Home

recreate NFL

This is a discussion on recreate NFL within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-04-2007, 12:16 PM   #41
Rookie

Phil21's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: recreate NFL

The way I thought about recreating the NFL would be to have an online league with others that are willing to try and recreate it. There would have to be 32 team online leagues first off. You'll have everyone edit their team to look like an NFL team. After editing their team to look like an NFL team, they join the league and when all 32 people edit their team and join you have yourself an NFL online league. With no legends of course.

Does anyone think this would work, because if it would we should probably assign teams on here and make the league private so no one joins with legends.

- OS Staff
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-04-2007, 01:49 PM   #42
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcain
Playbooks ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT GAMEPLAY FEATURE IN A FOOTBALL GAME! That is my biggest gameplay feature. I don't think I need to explain why this is. I can also mention spacing, speed, special teams. This isn't really about EA or 2k because frankly I take 2k's game engine over EA's everday of the week.

Why would a game have roster editing then take it out? Especially with generic players now. Two years ago 2k lost the ESPN license. In that time they could have got a generic studio team to do the weekly wrap up/halftime show but they didn't. Reviewing the Q/A at 2kfootball.com it would seem there are a lot of features that have been left out because the developers ran out of time or IMO LACKED DIRECTION.

Overall the whole development, build up and release of this game feels kind of half assed. They still don't know if they are going to make this next year or what the future is with this game. That speaks for itself when you talk about commitment to the consumers. Especially in the sports gaming market which has a very defined market cycle. If I knew this was the first NEXT GEN edition to get there feet wet and future editions of the game were more likely to include these features I would be content. But for now it seems like the last use of the great 2k football engine is going to be limited for vague reasons.
First, playbooks are very important... but they are NOT gameplay. They're tied to gameplay, just like the interactive sidelines, field pass, touchdown celebrations, etc (I picked these specifically b/c no one would call them anything but presentation). Playbooks are more important than any of those things mentioned, but they still are not gameplay.

With all that said, the 2k series was the first to mimic NFL playbooks I think in 2k2 or 2k3, and expanded on it up thru 2k5. They seem to have expanded further on this, have a ton of plays and you can assign any or all of them to your team. It seems you're more upset about not being able to create your own plays than there being a problem with the playbooks in the game. Plus, the reason they are important to gameplay is b/c of how realistic they make a certain team play, and it seems the focus of this game is to go to another level with building teams based on overall style. So the overall feel that a good playbook gives you has gotten a huge addition in this game.

Your next point is obvious. They weren't going to make a fully customizable game. End of story. There is a halftime show and no real word on what kind of updates are in season mode (weekly wrap up). Plus, they don't know if they're making another game b/c of money. You really seem to just be upset that they didn't make the game you wanted rather than trying to wrap your head around possibly enjoying the game they are making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QB16
^^^ Good post.

Aside from not wanting to upset the NFL, it does appear that a lack of direction was present. I would've been happy to have custom soundtracks instead of over-the-top-stadiums. I would have loved to have the same presentation sequence (because it was the best) over "Field Pass" and the rest of the watered down stuff they're doing now. Even the developer on 2Ksportsfootball admitted that this presentation in 2K8 does not touch 2K5... something I said during the first videos, people argued, but when a developer of the game says this it trumps those arguments.
What exactly is different than "Field Pass" that you're talking about? All in game presentation that I've seen has been 2k5 and then some. Are you talking off field stuff? Halftime show that we haven't seen but is said to be not as good as 2k5? As soon as the NFL and ESPN was taken it was a given that the overall presentation would take a hit (imo), but what I've seen on the field looks very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietcool72
jrcain,
long post
excellent post, quietcool. this sums everything up very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_max
I don't want to re-recreate NFL teams, that's what Madden is for, but it sure would be AWESOME to have a whole league of my own created teams and custom designs. Just like having your own completely separate league entirely.

Not letting people edit or import more created teams would have a backlash for those of us who wish to be creative with the game and have more options. Kind of sucks that it could possible be ruined because of people "possibly" trying to re-create NFL-ish teams.
It would be awesome, but it was never going to happen. I said the same thing when the game was just rumored and everyone jumped all over me then. It's not easy to just throw together a fully customizable game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil21
The way I thought about recreating the NFL would be to have an online league with others that are willing to try and recreate it. There would have to be 32 team online leagues first off. You'll have everyone edit their team to look like an NFL team. After editing their team to look like an NFL team, they join the league and when all 32 people edit their team and join you have yourself an NFL online league. With no legends of course.

Does anyone think this would work, because if it would we should probably assign teams on here and make the league private so no one joins with legends.
nope, won't be able to do that.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:29 PM   #43
Rookie

Phil21's Arena

OVR: 3

I really don't see why everyone believes we won't be able to recreate NFL teams and use them online. From the information we've recieved, you can create gold, silver, and bronze tiered players and use them online. You can edit your team to have the correct city and similar mascot as their NFL counterpart (ie. Pittsburgh Ironmen or Cleveland Dawgs).

I plan on creating a team like the Cleveland Browns so I'll have Kellen Winslow and Eric Steinbach as the 2 gold tiers. Braylon Edwards, Andra Davis, and Joe Thomas as the 3 silver tiers. And so on.. I can then use this team online and play exhibition games against people who have created an NFL replica too. And if I'm playing somone online who is using legends I'll choose one of my other created teams that has legends on it.

And this same idea should apply for online leagues too. From all the information i've read, I don't see how this can't be a possibility.

- OS Staff
Old 07-04-2007, 04:50 PM   #44
Hall Of Fame

bigfnjoe96's Arena

OVR: 28

Since people can't have their cake & eat-it to, this game is not worthy of a purchase... I really don't understand this @ all. We've known for month's that the USER would NOT be able to re-create the NFL, so how is this a problem NOW

I personally don't see a lack of direction from VC. What I do see is a development team, that wanted really bad to create a football game that takes FOOTBALL back to it's roots. To a time that FOOTBALL was loved not only by the fans, but by the players that played the game..

I have no problem with people being angry about Franchise Mode, or the ability to control more than 1 team during Season Mode. Allowing the USER to manipulate teams while in season mode. I really believe VC choose not to allow the USER such freedoms because this title has NO Franchise Mode.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:23 PM   #45
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
First, playbooks are very important... but they are NOT gameplay. They're tied to gameplay, just like the interactive sidelines, field pass, touchdown celebrations, etc (I picked these specifically b/c no one would call them anything but presentation). Playbooks are more important than any of those things mentioned, but they still are not gameplay.
Playbooks are gameplay. It even has the word play in it Playbooks are tied to the AI.

quietcool72, You make good points and know that I am buying this game and I know about the lack of customization. These items are not game killers but I still feel the need to voice my opinion and figure out why certain features are not in the game. Especially when I feel that the reasons are vague and weightless. I am not arguing what is in the game but the why behind "we decided not to go in that direction".

When a producer says that they will not include a create a play feature because it is too powerful for its consumers to handle that infuriates me. I don't care about cheese online, I play the game different than most of the folks on here. If they would give ME the create a play feature(which I would pay extra for wink wink 2k), then online give the option for "custom playbooks" on/off all this would be solved right? This is the type of progress I hope will come out of the discussion of why they are leaving features out.

For those who defend the game and the producers that is all fine and dandy but I would like to see a little more co-operative spirit from top down to make all of our gaming experiences better. I respect 2k and especially this game engine, glad they are putting out a football game but in future editions I am making sure they hear the complaints about what they didn't include. If that is the backlash they expect well, then maybe it is warranted not?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-05-2007, 02:35 AM   #46
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
You can edit your team only.

I haven't even heard if you can control CPU teams, assign the CPU custom playbooks and set their playcalling tendencies, all of which was possible in NFL 2K5 of course. And if it's not possible, this game is probably a no-purchase for me. All pretty weird when you think how Thomas and Chau promoted the game as the having the deepest customization imaginable.

2K should have gone the Pro Evo/Winning Eleven Route -

Make current NFL players have "fictional counterparts" in the game and make them editable.

Heck, EA's march madness employs a similar strategy for the college players.
Players have their actual real life jersey numbersand ratings and you just have to add in their names.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:28 AM   #47
All Star

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bats26

Make current NFL players have "fictional counterparts" in the game and make them editable.

Players have their actual real life jersey numbersand ratings and you just have to add in their names.

I gotta admit i am more psyched about having the legends than a pro evo route. I probably am on the older end of the gamers on this board but getting to play with guys like Billy Sims, Lester Hayes, Earl Campbell etc really is exciting to me. Especially, since some will have signature moves. I dont' know what the majority thinks but i like the way they went.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:04 AM   #48
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bats26

Coulda, shoulda, woulda Yeah, with every bit of info that’s be released over the past couple months, I end up more and more bewildered as to what 2K/VC was thinking when they planned this game out. Guess they were more interested in not offending the NFL over the next three years, than they were in selling copies of the game, now.

Great point about EA and their college game. Just goes to show what happens when a company doesn’t worry about certain issues and has the courage to just go for it: they sell copies of the game, now.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »