at halftime. Messi gets fouled just outside of the box, and hits that free kick, making it 2-0 before the half, and in my opinion, that's what really shifted the momentum in Argentina's favor. PES suffers from a lack of fouls as well, but not nearly at the level that FIFA does. EA's whole "we don't want to disrupt the flow of the game" argument is ridiculous, and the simulation experience of FIFA really suffers as a result. They did the same thing in Madden for YEARS. Penalties in that game were broken up until M16.

PES is one of those rare games that is geared to the simulation style player, which makes it a gem (similar to how NFL 2K5 was). The gameplay is excellent, and with the refinements coming in '17, I believe it has the potential to be the greatest soccer game ever.

In short, I guess I just want more fouls. LOL

# 14 DBMcGee3 @ 06/24/16 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by itbeme23
Having just switched to PES from FIFA a couple of weeks ago, I probably don't have as much knowledge and insight about the game as a lot of guys on these boards.

HOWEVER....

I will say that PES is by far, the best soccer (err....football) game I've ever played. PES 2016, with the sim settings adjustments I was able to find in the forums, just FEELS like soccer. It really makes FIFA look like an arcade-y mess. Players and passes have weight to them, which is something that FIFA lacks in a big way. I'm not a soccer expert by any stretch. I grew up playing more conventional American sports like basketball and football. I started really getting into soccer during World Cup 2010, and I've been playing FIFA every year since. After being thoroughly disgusted with FIFA 16, I made the switch to PES. I can confidently say that I will not be going back, especially with the news that I've been hearing about PES 2017.

My main gripe with both games (although it's less with PES) is the lack of fouls. In FIFA, there would be stretches of 5-10 games where I would have matches with ZERO fouls called. Again, I admit I'm not a soccer expert, but that's just completely ludicrous. I've always contended in every sport, fouls and penalties have the potential to change the game in a huge way. I think this is especially true in soccer. Take Messi's free kick (absolutely ridiculous, by the way) against the U.S. on Tuesday. Before that, it was a 1-0 game, nearly at halftime. Messi gets fouled just outside of the box, and hits that free kick, making it 2-0 before the half, and in my opinion, that's what really shifted the momentum in Argentina's favor. PES suffers from a lack of fouls as well, but not nearly at the level that FIFA does. EA's whole "we don't want to disrupt the flow of the game" argument is ridiculous, and the simulation experience of FIFA really suffers as a result. They did the same thing in Madden for YEARS. Penalties in that game were broken up until M16.

PES is one of those rare games that is geared to the simulation style player, which makes it a gem (similar to how NFL 2K5 was). The gameplay is excellent, and with the refinements coming in '17, I believe it has the potential to be the greatest soccer game ever.

You don't find the scoring to be a bit out of control in PES 2016? I can't play anything longer than 10 minute games without seeing 5 or 6 goals.

# 15 bxphenom7 @ 06/24/16 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by itbeme23

HOWEVER....

Welcome man! I had the same exact feeling when I decided to hop on with PES 15 and I'm so glad I did. PES 17 seems to be fixing the GKs, scoring easiness, and lack of fouls, so there's a lot to look forward to with PES 17 from a simulation standpoint. With other news such as the game slowing down, adaptive AI, and option files, the only thing that could send get me even more hyped is if we were able to create leagues and tournaments while saying which teams participate and and format etc. Gamescom can't get here soon enough!

# 16 itbeme23 @ 06/24/16 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBMcGee3
You don't find the scoring to be a bit out of control in PES 2016? I can't play anything longer than 10 minute games without seeing 5 or 6 goals.
Up to this point, I have not seen any outrageous scoring on either side.

I'm not great at soccer games. As I said, I'm not a soccer expert, and I imagine that hinders my ability to cheese the CPU. I typically average about two goals per game....3 if I'm having a really good game against a sub-par opponent. As I said in my other post, I've set up my squads and settings according the the "PES Sim Settings" thread here on O.S. Playing 25 minutes on Superstar level is more than challenging enough for me.

# 17 JimmyDeicide @ 06/24/16 07:52 PM
Ill be looking at 3 things in the demo.

1. If defenders run away from the man and ball in and around the box.

2. Fouls.

3. Shot variety.

If its better ill buy if its the same then all That Bahti bull**** about listening to the fans is a load of bollocks.

# 18 dtlm6 @ 06/24/16 10:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestbrother
I think and im not 100% on this, its due to the fact that if they have a fake German League, then they are not allowed to sell the product in Germany.

Football Manager dosent have the German league licence, but does include it in their game (albeit 'fake'). However Football Manager as far as im aware is not sold in Germany because of this fact.

Based on that, their choice is; either include a German fake league and not sell in one of Europes bigger markets, OR leave it out but have an editable option and still make sales in Germany.

The best thing about PES though is the 'WE / PES' Leagues which we can manipulate and turn into a Bundesliga, which will be even better this year with option files
Thanks for the insight, that actually makes a lot of sense. I would give anything to have authentic leagues for Premier League, Bundesliga and MLS on PES. Hopefully the option files will go some way in resolving this.

# 19 RoyceDa59 @ 06/25/16 01:22 PM
Quote:
Thanks for the insight, that actually makes a lot of sense. I would give anything to have authentic leagues for Premier League, Bundesliga and MLS on PES. Hopefully the option files will go some way in resolving this.
Trust me they will as long as Konami doesn't have extreme limitations on how much kits and emblems can be imported people will be able to get the authenticity of those leagues.

Plus this will be the first time ever option files will be accessible worldwide instead of being restricted to regions. I'm pretty sure there will be a lot of options files available for fans. I might even work on a MLS one myself if I have the help and time.

# 20 dtlm6 @ 06/25/16 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyceDa59
Trust me they will as long as Konami doesn't have extreme limitations on how much kits and emblems can be imported people will be able to get the authenticity of those leagues.

Plus this will be the first time ever option files will be accessible worldwide instead of being restricted to regions. I'm pretty sure there will be a lot of options files available for fans. I might even work on a MLS one myself if I have the help and time.
Man, that is very encouraging. I am a huge fan of PES. I love that there are two soccer games because competition leads to innovation, although in EA's case, it leads to throwing their financial muscle around to get the advantage (not that there's anything wrong with that). I'm encouraged that FIFA 17 will be using a new engine but, unless it makes the game radically different, I'm focused on PES 2017. Still love PES 2016 though especially with Copa America and Euro 2016 going on.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.