Home
Feature Article
Music and Madden: A Decade of Tunes

Music and sports games have developed a very unique relationship over the years, and no other sports franchise is more synonymous with music than the Madden NFL series. Ever since the start of this decade I can’t seem to get over the fact that as Madden grows, the soundtrack of the game blooms with it. Over the past years, Madden has jump started the careers of many artists that you hear on the radio today -- which makes sense because when Madden releases, you have millions of people listening to songs that usually aren't even surfing the airwaves yet.

Over the years, EA has created one of the most recognizable games on the market, and by doing that, EA has been able to use the Madden brand to create one of the most recognizable soundtracks as well. In Madden 2000, Ludacris did the intro song for the game, and it set the tone for the 21st century Madden soundtracks. Everyone who played Madden 2000 remembers Ludacris', "Maaaaaaaaan get out of my way and watch out as I come through!" intro song that accompanied an amazing football montage that got gamers everywhere pumped up to play virtual football. I'd venture to guess that many gamers still believe it's the most memorable song to ever be featured in a Madden game as well. From there, the relationship between Madden and music grew into a help me help you type of deal.

Madden 2002 was the first Madden game to have more than just one song featured. Madden 2003 was the first year EA Trax was introduced, and it of course brought along a different sound. Madden and hip-hop were first loves, but sometimes you need a different sound to influence other people to join the party, so this was the first year they had rock tracks on the game like Bon Jovi and Good Charlotte. It was a needed change for the soundtrack.

And your spine in the DIRT, so put on a SKIRT
If you step on the field and don't wanna get HURT
Just bruised and beaten, all black and blue
And it's been like that since Madden '92

In Madden 2004, the soundtrack was well rounded with different sounds and different genres of music. Outkast and Bubba Sparxxx had the hip-hop side covered, while Blink 182 and Yellowcard covered the rock genre. This game had the best Madden soundtrack to that point, and I know people will agree with me on that one. Madden 2005 was a down year when it came to the soundtrack. Green Day was featured on it, but I can tell that EA went with artists that wanted to build a name for themselves, otherwise EA would have used more big name artists.

Madden 2006 was the first year the NFL exclusivity license was in place, and with that license came the NFL Films music and a diverse soundtrack filled with artists like Fall Out Boy and Coheed and Cambria. The game also featured hip-hop legend Rev Run

Madden 2007 was a good year for Lupe Fiasco, since he had just hit the music scene and ended up having a good year; he even got to do a song with Kayne West.

Madden 2008 ushered in a new style of music and Madden NFL 08 en Español was also making its first appearance. EA added a reggae tone to the Madden scene, a move that led to mixed opinions to say the least.

Now currently with Madden 2009, the big stars have finally made their way back to the soundtrack. Artists like Busta Rhymes and Gym Class Heroes have helped to wrap up ten years of great music that has appeared in just Madden alone.

Other sports games do have music, but Madden is the soundtrack that most artists want to be on, and it is the most relevant soundtrack as of today. So with that being said, what is your favorite Madden soundtrack and song? And if you could put together the soundtrack of the game, what would be some of the artists that you would put on it?

Madden NFL 09 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 RaychelSnr @ 10/06/08 11:07 AM
There is a link showing up on the frontpage, I did a quick ghost edit to add in a link, you had to be pretty fast to see it without one

# 2 DubTrey1 @ 10/06/08 08:20 PM
I am sort of parial to the first year of Madden on PS2. Those were basically beats with no words and I loved em.

# 3 slickdtc @ 10/06/08 10:07 PM
I found out about some good bands and also got back into music thanks to Madden 2004 and 2005. Midtown, Thrice, Gob, Yellowcard, Hoobastank, New Found Glory. Good stuff.

# 4 ebugaloo @ 10/07/08 10:01 AM
Perhaps my memory is not as good as it once was, but I thought Xzibit did the opening song to Madden 2000, not Ludacris. Either way, that song kicked a**. I never skipped the intro when playing the game.

# 5 Cardot @ 10/07/08 06:33 PM
This is actually a pet peeve of mine. I wish the developers would stick to developing sports games, and let me manage my musical preferences. Now I do like with they license the tunes that are common in sports stadiums and arenas.....that adds to the immersion factor. And I definately enjoy the fight songs in college games. But I wish they would leave the "up and coming" bands to VH1 and YouTube, and just allow custom tracks in the sports games.

# 6 slickdtc @ 10/08/08 03:22 PM
Also, Coheed and Cambria's "Welcome Home" wasn't in my Madden 2006... I have the XBOX version, if that makes any difference. Wish it was though, that's a sick song.

# 7 finch2005 @ 10/08/08 11:51 PM
I'm pretty sure it is because its on the 360 version and i don't see why they would change music.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madden_NFL_06
Peep the soundtrack link

# 8 DC @ 10/17/08 09:32 AM
Man Madden has put me on to SO much music it makes no sense at all. I was a city boy that didn't listen to anything other than R&B and Rap but Madden put some Rock in my life and I never looked back. My favorites include

Even though TNT Played the hell out of it - Quarashi - "Mr. Jinx"

Unloco - "Crashing"

Alter Bridge - "Open Your Eyes"

# 9 Allaboutme @ 03/04/09 03:01 PM
The best EA intro hands down is tripple play 99s it makes you just wanna play baseball after hearing it. the madden intros was cool though.

# 10 jmood88 @ 03/04/09 03:29 PM
The year they had Mathematics by Mos Def was the only year that Madden had good music.

# 11 Bigby777 @ 03/04/09 04:24 PM
I like the 2002 intro music. Pharoe Munch I think....

# 12 jmood88 @ 03/04/09 05:58 PM
Pharoahe Monch

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.