Home

Gameplay alone

This is a discussion on Gameplay alone within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-25-2010, 09:05 AM   #25
MVP

sniperhare's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Gameplay alone

Madden will still outsell this game by the thousands of units. I will probably buy both.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2010, 11:33 AM   #26
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcofor25
The NFL License is the icing on the cake for me. With a deep customizer they give you, you can use you imagination. Plus, If (insert fav. WR) dropped a pass, you more than likely would be mad and wondering why he missed that, but if it was Deon Thompson you would think "he's just not that good." Also, with fictional players I feel more emmersed in a career/season game mode.

Madden 10 was good. It wasn't great, but way better than 09 (still not better than 2k5). I dont expect BB to kill madden, but with time maybe it could.

When it comes to gameplay, I feel like I took a time machine to 2004-2005 when it was 2k vs. EA, except EA with a license. Two companies. Two prices. Two different games. BB should please the non-EA & non-NFL fanboys. I can see valid arguments with the injury and fatigue. If you cant get past that, thats your loss. Someone won't need their copy pre-ordered. The game will still be fun and the world keeps turnin'.
I'm with you on most of your points. I don't really care about an NFL license (playing offline franchise, the NFL players slowly disappear in favor of unknown drafted players anyway in a NFL licensed game). I also agree that Madden 10 was an improvement, but still cannot rise to the level of NFL 2k5.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:44 AM   #27
MVP

OVR: 55

The camera view is a strength of this game IMO. It appears as if there will be legitimate blind sides for players, and that definitely adds to the game. A big issue with passing in other games is how easy it is given that we can make 3 reads at once. I mean, it's so easy to read all the DB's in unison on your screen to immediately dissect the defense in previous games. Getting away from this will test user's football knowledge more in some areas and slow progressions down. That's a good thing.

I still think the blitz will be big in this game. Cover 0, send 6. If you can hide it pre-snap, the QB could get pretty flustered back there. Zone blitzes could be a legitimate nightmare for quarterbacks, too. Think, someone runs a fire zone and you throw right at the blitzers, but that's what they want you to do because the SS is rolling up behind it. You never see the dropping DE on the backside because of the camera. Those are good things.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 04-25-2010, 12:58 PM   #28
Rookie

radatdude2's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperhare
Madden will still outsell this game by the thousands of units. I will probably buy both.
Of course it will everyone knows that! Even if madden provided no press this year it would still outsell BB cause its Madden and the NFL. The game has been around for over 20 years now so people identify with its name. Now BB is something new and innovate. While i don't think the goal is to outsell madden i think its just to bring something new to the market to warrant a try. Its to provide a new way of playing the game of football. In the end your right they both represent football in two different ways so why not try them both.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:12 PM   #29
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
The game doesn't see a cone style passing system. It uses an up an personal camera that makes you scan the field for the open WR. Its a more realistic approach than anything Madden has done.

And what bad press has the game gotten? Outside one preview from Gameinformer, the game has got nothing but praise. That article was also written off an even in February. That was almost 3 months ago. I am sure a lot has been tweaked by then. And if not, thats the only article that bashes Backbreaker.
So you're ignoring the entire conference call that not only failed to really rebut the GI article, but basically confirmed it and then some? And you're going to be flicking the thumb stick to switch to available receivers, as you move around and try and avoid a sack, that is basically a (probably slightly better) version of the Madden vision cone passing. I will be happy to be wrong and the game be fun, but having to select my receiver with the right stick with the same speed as scanning the screen visually is not an idea I'm in love with, the Madden passing cone is no longer in that game for a reason.

As for the camera... and it adding blind sides and whatnot, to me it's the equivalent of driving a car with a neck brace on and no mirrors. Players do look around... again, with a Madden comparison, there's a reason they've had to adjust the camera angles in Superstar mode to be a bit further out, it wasn't fun and it was also very difficult being so zoomed in (and BB is more zoomed in than Superstar mode ever was). The lack of options here is what hurts the most though.

If the demo just reinforces all of these problems, I can see it being a really bad thing for this franchise.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:42 PM   #30
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
So you're ignoring the entire conference call that not only failed to really rebut the GI article, but basically confirmed it and then some? And you're going to be flicking the thumb stick to switch to available receivers, as you move around and try and avoid a sack, that is basically a (probably slightly better) version of the Madden vision cone passing. I will be happy to be wrong and the game be fun, but having to select my receiver with the right stick with the same speed as scanning the screen visually is not an idea I'm in love with, the Madden passing cone is no longer in that game for a reason.

As for the camera... and it adding blind sides and whatnot, to me it's the equivalent of driving a car with a neck brace on and no mirrors. Players do look around... again, with a Madden comparison, there's a reason they've had to adjust the camera angles in Superstar mode to be a bit further out, it wasn't fun and it was also very difficult being so zoomed in (and BB is more zoomed in than Superstar mode ever was). The lack of options here is what hurts the most though.

If the demo just reinforces all of these problems, I can see it being a really bad thing for this franchise.
With the first bold, I don't know what you are taking about. I didn't listen to the conference call, its too long for me.

Secondly, its nowhere close to the vision cone. With the vision cone you could still see the whole field and read the defense in under a second. You could also switch receivers instantly without having to use the joystick. You held down the trigger and hit the WR's button and you were staring that WR down. With BB, you are forced to play like a QB in real life. You have a real limited view and you have to go through your progressions and read the defense as the play is played out so you can see where to go with the ball. Its not really close to the vision cone at all.

Yeah, players do look around, but they don't turn their head 120 degrees. They look left and right a little. With the camera zoomed out like they have it and it aways looking at a smart angle, there is really no reason to look around anymore. You'll be able to see the sidelines and the cutback lanes. You're not going to be able to see sideline to the hash marks because thats not real at all.

From the videos I have seen, the camera is more realistic than any camera in a sports game to date.

― Plato
Old 04-25-2010, 03:57 PM   #31
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

http://www.operationsports.com/MMChr...nference-call/

.... that conference call.

You back up a lot of these options with comparisons to real life, in a game where everyone looks like a pro wrestler (if not bigger), has no fatigue (so why are there 60 people on a team then?), no injuries, and no mistakes (no replay).

I think you're missing my point with the vision cone comparison, it is not mechanically identical, but a forced layer on top of the passing game. A QB 'in real life' scans the field with his eyes, as we do on the TV screen. Instead we get a limited camera view and can really only scan as quickly as mechanics allow via the right thumb stick... exponentially slower than any visual + button system.

Back to my original point, the demo will be available as late as possible to avoid articles confirming all of the bad press this game is getting. Reviews aren't going to be too kind to it either I suspect. I will be happy to be wrong and the game being fun, but they seem to have made some choices that are in direct opposition what I'd expect would be fun.

Last edited by mestevo; 04-25-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2010, 04:49 PM   #32
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
http://www.operationsports.com/MMChr...nference-call/

.... that conference call.

You back up a lot of these options with comparisons to real life, in a game where everyone looks like a pro wrestler (if not bigger), has no fatigue (so why are there 60 people on a team then?), no injuries, and no mistakes (no replay).

I think you're missing my point with the vision cone comparison, it is not mechanically identical, but a forced layer on top of the passing game. A QB 'in real life' scans the field with his eyes, as we do on the TV screen. Instead we get a limited camera view and can really only scan as quickly as mechanics allow via the right thumb stick... exponentially slower than any visual + button system.

Back to my original point, the demo will be available as late as possible to avoid articles confirming all of the bad press this game is getting. Reviews aren't going to be too kind to it either I suspect. I will be happy to be wrong and the game being fun, but they seem to have made some choices that are in direct opposition what I'd expect would be fun.
Your missing a few huge points. The passing is all done on the right stick. The vision cone forced you to either hit R2 and the face button and then the face button a second time to pass, or move the right stick and then find the face button. This system allows it to happen faster.

You also act as tho this game is already getting killed by people who have previewed the game. You skip over the joystiq and xbox360 previews as well as sveral others and go right to the GI review where alot of his information has already been proven wrong.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »