Home
Feature Article
Don King Presents: Prizefighter Interview

With the help of our readers and 2K Sports, we had an opportunity to interview Denby Grace, Producer for Don King Presents: Prizefighter.

Are there stoppages for cuts or other injuries? How does that affect the match? After each round, when the boxers head to their respective corners, what are we able to do at that time?

In the game, boxers do get facial swelling and bruising, this affects your health and stamina which in turn affects your ability to fight. Between rounds the player rests and does what a boxers does between rounds, catches their breath, gets cleaned up, and takes in advice from the corner team.

How many different modes and difficulties are there in the game? Are there any sliders or can we adjust ratings for the boxers?

There are 3 main difficulty settings that govern the entire game (exhibition and career) and then with that each boxer has a set of 4 visible stats that dictate their power, hand speed, foot work, etc. You cannot adjust your opponent’s stats or licensed fighters stats, though during the career mode you can train your boxer to improve aspects of their abilities.

In a 12 round boxing match, there are roughly 1,000 punches thrown. How accurate is the punch count in Prizefighter?

We’ve done our study and research, so it’s fairly accurate, though at the end of the day, of course it’s up to the players as to how many actual punches are thrown in the ring.

A lot of us like to create boxers and have the ability to recreate anyone. How many players can be created and what options are available to us?

We feel the create a boxer in Don King Presents Prizefighter is one of the most comprehensive in any sports game seen to date. There are 120 different sliders that adjust how your player looks, and we are fairly confident people can make some good representations of themselves in the game. Also, there is an extensive amount of licensed apparel for you to outfit your boxer with including: gloves, shorts, shoes, and the walk in robe. Furthermore, we allow people to select their walk-in music so there is a real high level of customization available to gamers in Don King Presents Prizefighter.

In regards to fighting style, will you have to plan and react to a new Don King Presents Prizefighter strategy for each fight, or will you be able to use the same strategy over and over again?

We really focused on developing realistic AI “personalities” for the game; different opponents will fight in a manner of different styles and strategies, therefore you won’t be able to use the strategy over and over again. Like in real life to be a good boxer you are going to need to be able to adapt and change your style to be as effective as possible against the various opponents you will encounter.

Will a fighter's left and right hands have different power for each? For example, will the right hook cause more damage than a left?

Absolutely, this is affected very much by the boxer’s stance as well.

What are the attributes that each fighter is measured in? Could you list and explain some of them?

As mentioned prior, we have 4 main statistics that are displayed to the player, these are as follows:
Stamina – to gauge the fitness level, and how long before the boxer start blowing air, moving, and swinging much slower.
Strength – measuring how much power is behind those punches.
Agility – this equates to speed and movement on your legs, and how fast the boxers can get around the ring.
Dexterity – directly links to your boxers hand speed.

What types of training will we have in career mode? How deep will career mode be? What should we be looking forward to?

So two questions here:
Firstly training, there are 5 different training games (Jump Rope, Speed Bag, Heavy Bag, Focus Mitts and Shuttle Run) within Don King Presents Prizefighter, as working out will increase a players stats in certain areas, some focus on strength and power whilst others on speed. The different training games are mini games in their own right and a lot of fun, and we think fans will have a good time with them.

As for the Career mode, it will definitely offer our dedicated fans an extremely deep and immersive experience. The player’s story is told via an exciting sports documentary that offers a retrospective look at the player’s career; from the streets of Atlantic City to the bright lights of Vegas. This documentary is told to the player by a variety of stars from the boxing world: Don King, Larry Holmes, and Joe Calzaghe to name a few. We’ve found that this is a really powerful additional piece of motivation for the player.

Once in their home gym, the players are able to liaise with their promoter and trainer to pick and chose what fights they want to take, train accordingly for their upcoming fight, and deal with temptations and challenges that come their way.

Could you give us examples of the "Street Fighter Punching Mechanic"? Is it a button combo that generates a particular punch? Will we have the ability to turn this option off?

In previews we have compared the game to being more Street Fighter than Fight Night, by that we mean the game relies on the face buttons rather than the analog stick. The game is more about throwing combinations and movement rather than those single haymakers. So no real Street Fighter mechanic, rather we used the term as an analogy more than anything else.

Is the jab more powerful than Fight Night 3? Will I be able to hold them off a little bit with a stiff jab?

We think the game mechanics in the ring are much more realistic than previous boxing games. Players will be able to use many different strategies; including creating different angles, step arounds, and using the stiff jab to keep them at arms length, amongst many other options.

In watching some of the video clips that have surfaced online, we have to ask about the collision detection, has it been cleaned up?

The videos were created from early versions of the game, and we’ve done a lot of work since to ensure to we provide an authentic and entertaining boxing experience available for our fans, and they can ultimately be the judge after they play.

Are there flash KO's and a realistic number of fights going to the judges?

Yes, there are flash KO’s and fights often do go to the judges. Players will find when people fight though, they tend to go toe to toe a little more than in real life. After all, in video games, you have less to lose, but as I keep mentioning the overall package is a lot more realistic and features more integrity than other boxing games. So we think this is an experience boxing fans will be really happy with.

Don King Presents: Prizefighter Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Complex @ 06/04/08 09:46 AM
Mixed bag of answers. Guess the proof will bein the pudding.

# 2 fistofrage @ 06/04/08 10:43 AM
Thanks Steve.

So there are no refereee stoppages for cuts or injuries. Its easy enough to read between the lines there.

Only 4 attributes?

I have this game preordered, but this does not seem promising at all.

# 3 Complex @ 06/04/08 12:30 PM
Positive

Dexterity and Agility - I like the idea of having separate items for feet and hands.

Negative

Limited Training - Has anyone every heard of Sparring?

# 4 allBthere @ 06/04/08 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex
Positive

Dexterity and Agility - I like the idea of having separate items for feet and hands.

Negative

Limited Training - Has anyone every heard of Sparring?
I actually don't like sparring. You have amature bouts, and other training, I like to save the boxing for the real deal - not sure if I'm of minority opinion here though.

I like having different items too also....the more the better, it would make for a wide range of boxing opponents and created guys.

# 5 Complex @ 06/04/08 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
I actually don't like sparring. You have amature bouts, and other training, I like to save the boxing for the real deal - not sure if I'm of minority opinion here though.

I like having different items too also....the more the better, it would make for a wide range of boxing opponents and created guys.
To me sparring could be the single most important feature in this game. Remember NBA Street 3 where you got a nickname based on how you played? What if sparring generated strengths based on how you performed. Block a lot, defense goes up. land a lot accruaracy goes up. jab often, jab strength goes up.

# 6 fistofrage @ 06/04/08 01:41 PM
I can't understand this game having no stoppages. I was thinking about it and the Sim factor has to drop by at least 2 because of it.

If I had to review this game, it already would be docked a few points for no open career mode and no Ref SToppages. It would be like Madden taking out Franchise Mode & injuries. Oh wait, I get it thats All Pro Football by 2k Sports.........Thats how they roll.

# 7 ChaseB @ 06/04/08 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon22
Thanks, Steve
Kudos to the forum members for providing good questions.

# 8 JayBee74 @ 06/04/08 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon22
What was everyones worry about the game? For me, I think the problem was the collision detection and everything else was minor. Now that this was fixed it should be a decent game. Some punch's are not so smooth, but that can be overlooked if it simulates pretty well.
I totally agree but obviously the "proof will be in the pudding". The jab's power question was side stepped a little, but I have a feeling the right (or left) cross will be invaluable in this game, and that foot position will be a big factor on the impact of this and other power punches. I like the fact that the right and left hands have different levels of power but will that rating be for a particular punch (ex.,LEFT HOOK) or just the right and left hand? Pretty vague about between round activity. I'm assuming you can act as your cutman or not?? No stoppages and minor training gripes are not even close to being a deal killer for me. Overall the interview has really hyped me for this game, so I'll preorder today or tomorrow.

# 9 allBthere @ 06/04/08 05:13 PM
Quote:
To me sparring could be the single most important feature in this game. Remember NBA Street 3 where you got a nickname based on how you played? What if sparring generated strengths based on how you performed. Block a lot, defense goes up. land a lot accruaracy goes up. jab often, jab strength goes up.
what you just described would be great, however i've not seen that in a boxing game. Usually it's sparring that has absolutely no impact on your boxer whatsoever - I'm pretty sure one of the fight nights you could spar, but it was pointless.

In otherwords, you have a great idea there, but sparing without your idea takes away any meaning a sparring mode would have. So throwing in a sparring mode that has no effect isn't worth it ( and i would never use it )

# 10 allBthere @ 06/04/08 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
I totally agree but obviously the "proof will be in the pudding". The jab's power question was side stepped a little, but I have a feeling the right (or left) cross will be invaluable in this game, and that foot position will be a big factor on the impact of this and other power punches. I like the fact that the right and left hands have different levels of power but will that rating be for a particular punch (ex.,LEFT HOOK) or just the right and left hand? Pretty vague about between round activity. I'm assuming you can act as your cutman or not?? No stoppages and minor training gripes are not even close to being a deal killer for me. Overall the interview has really hyped me for this game, so I'll preorder today or tomorrow.
the only game i can remember that has what you're talking about was 'boxing legends of the ring' for genesis. BUT, even in that game the max rating for power in the left hand was never as high as the max for a right hand, and a hook couldn't be maxed higher than a maxed uppercut.

My best punch is a left hook, and i can say with certainty that my uppercuts are much weaker than a cross/hook. What is the facisnation with games putting the uppercut as the 'be all end all' ?a. I'd love to be able to choose (or work towards) some punches (left or right) being better than others. Kelly pavlik's money shot is his right cross without any doubt, ...we should be able to emulate that in games. Also it would be nice to throw punches during a match w/ varying degrees of power eg. the change-up and the fastball.

about uppercuts; who else besides tyson had an uppercut as they biggest weapon? I would say MOST boxers have the cross as their most powerful punch.

# 11 Vast @ 06/04/08 05:50 PM
Quote:
the only game i can remember that has what you're talking about was 'boxing legends of the ring' for genesis. BUT, even in that game the max rating for power in the left hand was never as high as the max for a right hand, and a hook couldn't be maxed higher than a maxed uppercut.

My best punch is a left hook, and i can say with certainty that my uppercuts are much weaker than a cross/hook. What is the facisnation with games putting the uppercut as the 'be all end all' ?a. I'd love to be able to choose (or work towards) some punches (left or right) being better than others. Kelly pavlik's money shot is his right cross without any doubt, ...we should be able to emulate that in games. Also it would be nice to throw punches during a match w/ varying degrees of power eg. the change-up and the fastball.

about uppercuts; who else besides tyson had an uppercut as they biggest weapon? I would say MOST boxers have the cross as their most powerful punch.
Co-sign. My right cross can take someones head off. The uppercut is a powerful punch but it should have absolutely no range. These games make landing an uppercut as easy as landing a jab.

# 12 JayBee74 @ 06/04/08 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vast
Co-sign. My right cross can take someones head off. The uppercut is a powerful punch but it should have absolutely no range. These games make landing an uppercut as easy as landing a jab.
I'm assuming you are talking about YOUR HUMAN Right Cross. The cross is the easiest of all the power punches to throw and you and allBthere make good points about the potency of uppercuts in video games. That's one reason I hope the power ratings are for specific punches rather than the left or right hand.

# 13 Chibi @ 06/05/08 12:11 AM
"How many boxers can players create?"
"We have lots of options available for creating players!"

The fact that they seem to be so unwilling to deviate from press release answers just dampens my already flagging enthusiasm for this game even further.

# 14 ThaPeeplz @ 06/05/08 08:33 AM
Man, the biggest mistake they made was not including a real career mode. I'm still disappointed by this canned story mode. On the other hand, one of the answers did mention that in between fights you can pick what fights you want, so it seems that you might be able to play through the career(story) more than once hopefully. Choosing different fights each time. Still not as open as a career mode would be, but it might generate SOME replay value. As far as the videos, the punches still look stiff and weak. Those overexaggerated animations when punches connect dont make it seem like the punches are powerful, it just looks overexaggerated when they hit each other. Looks like it needs polish. We'll see. I honestly think we'll be waiting on the next prizefighter or FNround4 for a better boxing game.

# 15 JayBee74 @ 06/05/08 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chibi
"How many boxers can players create?"
"We have lots of options available for creating players!"

The fact that they seem to be so unwilling to deviate from press release answers just dampens my already flagging enthusiasm for this game even further.
The actual question and answer:
A lot of us like to create boxers and have the ability to recreate anyone. How many players can be created and what options are available to us?

"We feel the create a boxer in Don King Presents Prizefighter is one of the most comprehensive in any sports game seen to date. There are 120 different sliders that adjust how your player looks, and we are fairly confident people can make some good representations of themselves in the game. Also, there is an extensive amount of licensed apparel for you to outfit your boxer with including: gloves, shorts, shoes, and the walk in robe. Furthermore, we allow people to select their walk-in music so there is a real high level of customization available to gamers in Don King Presents Prizefighter"

Kind of loose paraphrasing there Chibi. That's the Reader's Digest condensed version of the Reader's Digest condensed version. That being said it appears that the producer probably didn't know how many fighters could be created. I suspect all created fighters have to originate in career mode, and that you will definitely be able to create several.

# 16 Complex @ 06/05/08 12:07 PM
Quote:
what you just described would be great, however i've not seen that in a boxing game. Usually it's sparring that has absolutely no impact on your boxer whatsoever - I'm pretty sure one of the fight nights you could spar, but it was pointless.

In otherwords, you have a great idea there, but sparing without your idea takes away any meaning a sparring mode would have. So throwing in a sparring mode that has no effect isn't worth it ( and i would never use it )
Agreed. I would love to have sparring MATTER. Maybe you two types of sparring for one minute apiece. Offense and Defense. In defense you can not punch only block, slip, duck, or move out of the way. and based on how much of what you do in that minute it improves that category up to a capped amount for your fighter.

Same on offense, do you jab often, striaght right, hook, to the body, head, clinch .........award points based on what YOU do.

# 17 JayBee74 @ 06/05/08 12:14 PM
Quote:
Agreed. I would love to have sparring MATTER. Maybe you two types of sparring for one minute apiece. Offense and Defense. In defense you can not punch only block, slip, duck, or move out of the way. and based on how much of what you do in that minute it improves that category up to a capped amount for your fighter.

Same on offense, do you jab often, striaght right, hook, to the body, head, clinch .........award points based on what YOU do.
I'd actually be in favor of a comprehensive sparring mode along the lines that you are describing weighing 50-70 percent of your total training.

# 18 allBthere @ 06/05/08 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee74
I'd actually be in favor of a comprehensive sparring mode along the lines that you are describing weighing 50-70 percent of your total training.
I want it all! lol...like diet, and spot pads w/ a trainer that looks like he's wearing a pregnant suit lol..

I wouldn't want too much actual sparring or 70% though, since it's the same gameplay mechanic as the actual fight. I would be more okay with it if you throw in the spot pads doing specific combinations that get more complicated thrwoing in slipping and bobbing/weaving.
I want a lot of text-sim style things like organizing your training (much of which you don't actually control) like eating; i don't want a fork to mouth minigame lol...and jogging/running etc...I want it to be really complicated and immersive so that by the time you actually have to fight, it really becomes a big deal. Someting you can strategize for and have a plan A and B, and make it intesnse and dangerous like a real boxing match.

We are no where near this type of game.

to re-create boxing you need to get extremely detail-orientated. A jab must have hundreds of possible outcomes, where in another sport, a basic function doesn't need as many. Like football for example. Since there are more aspects/players to the game, the tiny details aren't as important, but in boxing since punching is the main component and the sport doesn't have as many dimensions, rules and variables (uprights, chain gang, reviews, play-calling, huddles, tackles, touchdowns, etc.) ...you really have to get down to rediculous levels of detail for the boxing to be sim.

We aren't close enough yet to mimmicing real life to do this at this time which is why most boxing games are let-downs now. The first fight night was great imo, but now we're in a grey-zone where we see flashes of reality/greatness, but it just makes the mediocre aspect all the more dissapointing.

sorry for the major tangent.

# 19 Ceothachosen1 @ 06/05/08 12:50 PM
wow he ducked all the questions

# 20 JayBee74 @ 06/05/08 02:18 PM
Quote:
We aren't close enough yet to mimmicing real life to do this at this time which is why most boxing games are let-downs now. The first fight night was great imo, but now we're in a grey-zone where we see flashes of reality/greatness, but it just makes the mediocre aspect all the more dissapointing.

sorry for the major tangent.
Hmmm.., you liked the first FN a lot better than me. Don't exactly understand what many expected out of Prizefighter, but considering FN 1 didn't even have the ability for you to punch while moving, while PF allows you to utilize foot movement for varied results, I'd bet dollars to dough nuts that it's a superior game.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.