Home

How will you guys build your team in AP2K8?

This is a discussion on How will you guys build your team in AP2K8? within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-22-2007, 08:23 PM   #49
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: How will you guys build your team in AP2K8?

I think this is going to be a really cool feature, and I'm glad that they are giving it a shot. I always liked to build my teams in other sports games based off of certain player abilities. In baseball games, I would find players to fit my style and preferences. I love determining if a player being poor offensively would make up for his great play in the field, and finding offensive geared backups that I can pinch hit later in the game if need be.

In basketball games, I enjoyed getting role players for my team, making sure I had strong 3 point shooters and players for the sole purpose of shutting the opponent down. I never really looked at football games like that. When I would build my team, I would mostly look for overall talent, because it never actually made much of a difference. I can't wait to make a team to my specifications.

I think I'm going to try my best to recreate the Steelers 3-4 defense from 2005. I really like the zone blitz, and hopefully with the right players for it. I'll try to find a ball hawking, play-making safety like Polamalu, a great blitzing LB like Joey Porter and a strong NT like Casey Hampton.

As a Viking fan, I think I'm going to mimic their offense (pre-Childress). I'll make sure I have a good possession receiver as my 2, and a tall, fast guy as my #1. QB isn't exactly a high priority, because many average guys had great success in that offense. Basically, you just need a strong armed guy. He doesn't really have to read defenses all that well (just look at Culpepper), and has to be willing to take some chances. Ideally, I could get a nice all-around back, with a bit of preference on speed.

All I know is that I'm excited for this, and it will take over my life for a long while.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:59 AM   #50
Banned

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Primarily because the offense has a problem identifying and dealing with the 4th and 5th rusher (whenever the defense sends 5). Secondly there is alot of shifting in the personell that goes on that causes problems. Third, 4 linebackers makes it easier to defend the Colts 2 x 1 Doubles formation.

I think when you look at the NFL the last few year's it is clear which systems have been most dominant in key areas. Without a doubt sacks and turnovers have belonged to either a 3-4 team or a team that runs multiple alignments. Last 3 years, Ravens, Chargers, Steelers. Other than the past SB, the previous three, Pitt, Pats, Pats = all 3-4 systems.

Anyways, I think both systems (3-4 and 4-3 Tampa 2) are great systems, but I think it is easier to build a 3-4. If you look at the Cover 2 teams you gotta have at least 3 stud DLinemen that can do everything. Let's look at the successful ones.

Tampa - Sapp, McFarlane, Rice = 3 Studs then the other guy was decent - Spires and White.
Colts - The Colts mixed the formula actually but, McFarlane, Simon, Brock (primarily a pass rusher), Freeney. Mathis was the other DE who was primarily just a pass rusher.

Vikings - they had the #1 run D last year. Williams, Williams, Udeze, Scott.

Bears - Harris, Boone and Johnson, Brown, Ogunleye

Like it or not you gotta invest money in at least 3 guys that can do everything. Plus you gotta have at least one linebacker with excellent cover skills ala Derrick Brooks and you need two good Safeties and at least one corner that is a stud in zone coverage.

As far as better blitzing. I don't know where you get that one from. There hasn't been a better Fire Zone Blitz coach in the game the last few year's than **** Lebeau. Rex Ryan has done a nice job of running a 3 deep 3 under scheme using Man 1/3's with the CB's for the Ravens and the Chargers Wade Phillips has been busting offenses right in the mouth with zone blitz calls. The key to all of these coaches schemes is movement, multiple fronts and alignments. Now I do think when it comes to multiple fronts and alignments, the 3-4 has the 4-3 beat. When a defense starts Flexing Ends and NT's then that's a huge problem for the offense and this is not something I have seen done in a Tampa 2 system.

Anyways run what ya want.
Thanks LB. In my experience in playing and watching football, the 3-4 gives you a lot more flexibility in regards to having more athletic personnell on the field. If you have a good linebacking core, it is one tough defense to contend with. But like you say in the above post, the 4-3 works just as well with the proper personnell. But when i see the ease with which the colts move the ball against most 4-3 defenses, I have to lean toward the 3-4.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:47 AM   #51
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaStar
Thanks LB. In my experience in playing and watching football, the 3-4 gives you a lot more flexibility in regards to having more athletic personnell on the field. If you have a good linebacking core, it is one tough defense to contend with. But like you say in the above post, the 4-3 works just as well with the proper personnell. But when i see the ease with which the colts move the ball against most 4-3 defenses, I have to lean toward the 3-4.
Yeah having that 4th guy down on the line and knowing that he's not a guy that is going to drop makes it easier for a team like the Colts to exploit your defense. The 3-4 is more flexible when it comes to spread alignments like the 2x1 Doubles formation that the Colts use for a majority of their offense, that's one of the reason I think Manning has more trouble with 3-4 defenses than he does 4-3. Most 4-3 teams will try to go nickel against that 2x1 doubles formation, but Manning will just run hurry up. With the 3-4 you don't need to do that. If you have great athletes you can stay with that same look and be just as effective against that 2x1 doubles formation. You also give up nothing against the run. A 4-3 team that moves to nickel is going to give up a bit on the run. I like the 4-3 but when it comes to a 2x1 doubles formation like that of the Colts and with the route combos they run, I'd rather have 3-4 easily.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2007, 12:37 PM   #52
Pro

OVR: 9

With all this 3-4 vs 4-3 talk, I really hope this game requires you to have a scheme and personel that match. In a lot of other football games I've found that you could run a 3-4 and still be relatively successful even if you had vastly undersized linemen and linebackers. I know there won't be a traditional 1-100 ratings system, but I hope whatever system they put into place takes scheme into consideration...like a stud 4-3 OLB being only a mediocre 3-4 OLB cuz he's undersized, or a small 4-3 speed rushing DE being completely useless as a 3-4 DE but usable as a 3-4 OLB. It would be really nice if this game made you pay for not knowing how to pick your players.
Old 04-24-2007, 12:50 PM   #53
Rookie

OVR: 4

My first choice would be an all-around RB that run over you with power or break your ankles with his moves, like the NFL's Ladainian Tomlinson. Then I would shift my focus to the Defense. Since I will be running a 3-4 defense, my first priority will be a power DT, then 2 edge rushing DE/OLB tweeners. My next move would be at least one shut down CB like Terrance Newman or Chris Mcalister. That would be my Core or Star Players. I would then build role players around them. I have been able to succeed without a true pro-bowl caliber QB in previous 2K5 games; hopefully, that holds true here. All I need is a QB that can make good reads and is accurate with his passes. I would then focus on an O-line. Again, they don't have to be pro-bowl caliber, but good enough to start and do their job well. If this "Team build" is anything like the NFL draft, I can get those players later on. Next I would shift my focus to role players that are good in few areas but aren't really the best in the league in their position, like the other CB, a FS, SS, ILBs, DEs, and WRs. I have had good success in bringing out the best in players and finding players that will work in my system. Now moving on, I hope this game has a killer create-a-playbook function. I have not found a game yet that can correctly represent the plays that I try to create on offense and defense. Hopefully that was one of the NFL restrictions that are taken advantage of in this game as well.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:36 PM   #54
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejackal25
With all this 3-4 vs 4-3 talk, I really hope this game requires you to have a scheme and personel that match. In a lot of other football games I've found that you could run a 3-4 and still be relatively successful even if you had vastly undersized linemen and linebackers. I know there won't be a traditional 1-100 ratings system, but I hope whatever system they put into place takes scheme into consideration...like a stud 4-3 OLB being only a mediocre 3-4 OLB cuz he's undersized, or a small 4-3 speed rushing DE being completely useless as a 3-4 DE but usable as a 3-4 OLB. It would be really nice if this game made you pay for not knowing how to pick your players.

Indeed I agree. Nothing like having Terrel Suggs pancake offensive guards

I agree the game needs to make you pick personnel for your scheme appropriately. I would also love to have that old 2k formula where speed on D is not everything.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:36 PM   #55
Rookie

OVR: 1

I'd have to start with a couple big offensive linemen, then switch to a run stuffing defensive tackle--pretty much concentrate on the lines first....

First skilled player would be a QB with the fifth pick or possibly a durable RB that can catch....Then switch to some CB's and LB's...the last picks would be WR's--they're a dime a dozen.

It will be absolutely wonderful to see how the franchise progresses, get to know these fictional players and their characteristics and then only to see it go up in flames at the end of the season and have to start from scratch....LAME! I just hope I'm still not playing 2K5 during this season. Regardless, 2K will still be better than Madden and kudos to them for taking a risk despite blowing it with the franchise mode.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »