Home

Why All-Pro Football Still Trumps Madden

This is a discussion on Why All-Pro Football Still Trumps Madden within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-10-2009, 12:04 AM   #97
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: Why All-Pro Football Still Trumps Madden

The only thing holding APF2k8 back is the lack of a franchise mode and the lack of roster sharing online. Despite this, I really do enjoy the different perspective the game brings; playing with the legends brings me back to the days of Tecmo Super Bowl. Heck, I like seeing all the unique uniforms, team makeups, and stadiums. And I'm having a blast mixing and matching my team, fiddling with all the uniform options, and of course, the gameplay on the field is the defining mark of APF2k8.

They should've added roster sharing and franchise mode to keep the short attention span people entertained, but for the (now) bargain price of $5, I feel like I more then got my money's worth. For the $60 that Madden 10 costs, I feel like I got an upgraded roster, presentation, feature, and visual set while the product on the field remains the same as it was when the NFL exclusivity deal began.

Just having this discussion is all you need to know when analyzing how damaging the NFL deal has been on customer satisfaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Old 09-10-2009, 01:05 AM   #98
Rookie

snugglyirishman's Arena

OVR: 4
I agree wholeheartedly about the Run blocking section....it is perhaps the most frustrating thing about the game. While my "superstar" has had some success (racking up 1,080 yards as a rook), there are times where the blockers go right past the guy and leave me out to dry. I thought the battles at the line were something that madden was suppose to fix and that the blocking was suppose to be the most realistic yet....what happened?
Old 09-10-2009, 01:06 AM   #99
Rookie

snugglyirishman's Arena

OVR: 4
I agree wholeheartedly about the Run blocking section....it is perhaps the most frustrating thing about the game. While my "superstar" has had some success (racking up 1,080 yards as a rook), there are times where the blockers go right past the guy and leave me out to dry. I thought the battles at the line were something that madden was suppose to fix and that the blocking was suppose to be the most realistic yet....what happened?
Old 09-10-2009, 01:34 AM   #100
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
The only thing holding APF2k8 back is the lack of a franchise mode and the lack of roster sharing online.
You can share rosters, as long as you have a way to get them to a card or your hard drive.

How to Transfer Rosters - http://www.2kfootballstrategy.com/mo...ansfer_Rosters

Rosters Available for Download - http://www.2kfootballstrategy.com/mo...download&cid=5
Old 09-10-2009, 02:53 AM   #101
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyguyfl31
I never used any of the dime and nickle defenses as a base D in APF but played against good players who used those set ups, and it is very very effective.

I loved playing APF just as much as the next person here.

My favorite part of the game was the drop back passing, but I honestly cannot possibly see myself going back to playing that game regularly, other then for an occasional lobby match cameo.

I havent felt one single impulse to play that game for about 8 weeks.

There are a ton of flaws in that game, and I'm really stunned that everyone in this thread are flat ignoring them.

For every shortcoming that you can make about Madden's blocking, you can do the same for APF in a whole array of scenarios.

People want to rave about APF's route running, yet ignore that a career possession receiver like Dwight Clark, plays like Randy Moss.

People seem to want to ignore the various animations that casue DBs to freeze, or take pass defenders straight out of plays, or balls morphing through defenders because a reciever or QB has some magical intagibles attribute like clutch, or mr. 3rd down.

I know I'm not the only one, who remembers how defending the run in man coverage consistantly, was an adventure, since your LBs were prone to just stand around and let blockers slam into them, and that defenders ran right to the man they were "assigned" to, rather then diagnose the play and attack the LOS.

I just dont get it. APF was a "good" game, that was basically thrown together.

The fact that it lasted as long as it did had as much to do with a lack of an alternative to play that made any sense, as anything else.

This year, that changed..and to me, both NCAA and Madden are just overall better games
Clutch is a magical attribute just ask the players that played with Joe Montana. You see the believer in their eyes. It was cool when you played qbs with 4th quarters/clutch because you know in certain situations there are more going to make plays. It is good that game try to simulate what made a player special and even better when you get stops.

Stopping the run with man coverage is more difficult because the first read is their man. Playing zone their awareness was much better and playing with Greg was amazing.

Dwight Clark was a beast in that wco and he did not play like Randy Moss. James Lofton played like Randy Moss but we have personnel experts on this board to break down players.

I always love how zones were played in this game. I always used generic cornerbacks and able to use legends up the middle (DT,MLB,Safeties) and in my defensive scheme I created long drives.

2K8 ISN'T perfect but APF2k8 played a great brand of football.

Here is the secret about APF2k8 season mode is some of the greatest human vs cpu games ever. CPU qb ai is realistic. Playing against Dan Marino is amazing knowing that he could get the ball out quick with a strong arm. Just a great overall game but I am not a franchise player.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2009, 04:55 AM   #102
Banned

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkid123
you think ea cares?

they are getting money off of crap.
You got a red card for that comment?? Bloody ridiculous.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:00 AM   #103
Rookie

OVR: 5
oh yea....so glad sumone else can see how HORRIBLE the blocking is on madden. the game tester need to get their asses beat for lettin every point u made get put into the. little dumb things make madden stupid. idk anout that all pro football stuff tho. madden would b perfect if they could fix everything u stated in this article
Old 09-10-2009, 08:29 AM   #104
Banned

OVR: 17
One of the best articles yet.... All pro football 2k8 has the best and smoothest gameplay yet.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »