Home
Feature Article
Baserunning is Still my Achilles Heel

When taking a fresh-out-of-the-wrapper sports game for its initial ride, you know the game is going to have a learning curve.

For some gamers this can be frustrating. Often, however, it can also be very rewarding and help give the game lasting appeal. Generally, I consider myself to be above average at sports video games. Years of playing the real sports and their video game counterparts have helped in this regard.

However, recently I stumbled onto my sports video gaming Achilles heel.

Baserunning.

Like many others, I recently purchased a Playstation 3 and the great baseball exclusive title MLB 08: The Show. After hearing all the hype I just had to see for myself what the deal was with this game. While coming late to the party, I still have found myself enjoying almost every minute of the game.

Unfortunately, many gamers are probably suffering from outs because of poor baserunning controls.

Baseball is a sport that most American kids pick up at a rather young age and it seems to be instilled in most Americans to love the game.

Still after all these years it seems no matter how many baseball games I play, the last thing I seem to figure out is how to run the damn bases.

Sure, when I first get the game I stink at batting. I am usually up at the plate hacking and my timing is all off. But I equate that to a real life player in spring training following a long winter without competitive baseball. It takes some time for me to get my timing back and get in the grove of things. After a few games I usually start to get the sweet spot of the bat on the ball more often than not.

Pitching usually is pretty easy. It's not hard to make half my Pittsburgh Pirates staff into aces in most cases. And sure, sometimes I make some fielding gaffes, but faulty camera angles or spotty fielding controls tend to be more at fault when I struggle in the fielding department.

I mean think about it -- the controllers for these consoles today are set up perfectly for controlling guys on the bases.

This leaves the one area of gameplay that destroys me every year and takes me the longest to achieve any semblance of control: baserunning.

Of course for the past 18 or so years of baseball video games, very few products have done a good job of allowing you to control up to four runners at one time on the base paths.

This is even more frustrating based on how simple baserunning should be. I mean think about it -- the controllers for these consoles today are set up perfectly for controlling guys on the bases.

Still I am not sure if it is the pressure of the moment, trying to react in an instant, or something else, but I would venture a wager that almost one fifth of all my outs come from baserunning errors.

To me the part that makes no sense is that I am relatively young still and I have good hand-eye coordination. I can play other games well that are faster paced -- like hockey, basketball or football games. Some would even say I am a borderline “stick jockey” in those games.

So does that mean there are more of us out there? Are more people having trouble with baserunning and are just too proud to say so?

And I am not alone. One of my closest friends, whom I often run a baseball franchise with, suffers from the same ailment. So does that mean there are more of us out there? Are more people having trouble with baserunning and are just too proud to say so? Is that the reason that even long-running (no pun intended) baseball franchises seem to switch up their baserunning controls nearly every season?

Perhaps that is another good reason I cannot ever fully master them. Each company seems to think they will revolutionize baserunning, as if they are presenting you the opportunity to be the Maury Wills or Rickey Henderson of the future. All that seems to mean is each year I have to learn something new.

The most recent epiphany came in the top of the ninth, down one run on the road in Atlanta. My Pittsburgh team was rallying, having got the leadoff man on-base. With no outs I pinch ran, putting in my fastest runner (someone who is pretty much on the roster just to run and perhaps occasionally roam centerfield).

Perhaps there is still hope though, as many gamers don't mind the current state of control.

The next batter dropped a nice sacrifice bunt down to move the baserunner to second, putting him in scoring position.

Now with one out and a runner on second, things were looking good. All we needed was one clutch hit. And it came! A shot back up the middle for a solid base hit. My friend, sitting on the couch across the room, was physically waving me home as I fumbled frantically with the controls, trying to get the runner from second to home.

As the baserunner made a wide turn around third, then stuttered and stopped, it became clear to me that I never really had control of him, despite all signs pointing to him doing my will. (No the automatic control function wasn’t on –- although I wish it would have been).
With the fleet-footed track star on third and a ball so deep that I could waltz home myself, I was sure all was good. I was wrong.

All wasn't lost though. I was still in good shape with one out, runners on the corners, and a big stick at the plate. All I needed was a sac fly. But a double play ball would be catastrophic.

Now if I had any confidence in running the bases, I would have sent the runner on first to swipe second, most likely uncontested. However, I wasn’t about to mess with that situation and make an easy out by accidentally sending both runners.

Then it happened. With the baserunning page opened in the instruction booklet, I took my biggest golf swing at a pitch and drove the ball about 370-feet to left-center field. I had done it! With the fleet-footed track star on third and a ball so deep that I could waltz home myself, I was sure all was good.

I was wrong. My runner from first did the right thing and advanced halfway to second. The runner on third also did the best thing and stayed on the bag in tag-up position.

I quickly hit the buttons needed to control the lead runner and advance him and him alone to score. However, my friend and I both quickly noticed there was no such movement. As he frantically shouted controls in my ear I am pushing every possible baserunning button combination to get some movement out of him. Finally I hit the L1 button and I see him break.

I was crushed and deflated. Promptly flying out to left field with the next batter made things worse.

For a second it appears the play will be close, but he should still make it safely. Except the runner from first is booking to second and never properly tagged up. I pound R1 to avoid the tag up out at first and my guy just beats the throw back to first and is safe.

So what happened to the tying run? Well he went back to third despite being about five feet away from crossing home. Apparently R1 sends back all runners.

I was crushed and deflated. Promptly flying out to left field with the next batter made things worse. After 30 some games of spring training and practicing in random exhibitions I was still as lost as ever running the basepaths.

And that, my friends, is a synopsis of what I have gone through in learning to run the bases in nearly every baseball title ever released.

When will I escape my purgatory of baserunning mediocrity? What company will step up to the proverbial plate and master this function so that games will copy their system from that point forward? And lastly, please tell me I am not alone in this!

Member Comments
# 1 greenngold01 @ 08/11/08 11:52 AM
Theres certainly a learning curve, but I have no problems running the bases, judging what's a double or a triple (granted I get thrown out sometimes, but that's baseball)

One problem I have is on wild pitches, the camera sort of swings around from the catchers point of view to the outfielders point of view, making a 180, and I stumble on that all the time. I can usually get the man from third in to score, but if there are other runners on I usually don't have time. I know somewhere there is a button to send all runners, but I never think of it spur of the moment.

# 2 Blzer @ 08/11/08 12:06 PM
Here's an easy way for baserunning... use the analog sticks.

Left-stick advances runners, right-stick retreats runners. Press it a specific direction (up, down, left, right) to guide them. And yes... I can think of a reason to send a runner back from first. To send them all, click the left stick. To send them all back, click the right stick.

To slide, hold L2 (or L-trigger) and use the left-stick for feet first slides (left/right are hook slides, up/down are take-out/pop-up slides), and use the right-stick for head-first slides (left/right are hook slides, up/down are standard slide/take-out catcher).

To stop runners, hold R2 and either stop an individual runner with the right-stick (which I have yet to see in a video game), or click the right-stick and stop them all.

I don't see why that doesn't work just fine.

# 3 rockbottom3 @ 08/11/08 01:27 PM
Im not so good with baserunnig as well never have been..don't know why?

# 4 HechticSooner @ 08/11/08 01:39 PM
Actually I think that baserunning is also the hardest thing in real baseball. Of course certain times it is easy like the last little story, but look how many baserunning errors appear in real games. Quite a few in the Majors and that is where they are supposed to not make errors period. So I always put the difficulty of baserunning in my head as the difficulty to communicate with the players running the bases and the first and third base coaches... of course I could be just bad at it like the author and making excuses.

# 5 Blzer @ 08/11/08 01:48 PM
Baserunning errors in real life baseball come from making the wrong decision as to whether or not you should run, not that you accidentally ran or you forgot how to run back. Big difference, IMO.

Plus, most of them come from poor fly ball judgments, and in most of these games there's a landing target for people to know where it's going to land beforehand. The issue is in the controls.

# 6 Pappy Knuckles @ 08/11/08 04:34 PM
I'm in the same boat w/ baserunning.

# 7 sput @ 08/11/08 08:19 PM
I play MLB 2k8 and half the time I feel like I'm running with the Bad News Bears. On the average I get in about two or three pickles a game. I think the problem is that baserunning controls (as Blzer's post above demonstrates) aren't always terribly complicated, but are overly complicated for the period of time in which you use them. Think about it, in baseball managing the running is probably the most excitable period of time and, therefore, the most difficult to have complete control over your faculties.

Simplify, simplify, simplify.

-J

# 8 Heshi @ 08/12/08 04:57 AM
I suck at baserunning as well. Big time. I thought it mainly was because as a Euro kid that didn't grow up playing baseball video games all day I just wasn't used to the very fast and accurate controller shredding that you need to guide your guys around the base paths.

Now I know it's the game's fault. Thank you.

# 9 Jgainsey @ 08/12/08 05:15 PM
I usually suck at b-running, but I like the new controls for the show. When I first purchased the game I went through the usual growing pains, but I think the new controls are pretty intuitive. I can't even remember the last time I was screwed over by the base running.

# 10 stretch45 @ 08/12/08 06:56 PM
2k8 baserunning is simple
use the left stick to control the runner
and face buttons to the bases
right stick slide

but I would like know how the MLB08 baserunning is
classic baserunning i suck at

# 11 Jgainsey @ 08/12/08 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch45
2k8 baserunning is simple
use the left stick to control the runner
and face buttons to the bases
right stick slide

but I would like know how the MLB08 baserunning is
classic baserunning i suck at
Sounds like it's about the same. The left stick selects the runner and the face buttons tells the runner which base to go to. R1 and L1 control multiple runners and the right stick can control sliding.

# 12 tril @ 08/12/08 11:55 PM
Through out my baseball gaming career I have lost many games cause I cant run the bases well.

My main problem with base running in MLB for me is that after I hit along fly ball into the outfield, I tend to watch the ball. What should eb a double or triple usually winds up being a single, or an out cause Ill still try for two even after I realized I only made it to first.

# 13 SDwinder @ 08/13/08 06:33 PM
Controlling individual runners at the same time in The Show 08 is a pain using the New system. It is one thing to hit the run all button, but when you want to tell one guy to go and one guy to stay, it gets overly complicated and unintuitive.

MVP 05 PC had it down great. They used the D-Pad to tell your runner to go to the next base or pre-load him to take an extra base or two. You would select which runner you wanted to give a command to with the diamond shaped face buttons, so it was very intuitive. I could control multiple runners very easy without having any issues.

I never heard any complaints either about this system. You still had your shoulder buttons to run all or go back all, but being able to choose a runner on first quickly with a face button and then press the left D-pad to tell him to go from 1B to 3B on a single, and then while he is doing that on his own, switching to the batter to see if you can go to 2B if the throw goes to 3B.

It just worked and was very intuitive for normal right brained thinking people. We need this option in future baseball games. I would love it if Sony would do a patch to put this in the current The Show 08.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.