Home

The one thing missing from all football games: The Errant Pass, The Rushing Game

This is a discussion on The one thing missing from all football games: The Errant Pass, The Rushing Game within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-05-2007, 06:42 PM   #25
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: The one thing missing from all football games: The Errant Pass, The Rushing Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunelly
No, that's not what he means.

Errant throw as in physical throw. Not errant as in decision made. Errant bad throws are rare in this game. I talked about this a long time ago. 80 yd passes are always perfectly caught in stride if no defender is in the way. Test this in practice with no defense, with rice + montana. I've actually emailed the devs about this already.
If you want to see a good example of this, sub in a kicker for QB. You'll see mistakes that real QBs make all the time.
Montana to Rice? Are you serious?

Montana may not have been able to put it up 80 yards, but you better believe that he SHOULD hit Rice in stride everytime. As accurate as Montana was deep, he could put it anywhere on the field within his range. And if Montana is throwing to that spot, Rice should be able to go get it.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2007, 07:01 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: The one thing missing from all football games: The Errant Pass, The Rushing Game

Sorry but no qb can accurately throw a 60+ yd pass everytime.
There will be overthrown and underthrown balls.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:34 PM   #27
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

Quote:
Well the decent college QB's I play with must be awesome. No QB throws to a person on streaks, they throw to spots. The left upright, 2 yds outside the numbers, etc. With pressure, as the first poster alluded to, this changes alot. But you better believe a HOF QB and HOF WR can link up more often than not.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 11-05-2007, 07:46 PM   #28
Banned

OVR: 19

Quote:
Oh Really.... Any decent QB will be able to hit a WR in stride 90% of the time on a streak, its not that hard of a throw even I can do it
Old 11-05-2007, 08:30 PM   #29
Or should I

catcatch22's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason81Ballin!!!
Oh Really.... Any decent QB will be able to hit a WR in stride 90% of the time on a streak, its not that hard of a throw even I can do it
It's not the accuracy of the throw but the guy getting the ball. Deep bombs are only effective when the receiver has the ability to go for them. The Catch radius for the receivers in the game are way to high compared to the defensive players.

90% of the time in the game when a deep ball is thrown you almost always know the receiver is gonna get it. Lynn Swann, Randy Moss yes but Rice was more a possesion guy who turned 5-10 yard catches into 80 yard touchdowns. There were some corner and post deep balls he caught but not the 60+ (on the throw alone, not throw and catch) ones like Swann and Moss catch. I remember a regular season game or was it a playoff game against the Giants in the 80's Rice caught one between the corner and the safety thrown by Montana to end a close faught tie game in the 4th, but the throw itself was not 60+. Not that Rice could have not been able to out jump a guy for one but that was not Montana's forte to throw 60+ throws.

Guys who can throw the long bombs are not that accurate, its usually on the backs of the talent of the receiver and in that vain Rice was not known for that part of his game. Not saying that he couldn't be a 60+ bomb catch guy but most of his big yardage catches were not 60+ bombs off the throw alone. 20, 30 even 40 but some of the throws that can be made in the game are not jump balls or throws where the guy has to really run hard to get or dive, but are on stride perfect for 60+.

If it was that easy everyone would do it all the time. Its one way in practice but in game conditions its a total different story. There should be more overthrows and picks when someone throws it deep,
Old 11-05-2007, 08:58 PM   #30
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcatch22
It's not the accuracy of the throw but the guy getting the ball. Deep bombs are only effective when the receiver has the ability to go for them. The Catch radius for the receivers in the game are way to high compared to the defensive players.

90% of the time in the game when a deep ball is thrown you almost always know the receiver is gonna get it. Lynn Swann, Randy Moss yes but Rice was more a possesion guy who turned 5-10 yard catches into 80 yard touchdowns. There were some corner and post deep balls he caught but not the 60+ (on the throw alone, not throw and catch) ones like Swann and Moss catch. I remember a regular season game or was it a playoff game against the Giants in the 80's Rice caught one between the corner and the safety thrown by Montana to end a close faught tie game in the 4th, but the throw itself was not 60+. Not that Rice could have not been able to out jump a guy for one but that was not Montana's forte to throw 60+ throws.

Guys who can throw the long bombs are not that accurate, its usually on the backs of the talent of the receiver and in that vain Rice was not known for that part of his game. Not saying that he couldn't be a 60+ bomb catch guy but most of his big yardage catches were not 60+ bombs off the throw alone. 20, 30 even 40 but some of the throws that can be made in the game are not jump balls or throws where the guy has to really run hard to get or dive, but are on stride perfect for 60+.

If it was that easy everyone would do it all the time. Its one way in practice but in game conditions its a total different story. There should be more overthrows and picks when someone throws it deep,
That's not what this guy is talking about however. He's talking about practice mode with no pressure.

I agree with you for the most part, however if Rice has a step on a defender, you better believe that unless that defender has great ball skills......he will hit him in stride. Sure it was not his forte, but obviously he could do it. Montana could throw the deep ball better than most realized and Jerry had great ball skill and could haul it down(refer to those Redskin battles). Did they do it alot? No, it was neither a characteristic of that scheme nor did most defenses make it available.

I agree with you for the most part, however. Certain QB's and WR's should have a much tougher time than what is currently in the game. However, dunnelly gives a horrible example.
-Rocky Balboa
Old 11-05-2007, 11:48 PM   #31
Banned

OVR: 19

Oh Catch22 I agree with you, and Rocky but look at a guy like Jeff Garcia who is not known for a strong arm has been able to throw the deep ball to Galloway and has hit him in stride with Garcia having to use his legs to get out of the pocket.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2007, 11:59 PM   #32
Or should I

catcatch22's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason81Ballin!!!
Oh Catch22 I agree with you, and Rocky but look at a guy like Jeff Garcia who is not known for a strong arm has been able to throw the deep ball to Galloway and has hit him in stride with Garcia having to use his legs to get out of the pocket.
50 to 60+ throws? I mean 50 to 60 yards on the fly between the throw then the catch. 20, 30 and I may even give you 40, but anything above that is hit or miss unless the QB has a gun and the receiver is capable of getting it. Not to mention coverage.

Not saying it can't happen but there definitely needs to be more over-under thrown deep balls where a jump ball is forced or diving is absolutely neccesary.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »