Home
Feature Article
Making the Jump to a PS3 and The Show

Sometimes things just go your way: the planets align, fate smiles, and the ball takes a lucky bounce. Such was the case for me last week. The combination of a government stimulus check, a sweet deal from Walmart , approval for a Sony credit card, and catching my wife on a good day allowed me to purchase a PS3. I wasn't looking for a new system: I've owned the Xbox 360 since launch, and we got a Wii for Christmas. Mainly, since the format war ended, I've been itching for a Blu-Ray player. My wife mocks my self-given title of "early adopter."

Anyway, with the plans in place to purchase a PS3 primarily as a Blu-Ray device, being able to play exclusive games was something of a bonus. Immediately, I thought of MLB 08: The Show. I actually purchased it before I had the PS3 in hand, and I used MLB2k8 (for the 360) as a trade in down payment.

This actually was a fairly easy decision. Since my annual baseball fever died down a few weeks after opening day, MLB2k8 did nothing for me but collect dust. In fact, I ended up playing The Bigs more often than 2k8, even with its out-of-date rosters and the over-the-top gameplay. During this time, I began to realize that the baseball simulation I preordered for $60 was being superseded by an arcade title I found in the bargain bin at $15. I asked myself "How did I get to this point?"

I probably have owned every version of 2k/World Series Baseball dating back to the Dreamcast. In fact, the first World Series on the Xbox was a "system seller" for me. But in the past 3 years, the game finally started to feel stale to me. Despite innovations like the new pitching scheme, card collecting (which I actually liked), and the World Baseball Classic mode, I felt like I was paying for an annual roster and bug update. Recycled commentary, a GM mode that only got a front end face lift each year, and numerous sloppy glitches turned this series from a reason to buy a system to an expensive coaster in a fancy box. Additionally, I think many would agree that 2k8 is the worst game of 2k's baseball line up (leaving out the DS-only version). Top all of this off with MLB exclusivity, and as an Xbox/Wii owner, I had no other choice for a true baseball sim. Power Pros was a great title, and The Bigs was a lot of fun, but neithersatisfied my itch for realistic baseball.

All of this led me to the purchase of MLB 08:The Show. I have absolutely no experience with this series, other than what information I've gathered from the forums and reviews. It's heralded as the best console baseball game of this generation, and after "playing the hell out of it" (that phrase needs to seriously be put on OS t-shirts) for the past week, I don't feel like I'm being hasty in agreeing with that sentiment.

Where 2k8 fell flat, The Show shines. Despite not having the big names from Fox or ESPN, the commentary feels much more natural and is certainly less repetitive. I can't tell you how many times in the first week of playing 2k8 that I heard about PFP , pitcher's fielding practice. The presentation is slick and polished--no skipping when cutting to a replay. The joy of playing Road to the Show offers much more replay that trying to collect cards; it's like an entire second game unto itself. Even minor things, like the inclusion of 2007 highlights as both the opening movie and menu sounds, beat the pants off of 2k8's static picture of Reyes and strange indie-rock soundtrack (which is fine by itself, but doesn't make me think baseball.) I like that I can download sliders from other users; too bad 2k8 didn't have 2kshare. In fact, I was surprised that, without messing with the sliders, I was able to draw a walk in The Show.

MLB '08: The Show features some impressive realistic touches.

Some may argue that 2k8 has features The Show is missing. So I can't import stadium music--2k8's custom music caused my system to lock up on numerous occasions anyway. I'm not much of an online player, so the differences there don't matter that much to me. And though I like the card collecting, after a few months of playing, I wasn't able to put together a team while staying under the "salary cap." 2k8's pitching mechanic is pretty cool, but can be inconsistent and eventually gets as repetitive as a meter. Pressing a button may not be as flashy or as innovative as the trendy analogue-only controls, but it gets the job done.

Finally, I can't describe this very well, but The Show just feels more like baseball. The atmosphere of the entire game, not just while playing, exudes baseball much better than any "next gen" 2k baseball game. It's apparent the developers have a profound appreciation of baseball--the same way I feel when I hear Harry Kalas call a game on the radio or go to the park in person.

So where does that leave the PS3 in my house, a place that's always been home to Xbox's and Nintendos, never Sony gaming systems? Well, it's primary function will still be to play Blu-Rays. If a game comes out on more than one system, I probably will still grab the 360 version for the achievements and because most of my friends are on Live. But unless something significant happens in the MLB 2k camp, I can only see myself buying The Show from now on.

Will The Show's cracks start to show after a few months of gameplay? Probably, but if they do, at least it's because I'm still playing it. There was nothing drawing me back to 2k8. If you are a true baseball fan and owner of a 360, now's the time to consider making The Show sell you a PS3. The government wants you to spend this "free" money, there are some great deals out there, and the pennant races are starting to heat up as we move toward the All-star break. Sometimes things just go your way and the baseball takes a lucky bounce.

Member Comments
# 1 dodgerblue @ 06/07/08 12:46 PM
"i think many would agree that 2k8 is the worst game of 2k's baseball line up"

2k6 is much worse imo. But there is no question 2k8 is a disappointment after it looked like 2k7 was so close. Because of what is going on with 2k now, it looks like the show is the only logical choice for next year.

# 2 RaychelSnr @ 06/07/08 01:35 PM
2k6 was atrocious for sure....I'd say at this point, 2k8 was the most disappointing game this year thus far (especially since I named it as such). Really, the hype surrounding the game had most expecting it to be able to compete with The Show, instead it wasn't even close. I think, if anything, it shows just how bad exclusive licenses suck

# 3 dodgerblue @ 06/07/08 01:44 PM
Yep. Couldn't agree more about the exclusive license comment. Instead of improving their games to compete, EA (football) and 2k (baseball) bought the rights. So in the end, the company that was weakest in making the games became the only choice. Thankfully sony gives everyone with a ps3 an option and madden seems to be improving.

on another note, crazy weather in the plains, amazing avatar.

# 4 RaychelSnr @ 06/07/08 01:48 PM
Yeah, I don't know if you can really equate 2k's failure to just the exclusive license though. I think a lot of it really has to do with just poor design all around and poor development cycle management which includes QA. That is the same thing that I believe has hampered Madden the past few years. Madden last year would have been a pretty good game sans the bugs that were shipped with it. It just amazes me how some games can ship with certain bugs, the bugs in MLB 2k8 are of no exception.

# 5 Hammerhunker @ 06/07/08 02:20 PM
I need to emphasize the comment on 2k7 showing promise...it sure did, post patch. What in the heck happened? Ben Brinkman should be ashamed of himself for putting his name front and center with this game's current state. Listening to his interviews he made this game sound as if it had truly arrived. I feel it is no better than one of the old unlicensed hack games that came out on the old PS1.

The thesis of this article has been well documented throughout these boards. Most people that have purchased a PS3 with only the Show in mind have definitely not been disappointed with the purchase.

Good article.

# 6 CPRoark @ 06/07/08 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgerblue
"i think many would agree that 2k8 is the worst game of 2k's baseball line up"

2k6 is much worse imo. But there is no question 2k8 is a disappointment after it looked like 2k7 was so close. Because of what is going on with 2k now, it looks like the show is the only logical choice for next year.
Dodgerblue,

You are right, 2k6 was probably worse. I meant 2k8 is the worst game in 2k's current lineup, including The Bigs and PowerPros.

However, I agree that 2k8 was probably the most disappointing.

# 7 bigwill33 @ 06/07/08 04:01 PM
Good article, I too wish I could have got this game, but could not justify purchasing a whole other system just yet.

Funny how I took so much heat for disliking 2k and now it is pretty widely disliked.

# 8 ndeezlo @ 06/07/08 04:07 PM
Proofreading is fun...

# 9 dodgerblue @ 06/07/08 06:14 PM
No sweat CPR. Discussing which version of 2k baseball is best for next gen is a little like discussing which iteration of nba live is best... or debating which LA Clippers team is the best over the years- pretty pointless. Good article, the show is the way to go for sure.

# 10 PaperLantern @ 06/07/08 08:18 PM
The thing is, I don't want to pay around $650 just so I can get solid baseball game. I;d gladly pay $70 or even $80 to play this game on Xbox 360, but I don't think one game would persuade me to purchase a brand new console.

I'll just wait until Xbox gets a good baseball series or 2k makes a better baseball game.

# 11 CPRoark @ 06/07/08 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperLantern
The thing is, I don't want to pay around $650 just so I can get solid baseball game. I;d gladly pay $70 or even $80 to play this game on Xbox 360, but I don't think one game would persuade me to purchase a brand new console.

I'll just wait until Xbox gets a good baseball series or 2k makes a better baseball game.
PaperLantern, I hear you. If it weren't for all of the things I mentioned at the beginning of the article, I'd never have gotten the Ps3 or MLB. Actually, I'm still a little surprised that it worked out.

Check out the 5/30 links for the Walmart deal. Basically, you get a $100 gift card back. That works for me--we do a lot of grocery shopping there. I also used a Sony card that gives you another $100 back on your first purchase, as long as it's over $299. So I paid a total of $199 (399-200) for the system and another 30 for the game (used copy minus the trade in). If you could get a BlueRay player and a great baseball game for $230, does that sound better?

Don't worry...I don't make money from Sony or Walmart. But if it does help someone enjoy a baseball game, it's worth my time spreading the word.

# 12 frbc @ 06/07/08 11:13 PM
The PS3 has become more of an option with games like The Show. On the whole, however, sports games have lagged significantly behind the XBOX 360 in terms of graphics. This year's "Show" was an exception. The graphics were crisp and next gen--I would argue better than MLB 2K8 on the 360. However, to date, EA Sports games look more like a PS2 and a half than a PS3, with a lot of lag, tear lines, etc. Hopefully, the next wave of PS3 games from EA will finally take advantage of the fabled PS3 capabilities.

# 13 bighurt27 @ 06/08/08 04:19 AM
I also took the plunge a couple of months back and got a PS3 mainly for The Show (kept my 360 too). Post patch 2k8 plays a decent game of baseball but The Show pretty much blows it away in every aspect. It was worth the $$ and games like Uncharted, Resistance, and Heavenly Sword keep me playing it.

# 14 EnigmaNemesis @ 06/08/08 12:17 PM
All I know is ... I loved MVP 05 on the PC ... I have not played a game close to that since MLB 06: The Show ... I had it for the PSP, and the darn PSP version looked better and had far better animations than 2K6 for the 360.

I ran out and re-bought a slim PS2 just to get the PS2 version. Then came 2K7 on the 360, which showed a LOT of promise, and it held me over well last year.

But now came this little gem called MLB 08: The Show for the PS3. And I was so jonesin' for a baseball game, after not enjoying the 2K8 Demo on the 360, I promptly ran to the store, shelled out the cash for the PS3 and The Show. And I am glad I did. Never looking back now. These guys just know baseball. And to think, it will only get better next year.

Love the game... it is all I play EVERY day, on the PS3 and PSP... they need to shorten the load times on the PSP version, but other than that... the best out there.

# 15 adembroski @ 06/08/08 12:53 PM
MVP 05 is my baseball fix even today. I can't bring myself to purchase a PS3 for the sake of one game.

# 16 HitDoctor @ 06/08/08 01:02 PM
This game was the sole reason I traded in my 360 and ALL of it's accesories(sp.). Still very happy about the decision since all I play is sports games. The Blu Ray feature also make this the BEST DVD player in my house!

# 17 k102c3h4 @ 06/08/08 06:08 PM
I already have the playstion 3 and I think the show is one of the greatest baseball games out.

# 18 Moses Shuttlesworth @ 06/08/08 07:25 PM
I have a ps3; I'm a huge sports fan, but not the biggest baseball fan. I enjoy playing baseball games on occasion, and I think watching baseball is decent. I have MVP 05 for ps2 and had a lot of fun with it. Would it be worth spending 45-60$ on the show 08?

# 19 RaychelSnr @ 06/08/08 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses Shuttlesworth
I have a ps3; I'm a huge sports fan, but not the biggest baseball fan. I enjoy playing baseball games on occasion, and I think watching baseball is decent. I have MVP 05 for ps2 and had a lot of fun with it. Would it be worth spending 45-60$ on the show 08?
I think if you are wanting to get a Blu-Ray player like Caley was after and if you also happen to be a baseball fan, then a PS3 with The Show is a definite no brainer. It's hard to recommend purchasing a ~$400 system for just one game, but I think The Show is close to being a system seller. Couple The Show with MGS4 and you have definite system selling power on your hands

# 20 Hellisan @ 06/08/08 09:46 PM
Great article. If one of my "friends" hadn't borrowed my playstation 2 and never gave it back, I'd still be playing the show (and my pitching career) on the last ps2 version I had. It's just a great game, and like you said, their appreciation of the game itself, and some of the minute details therein, is what really separates it. I'm glad that even though I'm primarily a 360 guy, I listened to everybody and didn't buy 2k8...

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.