Home
Feature Article
MLB Trade Deadline: Predicting the Impacts

Now that the MLB trade deadline has passed -- though the wheeling and dealing probably isn't over yet -- it's time to take a look at some of the more notable trades that were made around the league. With fewer than two months left in the regular season, I will be focusing mainly on the playoff impact of these trades, while also discussing each player’s potential impact for franchise mode players in MLB 09: The Show.

If you have not started a franchise in the game yet, now would be the best time to attempt to make a playoff push with your favorite squad. I have picked five of the most important players who swapped jerseys at the trade deadline, and also broken down the potential impact of each player for his new team.

Matt Holliday (Left Fielder, St. Louis Cardinals)

MLB Impact: Holliday being sent to St. Louis was by far one of the biggest trades made during the 2009 season, and since he joined the Cards, Holliday has had success. The Pujols-Holliday combo is now a truly terrifying proposition for every opposing pitching staff, and it makes St. Louis an instant World Series contender.

MLB 09: The Show Impact: Holliday’s offensive capabilities will certainly bolster the Cardinals’ offensive production in the game. He will provide protection for Albert Pujols in the lineup, and I would not be surprised to see the average number of runs scored in a game jump up drastically for the Cardinals.

Adam LaRoche (First Baseman, Atlanta Braves)

MLB Impact: In a surprising trade made right before the deadline, the Boston Red Sox dealt Adam LaRoche to the Atlanta Braves only nine days after acquiring him from the Pittsburgh Pirates. In exchange for LaRoche, the Braves sent fellow First Baseman Casey Kotchman to Boston. In the deal, the Braves reacquired their first baseman from the 2004-2006 seasons, while simultaneously upgrading their offense with LaRoche’s home-run power. In just a few games back in a Braves uniform, LaRoche has already hit a home run and driven in a number of runs, thus immediately making a positive impact on the team.

MLB 09: The Show Impact: While LaRoche certainly doesn’t have the kind of power someone like Prince Fielder or Ryan Howard does, he also isn’t as likely to strike out as much as the other two. He brings with him a good glove at first base and will provide consistent offense in the lineup. This trade probably looks better in videogame form because LaRoche's power translates better than Kotchman's attributes. So while the trade can arguably be considered a wash in real life or even a win for the Red Sox, the Braves look smart in The Show.

Cliff Lee (Starting Pitcher, Philadelphia Phillies)

MLB Impact: Instead of pursuing Roy Halladay, the Philadelphia Phillies "settled" for the 2008 AL Cy Young award winner, Cliff Lee. With Cole Hamels continuing to have trouble on the mound, Lee should give the Phillies another dependable arm in the rotation, and he should become another anchor for a team that will do anything to get a chance to defend the World Series title in just a few short months. Since the Phillies already own a nice lead in the NL East, this trade should help keep the Phillies afloat at the top of the division.

MLB 09: The Show Impact: Lee’s status as a dominant pitcher was already confirmed by his Cy Young award last year, and one of the keys to his success is his devastating knuckle-curve pitch. With a rotation already featuring Cole Hamels, Jamie Moyer (sup, Pedro?) and Joe Blanton, the Phillies look to have one of the more solid rotations going forward, which will certainly give franchise players more confidence when they face a difficult opponent.

Jarrod Washburn (Starting Pitcher, Detroit Tigers)

MLB Impact: With the acquisition of Jarrod Washburn from the Seattle Mariners, the Tigers now have three excellent pitchers in their starting rotation (Washburn, Edwin Jackson, Justin Verlander). Since the Tigers are clinging to a lead in the AL Central division, they will have to hope the starting rotation can lead them back to the playoffs.

MLB 09: The Show Impact: Washburn will provide an extra amount of dependability in the rotation for the Tigers, and with the offense consisting of a number of legitimate threats in Curtis Granderson, Miguel Cabrera and Brandon Inge, Washburn could be the final piece of the puzzle for the team.

George Sherrill (Relief Pitcher, Los Angeles Dodgers)

MLB Impact: The Dodgers own the best National League winning percentage, so many people probably already thought they had a good enough team to compete for the World Series. However, general manager Ned Colletti decided to go out and get Sherrill from the Baltimore Orioles anyway. Sherrill will provide more insurance during the late innings of games, and he may even provide Jonathan Broxton with a break every once in a while. The acquisition of Sherrill just means that opponents will have an even tougher time scoring runs late in the game.

MLB 09: The Show Impact: Sherrill is a bit of an anomaly among relievers in MLB 09: The Show, because he has five pitches in his repertoire. Personally, I prefer to have a relief pitcher that throws four or five pitches, as it gives me more room to work with if one of his pitches is not very effective on any given day. Knowing this, he will be an excellent addition to the Dodgers in MLB 09: The Show.

Who Will Make the Biggest Impact on His New Team?

This was one of the busiest trade deadlines in recent history, and there are a number of high-impact players that will be hoping to make an impact on their new teams. A number of players were also traded from teams out of playoff contention to teams in the middle of a playoff race, which could spur them to be even more successful on their new teams. Only time will tell which, if any, of these players will become big-time contributors on their new teams. But it’s still safe to say that each of the aforementioned players will make his new team more exciting to play with in MLB 09: The Show. There has never been a better time to begin your team’s playoff pursuit.

What are some of the other notable trades that should be on this list? Are the White Sox going to take the lead in the Central division once Peavy gets back (and Rios gets to town)? Do you all hate me for leaving Victor Martinez off the list? Which teams, in your opinion, have benefited the most from this trade deadline?

MLB '09: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 wolverine2481 @ 08/11/09 10:31 AM
Found out last night.
That the Chicago White Sox aquired Alex Rios from free agency. Still trying to figure out why Toronto released him in the first place.
Looking forward to see what this young star will bring to the table for my team. Poor Ozzie has alot of thinking to do now with the roster rotation, to make 4 players happy!

# 2 ChaseB @ 08/11/09 11:11 AM
His contract is somewhat outrageous.

# 3 eyeamg0dly @ 08/11/09 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine2481
Found out last night.
That the Chicago White Sox aquired Alex Rios from free agency. Still trying to figure out why Toronto released him in the first place.
Looking forward to see what this young star will bring to the table for my team. Poor Ozzie has alot of thinking to do now with the roster rotation, to make 4 players happy!
that is a pretty good grab for the chisox. where are they playing him though? centerfield?

# 4 wolverine2481 @ 08/11/09 11:21 PM
I just hope they dont bench Dye. Quentin yeah he missed most of the pas month anyways. According from ozzie he is going to rotate him around the outfield to keep all the outfielders happy. Wish him luck on that.

# 5 wolverine2481 @ 08/11/09 11:23 PM
Chase I agree his contract outrageous. i just hope he will be a good player for us.

# 6 Mr. Franchise @ 08/11/09 11:50 PM
Why no V-Mart?

# 7 ChaseB @ 08/12/09 03:49 AM
But honestly, if Rios returns to his old form, the contract is actually a steal, just right now it looks iffy -- not that it is Vernon Wells bad or anything, it's just not great.

# 8 crazymallard @ 08/12/09 09:58 AM
To answer your question, Mr. Franchise, I had already seen a lot of discussion centered on Victor Martinez's trade to the Red Sox, so I decided to go with George Sherrill instead, considering I think he will also have a big impact on his new team, but isn't as well known as Martinez is.

# 9 bigbadbong @ 08/18/09 08:53 PM
I think that getting rid of Rios was a good move by the Jay's. It gives them that chance to bring up Travis Snider from AAA, I think that this is a great move. I also think that they should let go of Veron Wells he's not the player that the Jay's where hoping to get.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.