Home
Feature Article
OS Madden 10 Preview: NFC South

Every year it seems that the NFC South has the potential to be the most competitive division in the NFL. Traditionally, the NFC South has historically been topsy-turvy, and has actually seen the team finishing at the bottom one year, rise to the top the next year.

The 2009 season brings four very exciting teams to the NFC South once again. Every team in the NFC South has to feel like their team can win the division in 2009. With that in mind, here's a breakdown of the division and each team's key players. Teams are listed in predicted order of finish. Also included in parenthesis are the teams 2008 regular season record.

1. Carolina Panthers - Madden 10 OVR Rating - 84

The defending NFC South champs (12-4) figure to be a popular pick to stay atop the division. On offense, it will be the "Smash & Dash" show once again with HB Jonathan Stewart (85 OVR, 88 Truck) and DeAngelo Williams (94 OVR, 86 ACC) controlling the tempo in John Fox's ball control offense. QB Jake Delhomme (80 OVR), is looking to rebound after last year's playoff meltdown vs Arizona. He will have a bona-fide NFL Superstar in WR Steve Smith (97 OVR, 97 SPD). Also returning is Delhomme's security blanket, WR Mushin Muhammad (79 OVR). The OL is a very strong group led by franchise LT Jordan Gross (95 OVR).

On the defensive side of the ball RE Julius Peppers (97 OVR) is back for possibly his final season as a Carolina Panther. He will have to carry a D-Line that recently lost space eating (350 lbs) DT Ma'ake Kemoeatu (77 OVR) to the IR. Behind Peppers is emerging star MLB John Beason (92 OVR) and LOLB Thomas Davis (85 OVR). The defensive backfield is potentially weaker because of the loss of CB Ken Lucas to free agency. Much will depend on the development of last year's nickel back, Richard Marshall (76 OVR). The other players who are there, are pretty solid. Led by the vastly improved CB Chris Gamble (83 OVR) and hard hitting SS Chris Harris (78 OVR, 88 HIT PWR), the Panthers secondary hopes to be up to the task vs the NFC South gunslingers. Special teams is a strength for Carolina with the ageless K John Kasay (91 OVR) and solid P John Baker (76 OVR). Carolina's major area of concern on special teams is again, KR/PR. Ryne Robinson (57 OVR, 88 Return) will get the first chance to win the job, but rookie HB Mike Goodson (66 OVR, 92 ACC) is ready to step in if needed.

2. Atlanta Falcons - Madden 10 OVR Rating - 81

While some folks are predicting a sophomore slump for last year's NFL Rookie of the Year, QB Matt Ryan (85 OVR), I just don't see it happening. Atlanta (11-5) returns bruising HB Michael "Burner" Turner (95 OVR, 97 Truck), who broke the team's single season rushing TD record, was the NFL's leading rusher in 2008, and had 220 yards on the ground in Week 1 of the 2008 season vs Detroit. Turner figures to be a beast in Madden 10, and the focal point of anyone looking to stop the Falcons in 2009. HB Jerious Norwood is the change of pace back and adds a much quicker option to the offense. The Falcons added Hall of Fame TE Tony Gonzalez (98 OVR) to team up with WR Roddy White (93 OVR) and give Matt Ryan two targets on Sunday that would make any veteran QB envious. FB Ovie Mughelli (85 OVR, 90 Impact Block) is worth mentioning as well. Mughelli helps open up those gaping holes for Turner and Norwood, is a great lead blocker and can also carry the football if needed. The OL is questionable at best with LT Sam Baker (84 OVR) being the best of the bunch.

Defensively, Atlanta is anchored by RE John Abraham (95 OVR), but lack any other significant playmakers on that side of the ball. Former Oklahoma University MLB Curtis Lofton (80 OVR) and newly acquired OLB Mike Peterson (80 OVR) will have to step up in 2009 for Atlanta to be effective in the front seven. The Falcons secondary is also lacking a playmaker, with FS Erik Coleman (78 OVR) joining Atlanta as the team's highest rated DB in Madden 10. Atlanta looks to be solid on special teams with K Jason Elam (92 OVR), P Michael Koenen (80 OVR) and return man HB Jerious Norwood (79 OVR, 97 ACC). The loss of WR Harry Douglas (68 OVR, 92 ACC) to a season ending ACL injury hurts them here.

3. New Orleans Saints - Madden 10 OVR Rating - 74

The 2008 New Orleans Saints (8-8) had one of the most impressive aerial attacks in NFL History. QB Drew Brees (96 OVR, 97 Throw Acc) fell only 16 yards short of passing the great Dan Marino for most single-season passing yards. One of Brees' most consistent targets is actually HB/KR Reggie Bush (79 OVR). Bush (87 Catch) is a great pass catching threat out of the backfield in Madden 10 and caught 52 passes for 440 yards with 4 touchdowns in only 10 games in the 2008 NFL Season. Among the more traditional targets, the Saints feature TE Jeremy Shockey (85 OVR), WR Marques Colston (87 OVR), and improving WR Lance Moore (81 OVR). The Saints have an above average O-Line with LT Jamaal Brown (93 OVR) being the standout of the group.

The New Orleans defense has seen some additions in 2009 including rookie CB Malcolm Jenkins (79 OVR), rookie DT Sedrick Ellis (85 OVR), and veteran FS Darren Sharper (87 OVR). MLB Jonathan Vilma (87 OVR) is back to wreak havoc in the middle of the field and rounds out New Orleans' group of playmakers on the defensive side of the ball. In the defensive backfield, New Orleans also upgraded the cornerback position with former Buffalo CB Jabari Greer (77 OVR). On special teams, Madden 10 has the Saints Kicker listed as Garrett Hartley (68 OVR). Punter is equally unsettled with P Glenn Pakulak (61 OVR) currently slated to play for New Orleans in 2009. The good news on special teams comes in the formerly mentioned Reggie Bush. Bush (90 Return) is one of the most dynamic punt returners in the NFL today and a threat to score every time he fields a punt.

4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Madden 10 OVR Rating - 74

Where to start? The Tampa Bay Buccaneers (9-7) have undergone major changes since the end of the last season. Head Coach Jon Gruden is gone, replaced by 2008 defensive backs coach Raheem Morris. A change at the top has led to many changes in player personnel as well. Gone are future Hall of Fame LB Derrick Brooks, QB Jeff Garcia, QB Brian Griese, career 10,000 yard rusher HB Warrick Dunn, and WR Joey Galloway. The Bucs new faces include QB Byron Leftwich (74 OVR) (who backed up QB Ben Roethlisberger last year), rookie QB Josh Freeman (73 OVR), HB Derrick Ward (84 OVR), TE Kellen Winslow (90 OVR), and K Mike Nugent (87 KP, 85 KA). The identity of the 2009 Buccaneers is still being determined and no one knows how the new players will "gel" with the veterans.

What we do know is that TB has some very talented players in Madden 10. RG Davin Joseph (93 OVR) is a mauler at G, while CB Ronde Barber (88 OVR) still locks down his side of the field, although he has lost a step. MLB Barrett Ruud (87 OVR) patrols the middle and WR Antonio Bryant (86 OVR) makes outstanding catches look ordinary. For the all of the talented players Tampa Bay has, they lack a playmaker at QB (a key in Madden 10), have questionable depth at WR behind Bryant, and lack a game changing player on the defensive line and at OLB. The safety opposite Darren Sharper figures to be veteran SS Roman Harper (75 OVR). Special teams play should be solid for Tampa Bay with P Josh Bidwell (80 OVR) and a training camp battle for K between free agent Mike Nugent (68 OVR) and incumbent Matt Bryant (78 OVR). The KR/PR position is a strength for the Tampa Bay Bucs. They have some players who can have an impact in the return game including WR Dexter Jackson (74 Return, 92 ACC) and HB Clifton Smith (88 Return, 90 ACC).

Madden NFL 10 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 murdamann10 @ 08/24/09 01:53 PM
Good article. Panthers are definitely going to stay on top of the NFC south this year.

# 2 PantherBeast_OS @ 08/24/09 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdamann10
Good article. Panthers are definitely going to stay on top of the NFC south this year.
Well as much as I want to believe in my panthers this year. So far they are looking poor this year. Plus with the Panthers leading FT out for the year and their MLB hurt right now with a MLC sprain/ slight tear. Carolina might not be having a good year. BTW this should be in the pro football forum and not in madden. Just letting you know bro.

# 3 SeventhWard @ 08/24/09 03:40 PM
All about the SAINTS, suckers!

# 4 murdamann10 @ 08/24/09 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherbeast
Well as much as I want to believe in my panthers this year. So far they are looking poor this year. Plus with the Panthers leading FT out for the year and their MLB hurt right now with a MLC sprain/ slight tear. Carolina might not be having a good year. BTW this should be in the pro football forum and not in madden. Just letting you know bro.
Yea I know we are gettin hit hard at injuries. Our FS (godfrey) is expected back in the early part of the regular season. I dont know what the deal is on Beason, but i'm not really worried. DT is a concern, but it has been ever since we lost Jenkins.

People are going to see our injuries, then assume we wont do anything this year, which is a perfect scenerio in my mind. We thrive as being the underdog, and we are certainly going to be the underdog for a while.

Lol at the saints. You guys have had a good pre-season, but im interested to see how long the saints last as the season goes on.

# 5 Vaporub83 @ 08/24/09 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhWard
All about the SAINTS, suckers!
The Saints will be bad like they are every year. They had one good season lets not make it seem like they have EVER been good. The Bucs will be better than most people believe.

# 6 SuperKyle @ 08/24/09 04:34 PM
WTF with the Sharper/Harper stuff? Neither one is on the Bucs! I don't know if you just copy/pasted that from somewhere else, but the Bucs' safeties are Sabby Piscatelli, Will Allen, Tanard Jackson (Susp) and possibly Jermaine Phillips. What were you smoking, buddy?
Otherwise, fine breakdown.

# 7 TheSaint92 @ 08/24/09 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaporub83
The Saints will be bad like they are every year. They had one good season lets not make it seem like they have EVER been good. The Bucs will be better than most people believe.
Yea but the Bucs won't be better than the Saints.

# 8 SeventhWard @ 08/24/09 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaporub83
Boy...you TRIPPIN!

The Bucs don't stand a chance.

Who's your starting QB? Do you even know? You cannot be serious thinking these boys are contenders this year.

Meanwhile - Payton & Brees are trying to get that Lombardi.

We've got room on the bandwagon, friend. Come on aboard.

-SeventhWard

# 9 spottieottiedop @ 08/24/09 07:30 PM
You guys are trippin'. It's the year of my Falcons. Besides there hasn't been a repeat NFC South champ ever. And it won't start this season.

# 10 murdamann10 @ 08/24/09 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spottieottiedop
You guys are trippin'. It's the year of my Falcons. Besides there hasn't been a repeat NFC South champ ever. And it won't start this season.
yea falcons look good. but keep in mind who they were playing this preseason, two teams that combined for 3 wins in 08. Yea they look sharp, but who wouldnt lol. I'm interested in how matt ryan does with his sophmore slump. Then the defense is always suspect.

# 11 wolverine2481 @ 08/24/09 08:54 PM
All I got to say is they have to get past THE DALLAS COWBOYS!!

# 12 Vaporub83 @ 08/24/09 09:01 PM
How old is Sharper? Since when do Safeties make the entire defense?

# 13 Vaporub83 @ 08/24/09 09:04 PM
I don't know if you paid attention last season but Brees almost broke the Passing yards in a season record and the Saints still only finished 8-8. So obviously you need more than a QB. Not to mention their non existent running game. Bush is not a RB in the NFL he is an athlete that's it.

# 14 marcoyk @ 08/24/09 09:08 PM
Good predictions, completely agree.

# 15 JohnDoe8865 @ 08/25/09 12:14 PM
The safeties comment was supposed to be for New Orleans, my bad on that. Not sure how it got put in with Tampa Bay. I revised it many times, I must have fouled it up in there somehow.

# 16 Frank784 @ 08/25/09 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKyle
WTF with the Sharper/Harper stuff? Neither one is on the Bucs! I don't know if you just copy/pasted that from somewhere else, but the Bucs' safeties are Sabby Piscatelli, Will Allen, Tanard Jackson (Susp) and possibly Jermaine Phillips. What were you smoking, buddy?
Otherwise, fine breakdown.
Lol, so true. Sharper is on the Saints, I believe Harper is as well. The Bucs starting safeties will be Sabby Piscitelli and Tanard Jackson. Jackson has been suspended 4 games and will likely be replaced by Will Allen, possibly Philips in spot duty.

# 17 tbbucsfan001 @ 08/27/09 10:11 PM
How is Clifton Smith only an 88 return? He was the kick returner for the NFC in the Pro Bowl!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.