Home
Feature Article
On the Fence About NCAA Football 09

While getting ready to play NCAA Football 09, I had an epiphany. An epiphany not simply about NCAA Football, but the sports video game genre as a whole.

Sadly, I have discovered I’m unsatisfied with the overall quality of sports games. Even fan favorites like MLB: The Show and College Hoops 2K8 have left me desiring a richer product.

There just seems to be something missing in all titles and I have yet to find the common issue, if one even exists. There is no clear feature or gameplay mechanic that will have me believe that NCAA will be any different.

Now, I will admit that while I don’t hate or dislike NCAA Football, I am not one of the great majority of sports gamers who gets excited when the football gaming season approaches.

I have played every incarnation of NCAA Football since its Super Nintendo days, and before that Bill Walsh College Football. I've watched EA go from a five year Dynasty Mode to an intense recruiting system with campus visits and player preferences. While I had fun through it all, I never got amped for a new upcoming release.

Maybe its because I was raised in a professional football city. New Yorkers hardly get the chance to read about the St. John's Red Storm or the Syracuse Orangemen and when we do there’s usually just a small, nearly insignificant block on the back page.

I also do not have an alma mater I care to lead into the BCS Championship. Stonehill College is a D-II school and has trouble enough gaining first downs, let alone championships.

But I do fancy myself a sports fan - a follower of the theater of sports. Whether it be baseball, tennis, gymnastics or college football. I know the schools involved, most of the conferences and even the star players.

So why else could I be purposely avoiding the herd of sheep aimlessly awaiting the arrival and unofficial start of the college football season?

For starters, I just do not like the general pacing and presentation of football video games. NCAA does one of the finer jobs of capturing the overall feel and emotion of college sports. But for a stubborn, tough to please gamer like myself, it just does not do enough.

What makes anyone believe that I will find ecstasy in a sport's franchise that does not rank near the top of the list for me?

Now, I am certain, without a doubt, that NCAA 09 will be one of the best titles in its franchise. The franchise is hitting its next-gen stride and the introduction to wide-open gameplay will help bring it even closer to capturing the game.

That being said, I know myself. Right now I am struggling to enjoy two of my favorite sports franchises. What makes anyone believe that I will find ecstasy in a sport's franchise that does not rank near the top of the list for me?

So what does this mean to you, the sports gaming enthusiast who’s not overly excited to grab NCAA Football?

Chances are you are just like me. You hear how great NCAA is going to be and the idea of it excites you, but then you remember you’re not a huge college football fan. Then you begin remembering what you did not like about previous versions. Whatever it may be, the mere thought of it makes you want to keep that $60 in your pocket. "I will wait till the price drops," you say. Then the onslaught of basketball and hockey games starts hitting store shelves and you have a new decision to make.

Let us make the decision right now. If you have ever been a fan of the series and you enjoy football then get off the fence and enjoy a great title.

Otherwise, stay back a bit, wait to see how your friends - the ones that enjoy the same types of games as you – feel. And if that fails, just wait for a price drop.

NCAA Football 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 SoMiss2000 @ 07/14/08 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
I agree. I remember playing football games because they were fun as hell to play. Now I find myself nitpickin every little thing about sports titles.

I think this happened for most of us when sports games made the jump from being blotchs on the screen to more detail realistic games. At that point we have wanted more more more more more and this has caused us to loss sight that just 10 years ago we were watching a little blue blob named thurman thomas running for the bills. We had three different running animations, left right and striaght. It was simple and that made us accept the illusion of it being "football".

Now we can see just by looking at someone through the face mask who they are. See the beads of sweet run down their face ect. We wonder why can't we do everything that the real people do on sundays.

I think we need to back away for a sec and just enjoy the game.
CHURCH!!!

# 22 ehh @ 07/14/08 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeseenBurrito
I guarantee that if you go back and play Tecmo Bowl for an extended period of time, you will find some kind of glitch.
That's the beauty of it, I played it when it came out (along with many others on here) and don't recall any BIG glitches.

The fact that I would have to go back and look for a glitch is a testament itself, ask most regulars on here and they'll be able to list every big glitch from the last seven years in the NCAA series.

BigDofA, I'm not saying Tecmo Bowl is better by any means, just using it as an example of an old favorite versus the games of today.

# 23 sportyguyfl31 @ 07/14/08 03:15 PM
I agree 100%.

The "next gen" sports games are not nearly as enjoyable to me as the sports games of the previous generation.

I have a wii, so I will pop in thos old games. NBA Live 05, NCAA 04-06, MVP Baseball '05, etc..

There's just something fundamentally "off" with the approach to the current gen sports titles. There's a very simple reason why I enjoyed the wii version of Madden 08, better then all of the next gen sports games.

It's because its AI is based off of the old gen engine, which was superior and more complete.

Developers seem to be more concerned with making the games look like a Television Broadcast, as opposed to getting fundemental aspects of the sports correctly.

simple example: I was playing NBa Live 05, and ran a isolation play with Kobe Bryant at the top of the key, 2 trips down the floor in a row. The 3rd time, the CPU adjusted and trapped the play, forcing me to give up the ball.

In the bright and shiny NBA 2k8, I can call that play each and every time down the floor with impunity.

Madden 08 for the wii, I am able to slide protect, a feature that is just now making its way back into the madden game.

I want to PLAY the game, just as much as I want to watch it, but Im going to grow old if the game feels like a dummied down version of the sports I love in favor of bright and shiny graphics.

These games have no charm or personality.

My favorite thing about the past gen NCAA were the stadium enterances, seeing notre dame palyers tap the "play like a champion" today, The hurricanes running through the smoke, the fan pulse and the shots of my players warming up on the field, Herbstriet doing a breakdown of the star player, with a stat overlay.

The post game of the players celebrating, the QB on the losing team kneeling at midfield with his had in his hands.

all of those things gave the game some life. , and that is the thing I miss the most.

# 24 lmpullen1979 @ 07/14/08 03:17 PM
I have a question: are the people that are constantly bashing the game actually played the full final release of NCAA or just the demo? Because if you're bashing the demo without having played the actual game then you're obviously not being "objective". However, if you've played the game and still don't like it, then thank you for your opinion, we're all entitled to them.

I for one have played every NCAA title since Danny Wuerfal (SP) was on the cover. I've seen games that were tons of fun to play and games that were not so great. I've seen games where you could dominate the opponent by the option and the deep ball, and then I've seen it where you have to find your new "money" play.

People please remember that this is a video game, if you're looking for real football, then you should have practiced a little harder, lifted more weights, and had some more ability when you were in high school. This is a simulation game folks, it is impossible to please every single person, but the fact is EA constantly tries year in and year out to improve the game for the consumer. No, I'm not an "employee" of EA, but I do try to give a company that has success making football simulation games some credit. Sure, every now and then they put out a terrible product (NCAA 2008), but for the most part they try to improve on what the consumer has issues with.

In my opinion this game will have bugs, but like others have mentioned if you have fun playing the game, then why shouldn't you make the purchase? The simple answer is yes, you should because you love college football or you just need your football fix until August 12th.

# 25 BigDofBA @ 07/14/08 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
BigDofA, I'm not saying Tecmo Bowl is better by any means, just using it as an example of an old favorite versus the games of today.
That makes sense.

With the technology used today glitches are going to be more prevalent then they were back in the early 90's. Couple that with the internet and people are going to notice a lot more things then they normally would.

When MLB the Show came out this year I stayed off the boards. I knew the boards would ruin the game for me. I absolutely love that game. I haven't had any problems with it what so ever. Message boards just cause me to look for things wrong with the game.

Again, some of these complaints are valid and I'm glad people speak out bc I think it helps the community get a better product. That being said, I can't just dwell on every little thing or I will never enjoy anything.

# 26 Illcat @ 07/14/08 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
True, but there is a difference between glitches and game play limitations.

The basic game play of Tecmo Bowl was ridiculous - have defenders that were 10x faster than your WR/RB and even FASTER if they were far behind you so they could always catch up, instead of defensive plays you tried to pick the O's play and if you guessed it right it was a jail break, etc.

Could you imagine if you had to juke the same defender four times in NCAA 09 like you had to in Tecmo Bowl?

I mean it's as far from realistic as you could get BUT the game did not have large glitches. Tecmo chose to create a crazy interpretation of the NFL and executed it as intended.

Yeah, I see what you mean but realism is what we need to let that go of to some extent. Sure, "EA Sports, its in the game!" Sounds great but it should be " EA Sports, It's a game, as real as we can get it to the actual thing." If I want 100% realism I'll dust off my cleates and go out there and suite up in a 30 and over league....lol To me this is just EA's interpretation of college football. IMO, its done very well with getting me and countless others immersed. And, from what I understand by most of the impressions, the gameplay seems to be pretty good.

# 27 ehh @ 07/14/08 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyguyfl31
I
There's just something fundamentally "off" with the approach to the current gen sports titles. There's a very simple reason why I enjoyed the wii version of Madden 08, better then all of the next gen sports games.

It's because its AI is based off of the old gen engine, which was superior and more complete.
This is another big thing. Perhaps with the booming online gaming industry the AI is less and less important to the EA. They might figure, "Well, most of our customers are going to be playing the game online vs another human so the the CPU AI isn't a top priority anymore."

The AI in nex-gen games is awful for the most part. The AI players often look confused, lost or drunk.

For everyone saying that the Internet is causing these problems, and we've had threads before on OS, I would hope no one is that weak minded that they base their opinion on a game on something they read on a message board and not on their own experiences. My opinions on games have nothing to do with others' opinions, if they did I would own a PS3 and The Show right now and would have never bought MLB2K7 or 8.

I loved NCAA '07 on regular Xbox, MVP '05 on Xbox and College Hoops 2K8 on 360, all of which had lengthy Bugs & Glitches threads on OS. I didn't let that ruin the enjoyment of the game to me and I honestly feel bad for anyone who does.

# 28 sportyguyfl31 @ 07/14/08 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
This is another big thing. Perhaps with the booming online gaming industry the AI is less and less important to the EA. They might figure, "Well, most of our customers are going to be playing the game online vs another human so the the CPU AI isn't a top priority anymore."

The AI in nex-gen games is awful for the most part. The AI players often look confused, lost or drunk.

For everyone saying that the Internet is causing these problems, and we've had threads before on OS, I would hope no one is that weak minded that they base their opinion on a game on something they read on a message board and not on their own experiences. My opinions on games have nothing to do with others' opinions, if they did I would own a PS3 and The Show right now and would have never bought MLB2K7 or 8.

I can loved NCAA '07 on regular Xbox, MVP '05 on Xbox and College Hoops 2K8 on 360, all of which had lengthy Bugs & Glitches threads on OS. I didn't let that ruin the enjoyment of the game to me and I honestly feel bad for anyone who does.
MVP 05. Now that was a classic piece of work.

I have MLB 2k8, yet I cannot wait until I get my hands on MLB power pros 08.

That pretty much sums up how I feel about a lot of the next gen titles.

# 29 SuperBowlNachos @ 07/14/08 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyguyfl31
This might sound dumb, but I think games just look to good. EA is trying to make it a graphics phenomenon and put more effort into how it looks then the gameplay.

I don't blame them, if someone is on the edge of buying most likely they will see if a game has sweet graphics then if the oline properly makes holes.

They are just to complex these days

# 30 GatorFan1963 @ 07/14/08 03:49 PM
To me there is only one reason why sports games have gone to crap...they are released EVERY year. Tecmo and Super Tecmo were released about 7 years apart. Now sports games are released every 12 months which makes it easier and easier to pick out flaws from one year to the next. When you have a 12 month release cycle, the new game feels basically the same as the previous year's version. Which leaves you with more and more time to nitpick every little thing.

So why won't they change it? Because it doesn't support the current marketing structure for sports video games.

# 31 hail2thevictors @ 07/14/08 03:53 PM
Everyone here has good points. Just to add my trip down the football video game memory lane, Bill Walsh was my game! I was a Madden maniac in the beginning but when Bill Walsh came out, I haven't missed one purchase of NCAA football since then. And that was back in '93!

# 32 nousername @ 07/14/08 04:09 PM
Ok, I see your points...but let me say this, and i'm talking to all of those that say people complain too much...this is gonna be real simple.

If you or the developers think people complain too much, then they can't possibly think that they can charge us $400-$600 for a console and $60 for each game!!!! What sense does that make???

"We're going to charge you insane amounts of money for these systems and games, but you musn't complain about the games, no matter how glitchy they are." Please, alot of you people on here are sheeps...wake up, it's all about money, these developers are out to make the buck and at the same time deliver.

You people can sit back and let the gaming industry pimp you if you want, but i'm gonna critique anything that I find wrong with these games...we pay too much money to sit back and lay down and let them distribute half assed products.

Just go back and look at some of these posts..."We do complain too much"...and all the while you're shelling out hundreds to thousands of $$$$ for systems, games, and accessories...yet you don't expect the best???? Some of you are lost and it's no reason the gaming industry is in the billions of dollars.

I don't care what anybody says, as long as these games and systems cost this much money, I along with other SMART consumers will pick any and everything apart...these developers WILL earn their money...and why not...I have to earn mine.

It's really simple...if they don't like critisism and think that their products are being picked apart...START LOWERING PRICES...then we really can't say much can we? BUT...if they continue to drop a hefty price tag on us, expect to be picked apart...THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT...this is true if you want to continue to make big money.

# 33 GatorFan1963 @ 07/14/08 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nousername
It's really simple...if they don't like critisism and think that their products are being picked apart...START LOWERING PRICES...then we really can't say much can we? BUT...if they continue to drop a hefty price tag on us, expect to be picked apart...THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT...this is true if you want to continue to make big money.
AMEN!!!!

If NCAA was about $40 (incl tax)...I'd definitely buy it. $60??? Ain't no way.

# 34 mcarta @ 07/14/08 04:35 PM
I am on the same page with the people throughout this thread that have said we are taking the game to serious. I'm not saying don't act like you are really the head coach that has taken over for Bobby Bowden and is going to lead the NOLES back to the promise land. Cuz I am. But bashing a game on blogs and boards that a majority of people have not even played. I think it says alot about our society. We are never satisfied. The game has come such along way. Lets focus on the things we do have and not the things we don't. Custom sounds, wide open play, stadiums look real life, great recruiting. LET'S JUST PLAY BABY!!!!!!!!!!

# 35 dodgerblue @ 07/14/08 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
. Perhaps with the booming online gaming industry the AI is less and less important to the EA. They might figure, "Well, most of our customers are going to be playing the game online vs another human so the the CPU AI isn't a top priority anymore."

I totally agree with your statement. Programming AI for these games must be very difficult to make them act like the real thing. As more and more people become wired, human v. human is more and more a reality. This year one of the selling points is online dynasty, so maybe the AI is taking a back seat in a big way.

Great threat btw. I like how it has spun off into a discussion of why we aren't satisfied with the new gen. I think I'm not having as much fun because

1) Sliders. I think I'm always in search of the perfect combo and I can never find it. Imagine sliders for tecmo or baseball stars!

2) Expectations. Each year a new version comes out and it needs to be improved or there is no point in buying it.

3) Cost. See #2 but throwing down $60 can be painful

4) Getting older. Less time, more responsibility and more looking back fondly at the old days.

# 36 BoomerSooner11 @ 07/14/08 04:43 PM
Some great points and a really good article.

# 37 SoMiss2000 @ 07/14/08 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nousername
Ok, I see your points...but let me say this, and i'm talking to all of those that say people complain too much...this is gonna be real simple.

If you or the developers think people complain too much, then they can't possibly think that they can charge us $400-$600 for a console and $60 for each game!!!! What sense does that make???

"We're going to charge you insane amounts of money for these systems and games, but you musn't complain about the games, no matter how glitchy they are." Please, alot of you people on here are sheeps...wake up, it's all about money, these developers are out to make the buck and at the same time deliver.

You people can sit back and let the gaming industry pimp you if you want, but i'm gonna critique anything that I find wrong with these games...we pay too much money to sit back and lay down and let them distribute half assed products.

Just go back and look at some of these posts..."We do complain too much"...and all the while you're shelling out hundreds to thousands of $$$$ for systems, games, and accessories...yet you don't expect the best???? Some of you are lost and it's no reason the gaming industry is in the billions of dollars.

I don't care what anybody says, as long as these games and systems cost this much money, I along with other SMART consumers will pick any and everything apart...these developers WILL earn their money...and why not...I have to earn mine.

What u say is true, HOWEVER, EA games still fly off the shelves at release. The loudest nitpickers/complainers are the same people who are NOT willing to rent these games before they are released. Every game will be bug/glitched fill yet the vast majority of you will search high and low to find a store to break the street date a week early. The bottom line is the developer's bottom line is never being affected by putting out ****ty products.

I fall into the category of those that don't let too many bugs bother me. I'm gettin too old to put forth the energy to pick apart the game. If its fun...its ok with me. I havw waited patiently until 7/15 despite getting a location here in dallas that broke the street date.

# 38 GaryT531 @ 07/14/08 05:28 PM
Unfortunately we are nowhere close to getting a sports game that is on the level of, lets say, grand theft auto. Someone should convince Rockstar into doing sports games.

# 39 Gamecocks625 @ 07/14/08 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hail2thevictors
Everyone here has good points. Just to add my trip down the football video game memory lane, Bill Walsh was my game! I was a Madden maniac in the beginning but when Bill Walsh came out, I haven't missed one purchase of NCAA football since then. And that was back in '93!
Right on. I had so much fun with the original Bill Walsh. It's funny, though. I can remember playing and players would disappear and flicker, but I didn't care because all I had to do was hit "C" and highstep out of every tackle.

# 40 GaryT531 @ 07/14/08 05:41 PM
Everyone loves Tecmo Super Bowl because we were all kids when we played it. As kids, all we cared about was having fun with the game. We knew we would, and so we did. We weren't looking for bugs or glitches or whatever, but there were a ton of them, and we didn't care. If somehow we can get back into that mindset when playing a game, then we will enjoy these games more, like the way we did as kids.

Eventually this roster thing will be fixed. Sooner or later someone other than PastaPadre will have rosters up in the EA Locker that work. So if you love college football then just go out and get the game because somewhere out there is Fairdale Kings sitting in a dark room with the determination to be the first guy to get us working rosters, and he probably will.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.