Home

Kind of hard to believe

This is a discussion on Kind of hard to believe within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-09-2007, 06:06 PM   #41
Pro

Sigma4Life's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Kind of hard to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwharton
I'm happy to see how the nba franchise has grown since then, but it's amazing how much interest nfl2k5 has held. Finn seriously deserves a ton of credit for that. 2ksports should hit him up with a shiny new black 360 and a free copy of 2k8. And honestly, if he had simply decided to charge a couple of bucks he probably could've gotten enough for that 10 times over.
At the risk of sounding like an idiot, who is finn and what did he do that's so great?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2007, 06:13 PM   #42
*ll St*r

wwharton's Arena

OVR: 28

I'm going to let someone else go into more detail than I can b/c he deserves it and I haven't been playing 2k5 for the last 3 years. Short summary... he created an editor that allowed you to quickly and easily keep rosters updated, adjust ratings, create new schedules, etc. in 2k5. Again, I'm not the best to answer your question but I do know enough to know he's a HUGE reason why many people still play the game now (some went and bought another xbox to get it again).
Old 07-09-2007, 06:17 PM   #43
R**k**

Diesel3649's Arena

OVR: 3

2K has stated that they where very careful to not anger the NFL. So my question is, if they gave us the game some have asked for, completely generic roster and stadiums, and they gave us the editor to change them the way some want to, and I asume these people want to create a mirror of the NFL, team rosters and stadium names etc., you would not have been able to take any of it online. They have already stated as much.

You would still have to play online with the completly generic roster of The Seattle MeatWhistles. Would that have been enough to create the type of sales that they would need to have a 2K9? I'm not so sure.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:11 PM   #44
MVP

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dQbell
lol..Maybe that's how I feel..I dunno.

The exclusive did what EA wanted, wrap up the NFL for only them to use and thereby giving them profit.

I'm still excited for this game. It's not all I dreamed it would be, but I knew that when I was dreaming. I would get in the thick of it on all the discussions...Natural Motion, Customization...etc. But, I never expected to be so underwhelmed. I know many are going to behead me for that, but seriously, other than some nice animations and the novelty of playing with legends, what's going to sustain this game?

Don't get me wrong, it's great that the game is coming out. I'm still excited. I just thought I'd be more along the lines of stolked.
I just thought it was funny. I'm with you 100%. We'll have to get a game in on XBL.
Old 07-09-2007, 09:24 PM   #45
Rookie

OVR: 2

I think this game without a fran. is a rental. i just don't see spending 60.00 bucks on a 1 season game. but that;s just me I enjoy building a fran.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-09-2007, 09:32 PM   #46
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I agree, it really should be $40, not $60. And I was expecting a bit more too from the team that bought us NFL2K5. Also, with the lack of information it almost seems like we are a couple months out at least from the game dropping, not a week.
This is one of the places I knew the $20 price point hurt them imo - perception. I really don't get the price argument, when there are many [seemingly] lesser games out there - both sports or otherwise - that retail for the msrp of $59.99. Madden last gen is gonna retail for $10 more than most last gen games are - and likely will be little more than a roster update. Yet there's no complaining, no one's upset - and it's going to sell a bundle. Few if any are campaigning for a lesser price, which would seemingly make sense. And I don't blame them for selling at the higher price when people are anxious to pay it. Why does APF, a generic game that's a wonder it exists, have all these high expectations placed on it and not have those same expectations placed on all devs? If anything, this game should have less expected of it given it's far tougher road to reality

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 07-09-2007, 10:37 PM   #47
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
I think what also needs to be considered is full customization adds that many more variables to things that can possibly go wrong. Even w/the game having the level of customization it has, I'd be shocked that there isn't something that people are irritated with that cause an issue - be it stat tracking, or something occurring to created players when uploading them to play online, balanceor some other issue. It's easy to forget that this is the first iteration of APF and given the points QC and DQ made, I just don't see how they could account for the infinite number of things that people will find given the open-ended (albeit limited) nature of the game. I think full customization is something they'll have to build up to; not something that I'd expect to get nailed out of the gate
You know, that game Maxium Football for PC (fully customizable in just about every way one could dream) was built by one solitary guy. It had it's bugs but it was still very much playable, and I imagine that if he had a team of guys to help him there would've been less problems.

There are bugs in lots of products, but my feeling is that if time is taken and there are enough talented guys in the mix to make it happen, something exceptional can be produced. 2K's biggest problem in terms of quality, is that they seem to not concern themselves with many bugs and it negatively affects the overall product.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:43 PM   #48
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
This is one of the places I knew the $20 price point hurt them imo - perception. I really don't get the price argument, when there are many [seemingly] lesser games out there - both sports or otherwise - that retail for the msrp of $59.99. Madden last gen is gonna retail for $10 more than most last gen games are - and likely will be little more than a roster update. Yet there's no complaining, no one's upset - and it's going to sell a bundle. Few if any are campaigning for a lesser price, which would seemingly make sense. And I don't blame them for selling at the higher price when people are anxious to pay it. Why does APF, a generic game that's a wonder it exists, have all these high expectations placed on it and not have those same expectations placed on all devs? If anything, this game should have less expected of it given it's far tougher road to reality
I'm getting a feeling of deja vu, LOL, we did debate this quite lengthily already. But to answer your basic question, regarding the average general consumer: EA can get away with it because they have more market clout and firmly entrenched and established products with massive name recognition.

Now as for me, why I and others like me who are already buying NCAA & Madden, it's simply a situation of buying 3 football games in the same month. And yeah, APF2K8 could be better than either NCAA or Madden one, but I know what i'm getting with NCAA/Madden and with All Pro I don't. So people like me will make it a given to buy EA Sports games and then perhaps be done with spending money on football games.

Not saying those people may not still buy it at a later date when it's cheaper though..

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »