Home

Kind of hard to believe

This is a discussion on Kind of hard to believe within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-09-2007, 10:16 AM   #9
Banned

OVR: 26
Re: Kind of hard to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dQbell
I don't blame T2 though. I think all they did was give 2K Sports the go ahead. I place all the responsibility of making this game what it is on 2K Sports.
Is that something you know, or something you're guessing at? I don't know... seems whoever is in charge of game development is completely out of the loop. The Bigs? A sim baseball game that plays like an arcade game (MLB)? Resurrecting the best football series ever, but stripping it down in such a way that it only appeals to the smallest handful of football gamers?

I've heard in the world of business that companies can actually stay in existence longer by failing and writing things off as a tax loss, than by creating products people might purchase. Seriously, I sometimes wonder if this is TT's strategy to see them through the tough times they've been facing.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:22 AM   #10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrause1971
Its your opinion and you could be right, but i disagree that a non-licensed NFL game would draw more gamers than the current game with legends.
Two things: I mean fully-customizable, not an NFL game. Play create tool. Stadium edit tool. Customize the number of teams in a season; the playoff format, CPU rosters and playbooks, etc. Instead we get next to nothing. And on the flip side of that, I doubt PES/WE would still be going if it wasn't for the customization options.

I also don't think the legends idea is of much interest to that many gamers. I would guess the vast majority of gamers, if polled, would have preferred a generic game with the ability to edit players.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:32 AM   #11
All Star

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
Two things: I mean fully-customizable, not an NFL game. Play create tool. Stadium edit tool. Customize the number of teams in a season; the playoff format, CPU rosters and playbooks, etc. Instead we get next to nothing. And on the flip side of that, I doubt PES/WE would still be going if it wasn't for the customization options.

I also don't think the legends idea is of much interest to that many gamers. I would guess the vast majority of gamers, if polled, would have preferred a generic game with the ability to edit players.
I would like to see such a poll at a IGN for example, most the casual gamers i met rarely edit more than adding their name to a player or name one team. Alot don't even change the sliders.

As for the soccer game, #1 soccer is the most popular team sport in the world and #2 and more important- a real legion of fans follow the WE version. This game is an IP and Madden has always had the lion share of the market.

I guess we'll never know the true answer, and regardless we are not going to change the others opinion. I am psyched for this game however. Just hope it plays well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2007, 10:38 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 1

baa7 ...your argument has merit but I would just consider this...2k went out and signed license agreements with 240+ legends...this takes an enormous amount of time. Consider all the legal documentation and negotiation. Also consider the use of legends (i.e., all teams must have 10 legends, 24 teams, full season mode). I agree that full customization is the way to go... but I do think you need to make the game marketable without the NFL License..ergo 'Legends'..to draw in the casual gamer....then introduce your custom engine (which looks very robust) and then focus on all the features. The APF IP will be a viable threat to Madden and the NFL in the future and if anything gives 2K some negotiating power when the License comes up for renewal...
Old 07-09-2007, 10:38 AM   #13
Banned

OVR: 32

Yeah, I remember keep hope alive thread. 3 yrs is a long wait for a game. Good stuuf and APF is coming out on my birthday.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:44 AM   #14
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrause1971
I would like to see such a poll at a IGN for example, most the casual gamers i met rarely edit more than adding their name to a player or name one team. Alot don't even change the sliders.

As for the soccer game, #1 soccer is the most popular team sport in the world and #2 and more important- a real legion of fans follow the WE version. This game is an IP and Madden has always had the lion share of the market.
LOL, I think this is more an indictment of the intelligence level/attention span of the average North American compared with gamers on other continents

Good point; can’t dispute that, even if I don’t necessarily agree 100%. But in keeping with what I just said: Do you really think the average NA football gamer is interested in legends, let alone even heard of any of these guys? They know Vick and Owens and Urlacher and Lewis and maybe whoever the QB is that won the last Superbowl.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:45 AM   #15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunt
Good stuuf and APF is coming out on my birthday.
Hobbits give presents out to others on their birthday. You've ordered several hundred copies of APF for people here I assume?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2007, 10:49 AM   #16
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallydog
baa7 ...your argument has merit but I would just consider this...2k went out and signed license agreements with 240+ legends...this takes an enormous amount of time. Consider all the legal documentation and negotiation. Also consider the use of legends (i.e., all teams must have 10 legends, 24 teams, full season mode). I agree that full customization is the way to go... but I do think you need to make the game marketable without the NFL License..ergo 'Legends'..to draw in the casual gamer....then introduce your custom engine (which looks very robust) and then focus on all the features. The APF IP will be a viable threat to Madden and the NFL in the future and if anything gives 2K some negotiating power when the License comes up for renewal...
Oh yeah, it's all good. Obviously a good deal of thought/decision-making went into the game, regardless of what I would have preferred to see or think would have be wiser (me with my millions in investment money and all). And it's great a game is coming out at all - that I agree with as far as the OP's reason for starting this thread goes

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »