Home
Feature Article
Six Ways to Make Madden More of a Simulation

Many football fans purchase Madden year after year with the lofty hopes that the game will mirror the actual sport they love as closely as possible. And while the folks at EA continue to take strides in the right direction in terms of making this dream a reality, there are still a number of areas in which improvements are needed if the game is ever going to measure up to what we see on the field on Sundays (and Mondays and Thursdays and every other day of the week NFL games are now held).

Line Play

Considering Madden has seen the defense attacking the offensive line with power moves and finesse moves for some time now, the novelty of this engine is definitely starting to wear off at this point and is in serious need of some fine tuning. The fact is that not only does this all-or-nothing proposition not really mimic the way it looks and feels when D-linemen try to burst through the line, it also isn’t really all that much fun.

What’s needed here then is a little more nuance. All you can do now is spam either the power or finesse button, and either it works or it doesn’t. But in real life, every battle in the trenches is an ongoing grudge match that’s not quite as cut and dry as Madden makes it out to be. What would make these interactions much more dynamic is perhaps a combination of buttons (or even a twisting the right analog stick perhaps for a spin move) that must be quickly performed in order to get through a block. These could be more or less difficult based on the skills of the players involved (or whether a double team is in place), and result in partial or full success in accordance with whether or not the combos were performed to completion.

Booth Reviews

Let’s face it: booth reviews are broken and have been broken for some time. Even if you do notice a play where the refs have ruled incorrectly on something like a completed pass on the sidelines or the spot of a ball and you feel like it’s a challenge you might be able to win, it’s pretty much a waste of a timeout to throw the challenge flag because the game can’t seem to recognize when a mistake has been made and change the ruling on the field. And even on the off chance that you do win a challenge, you may still find that the game can't recognize that the challenge was won and so the game just reverts back to the original call anyway.

While it would obviously be great if EA could figure out a way to make booth reviews accurately assess whether or not the original call was correct, it may be time we give up any hope of this aspect of the game ever being entirely acceptable and start turning these rulings over to the people.

I mean if these challenges are a mess anyway, let's get crazy! How great would it be if it were possible to take these challenged plays and have them decided by interested viewers on a dedicated Twitch page or somewhere within Madden itself? Sure, there are obviously technical hurdles to get over in order to make this happen, and yes, there are then almost certain to be trolls committed to making sure the call is never made correctly, but it would definitely add a new measure of excitement and uncertainty to every challenged play for both players and viewers alike.

Ball Physics

It must be said that EA seems to work every year on making the physics of the ball, especially when contacted by players, feel more realistic. But unfortunately, it still doesn’t appear as if they have nailed this important component of the game. This is particularly apparent on plays where your receiver has the ball batted out of his hands by a defender, as the ball will then often skyrocket into the air on a trajectory that’s as unpredictable as it is unrealistic. This often leads to more interceptions or a ball bouncing awkwardly off different players, and while these types of plays do happen in games in real life, they occur far more in Madden than you would see in the NFL.

Unfortunately, it’s not as if there’s any quick fix to an issue as complex as this. You would hope that as EA concentrates on replicating the movements of individual players through motion capture and the physics of how a tackler moving full speed in one direction impacts a ball carrier running in another, they would also put in the same kind of effort into accurately tracking how a football moves when its flight is interrupted by hands deflecting it or yanking it away from a would-be receiver. Furthermore, it would be nice to start seeing more balls that are bobbled by receivers before they gain full possession.

Flats Awareness

Every year in Madden we watch in horror as throws into the flat become an increasingly frustrating game of beating the clock. You try to get the ball out of the quarterback’s hands as quick as possible or risk having a receiver’s momentum carry him out of bounds after the catch. Of course, this can be avoided if you can hold off long enough for the receiver to stop along the sideline where he will patiently wait for the ball to be thrown to him, but it shouldn’t have to be this way. It’s pretty rare that you would ever see a receiver in the NFL catch a ball and then just lumber his way out of bounds without trying to turn it up-field and try to gain more yards, especially when a crucial first down may be at stake.

It should be entirely possible to have the game’s controls be responsive enough that a receiver can turn to look for more yards as soon as he has caught the ball. In fact, you’d think the game could be programmed to have receivers in the flat instinctively know how close they are to the sidelines and make it easier to have them slow their momentum and pivot up-field to pick up that first down. This becomes an even more important gameplay adjustment when considering how effective and frequently used Cover 3 is in Madden 17, which often leaves the defense vulnerable in the flat. However, they aren’t quite as vulnerable as they would be if users weren't able to rely on the receivers’ momentum carrying them out of bounds on their own and making it possible for the defense to get a stop without even really doing anything.

Fumbles

Fumbles are a part of football, and though they are often beyond your own control and just need to be accepted as a regular occurrence if the game is going to be true to life, it would be nice to see fumbles pursued and recovered by players in a manner that in any way resembled reality. While most fumbles in the NFL tend to lead to a clean scoop by a defensive player or a pile-up where it’s hard to determine who actually recovered the ball first, the ones in Madden are more likely to end in a bunch of incompetent players making a half-hearted attempt to pick up the ball, only to then lie down right beside it and have it picked up by someone else (eventually). It shouldn’t even matter that it’s a lineman trying to pick up the ball -- these are professional football players who have better ball skills than that.

Embracing The Unpredictable

Some things in football are simply out of your control, as mistakes happen and emotions will often get the best of players. This is why if Madden hopes to emulate life on the gridiron, there need to be events that go beyond anything for which you could have possibly planned (like questionable game management by a head coach, or Julian Edelman and Julio Jones being freaks). Some of this is already apparent with every rare holding or facemask penalty that gets called, but this should really only be the tip of the iceberg.

Since there’s an increased emphasis in football these days on blows to the head, it might be nice to see defensive backs flagged for head-hunting a wide receiver or a defensive lineman penalized for hitting a quarterback in the head. And while we’re on the subject, there aren’t nearly enough concussion injuries in the game to mimic what’s happening on a regular basis in real football. Or, what if players were assigned some sort of Short Fuse rating that could lead to them melting down in the middle of the game and getting an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty in the midst of a crucial drive?

If we really wanted the game to be supremely realistic, we might even want to include the occasional bad or fumbled snap that could happen at any moment to throw a wrench into your plans. Remember how Russell Wilson had his foot stepped on by one of his offensive lineman in the playoffs this year, resulting in an unfortunate safety when he tumbled backwards into his own end zone? Let’s put that in the game too and really strive for realism.

Granted, these last couple ideas may be a little too much reality for some players that don’t like having things happen that can’t be traced back to something they did on their own, but they are important to consider when asking ourselves just how much of a simulation we are really looking for in our sports video games.

Member Comments
# 21 Splice @ 02/13/17 11:15 PM
When you create a new coach, you should start in the prior year's offseason. No coach gets fired and replaced preseason week 1. There should be like story line options for draft and free agency. Choosing to keep that veteran player that got let go yet you loved so dearly. If you are a Rams head coach, you could pick between drafting Carson Wentz or Jared Goff. You could rewrite history. Etc.

Would also like to see more realistic draft classes. In every class I've had, there's always been a 80+ QB with quick or superstar development. That just isn't true.

# 22 avwhitechic @ 02/13/17 11:44 PM
a user -defined camera needs to return to Madden..the custom angles would definitely keep the game from going stale

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

# 23 mlb61 @ 02/14/17 12:11 AM
The most obvious and fundamental way to make Madden more simulation like is simple.
Play Coach Mode.

# 24 iAmSLASH @ 02/14/17 03:16 AM
Madden 18 needs (amount numerous of other things) a speed adjustment on the WR's routes. Madden has always had one speed when it comes to WR route running. Thats why the WR always run out of bounce when you throw it to him on that flat route. Smh

# 25 mlb61 @ 02/14/17 05:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by YRN
Y'all coach mode guys piss me off sometimes cause some of y'all love to say **** like this. How the hell is coach mode gonna magically fix the multitude of issues this game has?

Sent from my SM-G386W using Operation Sports mobile app
It doesn't fix all the problems but it makes the experience much less "arcade." Taking control of a player, pushing buttons, moving a stick around, etc. has nothing to do with simulating football. And it has precious little to do with simulating playing football. Some people love to bitch that the game is too "arcade" and not "sim" enough when their fundamental approach is a descendant of playing Pac-Man.

# 26 roadman @ 02/14/17 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by YRN
It still doesn't fix core gameplay, you sound really obnoxious right now.

Nah, not really.

A 2k developer once said once you put a controller into someone's hands, sim goes out the window.

# 27 timhere1970 @ 02/14/17 09:18 AM
Make players play to their ratings and make the ratings represent what happens in the nfl. Now it seems there is coding in the game to force outcomes/stats to give the illusion of sim instead of players playing to their capabilities.

# 28 cable guy @ 02/14/17 10:13 AM
- Player ratings matter. I think this year was a step in the right direction. I think it could be traits, that was the difference maker. Continue that process.
- QB play. Nuff said.There is a ton of suggestions on this board already. I could go on forever...
- Line interaction. Needs improvement. I don't think it's as bad as some, could use some attention to make it more realistic.
- Teams playing like their real life counterparts. This can be tied into smarter cpu ai. Bad teams just don't play as smart, and or the players are not good enough to adjudt. Good teams adjust. Key on our weapons. Utilize theirs.
- And of course separate the different crowds from offline cfm and MUT. The patches do not work well as one single update for all. Make it a choice at the very least. This is a necessity imo.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

# 29 woodjer @ 02/14/17 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by baconbits11
Great article, but I disagree with getting rid of challenges, this is a huge part of the NFL now. What should be done is get it FIXED! I hate to say this, but if the last competitor can get it right, with choices of what should be challenged and the game get it right more often than not (I don't hear anyone complaining much about what that game did with challenges), it can be done!
To be clear, I'm not necessarily saying that I don't want it in there. But if I can watch a replay that clearly shows the call was incorrect (mostly sideline catches) yet it doesn't get overturned, it's broken. Unfortunately, it's been that way for years and it's gotten to the point that I just don't challenge plays because it frustrates me and gives the appearance that things are fixed, especially when it happens late in the game.

If it stays in and we want sim, why can't I get some sort of replay to determine whether I should challenge? I get disabling the full tool (that would be too easy) but can't I just pick one angle and watch it again? Or give me a very limited amount of time to review it myself and make the decision. NFL coaches don't have to make the challenge call based on only seeing the real-time play.

Anyway...I guess my point is: If you're going to fix it, fix it. If not, get rid of it.

# 30 baconbits11 @ 02/14/17 10:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodjer
To be clear, I'm not necessarily saying that I don't want it in there. But if I can watch a replay that clearly shows the call was incorrect (mostly sideline catches) yet it doesn't get overturned, it's broken. Unfortunately, it's been that way for years and it's gotten to the point that I just don't challenge plays because it frustrates me and gives the appearance that things are fixed, especially when it happens late in the game.

If it stays in and we want sim, why can't I get some sort of replay to determine whether I should challenge? I get disabling the full tool (that would be too easy) but can't I just pick one angle and watch it again? Or give me a very limited amount of time to review it myself and make the decision. NFL coaches don't have to make the challenge call based on only seeing the real-time play.

Anyway...I guess my point is: If you're going to fix it, fix it. If not, get rid of it.
yes i agree allow user to view a replay for a limited time like the coaches in the booth do. You can kind of do this now with the in game replays

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk

# 31 roadman @ 02/14/17 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by YRN
"People love to bitch about the game not being sim, but your approach is a direct descendant of pacman" That ain't obnoxious? Sure when you're controlling it's not as sim as it could be but there are definitely things that can be fixed.

Eh, not when you come at someone who plays a style that you don't agree with, but this is starting to go off topic.

I'm not fond of MUT or DC, but I don't dis anyone playing that way.

# 32 mlb61 @ 02/14/17 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by YRN
"People love to bitch about the game not being sim, but your approach is a direct descendant of pacman" That ain't obnoxious? Sure when you're controlling it's not as sim as it could be but there are definitely things that can be fixed.

It's not kosher to change a person's post. You quote me as saying ". . . but your style. . . ."
However, I wrote ". . . but their fundamental style. . . ."

Doing that kind thing is worse than "sound[ing] really obnoxious." And you did it twice.

I don't know how you play the game, and don't really care. End of conversation.

# 33 ssportsgamer2010 @ 03/07/17 09:27 AM
I totally agree with passes to the flats! That's so frustrating.

# 34 Haze88 @ 03/11/17 12:18 AM
How about actual HFA? As a Pats fan I dread 2 places, Mile High and Miami. The altitude and humidity should have an effect on the road team in these games. False starts should be more frequent in Seattle little things like that. Also non automatic CPU kickers. Barring blocks and the inane 60 yarders the CPU is 100% from about 55 and in

# 35 lolitstevie @ 03/14/17 08:21 PM
What is up with the tackling? Apparently it's physics based, however when a guy loses all the bones in his legs and collapses after contact that doesn't seem physics based to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

# 36 Easy_Duhz_it_ @ 03/23/17 01:47 PM
Madden has had the same issues for over 10 years. Every year we get nothing from the devs but "This year the focus is on the running game" or "this year the focus is on defense" when we should be getting a game that's focused on every aspect of the NFL. From the passing to the running to the defense to the commentary to the overall presentation. It just feels like every year is a roster update with no real changes. In my opinion, NFL 2K5 is STILL the most complete football ever made.

# 37 SplitSecond703 @ 04/29/17 02:16 AM
They need to make the relocation of a team better, make it customizable like the old NCAA Football titles, when you create your own school, uniforms, colors, stadiums, etc. Or just make it as good as NBA 2K17 is with the expansion team.

# 38 SplitSecond703 @ 04/29/17 02:24 AM
I think as far as the challenges goes, they should give you to choose what you want to challenge like NFL 2k.

# 39 Cardot @ 05/02/17 03:23 PM
As an offline player, I have never liked replay challenges in any football game... ever (2k included). I would like the OPTION to turn them off all together. They tend to be very predictable, thus there is no suspense and it is just a waste of time. And it doesn't help that it seems 99% of the decisions go the CPU's way.

# 40 ehh @ 05/02/17 03:40 PM
Would really like to see better situational play calling/awareness from the CPU especially on defense. In addition to adjusting how easily WRs beat press coverage, it's frustrating to see how often the CPU plays press coverage against my elite WR when they have no help over the top. Bomb TDs are still too easy and frequent even after the last patch. This gets even more frustrating when it's a situation like 3rd and 20.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.