Home

Is APF going to run at 60fps?

This is a discussion on Is APF going to run at 60fps? within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-22-2007, 01:28 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Is APF going to run at 60fps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarryTheWeight

Anyway, didn't ESPN NFL 2K5 run at 60 fps in the first place? I thought I read an article or Q&A way back before that particular game's release where a developer stated that it did run on that specific framerate...anyway, 60 FPS or not, it still was a smooth-running game of football.
I was under the impression most, if not all of the VC 2K football games ran at 60.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:27 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarryTheWeight
60 FPS is definitely an advantage. I know that it may be on different generations of hardware, but going from Forza Motorsport to Forza 2 was a night and day difference from my standpoint, the game just ran a whole lot smoother and responsive...which SHOULD happen if 2K programmed this game ideally to fit within a constant 60 frames per second. Other games have made sacrifices to run at 60 fps...take NCAA Football 08, which, according to an IGN article, had to nix helmet reflections this year, among other graphical details, for the game to run at a smooth 60. With the graphics engine for All-Pro not being as flashy or polished as Madden's is, I'm wondering if a constant 60 will be a reality. Again, it all depends on the developers and what stance they took in the programming and design phases.

Anyway, didn't ESPN NFL 2K5 run at 60 fps in the first place? I thought I read an article or Q&A way back before that particular game's release where a developer stated that it did run on that specific framerate...anyway, 60 FPS or not, it still was a smooth-running game of football.
60 fps would be average not constant. No game runs at a constant fps. There's always highs and lows throughout.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:49 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 7

Is 30 FPS that bad? I thought cinema movies run at only 24 FPS when I watch a movie it does not appear to be all choppy. Maybe I just do not know enough.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:20 PM   #20
MVP

bukktown's Arena

OVR: 19

Anyone know why 60fps is the magic number? 59 Fps just doesnt cut it and 61 is just visual overload?
Old 06-22-2007, 02:55 PM   #21
The OS Artist Guy

NYG_Meth's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukktown
Anyone know why 60fps is the magic number? 59 Fps just doesnt cut it and 61 is just visual overload?
60fps is a standard rate for rendering, as are 12, 24, 30, etc.

WebsiteFacebookTwitterYouTubeDeviantArt
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2007, 03:16 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKAraujo
Is 30 FPS that bad? I thought cinema movies run at only 24 FPS when I watch a movie it does not appear to be all choppy. Maybe I just do not know enough.
It's all temporal that's why. The bigger number always doesn't mean better for all cases.

30 fps wasn't bad until we got to 60 for gaming.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:03 PM   #23
MVP

icicle22's Arena

OVR: 7

60 frames per second is a magic number because beyond that our eyes have a hard time perceiving any difference. Home video and television news runs at 60fps and looks very much like what our eyes see in the real world. IT is essentially reality TV.

Movies run at 24fps because back in the golden era it was cheaper and used less film. 24fps was the magic number because that was the slowest they could go and have human eyes not see the gaps in between frames.

Through the years this 24fps has created a film-look or "historic" look that we associate with a "production" or an event that took place in the past. 60fps video, while looking much more like real life, has taken on a cheapnees....like soap operas and lame TV commercials and home videos.

Anyway....in real life an NFL sporting event is broadcast at 60fps and looks "live". This is what we want in sports games. But, for dramatic purposes, this same footage is often run through a digital process to convert it to 24fps and re-broadcast on "NFL films" or "inside the NFL" where it now looks more historic and has a classiness not associated with 60fps video.

That ends my brief lesson in framerates.

Something not to be overlooked is responsivesness. Years ago I discovered if the game had a very high framerate it usually was more responsive to button pressing. I think this is a side effect of a game that was not taxing the system having more avaialble resources to allocate to the controller. Games that have choopy frame rates are often pushing the system to the max and therefore leave a little bit of lag for the controller.

Here is an example on my old PC:

HIgh Heat Baseball was running around 60fps. The conttrl of the game was okay using a controller. I installed a higher end video card and the frame rate would shoot up to 100-110. Could my eyes perceive this? Not really. But all of a sudden my controller was more responsive. No delay when I swang the bat, not delay when throwing. It made all the difference in the world to the feel of the game. I could now pull pitches more naturally. I used to have to purposely swing a little early to make up for the latency.

I think this still applies some to console based games. If the system is so taxed rendering graphics and all the details that the framerate is slowing down, then the responsiveness of the games usually takes a hit too.

IMHO.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:25 PM   #24
C*rr*ntly *n L*f* T*lt

USF11's Arena

OVR: 19

I read a thing about car games. And the developer said that true to life car physics and control in Video Games would require 360 FPS.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »