Home
Feature Article
More NBA 2K17 MyCAREER Details

During the NBA 2K17 community event, the one item that was to remain under a strict embargo was any discussion about the new MyCareer mode.

After last year's Frequency Vibrations MyCareer story presented by Spike Lee, the NBA 2K team was focused on ways to improve the game's most played mode, and Jeff Thomas, VP for Visual Concepts, was ready to share all that is new this year in MyCareer.

As you likely know by now, on September 9 The Prelude will be available as a free download. Players can begin their MyCareer 11 days before the full release of NBA 2K17, and you'll be able to play a significant amount of MyCareer leading up to when you'll declare for the NBA Draft and start your NBA career.

The Prelude will allow you to create your character, begin your unique MyCareer storyline, and make choices about things like where to go to college.

As you continue through The Prelude, you'll play up to four of your college games, all the while making an impact on your draft stock. If you're thinking four games is way too short, Thomas anticipated this and said, "[MyCareer is] more than four college games, it's a great college experience." So for instance, early on in The Prelude you'll attend your school's own "Midnight Mania" game. More situations like this are peppered throughout MyCareer, the vast majority appearing well beyond what you'll see in The Prelude's small sampling.

One interesting twist on The Prelude is that no matter what, you can only play the mode through one time. It's all or nothing -- if you performance suffers, you might be lucky to be picked up late in the second round. The reason the NBA 2K team did this was so that not everyone ended up being the first pick in the draft come September 20 when the game is released and you connect your MyPlayer to the retail game.

(To clarify: I believe you can indeed do other MyCareer characters if you're unhappy with your first one, but this free version of The Prelude is the one that's a one-time deal.)

MyCareer Retail Version Includes Unique Storylines

Once you are in the retail version of the game, you can enter the NBA Draft to find out where your NBA legacy will begin.

One of the big changes in MyCareer that the development team at 2K Games wanted to make was to allow for more unique storylines to develop in each MyPlayer's story. Thus, instead of everyone living the same scripted storyline like with Frequency Vibrations last year, now you'll be able to play through a series of branching decisions and actions that can lead you down different paths as you develop your own unique legacy of greatness, or perhaps even mediocrity (that'll be my character, at least).

New Schools

This year, players will have a total of 10 schools to sign with, some being repeats, some being new. The schools included are: Oklahoma, Illinois, Georgia Tech, Michigan State (boo!), Wake Forest, UConn, Louisville, Arizona, Georgetown and Kansas.

Prelude Continued, Featuring Kobe Bryant And Michael B. Jordan

When you start The Prelude for the first time, you'll see that it features Kobe Bryant and Michael B. Jordan. From what I recall -- and admittedly this part is a bit hazy as I stopped noting and just enjoyed the show for a few minutes here -- Kobe talks you through some of the basics of MyCareer and what it takes to become a NBA player. Toward the end of this intro montage, Kobe teases that if anyone has a better career than his, he'll have to lace 'em up again.

The NBA 2K17 MyPlayer Backstory

Next, there is a montage of your high school locker room and school hallway, and you're shown some highlights that make up your high school highlight reel at Lower Valley High where you've become a high school All-American. Your highlight reel alone has garnered over one million views.

This montage transitions into you now shooting hoops in your high school gym with your head coach mere days after your senior season's conclusion. You seem to be a happy and confident senior who knows he has a bright basketball future ahead of him. Your coach, who also is aware of your talents and who it's made clear has a very good relationship with you, wants you to stay humble and remember the fundamentals: "I want to see more likes on videos of you making a good chest pass," your coach says (obviously coach doesn't understand how YouTube and Facebook work).

After this scene plays out, MyCareer cuts to a sports show called :24 announcing your choice of college.

Unique MyCareer Starting Points

Next, you're given a choice in terms of the exact starting point where you'd prefer to start your college career. I didn't get a very long look at this screen, but it is just as it sounds, different starting points for your pre-NBA MyCareer player.

In the demo shown to me, your player started during his freshman year at the "Midnight Mania" event. The action started with a loud countdown from your school's passionate fan base as the players began to walk out at midnight to be introduced for the first time, including that hot new All-American freshman -- that would be you.

At this point, the MyCareer montage video stopped, and we began to get glimpses of what else the mode had to offer.

Player Creation Focused on Individualism, MyCareer Expands on RPG Elements

I wasn't exactly clear on when -- whether it's before you start the mode or after you're already a HS All-American -- but at some point you will, like last year, create your player's appearance, play style and the like. We were told that the NBA 2K development team put a lot of focus on individuals, so MyCareer should not be turning into a mode where all people end up being the same kind of player.

Specifically, you'll start by choosing your archetype, such as a "Stretch Big," "Post Scorer," "Paint Protector," etc. You can make five of your play style badges Gold while the other badges you earn will be Bronze (thanks to @Shakedown2012 for tweeting that clarification). These options weren't discussed in too much detail (there was a lot for 2K to cover), and the details covered here are based entirely on the images that were shown during this particular section of the player creation process.

Thomas continued to discuss how MyCareer this year is much more focused on being an RPG as opposed to the same storyline being played through like in NBA 2K16.

Prez, Your Supporting Cast And Getting Closer To The Game

In contrast to this desire for uniqueness, you will be limited to the nickname "Prez," the pre-determined nickname for your character. The reason a nickname is predetermined and used is because it allows for the development team to be more creative and realistic in creating dialogue for the actors, and the like.

Speaking of actors, there are a handful of actors on-board this year for MyCareer, but one that was discussed with some detail is Hannibal Buress' character who runs The Main Street Barbershop. This possibly means new hairstyles, perhaps? It wasn't made clear to me one way or another (yet it was my most frequently asked question on Twitter @mikelowe_OS), but with a strong focus being placed on player uniqueness, I'd be willing to wager this is something we'll see expanded on with NBA 2K17.

In addition, while last year a lot of the MyCareer story was happening off the court -- and there's still some scenes that play out there as well in NBA 2K17 -- this year MyCareer, "takes you much closer to the game of basketball," said Thomas.

Dynamic Duos

Another new twist is you can now control and switch between two characters in what's being called Dynamic Duos. Similar to the system used in Grand Theft Auto V, you'll now have the option to play as two teammates and also make decisions for each character off the court as well. One cool tidbit I saw during this Dynamic Duo gameplay demo were little "tweets" appearing visually over spectators after a dunk during a crowd cut scene simulating the fans actually tweeting out their reaction to a big play.

MyCourt, Doing Work, Deeper Connections, More Endorsements, Tiered Shoe Deals

MyCourts can now include stunning looking murals of, for example, Lakers greats. Like other areas of MyCourt, murals are customizable and are quite impressive looking -- a very nice touch to add to your MyCourt.

Another new feature in MyCareer is "Doing Work" which is a tracking system/meter, inspired by Kobe Bryant while actually in-studio at 2K. Doing Work allows your MyPlayer to go into shootarounds to gain coveted upgrade spots. Instead of maxing out at an 88 or 89 overall, now you can earn these upgrades to increase your overall through Doing Work.

Your MyCareer connections now go deeper and will show up at your MyCourt where you can Do Work with them on drills, and so on. You'll hear a knock at your (virtual) door, and the connection will be there to work with you on a three-pointer mini-game, for instance.

You can choose different time slots to go Do Work, so early morning you might be the only one out on the court, while other times the whole team will be there along with your head coach. You'll also be able to work on your physique and physical attributes by using items around your gym like a bench press.

Lastly, endorsement opportunities for MyCareer this year include Mountain Dew, KIA, Nike, Under Armour, Jordan, Gatorade, Foot Locker, Adidas Tissot, Stance and more. Once you're drafted, you'll have four shoe companies approach you to sign you to a shoe deal. You will have to make a tough decision here though, as not all shoe contracts will be the same -- another example of how each MyCareer experience is different. A tier one shoe contract might unlock just one shoe, where a tier two or tier three deal can unlock an entire shoe catalog.

Note: I reached out to 2K Games on Thursday to inquire about the numerous Twitter questions I had coming in asking about new hairstyles and tattoos. As of Thursday evening, I have not heard back just yet. I will update this thread in the comments below once I have anything to report to you all.

Member Comments
# 61 Gramps91 @ 09/02/16 08:28 PM
It all sounds pretty good but I am disappointed you can't pick Kentucky as a school

# 62 Trackball @ 09/02/16 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaterofworlds888
It all sounds pretty good but I am disappointed you can't pick Kentucky as a school
True, but at least you get a pre-built expansion team (the Louisville Liberty).

Reportedly 2K wanted to name it the Kentucky Colonels, after that old ABA team, but legal shot that down.
Same color scheme, though.

# 63 SportsFanatic10 @ 09/02/16 09:06 PM
I'm not liking the direction they are going with this mode at all. Preset nicknames and story modes aren't what I'm looking for personally. My wish is that they had an offline version for the people that don't care about ProAm. Make it so you go through high school, college, the draft, and then summer league. And maybe even D-League. Then they'd let you use custom gameplay sliders, and choose a starting point for your overall attribute and max potential at the beginning when you make your player, with such starting point options as:

Undrafted (60 Ovr)
2nd round pick (65 Ovr)
1st round pick, (70 Ovr)
Lottery pick (75 Ovr)
Top 5 Pick (80 Ovr)

However your performance in the events leading up to the draft could still effect where you go. Then also allow users to choose a max potential based on:

Role Player (75 Pot)
Starter (80 Pot)
Allstar (85 Pot)
Star (90 Pot)
Superstar (99 Pot)

Then along with individual rating increases instead of buckets you can mold your player type within those predecided parameters. Say if you choose starter, you know you'll max out at 80, and can improve your defense and 3pth shooting mostly to become a 3 and D type player as one example.

Also having the option to play 29 game seasons with normalized stats calculating the games and stat totals out across 82 games so you can realistically play every game and get through seasons. Have the coach give you more or less minutes depending on how you perform and even get send down to the dleague early on would be great. I could go on and on, so many ideas about how I'd rather see them take this, but I'm sure I'm probably in the small minority...

# 64 NARFALICIOUS @ 09/02/16 09:55 PM
To me it'd be more exciting if there were more storylines down the road, not just first or 2nd season, maybe season 5...also different storylines for different positions.

Different storylines released throughout the season and alternate paths....

# 65 adw 688 @ 09/02/16 09:56 PM
All these new features all cool and all but the bottom line is the replay value of playing multiple season will be ruined if your teammates play like ****. U should nit have to average 40pionts 15 rebonds and 10 assist inorder for your team to win

# 66 emack32 @ 09/02/16 10:26 PM
This! Make it similar to NCAA road to glory where you customize your high school along with the option to customize your opponents in high school. Play a full season of college, could be a mix of real and fake colleges that you could customize. Have the option to go back for up to 4 seasons, then draft, summer league, and then NBA/d-league. We have the alternative for MY GM, we need an alternative for MY Career as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsFanatic10
I'm not liking the direction they are going with this mode at all. Preset nicknames and story modes aren't what I'm looking for personally. My wish is that they had an offline version for the people that don't care about ProAm. Make it so you go through high school, college, the draft, and then summer league. And maybe even D-League. Then they'd let you use custom gameplay sliders, and choose a starting point for your overall attribute and max potential at the beginning when you make your player, with such starting point options as:

Undrafted (60 Ovr)
2nd round pick (65 Ovr)
1st round pick, (70 Ovr)
Lottery pick (75 Ovr)
Top 5 Pick (80 Ovr)

However your performance in the events leading up to the draft could still effect where you go. Then also allow users to choose a max potential based on:

Role Player (75 Pot)
Starter (80 Pot)
Allstar (85 Pot)
Star (90 Pot)
Superstar (99 Pot)

Then along with individual rating increases instead of buckets you can mold your player type within those predecided parameters. Say if you choose starter, you know you'll max out at 80, and can improve your defense and 3pth shooting mostly to become a 3 and D type player as one example.

Also having the option to play 29 game seasons with normalized stats calculating the games and stat totals out across 82 games so you can realistically play every game and get through seasons. Have the coach give you more or less minutes depending on how you perform and even get send down to the dleague early on would be great. I could go on and on, so many ideas about how I'd rather see them take this, but I'm sure I'm probably in the small minority...

# 67 SportsFanatic10 @ 09/02/16 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adw 688
All these new features all cool and all but the bottom line is the replay value of playing multiple season will be ruined if your teammates play like ****. U should nit have to average 40pionts 15 rebonds and 10 assist inorder for your team to win
Very true, it kills the realism for sure. At least if we could use custom gameplay sliders like in other modes you could at least mostly remedy this on our own.

# 68 fireengine68 @ 09/03/16 12:07 AM
I wonder if you will be able to upgrade your my player attributes during the prelude or have to wait till the full game release to do this! Really looking forward to this game so much!

# 69 Rip4ever @ 09/03/16 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leasim96
There would be no point in archetypes then. Solid defender sure. Really God defender eh. Lockdown defender absolutely not. The thing is that sharpshooter in the game of basketball is one of the deadliest offensive weapons. I don't find it fair to for them to be great defenders. Offline sure - online no. If Lockdown defender can't shoot
from 3 - you shouldn't be able to defend at a similar level. Plus defense is much more IQ related than shooting. You can probably compensate for average defensive stats if you are smart. Same can't be said for shooting.

Sent from my SKY 5.0W using Tapatalk
You kind of make the point though. All the various offensive styles can still get 15/25 defense. But a lockdown defender can't get even close to 15/25 on ANY offensive stats, and not even 10/25 on anything more than 15ft away. You should be able to have at least one offensive area where you are above average.

I suspect when all is said and done a created lockdown defender won't even be able to match Tony Allen's offensive skill numbers and he is horrible on offense. Having a MyPlayer that should be jealous of Trick or Treat Tony is just sad.

# 70 Leasim96 @ 09/03/16 01:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip4ever
You kind of make the point though. All the various offensive styles can still get 15/25 defense. But a lockdown defender can't get even close to 15/25 on ANY offensive stats, and not even 10/25 on anything more than 15ft away. You should be able to have at least one offensive area where you are above average.

I suspect when all is said and done a created lockdown defender won't even be able to match Tony Allen's offensive skill numbers and he is horrible on offense. Having a MyPlayer that should be jealous of Trick or Treat Tony is just sad.
Well you're right - but then we are talking about lockdown defender specifically. Which depends a lot on balance of the game. I actually made a post talking about balance of builds in another thread. So I would kind of have to type my thoughts all over again. But basically - it depends on the balance of the game. Who knows maybe a lockdown defender can legit do a lot on defense and be very effective. So effective that it becomes justified to have such a build. I'll copy and paste a comment I made summarizing stat caps for sf in a while. It probably reflects similar stats for other positions. So we can see a bit of the balance and unbalance.

# 71 Leasim96 @ 09/03/16 01:55 AM
A quick overview of what playstyle is best at what for Sf according to the Prelude trailer. (In order of highest stats from around 15+ to 25). First style of each has the highest.

Best shooting wise (both mid and 3pt) = Sharpshooter / Shot creator / Point forward.
Best off dribble = Shot creator / Slasher / Point forward.
Best Post = Post (not shown but obvious) / 3 playstyles have 14.
Best inside = Slasher / Glass cleaner / Creator / Point forward / Probably post.
Best Agility = Every style above 18 except sharpshooter
Best defending = Lockdown / Cleaner / everyone else at 15.
Best rebounding = Cleaner / Lockdown / Probably post.
Best playmaking = Point forward / Slasher / Creator.
Best strenghth = Cleaner / Lockdown / Probably post

Obviously this is just SF - but maybe there's a trend - it could depend on height and such too.

# 72 Rip4ever @ 09/03/16 02:09 AM
Quote:
Well you're right - but then we are talking about lockdown defender specifically. Which depends a lot on balance of the game. I actually made a post talking about balance of builds in another thread. So I would kind of have to type my thoughts all over again. But basically - it depends on the balance of the game. Who knows maybe a lockdown defender can legit do a lot on defense and be very effective. So effective that it becomes justified to have such a build. I'll copy and paste a comment I made summarizing stat caps for sf in a while. It probably reflects similar stats for other positions. So we can see a bit of the balance and unbalance.

So you think 25/25 instead of 15/25 which pretty much every other type has will be worth limiting 3pt/mid range/shoot of dribble/playmaking to 34/100? For comparison the other 4 types have 71/100 for playmaker, 50/100 slasher, 69/100 shot creator, sharpshooter 74/100. The only one that gives up near as much is slasher and it get a layup/dunk of 25/25.

Notice this. All the offensive types give you max in 2 towers and pretty much average in all the rest with one or two weaknesses. Lockdown defender makes you max in three (well strength one from max) and slightly above average in the only other non-offensive stat. Which was the ONLY way to make sure you couldn't very good any any offensive stat.

As 4 or 5 like that could get a chance in the NBA, a one or a two would be a role guy off the bench at best. In todays NBA there isn't room for guy with no offense in the 1-3 spot, NONE! Look at George Hill and he actually can shoot the three fairly well.

Not sure how they expect people to start playing defense in the park and such when you can't make a really good defensive player that isn't a black hole on offense.

# 73 Leasim96 @ 09/03/16 02:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip4ever
So you think 25/25 instead of 15/25 which pretty much every other type has will be worth limiting 3pt/mid range/shoot of dribble/playmaking to 34/100? For comparison the other 4 types have 71/100 for playmaker, 50/100 slasher, 69/100 shot creator, sharpshooter 74/100. The only one that gives up near as much is slasher and it get a layup/dunk of 25/25.

Notice this. All the offensive types give you max in 2 towers and pretty much average in all the rest with one or two weaknesses. Lockdown defender makes you max in three (well strength one from max) and slightly above average in the only other non-offensive stat. Which was the ONLY way to make sure you couldn't very good any any offensive stat.

As 4 or 5 like that could get a chance in the NBA, a one or a two would be a role guy off the bench at best. In todays NBA there isn't room for guy with no offense in the 1-3 spot, NONE!
Well first of all. Not sure if you saw the prelude trailer post where a member made a stat table with all the stats. Great post. Yes lockdown has a disadvantage in general stats but is 25 - 25 - 24 in defense, agility and strength. Not sure why you ignored what I said about balance. I'm not talking about superficial build balance. The game hasn't come out we don't know yet how effective each stat is. Because of previous years I am sure you are assuming being maxed in defense is not that great. In 2k16 it was nice but certainly not as effective as having good offensive stats. But we can't assume that's the case yet which is what I'm saying. For all we know a 13 in layup and 12 in post might be around a 70 overall. This is not including the boosts that one gets for height. Which boosts the inside game. With bronze badges possibly reaching 80 caliber inside game. Which is more than acceptable. To sum it up it all depends what each number represents in terms of stats - on the game play - and on how effective defense/strength etc is. For all we know lock down defender might be a very viable build. We are only assuming. Besides in my main answer I was disagreeing with sharpshooter being better than it superficially is. Lock down defender superficially indeed looks weaker in terms of stat balance.

# 74 Rip4ever @ 09/03/16 03:00 AM
Quote:
Well first of all. Not sure if you saw the prelude trailer post where a member made a stat table with all the stats. Great post. Yes lockdown has a disadvantage in general stats but is 25 - 25 - 24 in defense, agility and strength. Not sure why you ignored what I said about balance. I'm not talking about superficial build balance. The game hasn't come out we don't know yet how effective each stat is. Because of previous years I am sure you are assuming being maxed in defense is not that great. In 2k16 it was nice but certainly not as effective as having good offensive stats. But we can't assume that's the case yet which is what I'm saying. For all we know a 13 in layup and 12 in post might be around a 70 overall. This is not including the boosts that one gets for height. Which boosts the inside game. With bronze badges possibly reaching 80 caliber inside game. Which is more than acceptable. To sum it up it all depends what each number represents in terms of stats - on the game play - and on how effective defense/strength etc is. For all we know lock down defender might be a very viable build. We are only assuming. Besides in my main answer I was disagreeing with sharpshooter being better than it superficially is. Lock down defender superficially indeed looks weaker in terms of stat balance.

Yea that works great for a 6'10" PF who is a lockdown defender. But for a pg or sg who is 6'1 strength/rebounding and scoring in the post are all but useless stats. Which is why I said it should vary by position. What works for a lockdown defender in the post isn't what works best for a wing lockdown defender.

Kinda obvious to me that whoever made the caps was envisioning Deandre Jordan type defender when a Gary Payton type defender is what is lockdown at the point.

Kinda pointless to have a super good steal and the pickpocket badge when pretty much handle the ball like Dwight Howard. They will just take it right back from you.

# 75 ZBoo50 @ 09/03/16 08:51 AM
I agree that Lockdown Defender type should has better 3pt stats than only 7 bar..it could be 10 at least

# 76 monegames @ 09/03/16 09:50 AM
In previous 2k games the lowest your stats could be was about 60. Lets just assume that all stats start at 60 and max at 95. that means that each upgrade is about 1.4 points rounded. A lockdown defender at PG and SG with base height wingspan and weight would have potential max stats:

Shot off Dribble: 70
Dunk/Layup: 78
Mid Range: 75
3pt: 70
Post Score: 77
Agility: 95
Strength: 94
Rebound: 84
Playmaking: 73
Defense: 95

So with height weight and wingspan adjustments you might get 3pt to 75 and Mid Range to 80. That is respectable. Not all that great but respectable.

again this is all assumptions.

# 77 AT35 @ 09/03/16 01:28 PM
MyCareer is going to be awsome! I'm supre excited to play

# 78 basketballer0385 @ 09/03/16 01:31 PM
Is there anything about the olympics?

# 79 Kakkaroto @ 09/03/16 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by myathebee
I am on PC so...I am not going to be able to enjoy this ''The Prelude stuff''.
I felt entitled to spoil myself,so I already know most of this stuff lol.

This ''Prez'' nickname is gonna stick.....Aight. I will try my hardest to block it from my mind,like last year....President Of Basketball...WTF

I really like the dynamic duo thing..I am curious,how are they going make it work? Using two teammates at once? Wat?
You know 2k always leaves pc in the dust for some stupid reason, I just hope they address the cheating issue so that we can have actual parks full of people

# 80 AceDawg5 @ 09/03/16 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnbelievablyRAW
The only thing I want to know is whether our teammates are any good. All this auxiliary stuff will go untouched if I'm playing next to a star and the game makes him play terribly so I have to do everything on my own.
Idk why this isn't brought up more often. With the SIM nature that most of us want to play, I hate being forced to play hero ball. In 2k16 I was a two way PG for the Rockets. And in crunch time it was always "get the ball to Freq" while James Harden was 3 for 7 from the field. Granted I play My League the most so it's probably more noticeable in a single player mode that the AI takes a considerable drop off. But Harden was very rarely aggressive enough to be considered a go to guy. He was the Kukoc to my Jordan at best. Hopefully this is looked into.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.