Home

APF estimated sales - week 2

This is a discussion on APF estimated sales - week 2 within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-02-2007, 02:26 PM   #65
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: APF estimated sales - week 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerik
You cannot possibly make me believe that 2K didn't know this game would sell. They released media like Jerry Rice's face and about one million posts sprung up on the internet at the same time, hailing the return of 2K football. Hell, I still see people on my friends list playing 2K5 because it's held in such high regard. They knew this game would sell and they know they can depend on people like you to give them a free pass because they're still masquerading as an upstart, fly-by-night operation sticking it to the big bad established EA.

Guess what - 2K currently has three very successful franchises in all three other major sports. They're no longer the little guy taking a "huge risk" by making a game to undercut the evil empire competition. This myth that 2K is a small upstart company needs to stop right now and they need to be held to the same standards that everyone else is. They're a big company and they actually do know how to make quality games, so that's what we should expect from them.

I also really liked the "stripped down" comment, as if 2K8 isn't a stripped down version of 2K5.
It is not stripped down in gameplay which to me right now is the only thing that matters.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2007, 02:27 PM   #66
UGH, next year

cjonesfan921's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcxiv
What people do not realize is they never expected this game to sell 1million or so copies in its first few weeks. They said they are making this game for their hardcore fans. They need to sell just enough in order to make a game for next year. Well, a developer on the 2k forums has already posted an idea thread for 2k9.

Again, all they need to do is make enough money to see if there is a market for this kind of game.

THey were not going to drop a insane amount of money on this game in order for it to just flop. Its a budget game.
Wow. Budget game? They did drop an insane amount of money, how much do you think they paid for all these legends? Also, they new it would sell, just read the point Skerik brought up.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:27 PM   #67
Living in this tube

Skerik's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMonroy
It is not stripped down in gameplay which to me right now is the only thing that matters.
It's not improved either. Or do you actually regard 2K8 as a three year improvement over 2K5?
Old 08-02-2007, 02:28 PM   #68
UGH, next year

cjonesfan921's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMonroy
Neither is NCAA. The problem I have with APF, is that 2K didn't even fix the problems that were there, 3 years ago. There will always be problems in a game, but when you don't fix something that was there 3 years ago, that's inexcusable. EA has done the same in the past, but in this case, the INTs problem, was never a problem before. Should they be given a pass? No, of course not.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:29 PM   #69

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by coogrfan
300,000 would be pretty good, but how likely is that at this point? They're only 1/3 of the way to that number after the first two weeks, which if you believe the chart Trev posted are the peek sales period for new games.

At this stage I'd say 200,00 is probably more realistic.
I'd say 200,000 is a solid number, but I think the game, for being priced at 59.99, and have no major brand attached to it, has done fairly well.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:29 PM   #70
It is now the SW Era

muggins's Arena

OVR: 25

Quote:
You cannot possibly make me believe that 2K didn't know this game would sell. They released media like Jerry Rice's face and about one million posts sprung up on the internet at the same time, hailing the return of 2K football. Hell, I still see people on my friends list playing 2K5 because it's held in such high regard. They knew this game would sell and they know they can depend on people like you to give them a free pass because they're still masquerading as an upstart, fly-by-night operation sticking it to the big bad established EA.

Guess what - 2K currently has three very successful franchises in all three other major sports. They're no longer the little guy taking a "huge risk" by making a game to undercut the evil empire competition. This myth that 2K is a small upstart company needs to stop right now and they need to be held to the same standards that everyone else is. They're a big company and they actually do know how to make quality games, so that's what we should expect from them.

I also really liked the "stripped down" comment, as if 2K8 isn't a stripped down version of 2K5.
I dunno, compared to EASPORTS who has been producing Madden for what, over 15 years? they're still small and still an upstart. To put out a product (after being forced out of the business by a business deal) without an NFL license is huge.

Obviously there are issues with the game. I don't give them a free pass. I'm not part of the '2K defense force' as has been posted before in victim statements.

BAD BOYS BAD BOYS
Old 08-02-2007, 02:29 PM   #71
All Star

bkfount's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:

I like this post. CH2k7 was a great game, yet I didn't see anything about it until I actually worked at a conference championship tournament. They had a booth set up.

2k constantly fails at marketing their games, and they always get a pass. 2k talks about their hardcore fans, but do nothing with them, except take their $60. 2k fans even take it on themselves to expose people to the games, which is a little overboard.

EA is the king at building and maintaing a whole culture around madden, it's amazing what they can do marketing that game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2007, 02:30 PM   #72
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcxiv
What people do not realize is they never expected this game to sell 1million or so copies in its first few weeks. They said they are making this game for their hardcore fans. They need to sell just enough in order to make a game for next year. Well, a developer on the 2k forums has already posted an idea thread for 2k9.

Again, all they need to do is make enough money to see if there is a market for this kind of game.

THey were not going to drop a insane amount of money on this game in order for it to just flop. Its a budget game.
I got a connect with 2k and from what I was told the game is selling at the clip they predicted so its not doom and gloom for them and the game will make a profit at its current pace the legends were paid 15,000 for 3 years costing 2k roughly 3.6 mil so theyve recouped that already but now they must recoup developmental costs and advertising which will easily be accomplished I believe

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »