Home

Convince 2K Sports to make another Football game ?

This is a discussion on Convince 2K Sports to make another Football game ? within the All Pro Football 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-22-2009, 08:08 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 27
Re: Convince 2K Sports to make another Football game ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedwebb
I don't know how many of you watched on ESPN the rise and fall of the USFL, but it was awsome. What a league and almost was something special. There was so much talent that played in that league that went on to become hall of famers in the NFL.

Watching that made me think of APF 2k8 and what if 2k made a game based on what the USFL was. Very similar to the NFL setup. I would be all over a 2k football game that just put in generic players and the ability to create another USFL type league being able to customize the unis and stadiums. I would love a game like this. C'mon 2k....make a game that has no boundaries.
I've never seen the point of the USFL idea. It has no marketing appeal because most of the people who are going to buy the game either don't remember it or weren't born when it existed. There would have to be a NEW USFL league in real life, and it would have to be successful to legitimize it all.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:14 AM   #10
MVP

OVR: 34

If 2k thought a generic, customizable football game was worth the time and effort to do, and if they believed that it would sell, I have to believe that they would have done it by now.

Its been over 4 years already. they have had ample time to go down this road, if that is what they wanted to do.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:21 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 55

The lead designer to 2k8 is making a browser based coaching simulation = quick hit football. That sucks in the sense that 2k's football creating talent is leaving, but it is great in the sense that his talents are still being used in a football game somewhere. It is free to check out, too. I like it so far... it is still in the beta stage.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2009, 08:33 AM   #12
MVP

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor-17
Hey guys. I filled out the form on the page and basically stated(begged) that 2k had a great idea with 2k8, but needed to make it with fictional teams and players. Told them that they should include a uniform editor like pro evo soccer.

I received an email from Ronnie at 2k stating that he felt my pain, but without the NFL license, it was hard to market and sell an unlicensed football game. He said that there was not a new football game coming anytime soon, if ever.

So....that sucked. But, at least he heard me and responded.
I've spoken to Ronnie and I feel bad for him. He's been assaulted a number of times by 2K fans for things he had no control over. I'm sure he's only saying what he's been told to say, but I'm tired of 2K pretending like marketing the game is the issue. They're not being truthful with the public here, or at least they're trying to take a "I've fallen and I can't get up" angle.

Let me put it this way... the way THEY market a game is an issue, because quite frankly they are not very good at it. But even with it being an issue, they can certainly still make a strong enough profit. For example, APF 2K8 sold more copies than their recent NHL releases. You know why they didn't make a good profit off of APF? Because they sunk so much money into signing individual legends to contracts.

APF sold what, 380,000 copies? So let's say you got rid of the legends, and let's say that at least 100,000 people bought the game because of the legends... 2K still would've made somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 Million dollars or so off the game (not deducting staff salaries for the project and other miscellaneous expenses.. so profit might be down to the single-digit millions after that). Sure, that's not a lot of money compared to blockbuster games, but it would've been a profit and enough to keep producing games and building the fanbase. So to me, their excuses don't cut it.

If you know that you could put out an unlicensed game that will outsell a licensed game (NHL) by as much as 3 times and you don't do it, it's because you've lost the desire. Don't blame it on the marketing climate, especially when most of the marketing issues were created by you and the channels you employed.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:25 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
I've spoken to Ronnie and I feel bad for him. He's been assaulted a number of times by 2K fans for things he had no control over. I'm sure he's only saying what he's been told to say, but I'm tired of 2K pretending like marketing the game is the issue. They're not being truthful with the public here, or at least they're trying to take a "I've fallen and I can't get up" angle.

Let me put it this way... the way THEY market a game is an issue, because quite frankly they are not very good at it. But even with it being an issue, they can certainly still make a strong enough profit. For example, APF 2K8 sold more copies than their recent NHL releases. You know why they didn't make a good profit off of APF? Because they sunk so much money into signing individual legends to contracts.

APF sold what, 380,000 copies? So let's say you got rid of the legends, and let's say that at least 100,000 people bought the game because of the legends... 2K still would've made somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 Million dollars or so off the game (not deducting staff salaries for the project and other miscellaneous expenses.. so profit might be down to the single-digit millions after that). Sure, that's not a lot of money compared to blockbuster games, but it would've been a profit and enough to keep producing games and building the fanbase. So to me, their excuses don't cut it.

If you know that you could put out an unlicensed game that will outsell a licensed game (NHL) by as much as 3 times and you don't do it, it's because you've lost the desire. Don't blame it on the marketing climate, especially when most of the marketing issues were created by you and the channels you employed.
I agree with your post.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:52 PM   #14
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28

I dunno. Call me crazy but I still have a feeling the fabled Backbreaker engine & the 2K football engine will spit out a baby hopefully soon.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:22 PM   #15
MVP

KillRoy's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
You know why they didn't make a good profit off of APF? Because they sunk so much money into signing individual legends to contracts.

What I don't understand is why didn't they just hire ONE quarterback and name the product after him? Why payout all that money for so many names? Why not just payout money for a guy like Peyton Manning or Tom Brady and just name the game after one of these guys. Like call it... 'Peyton Manning Pro Quarterback' or something like this. And heavily modify the 2k engine and make a new type of game thats a little more passer friendly. Or whatever they choose to do... we've played the 2k game, why not create something a little different?

Personally, if it was up to me, I would scrap the 2k football game for a while and make a really cool highly detailed 2D football game that can be downloaded off of Xbox Live Arcade or Wiiware. And give it an online franchise where people can trade players, play against each other and it tracks your stats over the course of like 5-10 seasons. People are still showing some interest in the 2D games that are being sold on Xbox Live and Wiiware. I'm surprised that some game company hasn't made one yet.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2009, 05:37 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillRoy
What I don't understand is why didn't they just hire ONE quarterback and name the product after him? Why payout all that money for so many names? Why not just payout money for a guy like Peyton Manning or Tom Brady and just name the game after one of these guys. Like call it... 'Peyton Manning Pro Quarterback' or something like this. And heavily modify the 2k engine and make a new type of game thats a little more passer friendly. Or whatever they choose to do... we've played the 2k game, why not create something a little different?

Personally, if it was up to me, I would scrap the 2k football game for a while and make a really cool highly detailed 2D football game that can be downloaded off of Xbox Live Arcade or Wiiware. And give it an online franchise where people can trade players, play against each other and it tracks your stats over the course of like 5-10 seasons. People are still showing some interest in the 2D games that are being sold on Xbox Live and Wiiware. I'm surprised that some game company hasn't made one yet.
Quickhit football is somewhat like this. They are 2k and have these out of gameplay team builder type features similar to what you are describing. Interestingly enough the 2k8 lead developer is working on it. He may be thinking what you just wrote.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > All Pro Football 2K »