Home

My advice to the Makers of BackBreaker

This is a discussion on My advice to the Makers of BackBreaker within the Backbreaker forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 08:50 AM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 8
Re: My advice to the Makers of BackBreaker

I wish they would just give us the option on changing the view.....that's something that to me should of been obvious..
Old 05-22-2010, 10:08 AM   #34
All Star

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny "Too Tall"
It just makes more sense from an economics points of view to appeal to as many as possible and I just get the feeling the camera angle is really going to turn some people off. I kinda felt the same way about AP2K8, because they didn't have a franchise mode and they included generic players. So close, yet a couple little things completely screw it up.
I think it also needs to be understood - especially by those of us in the know - that this is their first attempt at making a football game. I'm all for being given more options, that can never be a bad thing. But I don't think throwing an additional camera angle in is as simple as it may seem to some. Just as it wasn't simple for 2K to throw a franchise mode into APF. I think trying to develop a non-licensed game in an environment as restrictive/prohibitive as this NFL exclusivity situation is difficult enough w/o us killing it dead on arrival because of certain features.

Madden is in year 5 of next gen, and it JUST got around to being able to add a presentation camera view in year 4. And a borked one at that; it's nothing like APF's or even 2K5's - it's more like a simple view from the side. But even then I read how hard it was for Tiburon to get programmed. The first few years they didn't even have multiple camera options at all. And that's over several years. I understand people need to make purchasing decisions based on their financial situation and whatnot. But I think we should try to show some understanding that these non-licensed games have enough of an uphill climb to make w/o us making it a little harder. Or we'll never get additional options given how hard EA and the NFL has made it for anyone else to create a football game

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 05-22-2010, 10:47 AM   #35
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16

I don't even think we need camera options per se. Most games these days either have unplayable cameras (like NBA 2k) or limited cameras (madden/NCAA). I just wish they hadn't used 3rd person action games as their inspiration for this game. It feels like I'm playing Alan wake, not football.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2010, 10:49 AM   #36
T.C
Banned

OVR: 2

Its only there first game, i dont expect it to be perfect.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:01 AM   #37
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperVictoria
The camera view may do several things--however, "providing a true represenation of field vision" ain't one of them. I'm not knocking anyone for digging this camera, but claiming it's more "real" is nonesense.
actually it's not nonsense. field vision(reading the D pre snap) is forced upon you here, which is closer to real than the god cam...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratic
it's obviously more real than what we've had, there are reasons why QB's with poor vision, or those who only focus on 1 receiver don't make it far in the nfl. God's view eliminates any of that...
agreed.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:35 AM   #38
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16

I love how everyone has glommed onto this idea of "god cam" and are now all using the same verbiage.

The game needs more cues to take into account that football players don't just use their eyes, whether they be visual, rumble, or sound. Also, the player character should be translucent, instead of solid. Those two things would make it much more friendly to the player. As it stands the player character takes up about 60% of screen real estate, which makes it impossible to see, imo.

Also, the philosophy of the camera completely breaks down when the runner's head moves (to look at oncoming tacklers), yet the camera doesn't swivel or pan so that you can see what the runner is seeing.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:47 AM   #39
Banned

Nintari's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratic
you wouldn't be able to have it with options online because a birds eye view player would have an advantage over a thirdperson view. For offline, it wouldn't be a problem though.
Simple. When searching for an online game, the match making auto detects whether or not you're in god cam or third person and then matches you with a player who's also using that camera. Then, atleast for online, lock it in place so neither can switch out.

Options are always better.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:51 AM   #40
MVP

RaiderKtulu's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
I love how everyone has glommed onto this idea of "god cam" and are now all using the same verbiage.

The game needs more cues to take into account that football players don't just use their eyes, whether they be visual, rumble, or sound. Also, the player character should be translucent, instead of solid. Those two things would make it much more friendly to the player. As it stands the player character takes up about 60% of screen real estate, which makes it impossible to see, imo.

Also, the philosophy of the camera completely breaks down when the runner's head moves (to look at oncoming tacklers), yet the camera doesn't swivel or pan so that you can see what the runner is seeing.
You know, I'll give you those as legitimate points. It would be nice to be able to swing the camera to the sides to look around without changing direction. They could have mapped that function to the left & right buttons while keeping the rest of the controls the same.

So, there's something for BB2 to add, along with injuries. Still doesn't mean we need GodCam though.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games > Backbreaker »