Home

Kind of hard to believe

This is a discussion on Kind of hard to believe within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-09-2007, 07:49 AM   #1

OVR: 34
Kind of hard to believe

With all the speculation, weirdness and highs and lows, it's almost hard to believe that this is the last full week before we see a football game from 2K Sports.

Remember the petition that went around right after the exclusive license came into being? How about the April fools trick OS played on its members that said we'd see a 2K football game? I suppose that was somewhat prophetic.

For me, the game is welcomed. Sure, it's not all I hoped for (especially in the offline dept), but just a few years after things went sour in the football gaming world, it looks like we'll have a pretty even lineup of games to choose from, and that too is welcomed.

You have to give 2K Sports credit for pulling it off. It's a big risk, but will most likely again prove that these sports games are best when there's multiple publishers in the mix.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2007, 08:27 AM   #2
Pro

quietcool72's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Kind of hard to believe

Agreed, and I think there's something else that has to be considered.

2K's parent company (T2) is in trouble, at least until GTA IV bails them out. I imagine that made it even more difficult to get the green-light on this product, especially when it appears that T2 and its stockholders want guaranteed "hits" and no risk at this point.

I imagine it took some serious effort and convincing on the part of the Visual Concepts people to get this game made.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:42 AM   #3
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietcool72
I imagine it took some serious effort and convincing on the part of the Visual Concepts people to get this game made.
Which speaks volumes about the shortsightedness of TT/2K. A fully customizable game to rival Madden should have been their top priority three years ago after they had captured the enthusiasm and interest of football gamers with 2K5. Great the game is finally coming out; sad it's years late and, in true TT/2K shortsighted fashion, a ton of features short.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:55 AM   #4
MVP

ausar72's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
Which speaks volumes about the shortsightedness of TT/2K. A fully customizable game to rival Madden should have been their top priority three years ago after they had captured the enthusiasm and interest of football gamers with 2K5. Great the game is finally coming out; sad it's years late and, in true TT/2K shortsighted fashion, a ton of features short.
???

So 2K Sports is now known for lacking features in their games?
Old 07-09-2007, 09:05 AM   #5
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausar72
???

So 2K Sports is now known for lacking features in their games?
I was referring to their shortsightedness regarding their football franchise. They should have released a fully customizable 2K6 ala PES/WE. Then when they finally get their act together, they alienate 75% of the gamers who might have been interested in a non-licenced product by releasing a featureless, non-customizable online-oriented football game. That's not even shortsighted; that's completely lacking in sight, period.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2007, 09:26 AM   #6

OVR: 34

Quote:
I was referring to their shortsightedness regarding their football franchise. They should have released a fully customizable 2K6 ala PES/WE. Then when they finally get their act together, they alienate 75% of the gamers who might have been interested in a non-licenced product by releasing a featureless, non-customizable online-oriented football game. That's not even shortsighted; that's completely lacking in sight, period.
No doubt there is an akwardness to their approach to this game. It seems that with all the features the game does have, there is a let down factor that seems to thread through the game.

I don't blame T2 though. I think all they did was give 2K Sports the go ahead. I place all the responsibility of making this game what it is on 2K Sports. In fact, T2 has taken a rather aggressive approach with their sports division. They knew they had to nab the MLB, and they did. Also, I believe recently, they talked in a conference call on the importance of investing in the sports division.

One thing that frustrates me is the excuse of "We want to respect the NFL and are hoping to bid on the license in the future, so we wanted to make a game that didn't anger the NFL."

If that's the case, then why do they take that jab at the NFL with the "None of the No Fun League stuff here" comment at the beginning of some of the games?
Old 07-09-2007, 09:34 AM   #7
All Star

OVR: 24

Quote:

Its your opinion and you could be right, but i disagree that a non-licensed NFL game would draw more gamers than the current game with legends. You might not like the way they used legends or might want more features but legends was the better call all around.

Most the casual gamers i know are more psyched to play with payton, sanders, elway then they would generic guys. Lets face it, most gamers do not download rosters (which a generic game would need to appeal to most) and most NFL2K5 customers bought because of the $20 price but still bought Madden.

I think it was a good idea to be different than Madden, hardcore and casuals alike can be excited about playing with these guys.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:06 AM   #8
Banned

OVR: 21

I also love the idea of getting to play with Legends like Lambert and non-legends like Greg Lloyd and Barry Foster. It seems like there are a handful of guys for whom this game is a let down, but I think there are plenty others who are glad the game turned out the way it did (considering the circumstances).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »