Home

Backbreaker Ratings System

This is a discussion on Backbreaker Ratings System within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-06-2010, 04:46 PM   #41
Hall Of Fame

JayBee74's Arena

OVR: 36
Re: Backbreaker Ratings System

I liked the 1-15 player rating scale that the earlier Madden games had.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2010, 05:27 PM   #42
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
I honestly prefer APFs system. For one, it makes recreating real life players that much easier. I don't wanna go through 20 different ratings to recreate Donald Driver. I know he is clutch on 3rd down and excels at route running and catching the ball in traffic. He doesn't possess elite speed but is around the average at everything else a wr needs to do. Give him his skills and a hit on his speed rating and I'm done.
The thing about that, though, is how would you take another possession receiver that's, say, a half-step faster than Driver with the same skill profile? How do you make the two WR different as they are in real life? Neither is elite enough for an "ability" for speed, but they don't have the same speed.

Heck, even for the CIT - maybe Driver is #5 at catch in traffic in the game, good enough for an "ability" but this other guy is #4 - also good enough for an "ability" - but you do you make them different if they both have the "ability" and that's all you can set?
Old 02-07-2010, 06:33 PM   #43
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
The thing about that, though, is how would you take another possession receiver that's, say, a half-step faster than Driver with the same skill profile? How do you make the two WR different as they are in real life? Neither is elite enough for an "ability" for speed, but they don't have the same speed.

Heck, even for the CIT - maybe Driver is #5 at catch in traffic in the game, good enough for an "ability" but this other guy is #4 - also good enough for an "ability" - but you do you make them different if they both have the "ability" and that's all you can set?
I like it better not knowing who is faster or who is better at catch in traffic. People debate that all the time with different players. You tell me, who is better on 3rd down or in traffic, Donald Driver or Hines Ward? How many points better?

I say just make a possession guy play like that and a deep threat play like they should. If they are on the fence as far as abilities, they shouldn't get the bonus, simple as that.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:53 PM   #44
MVP

cubsball899's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
I like it better not knowing who is faster or who is better at catch in traffic. People debate that all the time with different players. You tell me, who is better on 3rd down or in traffic, Donald Driver or Hines Ward? How many points better?

I say just make a possession guy play like that and a deep threat play like they should. If they are on the fence as far as abilities, they shouldn't get the bonus, simple as that.
exactly. and the game is going to know whos faster by a point or whatever but its not going to be altogether visible in any way how much faster is an 87 speed in madden than an 86? sure if you line em up and race them then you'll see who's faster but as far as the game is concerned they both can break away from 90 percent of linebackers and probably won't outrun corners and safetys
Old 02-07-2010, 10:25 PM   #45
Rookie

OVR: 4

I favor the 2k system: What does a player do or not do that makes them different then a league average player?

Madden ratings are totally blown out of proportion; the fact that OVR has become a stat that needs to be updated on a week-by-week basis proves the ratings no longer stand for anything. What does a player do well, and what do they not do well?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-07-2010, 10:26 PM   #46
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsball899
exactly. and the game is going to know whos faster by a point or whatever but its not going to be altogether visible in any way how much faster is an 87 speed in madden than an 86? sure if you line em up and race them then you'll see who's faster but as far as the game is concerned they both can break away from 90 percent of linebackers and probably won't outrun corners and safetys
Exactly; a 1-100 rating system, while easy to implement, is totally convoluted. APF 2k8 was on the right track, but needed to expand more to be viable.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:43 AM   #47
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamerk2
I favor the 2k system: What does a player do or not do that makes them different then a league average player?

Madden ratings are totally blown out of proportion; the fact that OVR has become a stat that needs to be updated on a week-by-week basis proves the ratings no longer stand for anything. What does a player do well, and what do they not do well?
I disagree with that logic.....

The ratings in Madden might not be perfect but they do matter.

In fact if you have a good idea as to what the ratings effect in gameplay you actually can make Madden one of the best all time sim sports games to date.

The fact that not many people really bother to do hands on tweaks to ratings on their own in Madden kinda leaves them in dark as to just how important the ratings are in that game.

Some guys get a false sense that ratings don't do anything when in reality if the ratings are edited right you'd see a totaly different game then what EA releases with default rosters in Madden.

It's kinda like NCAA Football people complain about the AI and the players really not having any identity amongst each other.

Truth be told I've done a great deal of work with EA's college football games in the last few years and you can basically do wonders with the game by overhauling the ratings.

You can actually make the game play the way you desire if you understand how the ratings work and translate to the field.

I don't know much about this game Backbreaker but it'll be very interesting to see what type of ratings system they have and if it's an effective system that allows you to alter gameplay to a SIM STYLE GAME. I think this title would be great for re-creating old school players to form something like an AFL league or USFL league.

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14

Last edited by Playmakers; 02-08-2010 at 12:46 AM.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:22 AM   #48
MVP

elgreazy1's Arena

OVR: 28

It all honestly depends on the type of gameplay they decide to go with. Naturally, if the game is very deep in terms of team management, stat tracking, & all the goodies micro-managers love then the ratings should be based on a measurable scale. Not necessarily numbers would be right because in real football players aren't give numeric ratings for intangibles, instead they're given grades & assessments/scouting reports. So there should possibly be either comments or even grades (A+ to F) on those type of things (ie: pursuit, football IQ, etc) while other trackables (ht, wt, 40 time, cone drill, bench presss, squat, power cleans, etc) should have numbers. For a more SIM feel the game will have to be very complex & deep with metrics.

Now if the game stays in an arcade style I think the ratings should be a hybrid. Some metrics but with generic grades (ie: Alphabets or "Excellent to Horrible" verbal ratings) and the use of iconography like the Abilities system, and to a lesser extent the Weapons of Madden, for quick recognition by gamers. For a fast game that's more arcade geared you want the user to be able to look at the teams & players and be able to understand them quickly without having to process too much data.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »