Home
Feature Article
Everybody's a Critic: The Show '08 Edition

We've posted our review for the PlayStation 3 version of MLB '08: The Show, but what did some other critics have to say about the game?

GameAlmighty (9.7/10)
: What rounds out the on field experience is what lies just off of it, the fans. They move and react to the actions of the game like a real crowd. While there are a few scattered doubles of people in the stands, that can be overlooked in the face of the immense detail put into each and every one of them. The crowd will play with beach balls in the stands, and will dive for a ball that comes in their direction.

Game Informer (8.5/10): The new Road to the Show showcases a few fun innovations, such as having to read signs from the third base coach, but its true strength lies in the polish and balance. In years past, player progress was based solely on completing goals that often required an all-star like performance. This year, nearly every success on the mound, at the plate, or in the field contributes to your development. Skill progression feels more natural, and is not tied to arbitrary challenges. It also feels like it moves faster, and you are always gaining momentum. If you have the game set to focus only on your player’s appearances, pre-game loading is lengthy, but it is better than last season.

G4 TV (3/5): Last year’s game felt a little bit rushed. MLB 08 The Show improves on some of the problems apparent in last years version while updating the gameplay to make the experience more realistic. It’s an exact baseball sim. You can’t just swing away at every pitch and expect to get on base. The game is the pretty much the same as last year, but with a more updated roster. If you purchased last year’s title, this game is not worth forking over another 60 bucks for the same experience.

FullPitchCount (NR): Fielding and base running remain the same from ‘07 which is just fine. With an errors slider, the gamer can tweak to fielding results to his desired level. Fielding is smooth, throws can go off line, and there is a difference of throwing with Ichiro than throwing with Johnny Damon. Base running is executed in the same way as in years past with the option to choose the classic system or the new one unveiled last year. Either system is quite responsive and is easy to master. One small issue with base running could be the ease of stealing bases. It seems a bit too easy and I have not found the magical slider combination yet. It’s not something that is major, but it is a loose end in such a well rounded game.

IGN (8.7/10): ...It can be said that batters do get a bit more love in MLB '08 thanks to the included Progressive Batting Performance system. Found within Road to the Show, Season and Franchise mode, this feature tracks the slumps or hot streaks that batters are prone to during a season and ranks them with five easy to understand color icons. So if a player strikes out a lot or doesn't manage to get on base within a series or two, you'll see a mild contact penalty show up in the form of a dark blue icon with arrows pointing down. That indicates that they're not very confident in either their contact or power swing, and need some solid at bats to pull themselves out of their funk. On the other hand, if every ball thrown at you is hit solidly, you'll notice a red icon with arrows pointing up, representing that your player has the hot bat and is getting a contact bonus. What's nice about this feature is that while it doesn't unbalance the gameplay with the bonuses or penalties, it feels like it accurately represents how players are performing at the plate.

GameTap (9/10): So with all this going for MLB 08, what's not to like? Not much, but there are a few issues that keep this game from perfection. My main complaint is player collision, or the lack thereof. I've seen a right fielder run through my center fielder and a base runner charge through my first baseman. I also saw an instance where a player turned and started yelling at the ump; only thing is, the ump was further up the line than where the player was screaming, so it looked like he was one of those crazy people you see at the bus stop who's having a heated conversation with himself over his lost quarter. Sure, it's not that big of a deal, but when a game is based so much in reality and then the characters pull a Patrick Swayze and ghost through one another, it's enough to bring you out of the experience and remind you that what you're playing is anything but real.

Thankfully, those instances are so few and far between that what you'll remember, what you'll be telling friends about as they roll their eyes at your new videogame obsession, are the times when you saw Johnny Damon reach out for a ball, only to have it kick off the heel of his glove as he tucked into a barrel roll, recovered, picked up the ball and threw the runner out at second. The time David Wright threw the batter out from his knees one play, from his stomach the next. The time Brad Hawpe adjusted his cup before belting a home run (yes, I'm going there).

And while some people might find Hawpe's adjustment uncalled for, to baseball gamers, it's something to celebrate--because the devil's in the details, and MLB 08 is the most sinful sports game around.

Member Comments
# 1 Skyboxer @ 03/13/08 10:37 AM
Looks good everyone except G4(Which I stopped watching them a year or so ago when I found out they caused brain damage) basically came to around the same feelings I have. G4 simply has no idea and it's obvious they played maybe an inning or 2 just from the statement "If you purchased last year’s title, this game is not worth forking over another 60 bucks for the same experience" It's a totally different experience from graphics to tons more animations. Thier not happy unless they are reviewing We "heart" Katamari...

# 2 jsg @ 03/13/08 10:56 AM
gotta love g4 and their great reviews, lol

# 3 Behindshadows @ 03/13/08 11:19 AM
G4 doesn't know a thing about sports games. The only episode I ever liked from them. Was when Morgan and whats his name, clowned EA Sports for copy stuff from ESPN 2k5 and putting it in Madden 08. That episode has me cracking up!

Other than that, they suck when it comes to rating sports games. They are too bias and unknowledgeable at times.

# 4 coffeeholic @ 03/13/08 11:37 AM
I don't watch that junkola for the simple reasons they:
A.Don't like a game unless Super mario is in it or doesn't have a Wiimote control or whatever it's called.
B.Think every game review should include a comedy sketch rather than in-depth facts or opinions.
C.They could very well be biased against sports games,this option is very likely and a strong one.
Conclusion: I could give a flying hoot as to whether a game show likes a certain game or not. The only thing that bothers me,is that we really don't have a decent show on tv that I know of that caters to real gamers. Thank God for websites like this.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.