Home
Feature Article
NBA 2K9 Quick Hitter Impressions

I'm going to quickly run down a few things that I have noticed while playing the game.

When players get tied up with the ball, there are a couple of things that can happen. You either get a jump ball or you rip it out and continue the play before a jump ball is called. Also, when doubles approach, players with a high skill level can split it, my jaw dropped on more than a few occasions when T.J. Ford was killing me.

On driving layups, taking it strong to the hole, some players can cover the ball and it looks fantastic, sometimes they'll fall to the ground after a foul or non call, looks great.

When players get fouled, some of them cross their arms, mumble under their breath, others will admit to the foul and hold their hand up, then there is Sheed. He'll wave the ref off, emphatically sometimes. It's pretty scary how some of these guys react, lol. I've even seen Sheed on the floor after getting called for a block and waving his hand at the ref like he couldn't believe the call. No techs have been handed out.

Playing D and weaving through screens is just plain fun. Tons of new animations, including some very nice rebounding ones. More sig styles and just an incredible amount of new animations, as you'll see when I post more movies this week. KG punches his chest after a big shot, but there are so many other "little things" in here as well.

The offense takes advantage of switching defenders. Had KG posting up little Derek Fisher, dunked on him. Other times when you see a mismatch, the AI is smart enough to change the defender. Had Duncan guarding Kobe at the top, before I could make my move, Bowen switched up. It was very cool to see.

The crowd animation is great and while you see some of the same people scattered around, I think it is much better than last year, although the waving #1 fingers are a little over the top sometimes. The fans react realistically, but there are still odd times where the audio just drops out, instead of fading. When there are big plays that happen, the atmosphere is bananas.

You'll see a few flops or non calls on charging/blocking fouls and you will see blocking calls called correctly when players are in the circle. Sometimes the call will be made, other times it will be a no call.

Free throw routines are great. Arenas has the around the back, etc. a cool example of something I saw, at the end of the game I had Kobe taking FT's, crowd chants MVP, he blows the FT...steps back, deep breath gets ready for next one, wipes both hands on his jersey, takes the freebie, nothing but net, as he leaves his hand "up there"...

For timeouts, you have 20 seconds and full timeouts. On the 20 second timeouts, you have 20 seconds to make your changes, on full timeouts, you get 60 seconds.

At the end of the game, you get a Jordan Player of the Game, top 3 plays, hot zones and signature highlights. Players head to their tunnels as well.

Not seeing stat overlays in exhibition, season or association, announcing team will mention when players reach certain points, rebounds, etc. but no overlays. Looked in the presentation options and don't see anything regarding overlays.

Changing shots in midair, absolutely love that they brought this back.

Players smack the backboard on layups and/or blocked shot attempts.

Off the ball defense is nice, the AI doesn't just sit there either, they will fake an inside move and pop outside and lose you, among other things, like call for a screen, etc.

In the player matchups, you can stick Bowen on Kobe, if you want to, so putting the best defender on the best offensive player is something a lot of people will like.

Need to turn up the fouls, as I'm not seeing many on default.

Game speed set to 45, seems to be perfect.

Off the ball AI is much better this year, players setting picks, running back doors, etc.

I'd like to see players cutting harder when coming off screens, most of the time they do, but there are a few times when they actually walk around them or walk to their spot.

BTW, the game runs at 60 FPS, it's just my hardware and the encoding makes it look a bit jumpy. I have to find a better way of encoding to make it look less jittery. It's smooth as butter when playing the game.

The movies you see at the beginning of the game are on exhibition games, those player movies aren't viewable when playing season and association, no need to worry if a player is traded that it won't show up right, since it's only shown in exhibition.

NBA 2K9 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 23 @ 09/21/08 12:03 PM
Thanks Steve

# 2 Steve_OS @ 09/21/08 12:04 PM
BTW, this is NOT a Q&A. I'll just post as I have time. It's Sunday, got a lot of plans today, just wanted to give you guys something to chew on. Enjoy the day!

# 3 23 @ 09/21/08 12:08 PM
Enjoy the rest of your weekend sir... and thanks for claryifying that, so guys won't start asking. Its the best writeup i've seen so far.

The fans react realistically, but there are still odd times where the audio just drops out, instead of fading.

Noticed this in one of those old videos from one of the foreign sites. I hope they fixed this. It happened in 2k8 too

# 4 The 24th Letter @ 09/21/08 12:09 PM
Good stuff Steve....LOVE the signature stuff

# 5 Scoop 24 @ 09/21/08 12:10 PM
thanks Steve. glad to know there's alot of "Little things"

# 6 kenzil @ 09/21/08 12:22 PM
Great review. The game sounds really good!

Any chance of knowing yet if they can import choop rosters in association?

# 7 ZephyrSong @ 09/21/08 12:22 PM
Thanks Steve... Like I said, everytime I go back to the site you've done something new man... Much appreciated considering I dont know WHEN the game will get to our country.

[
In the player matchups, you can stick Bowen on Kobe, if you want to, so putting the best defender on the best offensive player is something a lot of people will like.
]

Now this is the defensive matchup thing DC is talking about, I know he is going to be happy. I am already!

# 8 DaoudS @ 09/21/08 12:27 PM
This is the best read about 2K9 to date.

# 9 Po Pimp @ 09/21/08 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZephyrSong
Thanks Steve... Like I said, everytime I go back to the site you've done something new man... Much appreciated considering I dont know WHEN the game will get to our country.

[
]

Now this is the defensive matchup thing DC is talking about, I know he is going to be happy. I am already!
This was in 2k8 last year. What DC is talking about is the fact that College Hoops had Primary and Secondary defenders for instances Bowen isn't in the game.

# 10 SageInfinite @ 09/21/08 12:40 PM
Thanx Steve. The game sounds amazing.

# 11 ChaseB @ 09/21/08 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
BTW, this is NOT a Q&A. I'll just post as I have time. It's Sunday, got a lot of plans today, just wanted to give you guys something to chew on. Enjoy the day!
"Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."

# 12 Bornindamecca @ 09/21/08 12:49 PM
Great stuff, Steve, much appreciated. Hopefully a few things are more clear for people viewing vids, like framerate and such.

# 13 Goffs @ 09/21/08 12:52 PM
thanks steve! great read

so far i can actually wait for NBA2k9 since warhammer online has been keeping me busy..then soon its going to be Brothers in Arms...its a busy month lol

# 14 Fabric @ 09/21/08 12:54 PM
A big 'Thank you' from me as well, Steve. I'm a bit PO'ed that there are no stat overlays whatsoever. Ah, well. At least there're so many other great things in the game to keep me happy

# 15 edubbs @ 09/21/08 01:00 PM
Much appreciated Steve great stuff.

In regards to not seeing any overlays, here is what a Dev. responded with during the 2ksports.com QA that was posted a few weeks ago.

10.) Where there be accumulated stats (like NFL 2K5) where your stats follow you and the presentation display current game stats, career stats, playoff stats...etc?

A.) "Statistical overlays have returned to NBA 2K9 after a brief hiatus. These overlays will display at opportune times (free throws, dead balls, etc.) and will provide information such as game points, career average, etc."

Hopefully, the TV style overlays are in the final build.

# 16 ZephyrSong @ 09/21/08 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Po Pimp
This was in 2k8 last year. What DC is talking about is the fact that College Hoops had Primary and Secondary defenders for instances Bowen isn't in the game.
And I think 2k7 had that too, and 2k6, and I'm sure 2k5 and below.

I'm kinda confused now lol. From what I understood, Bowen would be able to guard Kobe the whole game even if Kobe slides in the 3. That way, your second string SF won't guard LA's second string SF... At least that's what I understood from reading since Steve will not say that "this is something people will be happy about" if that said feature is already in the 2k's and belows.

# 17 skillz720 @ 09/21/08 01:07 PM
I love you guys work, your the only spot we can count on for up to date info on our favorite sports games!!!!

# 18 slvicick @ 09/21/08 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZephyrSong
And I think 2k7 had that too, and 2k6, and I'm sure 2k5 and below.

I'm kinda confused now lol. From what I understood, Bowen would be able to guard Kobe the whole game even if Kobe slides in the 3. That way, your second string SF won't guard LA's second string SF... At least that's what I understood from reading since Steve will not say that "this is something people will be happy about" if that said feature is already in the 2k's and belows.
In 2k7 if you put Bowen on Kobe and Kobe slid over the SF, Bowen would continue to guard whoever was at SG. It was by position, its sounds like now it goes by player.

# 19 HeavenlyTouch @ 09/21/08 01:23 PM
I can't wait to play this..

Most realistic SIM basketball game I've ever seen..

# 20 ZephyrSong @ 09/21/08 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvicick
In 2k7 if you put Bowen on Kobe and Kobe slid over the SF, Bowen would continue to guard whoever was at SG. It was by position, its sounds like now it goes by player.
Yes.. that's what I was telling Po Pimp.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.